Notify
Tools

Slurs and Insults on AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think people are nice as pie to your face and then assholes on the Internet and you can't tell. I agree they may censure themselves talking to a real person, but you got to be seriously handicapped if you talk to someone 5 minutes in person and don't have a real clear understanding as to whether they are wasting our oxygen. The real problem with the Internet and is the same as with free speech, that is just cause you can do a thing doesn't mean you have any business doing it.

The Internet does give us an accurate measure of people so I guess that's the best thing about it, as well as the most depressing thing about it.[/

That is an assumption on your part that does not hold water. I have met several folks in person from the various forums I am on/have been on, and rarely has the person been anything in real life that they seemed to be one the net.

The internet is an emotionless/faceless medium. Without looking a person in the eye, hearing them speak, judging them byu a few words typed onto a screen gives no accurate measure of the person.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it doesn't work for you. It does for me and I imagine I'm not alone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my experience, but I have never seen it work for sanyone. I have met lots of folk from off the various forums I visit, and to a person, none of them have ever been like what their on-line persona made it seem like they would be. The internet is too cold/sterile/impersonal and it is way too easy to form an opinion about a person based on how that person is responded to by other members of a site like AR.

Every one of us is guilty of forming loose alliances on forums, uually with folk that think or respond similarly to our own thoughts/beliefs on subjects. That is where the "dog piles" start. One of our "On Line Buddies" gets into a pissing match with someone, so we feel the need to charge right into the fray and defend our "Buddies" honor.

I live under the premise of advice one of the finest gentlemen I have ever had the honor of knowing gave me. We were setting talking one day and the subject came up about someone I had heard about but not met and asked my friend if he knew anything about the person in question. The comments I had heard were not glowing ones.

My friend looked me in the eye and stated the following, and I have never forgotten it, "Passing judgement on anyone's character or honesty with out ever actually talking to them face to face, shaking hands with them, or looking them in the eye, is wrong. Basing a judgement of what type of person someone is without having actual interaction with that person shows a lack of maturity and character on their own part."

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Moja, I think if we could learn to live by your words our world would work a lot better. patriot

quote:
We should all act like adults and treat others respectfully no matter how wrong of ignorant we may think they are.

What Larry said!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorseconsulting writes:

"Passing judgement on anyone's character or honesty with out ever actually talking to them face to face, shaking hands with them, or looking them in the eye, is wrong."
-------------------------------------------------

Pony: That's a good mantra to try to live up to in the hunting world, but how does that pertain to people in life we form opinions on, who we'll never meet. For example, let's say Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, or Barack Obama. Come November, us Americans are going to cast a ballot in support of one of these three gentleman. Most of us here have never met any of the three. So let's go back to the premise of advise you "live under".

"Passing judgement on anyone's character or honesty with out ever actually talking to them face to face, shaking hands with them, or looking them in the eye, is wrong."

I guess I'm asking, isn't that unrealistic? As humans we form opinions on character and honesty, based on what we read or what we see on television. Another good example is Mark Sullivan? Have you ever met him? Yet haven't you formed judgment on him, based on what you read here?

I exampled the U.S. Presidential vote and MS, only to serve as a basis for the point I was trying to make. In response, let's not sidetrack the thread to reflect personal preferences about the above named individuals.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moja,

I could not agree more. We all make judgements on imperfect information AND an imperfect ability to make those judgements.
If you don't accept that you are bound to make even more blunders in judgment that you normally would.

Crazy,

How many times have you seen the friends, family and neighbors of one serial killer or some psycho be interviewed after the arrest and say how normal the guy was? They all met your "John Wayne" meet and greet test and yet to a person they were all ultimately wrong.

The evidence suggests that a persons judgment of the character of another person whether by Internet or in person, is probably no better than even.
So I stick with my original point, that you can judge a person on the Internet as well as you can in person. In each case we don't do it very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My question is 'Which personality is the real person, the one you see on the internet or when you are face to face?"

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorse - I have to agree 100% with Moja and SG Olds on this. I once had a guy tell me the very same thing your friend did. I told him right then and there that he was full of baloney. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that meeting and talking to someone, shaking their hand and looking them in the eye tells you absolutely NOTHING about what is in their heart and mind. We can form very good opinions of people by what we hear about them through the media, or even what they post online, having never met them. For example, no one on this forum has ever met Hitler, Osama bin Laden, Moamar Gadaffi or Saddam Hussein face to face, yet we can certainly form an opinion of them based on what we've heard about their actions, can we not?

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forming an opinion about a "public" and a "private" person is not the same as they are in totally different realms. Most of the posters on AR I have never met nor read anything outside of AR about them. Moja's examples are totally in the public eye and every word they have uttered since kindergarden has been gone over and over. All that being said there are posters on here that I have met face to face and I can be civil with them in consversation, but would never want to share a hunting camp with them. does that makeeither of us a bad person, I don't think so.

If anyone wants to see an example of AR getherings come to Dallas and be lucky enough to be invited to a Thursday evening dinner with a group of us. Damn it was good last Jan. and voices got raised!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crazyhorse - I have to agree 100% with Moja and SG Olds on this. I once had a guy tell me the very same thing your friend did. I told him right then and there that he was full of baloney. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that meeting and talking to someone, shaking their hand and looking them in the eye tells you absolutely NOTHING about what is in their heart and mind. We can form very good opinions of people by what we hear about them through the media, or even what they post online, having never met them. For example, no one on this forum has ever met Hitler, Osama bin Laden, Moamar Gadaffi or Saddam Hussein face to face, yet we can certainly form an opinion of them based on what we've heard about their actions, can we not?

One, the discusssion is about normal people on internet forums, and 2 you are not from Texas where many folks judge a persons character from actual interaction with them.

Your analogy has nothing to do with interactions among normal everyday humans on internet forums.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pony: That's a good mantra to try to live up to in the hunting world, but how does that pertain to people in life we form opinions on, who we'll never meet.

Really simple concept, yuou Do Not form opinions about people you do not personally interact with. Politicians, you get on the internet and look up the information that is Publily available about them.

Until you started this discussion I had no idea you were black. I suppose you are from the direction the comments have gone, if I am wrong and my assumption offends you, my apologies.

To many individuals have fallen under the spell of talk radio hosts and the like, and base their "Opinions" on those individuals opinions. Trying to compare political candidates or world leaders to ordinary members of an internet site you might actually come into contact with is totally non-sensical.

I do not develope opinions on anyone till after I have actually interacted with them. People are talking about respect on this issue, try starting out respecting a person for the ability to have an opinion no matter how unpopular or varying from the "Norm"(???) whatever that is, beinmg willing to tate that opinion and stand behind it.

I view people open mindedly, and until I have actually met them/talked to them/looked them in the eye or shaken their hand, I give them the benefit of the doubt. I am talking about normal/everyday/ordinary people, not the examples that have given of Sadda,m Hussien or Obama.

Reality dictates, at least for the thinking person that we will never actually come in contact with persons on that level of prominence.

Not being disrespectful, but I do not live in a black and white world, my world is in living technicolor. I give everyone the benefit of the benefit of the doubt. sorry that seems so simple minded.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

One, the discusssion is about normal people on internet forums, and 2 you are not from Texas where many folks judge a persons character from actual interaction with them.

Your analogy has nothing to do with interactions among normal everyday humans on internet forums.

i never realized Texans have such a unique ability to accurately judge people when they meet them. i guess the fine folks at Enron were just a fluke when it came to making fools of a lot of people, including their Texas home boys. the best liars are those that will look you in the eye, spout a line of BS and convince you of its truth- and no doubt some of them will be from Texas- as well as all points elsewhere.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not lose nothing tpo Enron so what is your point?

Again like everyone else, you are referencing individuals the normal person in daily life or regular member of this site, will/would never interact with.

Anyone can be taken in by a snake oil peddler.

Most of the folks that Enron ripped off, forgot the first rule of doing business, if a deal seems to good to be true, it is. Greed and personal gain cloud too many peoples minds in situations like that.

Believe whatever you wish, I will keep working under the system I have been using for most of my 61 years, and that will not change. Have a good day and believe wharever you choose to

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
be lucky enough to be invited to a Thursday evening dinner with a group of us.

Lucky enough? Confused

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK post, but I haven't seen any mention of "African Hunting" involved? Confused

Not up to me to say if it belongs on another Fourm, but?? Who knows, who cares? Big Grin

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hall Monitor

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK post, but I haven't seen any mention of "African Hunting" involved?

Okay, did you notice who made the OP and where he is from?

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The fight and insulting threads are almost always the most popular, if measured by the number of views and posts. On some forums.

Work that one out.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
The fight and insulting threads are almost always the most popular, if measured by the number of views and posts. On some forums.

Work that one out.

Quite right John. A case in point,(from the best client thread) when does 'ledum' get to acknowledge the role USA sub-prime lending played its part in starting the present mess in the world economy. Just how small a town does he live in,to have so little knowledge, to lump Greece's problems with "the rest of Europe" (excepting Germany)What a prick! There you are that will finish off the thread.jc stir

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ledum probably remembers when the USA covered your sorry asses in WWII. Of course we are free game to the rest of the free world. flame BOOM

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn 'O wad some power the Giftie gie us,to see oursels as others see us.' Quote from (To a Louse) a Poem by Robert Burns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DOJ:

WWII was fought so long ago that most people who fought in it are dead. Clearly there are vets still alive, but I don't think you are one of them. Did you serve at all or are you another Cheney who had "other priorities?"

If you want to use your rules, we clearly owe France for their part in winning our independence. And using your "historical call option," African Americans today have a claim for slave reparations. I subscribe to neither; all of those who sacrificed are now dead and those who would benefit did nothing to earn it.

At some point, you need to move on...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
DOJ:

WWII was fought so long ago that most people who fought in it are dead. Clearly there are vets still alive, but I don't think you are one of them. Did you serve at all or are you another Cheney who had "other priorities?"

If you want to use your rules, we clearly owe France for their part in winning our independence. And using your "historical call option," African Americans today have a claim for slave reparations. I subscribe to neither; all of those who sacrificed are now dead and those who would benefit did nothing to earn it.

Well

My Uncle who walked all the way across France and into Germany in Pattons 3rd Army is sure still alive and has some pretty definite opinions about Europe.

Don't throw to big a loop there AAW

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
DOJ:

Well

My Uncle who walked all the way across France and into Germany in Pattons 3rd Army is sure still alive and has some pretty definite opinions about Europe.

Don't throw to big a loop there AAW

SSR

And so has Ms AZW's uncle, who is still alive. Each has a "claim" to sacrifice with respect to France. You, me, and DOJ do not.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
What slurs and insults?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chalmers:
Now why did you have to go and ruin a perfectly good, educational, informational, entertaining and thought-provoking thread by calling somebody a "prick." Really? Come on man!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Moja:
Chalmers:
Now why did you have to go and ruin a perfectly good, educational, informational, entertaining and thought-provoking thread by calling somebody a "prick." Really? Come on man!

Bwana Moja.
Sorry, would thorn in the flesh sound better. Big Grin
My apologies to ledum for the usage, I can be a prick somtimes.jc Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much much better! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAZW, I did not serve in WWII, but my Dad did in the European theater and by todays standards I suffered as a youngster because of his absence (to which I do not subscribe) which caused me to learn ways to earn monies i e he had the ability to buy hard candies which he sent home and I sold them to friends to get money to go to the 10 cent movie on Sat afternoons. Personally I spent a few years in uncle sams navy and patroled the straits between mainland China and the offshore islands and went GQ many times. Just answering your inquiry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
AAZW, I did not serve in WWII, but my Dad did in the European theater and by todays standards I suffered as a youngster because of his absence (to which I do not subscribe) which caused me to learn ways to earn monies i e he had the ability to buy hard candies which he sent home and I sold them to friends to get money to go to the 10 cent movie on Sat afternoons. Personally I spent a few years in uncle sams navy and patroled the straits between mainland China and the offshore islands and went GQ many times. Just answering your inquiry.

Thanks for serving DOJ!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

Work that one out.

Quite right John. A case in point,(from the best client thread) when does 'ledum' get to acknowledge the role USA sub-prime lending played its part in starting the present mess in the world economy. Just how small a town does he live in,to have so little knowledge, to lump Greece's problems with "the rest of Europe" (excepting Germany)What a prick! There you are that will finish off the thread.jc stir

All those countries are so tiny...I forget about them...we have cattle pastures bigger! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Andrew, there are many, including those on your lion conservation post! stir

Seriously, there are insulting comments made on hunting topics that side track the debate because of political agenda or personal animosity or both. The above thread was one such example.

quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
What slurs and insults?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote