Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Allen Day...RIP
 Login/Join

posted
I know that Allen used to post here frequently a few years ago so thought I would post this for those here who knew him and/or considered him a friend. Allen passed away yesterday after a 2 year battle with brain cancer. He was just 53yrs old and leaves a wife and 2 step daughters. I've shared a campfire with a lot of good folks over the years, but none any better than Allen.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
This is terribly sad news.

Allen had a lot of experience and was always unselfish in sharing the lessons he had learned.

Tomorrow is promised to none of us, but by any measure, Allen was taken too soon.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13398 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My condolences to the family.As said, that is way too young.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear that.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad news indeed as he provided us with a lot of good information.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad deal. Rest in Peace.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I never personally met Allen but I talked to him on the phone a number of times--this was several years ago, around 1999-2000, He was an extremely knowledgable individual and I appreciated his advice and guidance as I prepared for a 2002 Cape buffalo hunt for my youngest son.

I did not know Allen was ill--I wish I had; I would have tried to contact him again.

My condolences to his family.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
That is sad news indeed.

I did not know Allen personally, but a few of my friends counted themselves blessed to know and have hunted with the man.

My thoughts are with his family. Rest in peace, Allen.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
That's sad, Allen was a customer of mine and he was a stand up guy, I didn't even know he was sick. Condolences to his family.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My sincerest condolences as well.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I had heard that he was quite ill.

It's very sad. I always enjoyed talking to Allen. Please pass my condolences on to his wife and kids.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Holy crap. That is just terrible.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Sorry Allen. See ya on the other side.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had not met Allen or even spoken to him on the phone but I did converse with him occasionally on this and other sites. On paper (or on the monitor), I liked him. I've been missing his comments over the past while and thought he was maybe just tired of some of the BS one sees on these message boards. It never occurred to me that he might be ill.
This weekend, my wife and I are walking in one of those Relay for Life things for the Canadian Cancer society. I'll add his name to our list of those lost. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
This is typical of Allen, keeping his illness to himself! Allen was a very knowledgable hunter, and rifleman. He was about the only one that I can remember that Mark Sullivan did not shoot any of Allen's animals. That is because Allen did it right every time, making the first shot count! I hope he is hunting Buffalo and lion in the happy hunting ground with his D'Arcy Echols custom rifles he so loved!

............R.I.P. Allen Day

My condolences to his wife, and step children!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Terrible news. My condolences to all his family and friends.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Really sad news, he was far too young. Always liked his posts and reports, I think the hunting fields are diminished with his passing.

Condolences to his family and friends.

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow what a shock. Allen was one of the good guys I hated to see leave the AR Forums. He was a principled man who formed his own opinions and held to his beliefs. The world is poorer for his passing. My condolences to his family. Rest in peace my friend.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. I too enjoyed his posts on AR. News like this makes all the problems we face each day seem so little.

RIP.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tribute to Allen, Nickudu. Everyone should look at it. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad news indeed.

My condolences to his family and friends. I enjoyed his postings here.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Many questions on another forum as to the whereabouts of Allen. He will be missed, always a gentleman.

Thanks for pictures Nick.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I didn't know him, but sorry to hear about the passing of a fellow hunter. I wish the best for his family.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Godspeed Allen.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen was a star. In "Death and Double Rifles,"
he used his bolt action "Legends" to legendary effect.
Allen had his way with Mark Sullivan.
Allen did it right, always.
RIP
Good to see some oldtimers dropping by for the
bon voyage to the Happy Hunting Ground.
Some things we are not supposed to understand.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Allen a few times via email and he was most helpful explaining various nuances of the Model 70. His choice of using Echols Legend rifles supported his position and I am sad to hear of his passing.

May ye rest in peace, Allen.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I missed Allen here on AR and am saddened by his passing. He was a stand-up guy.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nick,
Thanks for the tribute to Allen. He was certainly a class act all the way.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of partsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John S:
I know that Allen used to post here frequently a few years ago so thought I would post this for those here who knew him and/or considered him a friend. Allen passed away yesterday after a 2 year battle with brain cancer. He was just 53yrs old and leaves a wife and 2 step daughters. I've shared a campfire with a lot of good folks over the years, but none any better than Allen.

That is sad news, he was younger than me, sounds like he left a fine legacy.

"The problem with the gene pool is there is no lifeguard"

Posts: 171 | Location: Poco , B.C. Canada | Registered: 11 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Allen was my friend too. We met here as I have so many other great folks. Allen helped me with all the preparations for my first safari, even introducing me to John Sharp who as a lot of you know is who I hunt with. As I sit here typing this, I'm thinking of the Westley Richards leather cartridge holder he gave me for my first safari. When we finally met at SCI Reno, we had dinner and the next day we toured the convention where I introduced him to Craig Boddington and he introduced Sullican to me. He was a true expert on all things Africa as well as fine rifles and cartridges. He will be missed. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Our deepest condolences to the family.
My father had a battle with brain cancer, but he was over 80 by then.

Very sad indeed, especially for someone so youg.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67016 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My God that's bad news and shocking. I'd heard a rumor that he was ill but.....

Prayers and condolences for the family. RIP Allen.........

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Sad sad news.
Way too young.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was a shock. Allen loved to hunt, and was a very ethical hunter. I never met him but enjoyed reading his posts here on AR. I know he will be missed by his friends and family. My deepest condolences to his family. He left us too soon.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have thought of Allen quite a bit since I got the news of his passing and I am reminded of the line from the movie Brave-Heart "All men Die, few men truly live" Allen lived it to the fullest.

He was true to himself, loved his family and enjoyed a fine life derived from hard work and intellect.

God Speed friend

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Very sad to see someone pass so young. Life is short; don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad news. His family has my condolences and prayers.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone who has a photo of Allen please post it? There are so many wonderful tributes being made about him. I only think it's appropriate that we put his picture up. I would do it, but I don't have an photos of him. Thanks.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moja,
Click on Nickudu's Tribute above.
Allen Day as we knew and loved him.
RIP

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup thanks I got it---inserting foot now.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote