THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Judgement Day: Who on this forum has hunted with Mark Sullivan? Post your experienc
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judgement Day: Who on this forum has hunted with Mark Sullivan? Post your experienc
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
AR forum members,

The time has come to get to the "nut cutting" as we say here in cattle country.

Anybody that has hunted with MS is asked to post their experiences for all of us to see.

Stick to the facts and PLEASE, no more suspicion, innuendo, heresay...Just the "meat".

Who's first?!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
as much as I'd like to read the expiriences of the folks who have hunted with MS (and I'm sure there are a couple of AR regulars who HAVE hunted with MS), I highly doubt they will come forth on this site. To be tarred, feathered and beaten with a wet leather whip voluntarily by the kangaroo court is something easily avoidable by just not mentioning it.. Can't say that I blame them.

I from the reports I have heard, I would hunt with him if I had the cash.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted with Mark, but I know at least one person that has (on more than one occasion) and has nothing but good things to say about his experiences. I should add that the person I know has a wealth of hunting experience in Africa and elsewhere and knows a thing or two about good outfitters.

I have a cartoon that I keep on my desk that pretty well summarizes my view of the situation regarding why defenders of Mark will be reluctant to step forward on AR:

Mike

Posts: 21696 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now stepping up to the plate...Dave Fulson...
Boys, this is going to be short and to the point and my sincere hope is to not be classified as a supporter or detractor of MS. I have followed the MS threads with interest from day one, had a few laughs, and winced more than once. I cannot say that Mark and I are friends in the common sense, but we know each other from the field as well as being conversational at the shows. In 1993 I spent over two months filming portions of "Death On The Run" for Sullivan in Tanzania. I was, and still am grateful for the chance that trip provided me. During that safari I saw and filmed a lot of hunting, shooting ( yes, some by MS) and experienced safari life with Mark. I was impressed with his bedside manner with clients, and felt that he truly enjoys Africa and the adventure he finds in his role of P.H The clients who I was in camp were in awe of him ( as many hunters of their P.H.'s no matter where they hunt) and there were some great trophies taken from some very good areas. I had some real good memories from that hunt, but also crossed swords with Mark on one matter that got very ugly, very fast. It was and is a private problem, and to both our credit as guys that can go from 0 to 60 real quick, we solved it to our satisfaction. While there were situations that I did not agree with on the trip, there is one area I will address. I saw a lot of buff shot on that trip, and I never saw one by either MS or a client intentionally wounded to provide charge situations. Charges did happen, and you know that MS relishes those situations like no other P.H I had seen before or since, but none ON THAT SAFARI were wounded in order to prompt angry animals. Poor shooting was to blame in the instances I filmed. Mark wanted to be well known, he has stated that from day 1. Mission accomplished in the safari biz. To some he is more infamous than famous, to each his own. I never hunted, or tried to hunt with Mark after that hunt, but I look back on it as a good experience all in all. Besides those days in '93 I cannot comment on a single aspect of his methods in the field. I have seen his DVD's , and like many of you have disagreed with some of the content. Enough said. Jeff asked someone with experience on safari with Mark to state their experience. That is what I have done. Certainly my limited experience in the field is simply a peek into a long career and should not be taken as anything but that. I never saw the wounding of game for video purposes on that one safari. Others may have different experiences.
I won't be going into further detail, so no need to prod. Jeff asked someone to share their experience- I have . I sure hope I will not be taken to task for my honest observation of my MS experience.
Cheers boys

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kelly Gill Esquire?

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
This topic is a bad idea.

If you want to whip a witch hunt, do it elsewhere.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will is right!

I am swearing off this thread and I suggest everyone else do so.

SG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Will,

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you. However the previous threads have been nothing more than a witch hunt. My intent is to have those with true experiences come forward and speak their piece. Just as Dave Fulsom has.

No intent of inciting a witch hunt here.

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you think this is a bad idea?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will is right!

I am swearing off this thread and I suggest everyone else do so.

SG,

Hold on a minute here....The intent of this thread is to get the BS'ers out and the real folks to tell their tales....I suspect that Mark has a long list of loyal and satisfied customers. Thus far all we have heard is a bunch of blather coming from hearsay and envy, or so it would appear.

I made the post not to judge Mark, but to make those on this forum who spew out stuff without knowing the facts be held accountable for or factually back up their accusations.

Why would you or anybody else have problem with that?

one of us
posted Hide Post
doan have enough money to post in here much so I just read.

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the PF?

Big Grin

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Hells bells guys, GET OVER THE SULLIVAN ISSUE! The negativity that comes out of these issues is contagious, and breeds more negative vibes.

We are all entitled to our opinions, whatever side of the fence they may be, but as mature adults, can we not rather talk about the greater aspects of hunting and the GOOD it does to individuals, society and communities.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are all entitled to our opinions, whatever side of the fence they may be, but as mature adults, can we not rather talk about the greater aspects of hunting and the GOOD it does to individuals, society and communities.

I could not agree more, BUT as it stood prior to this thread all we had was a bunch of negative hearsay....I want to put this to bed for good...The sooner the better!

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
Hells bells guys, GET OVER THE SULLIVAN ISSUE! The negativity that comes out of these issues is contagious, and breeds more negative vibes.

Neil, you are quite right.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with Jeff. I would like to hear from those who have hunted with Him. If they do post leave them alone,Its not any one right here to question their choice of PH.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave for the insights.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said in another thread on this subject, a former AR poster named Allen Day hunted with Sullivan and gave him high marks.

Allen is no longer active on AR; I do not know the reason.

Several years ago I communicated with Allen a number of times by phone and email--he always spoke highly of Sullivan.

I had a brief business relationship with Sullivan but it didn't have anything to do with him in a PH role, so I can't comment personally about his conduct on safari. He was, however, quite professional and honest in the dealings we had.

I've only hunted Africa twice; if I had the ability to return, I'd consider Sullivan as a possible PH choice.

Posts: 69 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 02 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Where's the "witch hunt"?

Sounded like a perfectly valid question to me.

Are you a self appointed moderator that dictates what should or should not be discussed? If you don't like the topic, then the solution is simple, stay away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that this is a valid post. A number of us who have not hunted with Sullivan, but have viewed one or more of his videos and had some "issues" with his style would like to hear the other side of the story. This is a thread for his supporters who have hunted with him to have their say. I would only ask for answers to two questions:

1. Did you see any game wounded by anyone?

2. Did mark Sullivan shoot any of your game?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
He drank a beer I bought him at the Hotel Sea Cliff. Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
I have no dog in this fight, but have been reading all of these posts with some interest. I find in interesting that as soon as one person comes forward and states their experience with MS and it is a 'positive' one, people start expounding on how this is pointless and we should all move on. Funny isn't it? Thumbs up Dave for the stones to speak up.

I have not hunted with MS. I have only been to Africa twice. Once a PG safari in SA with OOA. We all make our mistakes. The other was a DG safari in Zim with Chifuti with Ian Gibson as a PH.

If you don't agree with MS's videos, don't watch them. If you don't agree with him as a PH, don't hunt with him. The greatest hunter I have known, my Great Uncle always told me, 'if you don't have anything good to say about someone, don't say anything at all.' Words I try to live by.

Jeff

Posts: 111 | Location: Jackson, MI USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458WM:
As I said in another thread on this subject, a former AR poster named Allen Day hunted with Sullivan and gave him high marks.

Allen is no longer active on AR; I do not know the reason.

Several years ago I communicated with Allen a number of times by phone and email--he always spoke highly of Sullivan.

I had a brief business relationship with Sullivan but it didn't have anything to do with him in a PH role, so I can't comment personally about his conduct on safari. He was, however, quite professional and honest in the dealings we had.

I've only hunted Africa twice; if I had the ability to return, I'd consider Sullivan as a possible PH choice.

Allen left AR in disgust because we always celebrate the occasions of other religions at the top of the Forums.

He said what we are doing stands against his Christian beliefs.

He is entitled to his views, so please do not turn this thread into a religious discussion.

I just mentioned it so you would know why he had left.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting that, Saeed.

Good grief. I'll gladly accept useful information from fellow Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Shinto, or, hell, Wiccans.

Seems to me to Allen's loss, but also his decision, fairly made for his own reasons.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Allen posted on the 24 Hour site after leaving here but has not been active for almost a year.I. have no idea why.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted with Mark.
While working my booths in Dallas and Reno anytime a customer mentioned they hunted with Mark I would ask them about the hunt.
I have a childhood friend, Larry Glass, that has hunted with Mark.
Each time the answer to my question "Would you hunt with Mark again?" has been in a very positive "Yes."
I would say over the years this must amount to 10 or more people that I had this conversation with.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm not terribly interested in hunting with some putz who grabs me by the back of the shirt just below the collar and arranges me -- at all.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I'm not terribly interested in hunting with some putz who grabs me by the back of the shirt just below the collar and arranges me -- at all.

I love it clap

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some one with more time on their hands then most might want to contact Pano Calavrias for his insight.

Pano Calavrias

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

You know, is it not only MS that does the shirt grab. Wink

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judging by some of the videos, his son does as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:

You know, is it not only MS that does the shirt grab. Wink

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the other thread" Whats the deal with Mark Sullivan' KPETE gives a detailed account in the main difference between Boddington, Carter and Sullivan as to how each is perceived on AR and elsewhere. I read, and re-read my post, and stand by the point I made. BUT, when I read the stuff he puts in print about my guys, it is REAL hard not to respond in kind as to why I was ready to break off my professional ties with MS. There are reasons, and I have tried real hard over the years to be a gentleman and not stir the shit, but he should be careful to not shoot a .700 in a glass house. For now I will leave it at that. I have no problem with MS describing in print, at a seminar, in person, or on video why he is how he is and hunts like he hunts, but taking chicken shit pot shots at my boys and other P.H's I respect to pump himself up- I think that is one of the main reasons he is seen in the light he is. The Tanzanian Professional Hunters Assoc. took Mark down, not SCI alone, and there were reasons for their actions.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now it's "shirt grabs" that upset people?? I think Ivan did a "shirt grab" on the last show with the elephant/Taylor gun sequence. I have had several shirt grabs performed on me by my good friend and PH I hunt with. I for one appreciate the "shirt grab", it usually helps guide me to the proper place to set up on the sticks quickly, gets me focused, lined up properly and see it as a real help in executing the shot. After all the PH is concentrating on the animal while we are usually fumbling with the safety, looking down at our rifle and such.

Hey folks I don't see it as a "horse collar tackle" NFL syle, but as something that is a very helpful gesture by my PH. Grab on guys!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have not responded to any of the Mark Sullivan threads but after perusing them ad nauseum for the last couple of weeks I have the perfect solution!

If all members of AR will agree to send me on an all-expenses paid 21 day safari with Mark for the Big 4 I promise to write the longest, most factual hunt report you guys have EVER seen. No minute of the hunt will go unreported on. No comment made by Mark will go undocumented! No trophy will go unshot and I promise to do my best to make all "killing" shots and not be persuaded to do anything less lest I be tied to four horses and pulled apart at Ray Atkinson's cactus covered ranch! Come on folks here is your chance to get to the bottom of this controversy once and for all!

IF only Capstick were alive I would make the same offer to hunt with him...

I am sure once this event was done and the hunt report made no one would ever have to waste time on MS threads again... LOL, yea right! Wink

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well now, that's the first "logical" post I've seen yet regarding this matter... clap

JW

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Some one with more time on their hands then most might want to contact Pano Calavrias for his insight.

Pano Calavrias

Wasn't Pano who had a real punch up with Mark Sullivan for leaving so many dead buffalo on his concession?

Comparing Mark Sullivan to Boddington and Carter is beyond any reason.

It is like comparing two gentlemen with an over grown bully, who prides himself in thumping his own chest in front of a video camera at the expenses of his paying clients.

I said it before, and I will repeat it again, what M<ark Sullivan has been up to is not good for hunting. And as SCI has seen the light of day and kicked him out, the facts are going to come out sooner than later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is slightly off topic but since it has been brought up here, I will add my two cents worth. Whenever I see a PH doing a back of the shirt grab and pushing the client into position, my blood pressure sky rockets. I am not a child and I don't like to be treated as such. I also don't like people touching me (I will make an exception for Danica Patrick!). I have let my PHs know this and haven't had a problem.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wasn't Pano who had a real punch up with Mark Sullivan for leaving so many dead buffalo on his concession?

MS subleased Panos former Selous K2 Block and poached without license a heavy Selous Tembo in K1 Selous...Pano was not very happy ... there are multiply storys ( Game Scout ) about wounded Hippo and Buffalos when MS was subleasing from Licky Abdallah K4 and R1 Selous. Mark now found in Sheni from Game Frontiers another Partner to finish good hunting blocks in the Selous und elsewhere.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here we go again... diggin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I said it before, and I will repeat it again, what M<ark Sullivan has been up to is not good for hunting. And as SCI has seen the light of day and kicked him out, the facts are going to come out sooner than later.[/QUOTE]

...i would have thought the local authorities responsible for licensing hunting / ph's - or the ph societies themselves - would have the power to enforce ethical behaviour amongst its admittees...sort of like the professional licensing boards and associations in medicine, law, engineering, etc...