Tools

Out of Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Statement from SCI 24.5.2010

Re: Out of Africa

Earlier in April African professional hunter associations were informed that the previous owners of Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris, an outfitting business, had resigned their membership in Safari Club International. The owners are no longer affiliated with SCI and any future applications would be flagged and vigorously reviewed by the SCI Ethics Committee. The owners also indicated that the company, Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris, was sold and under new ownership. This has not been accurately verified by SCI. At this time, SCI is not considering the company as an exhibitor for its convention. Under the resignation of the owners on record, the company loses all rights and privileges gathered during their business relationship with SCI. Under new ownership, the company does not retain the same privileges or rank and will, therefore, not be considered a returning exhibitor. Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris will not be exhibiting with SCI in 2011.

It is not the common practice of Safari Club International or its Convention Department to discuss the status of exhibitor applications. As a courtesy to our partnering associations that voiced concerns to SCI, we hope this announcement will serve to allay your concerns as we continue to work together towards the like-minded goals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
For your information this was received from Zimbabwe Professional Hunters & Guides Association.

CONVICTION OF OUT OF AFRICA

As members know, Out of Africa caused a lot of problems in Zimbabwe, and we’re eventually banned by National Parks. They still endeavored to try and operate here under other disguises and connivances.

However, Dawie Groenewald was arrested in USA in January 2010, and charged with smuggling and violating the Lacey Act. He spent 8 days in jail and several months in home incarceration at his brother’s house. He was sentenced to “time served” and $30 000 criminal fine for importing an unlawfully hunted leopard trophy into the US.

We are trying to find out from SCI:

a) Whether US citizens will be allowed to do business with them.

b) Whether they will still be allowed to attend conventions in the US, and

c) Whether SCI and Dallas Safari Club will ban them.

In response to our query, SCI advised they were still investigating, but at this point the Groenewald brothers had resigned from SCI.

Tanzania Professional Hunters Association

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

Thank you for sharing that!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
tu2 Thanks buddy! tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a courtesy to our partnering associations that voiced concerns to SCI, we hope this announcement will serve to allay your concerns as we continue to work together towards the like-minded goals.

Yeah right!

SCI so called "ethics committee" chose to turn a blind eye to what out of Africa were up to, as long as they were "donating" to SCI.

Now they have been criminally charged, SCI had to get their heads out of the sand and say something.

I suppose better late than never, but I suspect if the government has not charged the owners with a crime, SCI would still keep their heads under the sand pretending as if nothing has happened.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I find the comment about the company being sold very odd.

When that happens in the safari business, the buyer is largely paying for a name and a reputation............ and the obvious question springs to mind. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the supposed sale isn't a sham - to a brother-in-law or something similar, in an attempt to make the appearence that the Corrupt Groenwalds are now out of the safari business, while really business continues as ussual.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I reckon it almost certainly has to be just that.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I reckon it almost certainly has to be just that.....

Now now Steve. If the two trolls on here can change their spots , why can't O0A?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now now Steve. If the two trolls on here can change their spots , why can't O0A?

They made indeed change their spots...but...I doubt if their black hearts ever turn back pink. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Finally! And long overdue. clap

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HOORAY!!! AT LAST!!! dancing

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Don't hold your breath guys.

I'll bet a pound to a pinch of the brown smelly stuff that either the individuals concerned or some poor sucker of an agent representing them will be in a booth marketing them come next year. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Distinct possibility Steve. However every step we take forward is a good one. I think it has taken way too long and am not sure it is done yet. Still it is another step in the right direction. I am sure these guys will pop back up in some new incarnation.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Distinct possibility Steve. However every step we take forward is a good one. I think it has taken way too long and am not sure it is done yet. Still it is another step in the right direction. I am sure these guys will pop back up in some new incarnation.

Mike,

Indeed, every step forward is a good one and also indeed it has taken way too long and am not sure it is done yet...... but it's a helluva good start.

Now all you gotta do is keep 'em out and that ain't gonna be easy but I wish you luck! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too would be very interested in who bought the company. I am even more interested in SCI's statement that they resigned. ReallY? No why do you suppose the would do that? Hmmm Confused

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I dropped my SCI membership a couple of years back due to their hand-in-pocket association with OoA.

SCI's statement sure proves there is no picking a turd up by the clean end.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry SCI! For me your a dollar short and a day too late.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's a start...

Mark Sullivan and now OoA

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Interesting to read all of the replies to the blog. They are SO one-sided. It's relatively clear to me that there is jealousy here. Because, as my mother always told me..."the only reason someone puts another person down is so they can make themselves feel better."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps they are one sided because the guy pleaded GUILTY to a FELONY. Hard to read much positive out of a guilty plea.

I am not jealous of a felon ever.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adqueen:
Interesting to read all of the replies to the blog. They are SO one-sided. It's relatively clear to me that there is jealousy here. Because, as my mother always told me..."the only reason someone puts another person down is so they can make themselves feel better."

Strong sttemnt for a first timer. However, I have to agree with the quote, but not sure it fits here.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im sorry theresa you had something to say?

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Exactly what I was thinking!

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Take it easy gentlemen,

Out of Africa WAS doing something positive, it just depends on your outlook.

1. They were supporting Robert Gabriel Mugabe by making sure they hunted on the farms he stole from its rightful owners. It wasn't their fault he took those farms from them, they just did not want him to loose out on what he has done.

From what I have heard, a crook is a crook is a crook.

And he remains a crook until the day he dies.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Im sorry theresa you had something to say?

yuck

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for setting us straight on jealousy versus felony Mrs. Groenewald.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've had to smoke out a number of crooks in my proffessional life. Never met one who didn't think, "no big deal, everyone does it..." or think that the only reason anyone was pissed was because he or she (the crook) was better at stealing. I.e., the crook thought people were jelous.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Take it easy gentlemen,

Out of Africa WAS doing something positive, it just depends on your outlook.

1. They were supporting Robert Gabriel Mugabe by making sure they hunted on the farms he stole from its rightful owners. It wasn't their fault he took those farms from them, they just did not want him to loose out on what he has done.

Well said Saeed. I am one of those fellows that lost his patch to RGM and I have always said that the wheel is round and justice will be served.......maybe OoA is just starting to get a taste of its own medicine

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adqueen: I can see your point and yes your mother's quote is appropriate in a lot of cases of jealousy. There is a piling on mentality when it comes to something critical in the hunting world. However in this case. I can assure you, no one is jealous of Dawie or the family. Their story of success should one day be told.

The rub here is that Out of Africa, and it's owners have acted illegally--as in taking game illegally and illegally importing it into the United States. No one on this board, is jealous of that as in desirous to be part of that operation.

I for one considered Dawie a friend. I know that he as an outfitter did a lot of good for Africa, it's people and the hunting world. But because of his Jan 2010 arrest, and subsequent conviction for importing an unlawfully hunted leopard trophy, whatever good he did is now overshadowed by this incident; a violation of the Lacey Act which is a severely critical offense.

I wish him well, and if he can show the hunting world he is remorseful and willing to abide by the hunting laws, he deserves a second chance.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were supporting Robert Gabriel Mugabe by making sure they hunted on the farms he stole from its rightful owners. It wasn't their fault he took those farms from them, they just did not want him to loose out on what he has done.

quote:
I for one considered Dawie a friend. I know that he as an outfitter did a lot of good for Africa, it's people and the hunting world.

Anyone and again I say Anyone who supports RGM can not do anything to redeem themselves or be considered doing any good for anyone.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SableTrail:
I know that he as an outfitter did a lot of good for Africa, .

Mate, the only good I'm aware of him doing is that over the years, he made a good job of tucking a lot of very fine people up like kippers and costing them shit loads of money they've never been able to recover. Eeker

And that includes but is nowhere near restricted to a fair number of Zim farmers who have had their land stolen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't excuse anybody for human right violations. I stand with you on that.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Not sure that's true of every crook, but the evidence in this case is pretty strong.

Let's see . . .

A long discredited principal of a long discredited hunting company is at last convicted of a felony.

Then the company is finally ousted from membership in SCI.

Then we hear, almost immediately, that the company is under "new ownership."

Oldest trick in the book.

It would be a huge mistake, and a transparent ploy, for SCI to let this outfit back in on that basis.

To the extent that SCI has any remaining credibility in ethical matters, it would be shattered by such a stupid move.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Let me correct whoever thinks that this is Mrs. Groenewald. I am not. Instead, I am an active member of SCI who lives here in the states. I happen to have a very different and STRONG POSITIVE opinion of Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris.
There are two sides to every story. There is another saying that "you know you are successful in business if you've been sued". Unfortunately, here in the States, we live in a society of guilty until proven innocent...not the other way around. At a certain point, it is easier and less costly to plead guilty than fight our courts, be delayed for trial indefinitely and pay attorney fees.
As for any good that OAAS has done for hunting in Africa or SCI, there are probably 10 people per 1 who can attest to positive experiences.
Finally, do you people have nothing better to do than Blog about your competitor?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
donttroll donttroll donttroll donttroll donttroll

Alternatively he could be their lawyer who co-incidentally happens to share the same name with the new SCI President. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
How do you get 10 people of one then adqueen?

Is the process similar to that employed in getting ten hunts out of one trophy animal?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Okay, I have become as bad as the two of you...sitting here reading this blog.
Clearly, you are both a bit paranoid about my identity. I am NOT an attorney. I am not associated or related to Mr. Anderson. I am not related to the Groenewalds. It just so happens that I disagree with your ruthless assessment of the situation and the people associated with Out of Africa. Why all the venom? What is it to you whether or OAAS is successful? I go back to my initial assessment...jealousy.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, I have become as bad as the two of you...sitting here reading this blog.
Clearly, you are both a bit paranoid about my identity. I am NOT an attorney. I am not associated or related to Mr. Anderson. I am not related to the Groenewalds. It just so happens that I disagree with your ruthless assessment of the situation and the people associated with Out of Africa. Why all the venom? What is it to you whether or OAAS is successful? I go back to my initial assessment...jealousy.

Sorry to disabuse you, but jealousy is not the reason.

This is an old, old story around here, and folks are justifiably happy to see these crooks get their come-uppance.

Just a couple of examples, from 2004 and 2005:

OoA Banned from Zimbabwe

Formal Ethics Charges Filed Against OoA

One more from 2006:

PHASA Expels Groenewald and Wessels

And now the wolf is trying to come back into the fold wearing a sheep's fleece . . .

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow. You guys have made a career out of blogging. So much effort over 6 years!