Find
Notify
Tools

Sable / Roan
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Where to and with whom for the best chances of success for sable and roan on the same safari?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Scott - no roan, but Jumbo told me you can go hunt sable and PG for $500/day day rates in Niassa...

BTW- did you get my email the other day?

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

I am hunting the Save with Terry Anders/Savuli next year for Sable and Eland. I don't know if they have Roan. I saw some Roan in Zambia last year on Munyamadzi.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
No hunting roan in Zim it is royal game as I understand.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted sable and roan (and sitatunga) in northern Zambia with Muchinga. Tondwa is a very cool place to hunt, especially for a geologist like me. Got the roan, couldn't find the right sable. Had a couple of mature bulls in the crosshairs, but held out for bigger and didn't find him.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
you will have to look towards zambia or tanzania , western tanzania its a very doable option good populations of both , you need to have a 21 day licence for them ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Don't forget your checkbook. rotflmo

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kasonso Busanga GMA in Zambia

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know after July 12th.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw some nice roan while hunting buffalo with Mike Heath in the Northern Luangwa area in Zambia. Don't know about sable in that area.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Scott,
Since you have hunted with Muchinga, and successfully I might add, I would give Laura a call and see what they could set up in Tondwa. I think they have a 14 day "classic" safari that includes opportunities at both animals. Zambia would be my first pick, western Tanzania, which is a much more expensive option, would be my second, and then there are several game ranches in South Africa and Namibia that could offer both.
Cheers,
Russell

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I shot my “southern” Roan in the Caprivi Strip some years ago (2003) when on a tracking lion hunt, the was a very limited quota of sable and roan, and I don’t know if this exists any longer. There are plenty of Roan in Cameroon (savannah hunts…offering you an opportunity to experience a slightly different flavor of Africa and defer the sable to a future trip), as well as Benin (Russell shot one there IIRC). To be honest, the greatest part of a roan hunt to me is/was in the tracking, similar to an Eland but given the rarity perhaps a bit more special. Like a buffalo hunt where somebody is going to shoot one in a lifetime, if one were to spot from the truck and then shoot, you would be missing what makes a Roan hunt special IMHO. The mounted trophy is not nearly as unique or impressive as a Sable. Given the cost Scott…I would suggest considering how important a Roan is to you. If it is, and important to hunt both at the same time, then I third Zambia. Good luck in your quest!!! Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tondwa is OK - i saw lots of roan but very few sable. the sable come there latter in the season when water in the bush dries up. but you can get a hellova nice sitatunga there. be aware that roan carries a big trophy fee

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheapest and best place to hunt West African Roan is W.Africa. No Sable though.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Kafue in Zambia and western Tanzania. As Ivan mentioned, you'll need a 21 day license in Tanzania to hunt them both and in the Kafue you have to pre-pay the trophy fees so it can feel a little iffy. You could probably do it on a 14 day license in Zambia, but I'm not 100% on that.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys, but it is getting too steep for my blood. I was hoping Zambia would come through and I could add Kafue Lechwe and sitatunga. But....

I think I'll look towards Mozambique for sable, whitebearded wildebeest and eland for 2014.
Somebody make me a deal.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
whitebearded wildebeest

That would be a Tanzania only animal. I think you can get Nyassa wildebeest in northern Moz though.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Maki, I mistakenly thought they were the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As Ivan mentioned, you'll need a 21 day license in Tanzania to hunt them both

In addition and the interesting part, if you get yourself linked with the right outfitter, you can get Lesser Kudu, Gerenuk, Fringe Eared Oryx, Grants and Thomsons Gazelles, among others, thrown into the bargain. Wink Nowhere else would you get this option.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Ivan said, western Tanzania is your best bet (for both Sable & Roan). If you just want a big sable, the block I hunt in Tanzania (near Selous GR) has the absolute best sable I have ever seen. We see sable bulls almost daily. Our clients shot 43" & 44" bulls in the last two years.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
As Ivan said, western Tanzania is your best bet (for both Sable & Roan). If you just want a big sable, the block I hunt in Tanzania (near Selous GR) has the absolute best sable I have ever seen. We see sable bulls almost daily. Our clients shot 43" & 44" bulls in the last two years.

Which block?

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim, what would the name of the operator in the Niassa Reserve be that I could contact for sable?

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Certain areas in the Kafue are probably best for the two species. And note the Kafue has consistently produced some of the biggest Sable in Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
I'll let you know after July 12th.

I got a decent Roan and decent Sable with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue.

"Fairgame" on this board.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Tanzania and Zambia. Thats the list.

Zambia gets the nod IMO due to the fact that you can hunt a monster sable there with a chance to get a good to nice roan as well.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SBT
Hope I don't crack you up
But last year with Karl I seen some great Sable but did not have a permit but he did have one for a Roan permit and I did harvest a great 24" roan. So karl has both in the Caprivi but need to book way ahead very few permits. I have reserved the sable permit for 2013. As you know by now these trophy fees are not cheap.
Not sure but I think Roan fees is at least $9000 and Sables $8000 but may be wrong.
Use Karl's gun then no problems with the bogus gun permit problem.
This would be a great 10 or 12 day hunt maybe Dd an elephant.
I want that big Sable I seen last year a huge back scratcher.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed a nice one with Nchila Reserve (Pete Fisher) in Zambia. He has about 500 sable and a bunch of roan on his place.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Western Tanzania has both and in good numbers in some areas.

Posts: 1819 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
If I were serious about a Roan I would go to west Africa and chase Lion at the same time.....for a lot less than the price of lion OR Roan anywhere else.