THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Recent elephant charge video viewed at CM Safaris camp
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent elephant charge video viewed at CM Safaris camp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just returned from a 10 day double tuskless hunt in the Makuti area of Zimbabwe with CM Safaris. I will post my own hunt report soon.

While in camp I got to view some recent elephant charges caught on tape by a CM cameraman that were startling to watch. They were startling as there were a couple of outstanding performances under life threatening conditions and also IMO some incredibly foolish behavior by clients.

We probably all remember the story of Buzz’s French client who got pinned by an elephant cow resulting in some broken ribs, but managed to return to the field in short order to successfully bag an outstanding Croc in Mozambique. I saw the footage and was shocked at how close this guy came to being killed. First off, he was not the hunter on this tuskless hunt, but just the unarmed companion tagging along. The hunter was attempting to take a tuskless with a bow and arrow when a tusked cow suddenly charged barreling straight at Buzz and his client. The client with a bow and arrow in his hands was useless and got out of the way leaving Buzz to fire his 416 Rigby straight into the head of the charging cow. He shot at perhaps seven yards away, but hit too high obviously missing the brain. I swear it looks like that elephant blinked, but it kept coming at full speed. Buzz just barely missed being run over when he side stepped like a matador at a bull fighting match. Buzz immediately reloaded, but his Ruger jammed delaying his second shot. The elephant went straight for the unarmed companion ramming him to the ground attempting to crush and tusk him. Luckily for him the tusks missed, but the elephant then picked him up with its ivory and flicked him about 20 feet to the right. It is dusty and you have to watch it in slow motion, but you can clearly see the guy being tossed through the air like a sack of potatoes. The elephant also bit his thumb crushing it. I only watched it a couple of times and the action is extremely fast, but it is obvious that this incident could have easily ended up with a fatality.

I took away a couple of things after viewing this video. First, do not ever hunt a tuskless elephant with a bow and arrow. It is a stupid thing to do. The risk of an unprovoked charge while hunting a tuskless is quite real and having two powerful rifles ready to respond is better than only one. Secondly, you must hit the brain if you want to be certain to stop any charging animal. Buzz’s 416 Rigby was not a stopper in this incident.

The second video was with Myles and a client from Oz. This client had a 470 double with a large scope on it. I noticed the client adjusting the magnification of the scope as he was getting ready to take a shot on a tuskless. For some reason he didn’t shoot when Myles pointed out the tuskless to fire at. A few seconds go by and then an elephant cow comes straight at them in a full charge. Myles repeatedly yells at the client to shoot, but the client never does. Myles pulls off a dead on frontal brain shot with his Ruger 458 Lott that decisively drops her in her tracks and then immediately follows up with an insurance shot. It was an impressive performance by Myles and the 458 Lott. Apparently, the reason the client didn’t fire is that he could not the find the charging elephant in his scope as he had just turned up the magnification when getting ready for the earlier shot he never took. I am leaving out a few details, but suffice to say if I was that guy from Oz I would never want that video shown in public.

The lessons I took away from this video is to never use a high magnification scope on a tuskless hunt and that the 458 Lott is an awesome round. I would say it is preferable to never to use a scope on any elephant hunt, but my own eyes suck. I did use a Leupold Euro 2x7 for my two tuskless. However, I kept it at the 2 level and I find with the big tube I can make fast accurate shots while keeping both eyes open.

The third video was an excellent performance by Mike Jines and Buzz on a charging elephant cow. The footage shows them at first backing up trying to avoid a charge, but when she came anyway you see Mike fire two accurate frontal brain shots from his 470 double while on the move backpedaling. Buzz also managed to hit it twice in the head also on the move going backwards. Mike’s shots were in quick succession which means he didn’t pull the same trigger twice like a lot of double rifle users do when under stress. The cow crumpled up like a good girl should.

The lesson learned was if you shoot straight, shoot fast and use enough gun you will end up smoking a fine cigar by the fire that evening rather than having your guts crushed into the dirt.

Hunting a tuskless elephant is always dangerous. As far as I could tell all three of the charges described above came before any shots were fired.

Buzz is working on a new video, but he doesn’t have a theme yet. I don’t know if he will be incorporating any of the above mentioned footage in it, but I hope he does. All three were fantastic to watch and provide great instruction on what to do and what not to do when hunting tuskless elephants.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I know the two Aussie hunters and I'm sure the older guy ripped it into the other. Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Loving them arrow chuckers.

Loving them scopes.

I never heard whether that cow Jines shot at was killed, knocked out, or knocked down. I think that was his 500 anyway (chicken boy Smiler).

Buzz is probably waiting for the ultimate tuskless hunt, a DVD where five or six clients get killed. Just not the cameraman. Now I'd buy that one. MS, step aside! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You make some very good points. The most important being, never hunt ele with a bow and arrow.

If someone stuffs up with their little archery set, it is more than likely it won't be him that is killed, probably the guy who is there to protect his arse, or one of his trackers.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Great information, thanks for the post.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frederick:
You make some very good points. The most important being, never hunt ele with a bow and arrow.

If someone stuffs up with their little archery set, it is more than likely it won't be him that is killed, probably the guy who is there to protect his arse, or one of his trackers.

I am a die-hard bowhunter and truly love archery hunting.....but I completely agree with you. Once you get into hunting animals that large (elephant, rhino, hippo).....it's time to hang up the bow and grab something that uses gunpowder and starts with either a number "4" or a "5".

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Attached is a link to a You Tube clip of the elephant charge. I apologize that the quality of the video is not up to the other clips but the compression rate of the video was not set for You Tube. Nevertheless, you get the essence. The rifle was actually a .500 NE, thankfully. Distances are deceptive on videos. The charge was actually stopped at five paces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...JX8s&feature=channel

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Attached is a link to a You Tube clip of the elephant charge. I apologize that the quality of the video is not up to the other clips but the compression rate of the video was not set for You Tube. Nevertheless, you get the essence. The rifle was actually a .500 NE, thankfully. Distances are deceptive on videos. The charge was actually stopped at five paces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KCQLwpJX8s

Hunter Jines,

Oh, come on. Doesn't anybody stop a charge at six paces anymore?

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I started the story at seven paces, but every two or three months the cow gets closer. Just wait, by the end of the year I should have a ripped shirt where she clipped me with her tusk. Wink

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding performance Mike. Well done. I now feel very undergunned using only a 375 Ruger.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreCore:
Outstanding performance Mike. Well done. I now feel very undergunned using only a 375 Ruger.

No shit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting footage. Shows how damnably dangerous it is chasing cow herds.

Looked to me like Mike's first shot missed the brain. Buzz's first shot stopped the charge, at least momentarily as you can see her front feet splay out. Mike's second shot knocked her down and either hit close to the brain or hit the outer margins of the brain. Good work and shooting by all under very difficult conditions.
It also shows how difficult a frontal brain shot is on a charging ele. Here were two very experienced hunters firing three shots at a charging ele, none of which instantly killed the cow. I wonder if they had used smaller caliber rifles if would have turned out the same.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thats a great video. Amazing that Buzz not only has to worry of himself and try to not get killed but he is completely 'present' and aware of Mike, his position and what he should do.

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Good video. Pretty cool to watch it in slow motion when Buzz's .416 empty flies over Mikes head when he reloads. Nice shooting guys.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the three shots on the cow. As you can see, two of the shots were right on top of each other and the other was much higher.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Your response to Will was funny as hell. I never tire of looking at that video. Well done.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
In this case I would not trust either my 458 Lott, I would have at least 50 BMG. Impressive, very good video.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:

The lessons I took away from this video is to never use a high magnification scope on a tuskless hunt and that the 458 Lott is an awesome round. I would say it is preferable to never to use a scope on any elephant hunt, but my own eyes suck. I did use a Leupold Euro 2x7 for my two tuskless. However, I kept it at the 2 level and I find with the big tube I can make fast accurate shots while keeping both eyes open.

The third video was an excellent performance by Mike Jines and Buzz on a charging elephant cow. The footage shows them at first backing up trying to avoid a charge, but when she came anyway you see Mike fire two accurate frontal brain shots from his 470 double while on the move backpedaling. Buzz also managed to hit it twice in the head also on the move going backwards. Mike’s shots were in quick succession which means he didn’t pull the same trigger twice like a lot of double rifle users do when under stress. The cow crumpled up like a good girl should.

The lesson learned was if you shoot straight, shoot fast and use enough gun you will end up smoking a fine cigar by the fire that evening rather than having your guts crushed into the dirt.

I hesitated in my previous post 458 Lott (I have a Ceska in that caliber) and yet you praise. I'll take your praise because I have no experience with this caliber hehe.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Interesting video. Mike you have all of my respect for keeping your cool and doing what had to be done in that situation.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike. Strong work and good shooting.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Mike Awesome shooting and video. I would have that on a constant loop playing in my office. Big Grin

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good video. Pretty cool to watch it in slow motion when Buzz's .416 empty flies over Mikes head when he reloads. Nice shooting guys.

I too liked watching the empty fly over Mike's head (at 33 seconds in the film).

I guess this settles my internal struggle on should I get a Lott or a Rigby.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very exciting.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
It sure is nice when one applies the tag team effectively on a charge. Mike and Buzz great shooting.
I have said this before, DO YOU WANT THE MINIMUM CALIBER IN YOUR HANDS WHEN EVERYTHING GOES SOUTH??? AS OUR OWN ELE SLAYER SAYS, AND I QUOTE, " ONCE YOU'VE BEEN AMONGST THEM, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TO MUCH GUN."

Mike

600N.E., 3" 12ga., 4bore solid, 450#2,458lott, 450#2, 300win mag, 30/06, 600NE solid, 577NE, 500jeffery

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Hmmm, may have to get another barrel for my .395Max.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Praise Buzz and the 416, watch the slow mo carefully, the cow was stopped and is collapsing on Buzz's shot. Mike's first shot did not stop the charge and his second was fired as the cow was halfway to the deck.

Sure Buzz did not reload instantly although he did eject straight away and easily closed the bolt on another round for a follow up shot, all the while his rifle was safe as they got into position for an insurance shot. Mike had not reloaded the double at any stage and if the cow had got up or another animal had charged, Mike was empty.

Good shooting and handling of the situation on everyone's part and I have nothing against doubles, but give credit where it's due, the bolt action 416 did everything asked of it, stopping the charge and decking the cow, and the result would have been the same if the double hadn't of been there.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Praise Buzz and the 416, watch the slow mo carefully, the cow was stopped and is collapsing on Buzz's shot. Mike's first shot did not stop the charge and his second was fired as the cow was halfway to the deck.

Sure Buzz did not reload instantly although he did eject straight away and easily closed the bolt on another round for a follow up shot, all the while his rifle was safe as they got into position for an insurance shot. Mike had not reloaded the double at any stage and if the cow had got up or another animal had charged, Mike was empty.

Good shooting and handling of the situation on everyone's part and I have nothing against doubles, but give credit where it's due, the bolt action 416 did everything asked of it, stopping the charge and decking the cow, and the result would have been the same if the double hadn't of been there.

You may have a touch of Katie Couric disease! It's impossible to say what shot had what effect just from watching the video. Buzz's second shot was most likely to scare off the other cow. Need a few more details.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:

You may have a touch of Katie Couric disease! It's impossible to say what shot had what effect just from watching the video. Buzz's second shot was most likely to scare off the other cow. Need a few more details.

Will
I don't mind what disease I had but I sure as hell would be most happy having Buzz on my shoulder with his trusty 416 bolt gun.

I take nothing away from Mike, he stood rock solid and planted each shot from his double into that cow. Just wanted to make the point that if the shooter does his bit you can rely on those 40cal bolt guns to do their's.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that don't get your heart beating your dead.
I think the bitch meant business.

good shooting

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
MJines,

I'd be happy to host a full quality version of this video if you'd like. I got lotsa room...

_Baxter

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Good job Mike and Buzz. I'm ready to go back for another elephant.

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

Kind of hard to sort all that out after the fact. Take a look at the picture I posted above that shows the three shots. Two are damn near right on top of each other. In my opinion, those are my first shot and Buzz's first shot. I think the high shot was my second as the cow was going down. If that sequence is correct, I do not think there would be a dime's worth of difference between the first two shots in terms of effect on the cow. And the fact is that all the shots missed the brain. If you look in the upper left corner of the video after the first two shots and the retreat you see the cow going down. We then had to put a finishing shot into her. Whether it would have played out the same way if it was just Buzz or just me, who knows. I know I was glad Buzz was there and I think he felt the same way about having the .500 there too. A month later Buzz ordered a .500 at the DSC.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the fact is that all the shots missed the brain.

Say it ain't so, Bwana. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I can lie to most folks but not you Bill. Cool

To me, the message is go with as big a caliber as you can handle. While none of the first three shots hit the brain, they turned the charge and flat brought the cow to a tumbling stop. That is what the .500 is all about. If we were both shooting .375's one of us, probably the fat slow one, would be toe jam.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can lie to most folks but not you Bill.

To me, the message is go with as big a caliber as you can handle. While none of the first three shots hit the brain, they turned the charge and flat brought the cow to a tumbling stop. That is what the .500 is all about. If we were both shooting .375's one of us, probably the fat slow one, would be toe jam.

You'll be happy to learn what that really means when my book comes out this fall. Smiler I can't divulge everything. Wink

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Kind of hard to sort all that out after the fact. Take a look at the picture I posted above that shows the three shots. Two are damn near right on top of each other. In my opinion, those are my first shot and Buzz's first shot. I think the high shot was my second as the cow was going down. If that sequence is correct, I do not think there would be a dime's worth of difference between the first two shots in terms of effect on the cow. And the fact is that all the shots missed the brain. If you look in the upper left corner of the video after the first two shots and the retreat you see the cow going down. We then had to put a finishing shot into her. Whether it would have played out the same way if it was just Buzz or just me, who knows. I know I was glad Buzz was there and I think he felt the same way about having the .500 there too. A month later Buzz ordered a .500 at the DSC.

Come on Mike I had credited you with those two fine overlaying shots from your double, don't burst my bubble Wink

Yes had looked at the photo of the shot placement and figured your first and Buzz's went in side by side and the high shot would be your second as the cow was dropping.

Admittedly not real easy to say which of the two first shots did the job. As you say, both shots would have a cumulative effect in bringing her down. Slo mo appears to show Buzz's shot setting in the collapse of her front end.
Just a few here seemed to be all praise for the 500 getting everyone out of jail and ignoring the 416 so I went into bat for the 416 bolt gun, a firearm that must have demonstrated this effect countless times in Africa.
Either way Mike, you and Buzz demonstrated the classic African experience, stand and face the charge without flinching, or am I mistaken and that's not the breeze flapping your pants over the buttock area rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I ever chose to hunt Elephant, and with a bow & arrow, I would definitely have two experienced PH's backing me up. And, I would hope to heck they both had Double Rifles in .470 or larger rifles. If I could get MJ to back Buzz that would be my choice, both having been in several tight situations and survived them. Like MJ says, big bores start with a .5"

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vince Hazen
posted Hide Post
All I can say is wow. I leave for my first ele hunt to Tanzania in 36 days and I can't friggin wait. What an example. You have some brass ones MJ.

Posts: 149 | Location: Lometa, Texas | Registered: 05 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
by Mjines

Whether it would have played out the same way if it was just Buzz or just me, who knows. I know I was glad Buzz was there and I think he felt the same way about having the .500 there too. A month later Buzz ordered a .500 at the DSC.

Now above, in bold print, you have Buzz's opinion as well!

First off this is a very good film, and filmed in dire cercumstances, it is amazing. The way I see this clip is, everything was done quite properly. As to the comment about whether Mike re-loaded of not after his second shot that put the ele on her back, I find he did reload. If you listen to the sound you can hear Mike close the K-gun on his re-load.

Knowing mike personally, I'd say it is certain, in my mind, that his 500NE double rifle was ready for what ever happened next. I can assure you that both men in this film are up to the task, and it is evident smaller of the two rifles used, in this case, was on the light side for a margenal brain shot effect, but combined with the 500NE stopped the cow, and the next 500NE put her down. Though all shots were effective, I have to agree with Mike, and I think Buzz was just as gald as Mike was that they were both in the fight! IMO, given the same sittuation, if I were alone I certainly would far rather have the 500NE double that buzz's 416 bolt rifle. This film should bring to the fore, the fact that when an animal is bent of distruction, there is no such thing as "TOO MUCH GUN" !

...................Good show Buz, and Mike! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Knowing mike personally

Oh brother, does this qualify you for a signed 8 by 10 glossy, or something? Smiler