Find
Notify
Tools

Premium Ammunition Poll, Part 1
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Question:
Question: If you hunt DG and buy ammunition, would you be interested in commercial ammunition, made with the best cases available in a given caliber, filled with the most accurate and temperature stable powder available, and topped by North Fork bullets; available as softs and solids matched to fly at the same velocity to the same POI. The pressure would comply with SAAMI or CIP, as applicable (at 120 degrees farenheit/54 degrees Celcius).
It would be available mail order in the US.
I would also obtain the export permit to send it to Europe, Canada, the former Commonwealth Countries (RSA, NZ, OZ, ZIM, etc.). In those cases it would go to a distributor.
Mike is doing a lot of developmental work with solids as we speak. He doesn't release a product until it meets his stringent performance specifications. Not all calibers would be available in solids right away, some of the smaller calibers maybe not for a long time (only so many bullets can be produced by a small operation and maintain quality).
I am planning on the following calibers in the next two years (timeline dependent on when my chemo [for chronic fatigue] starts and finishes): 458 Win Mag, 458 Lott, 416 Rigby, 416 Rem Mag, 375 H&H, 375 Weatherby. Soft points will be marketed in 9,3 x 64, 9,3 x 62, 340 Weatherby, 338 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby, 300 Win Mag, 30-06 Schpringfield.

Please vote for any calibers that you would be likely to buy if the quality is there (it will be) and the price point is fair (these won't be cheap, but I won't be bending you over either).

Just like my hometown of Chicago, please vote early and vote often. Unlike Chicago, you are welcome to do so even if you aren't a registered Democrat.

Choices:
458 Lott
458 Win Mag
416 Rigby
416 Rem Mag
375 H&H

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to start up an ammo business like Superior or Stars and Stripes?

If I were doing that I would pick 375 H&H as my bread and butter.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lawndart ----- If I didn't reload for all my own cartridges, I certainly would be in the market for any North Fork load. Because I have been shooting them for some time now, I shoot very little else. I still have old loads with other bullets that are equal in accuracy (very few), but no bullet produced in this country are their equal in performance and toughness in my opinion. As a rule the North Forks are the most accurate in some size for all the chamberings I shoot. Superior Ammo is loading them now and would offer you stiff competition if you jump in the business. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
btt

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
LD, you mean I have to be Democrat to buy in? Razzer

Seriously, I would definitely be interested in '06 (if I begged, .270 also?).

At any rate, hope you enjoy it and God bless as you go through that chemo,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doing some market research and numbers crunching while having test rifles built, and saving up for pressure barrels.

To survive at any business like this I have to occupy an underserved niche. When there is direct competition I have to beat the competition's price point and service.

I recently sold some unused dies and rifles. I found out how well, and how poorly Eeker the distribution end of things can go.

We all love to play with this cannon and that big boomer, but the majority of sales will be in 375H&H, 338 Win Mag, 300 Win Mag, 30-06, 270 Win, etc.

The big boys always try to increase their profit margin by cutting corners in production. Sometime a smaller concern will do a really good job, but price themselves out of the civilian market (Black Hills).

LD

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
wishing you much luck and success! thumb

i would love to buy some 30-06 when you are ready.

glad you agree north forks are the best undiscovered bullets around.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
do you have a name for your new line of ammo???

you are going to make a lot of people verrrrry happy

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
No 404 Jeffery? It's like only being able to vote for Democrats! Getting North Forks in Europe is no simple matter. I tried to vote twice (416 Rigby and 375 H&H) but apparently that is reserved for illegal aliens in California.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wink,

The difficulty with the 404 Jeffrey is loading it to CIP specifications doesn't make for a terribly energetic round. I haven't done any pressure testing yet, but it may only be 2,250 fps from a 24" barrel. If the demand is there I personally would love to make 404 Jeffrey ammunition.

Getting the sporting bullets and ammunition out of the US is mainly a long paper work exercise working with mid level, risk adverse bureaucrats (kind of like traveling through airports Smiler)

lawndart

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, you are right about demand being limited. With French powders I load for... yes, 2250 fps with a 400 grain Barnes Banded Solid, without showing any signs of pressure whatsoever. Probably no point in loading NorthFork 380 grain CPS solids at that velocity. The flat points and the SPs would still be interesting though. There is still a little volume left in the case so I guess I could get some more. With a lead core bullet there ought to be a lot of volume left. Still, if the velocities used for years by the 458 doubles, the 416 Rigby (and I mean real velocities) and others like the 404 J were good back then, why decide now that they're too slow?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree.

With a North Fork 380 grain bullet in a modern rifle (or one with a magnum sized receiver) you might be able to get 2,325 without much trouble.

The thin bands on the sides of the bullet shank do help hold the pressures down.

I believe there is a decent market for these bullets as either components, or loaded ammunition in the EU.

In my dreams there is an 8mm North Fork at the front of an 8x68S cartridge Smiler.

LD

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can get Mike to crank out some 220 grain .323" bullets, I would buy a few hundred.

He said that there isn't enough demand, and while I understand that and believe him, if you don't ask Santa for a pony, you shouldn't complain if you get socks! Big Grin

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Order 50,000 and it will be done in three months.

Looks like we just have 49,500 to go Big Grin.

LD