New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slurs and Insults on AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Occasionally things in here get pretty heated, and someone types something to somebody that's pretty nasty. Outside AR, thousands of instances of cyber-bullying occur everyday. There's probably not a one of us, who hasn't been on each side of this equation somewhere in our Internet lifetime. We've all insulted people, and have been insulted.

If you become the object of an insult, my best advice is to try to shrug it off. I know it's hard sometimes, but responding to an AR insult gives the person on the other side exactly what he wants. I've found that most people who write stupid stuff to people on the Internet, would probably not have written what they wrote, if they had just taken ten more seconds to read their message before hitting the send button.

It's really not worth your time in life to engage someone on the Internet in an argument. You know exactly who you are, so do your friends and family. Why waste valuable time in your day, messaging some dope who doesn't even know you!

Or you can kill him with kindness, like I did to the guy who emailed me every morning, with only two words, "Stupid Nigger." Then one day I emailed him back two words, "Thank You." And it stopped. I never heard from the guy again.

We all post in here because we're passionate about the same cause. Unfortunately insults sometimes sidetrack certain threads. It's up to each poster to police his own words. If not, it's up to the next man, to do the next best thing.

Now don't all tear into me, because I'm not responding back!

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana:

I would say, "If I am so stupid, how come I have more hunting under my belt than you do?"

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Moja:

Actually, you have my highest respect for continuing to post here.

Especially in light of the veritable stream of casual anti-black comments (subtle and not so much)that are posted here on a weekly basis.

I am continually amazed at what some willingly, or just without thinking, will post on a public forum.

Your ability to take the high ground and turn the other cheek is amazing.

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally , I have seen little in the way of slurs. However, insults and generally hostile debate abounds. It is the single thing that I dislike the most on this site . We should all act like adults a d treat others respectfully no matter how wrong of ignorant we may think they are.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I am going to challenge all of you to a cage match!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BORING! AAZW called me a jerk earlier today so what, I then called him a jerk. If he came to DSC I would probably buy him a drink at the Sat nite party. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is Rich? Big Grin

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana Moja:

Well said

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Thanx. well said. beer

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
BORING! AAZW called me a jerk earlier today so what, I then called him a jerk. If he came to DSC I would probably buy him a drink at the Sat nite party. Big Grin

DOJ:

I said anyone who didn't tip a waiter for providing normal service was a jerk. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Do I get the drink providing I pay the tip? Sounds like a deal...

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Stupid Nigger."

Did he spell it correctly? Roll Eyes

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAZW, the shoe fits and it doesn't feel tight or cause blisters. Also I stand by my comment if you tip because it is expected you are a jerk.

On this subject, Tue eve wife and I were haveing dinner at the local dinner and I was having ham pot pie all you can eat. Our waitress was talking with some friends at the next table (behind me) my wife called to her 3 times all being ignored ( I wanted a refill) - you guessed it NO TIP!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
That is the one thing that I don't like about this forum. Negativity can get taken way too far. Healthy debate is good as one sword sharpens the other....but outright personal attacks and name calling are beyond common decency.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Hey, It's the internet. It's only insulting if you take yourself too seriously.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Marc,

Why is it OK for you to post the "N" word? It's either offensive on it's own merit or it's not?

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:

Moja - this is meant to be a compliment, so please take it that way! Your posting here is one of the best I have ever read on AR. You come across as insightful, kind and wise....and I do not throw these terms around lightly. Well Done!
I regret to say this does not appear to be coming from the same person I saw in "Fire and Ice". Please continue to show us more of "The Best of Moja" as you have done here in future postings, publications and videos.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I am amazed at the number of posters on AR that feel the need to be confrontational. It serves no purpose and keeps some very knowledgeable folks from participating.

Bwana Moja, your post is right on target tu2

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to challenge all of you to a cage match!

Only if you are smoking 'train wreck'.

jumping jumping jumping

animal

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
A great post and a great lesson to all of us. Thanks Moja.

Some members have said that this is the internet and we should just ignore poor conduct. I agree with that in most cases. However I also believe that we all have a moral responsibility to each other and to the human community to stand up against somethings that are morally just wrong.

The internet has changed the way people learn and the way human cognitive process develops. Our kids learn differntly to how we learned 40 or 50 years ago! My wife took my boys aged 13 and 9 to a local Technology museum & they were amazed at some of the stuff I grew up with after i turned 20! They had never seen or knew about a telephone which had dials that you had to spin!

The point I am trying to make is that some truths need to repeated when called for or they get forgotten.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
Marc,

Why is it OK for you to post the "N" word? It's either offensive on it's own merit or it's not?

Steve

I think the difference Steve is that he's not calling anyone "the "N" word". He's relaying a story in which he was called "the "N" word" and telling us how he responded in a constructive/positive fashion. If you don't see the difference I'm not sure how to help you on that. Perhaps you're playing devil's advocate or fishing?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
Steve

I think the difference Steve is that he's not calling anyone "the "N" word". He's relaying a story in which he was called "the "N" word" and telling us how he responded in a constructive/positive fashion. If you don't see the difference I'm not sure how to help you on that.

Brett[/QUOTE]
tu2

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also wonder why some think they are funny when making fun out of another persons misfortune.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
RMEF Life member
Pheasants Forever life member
National Trappers Assn. life member
WTA member
Boone and Crocket club member
Wild Sheep Foundation member

Posts: 124 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Folks, it is the internet and that is just the way things are. I am not defending it at all. Personally I think some of the "discussions" that take placer On ANY of the internet sites are more harmful to hunter in general than anything the anti-hunting element can come up with.

Are things going to change, honestly no. We have internet anonymity, we are not setting around a campfire, because we know flat out that if we said some of the stuff we say on here, to a persons face, we would get our eye dotted along with possibly ending up having to unbutton our collar to fart.

On the internet, that is not a concern. Also, unfortunately, people are people, but we were not ALL raised the same way, with the same set of values, or by the same set of parents, and sometimes the only way you can get a point across, good or bad, is by calling someone a dumb son-of-a-bitch.

Wished things were not that way, but until everyone accepts the fact that other people have differing attitudes/opinions on any subject brought up and that they are entitled to those attitudes/opinions, nothing is going to change.

Just because you want someone to see things you way do, does not mean it will ever happen, no matter how noble your intentions.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats real low down to send you an e-mail like that every day,what an Asshole! i guess if brains were TNT he couldn't blow his nose Cool

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TwoZero:

Especially in light of the veritable stream of casual anti-black comments (subtle and not so much)that are posted here on a weekly basis.

I am continually amazed at what some willingly, or just without thinking, will post on a public forum.

I agree 100%. My least favourite aspect of this site (the personal attacks over hunting minutia or politics are relatively harmless) is the way the Southern African variety of racism seems to get picked up by Safari regulars from the US, Europe, or elsewhere. I have personally known more than a few people who I never would have imagined to be racist....but they go on a few safaris and lo and behold they are soon referring to "Ka(($rs" in regular conversation. Do some people who go on safari think it makes them as "cool" as their PH (who likely grew up in a much tougher and racially charged environment) to adopt his manner? Do people just feel like they can "be themselves" when surrounded by sympathetic ears? I don't know, but my vibe is that this sad sort of emulation became much more common around here when Obama was elected. If I were an African American hunter and visited this site, I would last about 10 minutes before moving on just to avoid the frustration.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by TwoZero:

I agree 100%. My least favourite aspect of this site (the personal attacks over hunting minutia or politics are relatively harmless) is the way the Southern African variety of racism seems to get picked up by Safari regulars from the US, Europe, or elsewhere. I have personally known more than a few people who I never would have imagined to be racist....but they go on a few safaris and lo and behold they are soon referring to "Ka(($rs" in regular conversation. Do some people who go on safari think it makes them as "cool" as their PH (who likely grew up in a much tougher and racially charged environment) to adopt his manner? Do people just feel like they can "be themselves" when surrounded by sympathetic ears? I don't know, but my vibe is that this sad sort of emulation became much more common around here when Obama was elected. If I were an African American hunter and visited this site, I would last about 10 minutes before moving on just to avoid the frustration.

One reason my 2009 safari was such a stunning success was that my PH Fulvio treated everyone respectfully. You could see they worked hard for him and that in turn made the whole safari a success. I remember when we had yet to bag to lion he conferred with the head tracker on his choice to go to the Rafiji River.

I only hunted with one overtly racist PH; he is dead now. I remember watching the French Open in his house after the hunt and his wife exclaiming blacks shouldn't be allowed to play. It took a lot away from that hunt.

I also can't help but wonder if the insinuation that Nixon was a little crooked had more to do with his skin color. We certainly never did hear anyone make a direct challenge. Just innuendo...

But racism is not just prevalent in Africa, it is prevalent here as well. I recall making a statement at lunch during a writer's hunt that we need to be more inclusive in hunting, that we need to reach out to African Americans, etc. That went over like a fart in church.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well said Marc.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
...You could see they worked hard for him and that in turn made the whole safari a success. I remember when we had yet to bag to lion he conferred with the head tracker on his choice to go to the Rafiji River.

Very admirable. Interestingly, I have seen this sort of mutual respect in the field even with very good (and racist) PHs. I do try very hard not to judge racial comments from that part of the world as I was not raised in that environment, I didn't see my friends farms burned, I do not work very hard daily under what must often be very challenging cultural circumstances

quote:

I remember watching the French Open in his house after the hunt and his wife exclaiming blacks shouldn't be allowed to play.

Yannick Noah might have had a thing or two to say about that. Smiler

quote:
I also can't help but wonder if the insinuation that Nixon was a little crooked had more to do with his skin color.

My vibe was that there existed a certain amount of resentment over Nixon perhaps getting special treatment from parks on the basis of his race.

quote:
I recall making a statement at lunch during a writer's hunt that we need to be more inclusive in hunting, that we need to reach out to African Americans, etc. That went over like a fart in church.

I could not agree more. If our sport is only for "rich white guys" we are doomed.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Good post Bwana Moja; this site should be all about fun and learning, but sometimes our passion for shooting and hunting can spill over into frustration and insults.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the OP, Moja - well said.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said Moja. I normally read the posts on AR to relax and let my mind head to the African bush. Would be a lot more peaceful without all the "hand bag" throwing!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bwana Moja:
Or you can kill him with kindness, like I did to the guy who emailed me every morning, with only two words, "Stupid Nigger." Then one day I emailed him back two words, "Thank You." And it stopped. I never heard from the guy again. QUOTE]

I sincerely hope that wasn't an AR guy, I'm assuming not? Frankly, I couldn't care less what "race" you are - to me you're just another hunter like the rest of us! I've enjoyed your dvd's, your posts on AR, and some of our private conversations - and I would personally hunt with you anytime!

I'm guilty of being a little over zealous in my defense of Africa's wildlife, the African Lion in particular. Certainly I meant no personal dis-respect, but sometimes we ALL need a little reminder - just like this. I know I do, thanks Marc!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aaron and to all you guys for your comments! You're wonderful people.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately there will always be 'haters'. How sad we hunters even have them.

Marc, you are a strong man, a scholar and gentleman.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a shame all the poor regular hunters didn't help bring many species back from the brink of extinson. I love rich guys ponying up the big fees to help save many species. It is a good thing the world isn't made up of just poor people, well Obama is doing his best to have that happen in this country.

The safari industry would not exist without the rich guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have learned that the keyboard is the cowards best friend.

While people can agree to disagree and have healthy spirited debate, the keyboard unfortunately gives others a forum to bully, accuse, and attack.

Killing them with kindness always works. People that hate just don't know how to react when you don't respond to their level.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on people, blaming the keyboard? Really?
We all know people (hermits excluded) who behave just like any of our fellow typists. Like blaming the gun for the stupidity of the human. There are just an enormous amount of scumbags on this planet, period. I would go so far as to say it is close to the preferred design.
Put the blame where it deserves to be, and stop forgiving or making excuses for them. I'm a big fan of "shunning". Forgiveness simply makes you feel better/superior, and does nothing to correct the problem.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutty:
I have learned that the keyboard is the cowards best friend.

While people can agree to disagree and have healthy spirited debate, the keyboard unfortunately gives others a forum to bully, accuse, and attack.

quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Come on people, blaming the keyboard? Really?
We all know people (hermits excluded) who behave just like any of our fellow typists. Like blaming the gun for the stupidity of the human. There are just an enormous amount of scumbags on this planet, period. I would go so far as to say it is close to the preferred design.
Put the blame where it deserves to be, and stop forgiving or making excuses for them. I'm a big fan of "shunning". Forgiveness simply makes you feel better/superior, and does nothing to correct the problem.

SG Olds, I don't think Hutty is blaming the keyboard at all! what he is saying, if I read him correctly, is "The skumbag uses the keyboard as a sheald to say things he would never have the courage to say to anyone face to face!" I think he is agreeing with you! Just my take on his coments, but you are welcome to interpret his post ant way you like, I did.
............................................................................................................... Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted Hide Post
I used to read AR every now and then but then I realized there are about a Dozen or so guys who treat this as their personal domain and they are what I call "INTERNET THUGS". These guys take great delight in calling names and insulting instead carrying on an intelligent discussion. After 1000 posts you ought to be kicked off the Forum and told to get a life.

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I don't think people are nice as pie to your face and then assholes on the Internet and you can't tell. I agree they may censure themselves talking to a real person, but you got to be seriously handicapped if you talk to someone 5 minutes in person and don't have a real clear understanding as to whether they are wasting our oxygen. The real problem with the Internet and is the same as with free speech, that is just cause you can do a thing doesn't mean you have any business doing it.

The Internet does give us an accurate measure of people so I guess that's the best thing about it, as well as the most depressing thing about it.

If you really want a kick in the nuts remember this... There vote counts the same as yours.

Hope that clarifys my thoughts.