THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Live! Report From Mahenge North, Tanzania
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Live! Report From Mahenge North, Tanzania
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Great Post, Keep-em coming! Keep a close vigilant watch on Walter. He might revert to his Witch-Doctor Voodo tactics!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
This ia amazing!!

I find myself checking this thread every few hours! Thanks for updating us.

It's just like a hunting camp. I go out for the day, see nothing, and see everyone else's success at the end of the day. Smiler

Just like being there!!

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb

Glad you're sharing your great fortune with us ... Thanks!!!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed

Old bean, having problems with my phone line for a couple of days and this is what happens. sofa

Keep posting stuff as it happens. BTW, can I be the first one to sign up now for for your new DVD's, huh, huh? beer beer wave

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We left camp at 6.30, and less than half a mile later we found the tracks of some bulls. We decided not to follow them,
as they were heading into very thick bush, where we knew we are not going to be able to gtet a shot at them.
We continued on, and about a mile later we saw a herd of buffalo. We got downwind and followed them. Somehow they split into two herds, and we followed the smaller lot.
We continued this for over an hour, just walking parallel to them and trying to see if we could get a bull. Eventually they got into some clearance, as they joined a herd of wildebeast.
There were some young bulls, anut nothing mature enough to shoot.

We left them and went back to follow the other herd. Two hours later we saw them feeding in very long grass. Again, we kept walking parallel to them, hoping to get a shot at one
of several large bulls. The grass was very thick, and the ground uneven. We could see some feeding about 200 yards away, but those 30 yards from us were totally obsecured.
Eventualy we could see one of the bulls come into a clearing, and I fired a shot at him.
The rest of the herd turned back and ran off. We ran after him, hearing the death bellow of the bull we have shot. We followed thos for about half a mile, but, we could not get to see any bull we could shoot.
The herd turned back and ran behind us. Apparently passing by the dead bull we had already shot. Our game scout and trackers had to climb trees to avoid being run over.

We cut up the buffalo, and took half of it and hung it up for lions, and headed to the camp to have lunch.

We found the the other truck back, and everyone was asleep. Dwight had shot a buffalo bull two.

Lunch was quickly served, and Walter, who stayed back this morning, told us we have to enjoy his company in the afteroon.

We left camp at 3, and went to put up a lion bait. About a mile short of there, we saw a large herd of buffalo feeding on a hillside about 500 yards away.
We made a plan to go ahead of them, and may be get a chance to shoot one.
As we got closer, we saw that they were spread all over the hillside, and were feeding towards us. We just sat behind some grass and waited for them.
One bull, came clear about 200 yards away, and I took a shot at him. He ran 27 steps and dropped dead. We found that my bullet had had hit him at teh top of teh heart, and tore it to pieces.
The bullet was lodged under the skin on the opposite side. But, it seems to have lost large chunks off! It appears that the copper stock we used must have had some air bubble is it.
We picked some of those as we made them, but, this one must have gotten through the quality control department - probably when Walter was in charge!

Photos of the bullets will be posted when I get back.

Dwight also shot a buffalo today.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Exellent report and photo again. And you are now making custom frangible bullets through air injection into copper stock as well! Big Grin

I hope no more of your bullets self-destruct.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed

Glad you are shooting well. Four buff total in 3 days? This is neat to be able to follow along.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
This is great! It sure is a great way to start the day. I'm in such a good mood that I think I'll take my 27 year old secretary out for lunch.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eeker A pygmy buffalo ??? roflmao roflmao

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm in such a good mood that I think I'll take my 27 year old secretary out for lunch.

Is she the one in your avatar??? Eeker

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Once again, great report.

It's like I'm along for the ride.

How could anyone sleep in or stay in camp when on an African Safari?

Is an African Safari that common place to Walter??

I would love the oppotunity to go to Africa so many times I thought I could sit around at camp or sleep in on any day that I could be hunting.

Thanks for keeping us updated!!!!!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great report, thanks for keeping us dreaming of africa.
safe hunting

Posts: 40 | Location: MA., USA | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

We had a relatively lazy day today. We went around checking our baits. We found one lioness at one of them,
and a leopard had eaten the warthog we left him. We had to restrain Roy fron strangling Walter, as he just walked
next to the bait tree and had a leak!

Checking baits took most of the day, but we did manage to follow two dugga boys, which winded us and ran down wind into very long grass.
We gave up the chase, as we did not think there was any likelyhood of us seeing them in there.

Todd shot a zebra, and we are all sitting by teh fire wating for dinner. Tonight Anna-Marie has prepared buffalo curry.
Her curry is very popular with us at the hunting camp.

To say we are all having a great time is an understatement

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has Todd ever taken any of his 20-caliber rifles to Africa to try?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had to restrain Roy fron strangling Walter, as he just walked
next to the bait tree and had a leak!

Eeker Eeker Eeker

Thanks again for the real-time reporting and pictures.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Just tie Walter to the tree next time. I'm sure he'll empty his bladder when a nice tom leopard comes to the bait.... maybe more!

Let me know when you get the "right" bull and thanks for the updates. It really helps with PSD!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, the "Usual Suspects."

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes nut

Lo do they call to me,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Saeed. Thanks for the safarilog.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We spent all morning playing silly buggers with a herd of buffalo in extremely thick bush! 10 yards away and we could not see each other!
We continued this for 3 hours, then we came across fresh elephant cow dung, with babies. At this point, we decided to leave the forest to them,
and go look for something else.

We went to check our baits, and found our warthog has been completely eaten, so we replace it with a zebra leg.

The lionesses have also finished the buffalo half we left them, so we spent the afternoon looking for some bait.

We stalked several hartebeast and zebra, and the wind always turned against us. Just before sunset, I managed to shoot one zebra.
Which we plan to add to the lionesses, hoping they might invite a boyfriend to dinner.

Walter was left to suffer in camp!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Saeed, with the cats. I hope the male lion have not developed purely nocturnal habits, as they do in some quarters.

As you well know, leopard and lion are nothing but hard, repetitive work, usually day after day after day.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leaving Walter behind in camp could prove more dangerous than tracking buff in the tall grass. Can you imagine the kinds of tricks he might conjure up with noone to watch after him. Very scary indeed.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I can't tell you how much I enjoy your daily updates!

The thing I don't understand is, what is everyone else in your party doing while you are away hunting? How would they not want to come with you and experience some first rate stalking and hunting???

I for my part would not stay in camp one minute longer than necessary...

All the best from Germany,

elwood.

Posts: 337 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I, too, am enjoying the regular updates. Thanks for the vicarious thrill.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell everyone hello and give them my best..
Ray

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Are you able to report on the terminal performance of the Walterhog Type II bullets (bigger hollow point) as compared to the Walterhot Type I bullets that were used in previous years?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
500grains question is vastly more important than mine, but...is Walter wearing his "special" bedroom clothing we were shown from the last safari? Pleeeeze, no repeats of that type of pic. sofa

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Thanks for the updates. Please keep the pictures coming. Any videos to follow?

Tom T

Posts: 17 | Location: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We woke up and saw evidence that buffalo bulls have visited our camp! Walter thought it was his lucky day, as he wanted to shoot a buffalo.
We saw that they have gone into some very thick forrest a few hundred yards from the camp. That put a damper on Walter desire to go after them.
We decided to go look for something else. And soon came across the tracks of a buffalo herd.

They seemed to be feeding towards an open area. We soon caught up with them, and found them spread over a very large area. There were several hundreds of them.
We got lucky, and found a corongo that ran parallel to them. We went into the corongo - small, dry river - and tried to see if we could see one of the bulls to shoot.
This continued for quite a while, but all the bulls we could see where at the far side. After a couple of hours of this, we decided to take a chance and shoot one, which turn out to be
270 yards away. My first bullet took him high in the lungs, as he was standing broadside. He ran off a few yards, turned around, and stood with his head down.
I fired another shot at him, hitting him at the junction of the neck and shoulder. He ran behind some grass, and we could not see him any more.

We walked to him, and found him dead. The first bullet went completely through, and the second was lodged in the opposite hip. We were very happy with this performance.
We followed the rest of the herd, trying to shoot one. We caught up with them, but the wind was changing so much, we never managed to get a clear shot at any bull.

We gutted and cut up our bull, and took him to camp. Soon after, the other hunters turned up with another buffalo bull, which Dwight shot. He was sporting a fantastic half moon
over his right eye! He got too excited and crowded the scope, and provided the rest of us with some amusement.

We are all sitting by the fire, and soon we will have dinner. Life does not get any better!

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Life does not get any better!

I do not think you will get any argument here!

Thanks for the report -- now where is today's picture? roflmao

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Damn, your zebra is beautiful. I gotta go to Tanzania and shoot a zebra!

I like my Namib Hartman mountain zebra, but man that Tanzania zebra is beautiful.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you've got me getting up at 4 am thinking about what you are doing in Tanzania. nut
This is too cool. Way better than the TV.The photos and followup are like dessert waiting for us after your return.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I feel like I am there along side you men! Great report! How is the camp jester holding up?

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
sounds like your having a great time but.... we need more photos Saeed!!!

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have been trying to get Walter into the mood to shoot a buffalo. And when nwe succeeded, we have to find a buffalo easy enough for him.

We know where two old dugga boys hang out, so we left early this morning to see if we can catch them in the open.

After quite a bit of encouragement, we managed to get Walter out of the truck, and I carried his rifle and ammo, and got him to follow the two bulls with us.

A few minutes later, he said he was well and truly "programmed" for buffalo, and all we have to do is find them.

He was as good as his word, as he stayed with us for almost 2 hours as we chased those two bulls in very thick grass. They managed to evade us, but Walter, sadly, stayed "programmed for buffalo"

We drove back to camp just before sun down, and we saw a big warthog standing not very far from our track. We tried to get Walter to shoot it, but he insisted he was only "programmed" for buffalo today, so I shot the pig.

The othet hunters are still out. They are supposed to build a lion blind.

We are having great fun with lots of scorpions. They are everywhere! I killed 3 in my bathroom this morning. Roy had one in his bed last night, and Todd and Dwight are emptying spray cans of insect repellent every 5 minutes!

We found a puff adder on teh road today, and tried to take a video of it. It did not like that at all, and started attacking the camera.

Camp life is settling down to the usual banter. Everyone is trying thier best to be as nasty to the others as possible. The only ones spared so far are the ladies. Rene, Leoni and Anna-Marie. How long is this going to last is anyone's guess.

We have been eating everything we shoot, and last night we had zebra "Vienna schnitzerls". Prepared by Anna-Marrie.

Tonight we are having buffalo steaks, cooked right here on the fire in front of me as I write this.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have been eating everything we shoot, and last night we had zebra "Vienna schnitzerls". Prepared by Anna-Marrie.

Tonight we are having buffalo steaks, cooked right here on the fire in front of me as I write this.

You are making me hungry!

Too bad Walter did not catch up to the buffalo. Maybe tomorrow.

Administrator
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures once again.

Walter is posing as if he shot the warthog!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bull with nice bosses. Looks like you guys are feasting for a good while.

Lo do they call to me,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, this is great!! Congratulations on your kills.. Could you also post a picture or two of Dwight and his buffalo ?? While you're at it, let's see a picture of his "scoped" eye !!!

Give him a hearty congrats from me for getting his last HOF point.
Pat Byrne