New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binocular carry
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Heading off on my first safari shortly and have one more question. How do you prefer to carry binoculars when hunting in Africa? (Or do you even routinely carry binoculars?) Neck strap? One of those elastic chest rigs? I can envision potential advantages and problems with either.

Thanks!

Posts: 114 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I used an 8x32 Zeiss with a wide neck strap, side-slung over the left hip. That was the best option for me as I just don't get along with the shoulder harness setup.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second rnovi.
I usually carry a pair of Zeiss 8x30s on a neck strap slung under my left arm. Just run my left arm thru the strap and go over the neck to the right shoulder. I hate chest rigs... a lot.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Yes, a strap and the binocs ride on the left hip or just behind. They are out of the way and quick to get at.
Cal
PS. The bino bras are for sissys.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My preference is the double shoulder strap wearing the tight across my chest...some (here) say "let the PH do all the looking." I personally do not agree with that and like to be very involved and very much enjoy spotting and viewing game. To me it's a huge part of the process.
I find this both comfortable, functional, and ergonomic.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
I used an 8x32 Zeiss with a wide neck strap, side-slung over the left hip. That was the best option for me as I just don't get along with the shoulder harness setup.

+1. tu2

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This

quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
My preference is the double shoulder strap wearing the tight across my chest...some (here) say "let the PH do all the looking." I personally do not agree with that and like to be very involved and very much enjoy spotting and viewing game. To me it's a huge part of the process.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raven2six:
This

quote:

This too.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
I like a chest rig. Keeps them from flopping around an catching on vegetation when stalking. Also keeps hands free.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've progressed from my Zeiss 8 -30's and now use the big Leica 10-40's.
i now use the chest strap and wouldn't ever go back.
Binos are almost as important as my rifle in hunting AFRICA in my opinion

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the straps by rick young ,they don't fold under and are cooler.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depended on the binoculars I was using. When I use my bigger Leica 10x40, I like the chest harness. When I was hunting elephant and didn't need the big set, I used a compact 8x Zeiss set that would fit in my left shirt pocket with the strap over my neck. No weight felt at all.

Good luck! Have fun

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm taking my pet Swarovski 8x32 binocs that I've had for years but never hunted. Figured they had to go to Africa. I'll bring a Bushnell chest rig and try it both ways.

I'll be on Emirates 230 from Seattle to Dubai on Friday, and Emirates 713 from Dubai to Harare on Sunday, heading to Humani with Guy Whittall.

Waidmanns heil!

Posts: 114 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, a strap and the binocs ride on the left hip or just behind. They are out of the way and quick to get at.
Cal

One of the reasons a pair of binos are factory supplied with a shoulder strap and not a bra.

As many have said, slung either left or right just below the armpit, depending on and opposite to the shooting shoulder is likely the more protected, comfortable and accessible position to carry.

P.S. The golden rule of English: Drop the "y" and add "ies"

Sissy = Sissies Big Grin

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry slung on the left shoulder. I have experimented with a longer strap over my head, but whichever way you carry it's a good idea to spend some time on the range with all your kit, not just the rifle. Shoot, move, shoot again and get used to the feel of all the gear.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I normally keep my pair - 10x42 Leica - in the truck.

I do not carry one while out hunting.

My 8x rifle scope works just fine for me.

I really do not like to carry anything that is not absolutely necessary while walking.

This system has worked for me for all my African hunting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Strap around right shoulder, binos under left armpit. Harnesses are too hot, don’t allow shirt vents to work well.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

THIS... Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Since beginning to use full size binos versus the pocket style, I’ve used a harness, and a pouch (FHF), but have settled on a very short strap I made myself that keeps the binos just at chest level. They barely go over my head. I made the strap (scrap Filson tin-cloth) 1” so it fits under the fold of the collar on my shirt. So far , so good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm a sissy.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I carry Swarovski 8x20 binoculars with the cord around my neck and the binoculars in my shirt pocket. I keep a larger set of binoculars in my backpack in the cruiser for use while riding around looking for spoor, but I rarely require anything bigger than the 8x20s while actually hunting.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tight to chest with a Rick Young harness. Can't be beat.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Guess I'm a sissy.

Dave

Me too. I love my chest rig, aka Snuggle Buddy (women...). I didn't have it when I went to Africa, but now I use it for every hunt here in the west, even short day hunts for predators. It keeps a lot of gear very handy - binocular, rangefinder, GPS, camera, wind check powder, a couple spare rounds of ammo, a hand call ('cuz I'm always on the lookout for a good coyote stand), and other odds and ends. It's comfortable and distributes the weight well, and works with the pack that I wear on most hunts. The only negative is having to shuck it each time you shed or add a layer. Small price to pay for the convenience and protection it provides all that expensive gear.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Tight to chest with a Rick Young harness. Can't be beat.

Can't believe I've never heard of this product before. Seems like it will work with a few different carrying styles.

For $25 it's I guess it's worth a shot. Just ordered one on Amazon.

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s exactly what I do. I use 10x32 Swarovski for all my hunting.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried several different methods of carrying binos. Under the armpit as others have described works for me. The harness gizmo gave me a huge heat rash were it contacted my shirt. I don't recommend it on a hot late season hunt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I’m going to carry them, I put them on a strap so they hang under the off side arm.

I tried the bino bra type thing but they just were not comfortable there and kept bumping in to things and making noise. I learned to leave them on the truck unless we were glassing or hunting in the mountains.

I’ve pooched a few opportunities by being busy with the binoculars when I should have been on the rifle. By and large, African game is big. If you are tracking and stalking, they are not needed for the modest ranges you should be operating at. While I would not go over there without mine, I try and leave them with the truck. If I am evaluating an animal, my rifle scope both is capable of higher magnification and is generally better resolution than the binocs I have anyhow. I wouldn’t use the scope to spot game, but on a guided hunt that isn’t where I’m at anyhow... the trackers are much better than I am at it...

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:

IMO the best carry of a binocular is as described in the post above! That method of carry is one of the only two things I ever agreed with Mark Sullivan on! One is this method of Binoc carry, and the other is his love of hunting with a double rifle!

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. sofa

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best I have found is strap over right shoulder with bingos resting behind left hip. I made an adjustable strap 1 1/4 inch wide and it is useful no matter what hunting clothes I wear, winter or summer and in between. I never hunt without my 8x32 Leicas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used both and prefer the simple harness. Not the great big ones.

The Rick Young harness looks good with lots of flexibility.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
horse horse horse horse

hammering hammering hammering hammering

Discussed and beat to death.

coffee

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
horse horse horse horse

coffee

Is there anything you talk about has not been discussed before? clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Mine stay in the truck. Carried them with harness on first two safaris. One less thing to lug around or worry about. Works for me

Posts: 262 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
horse horse horse horse

coffee

Is there anything you talk about has not been discussed before? clap

Using the "Find" function on this particular issue generates at least 20 threads hashing this silly topic to death. Let's see if we can summarize all those threads.

1) Harness - Not approved for Manly Men!

2) Over the offside shoulder, at the waist - Official method used and endorsed by Mark Sullivan, in other words, approved for Manly Men!

3) Mini Binos in the shirt pocket - Used by those who have been there, done that, and have the T Shirt to prove it, in other words, Manly Men who no longer need to prove they are Manly Men

4) Leave them in the cruiser - Used by those who rely on the PH for everything, including sorting things out when the situation goes "pear shaped", you know, the type who would say, "your best bet is a scoped 375". In other words, those who feel safe in the company of Manly Men!

Did I leave anything out?

stir

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny right there..

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very happy with this solution:

https://fhfgear.com/collection...s/bino-harness-pro-m

I've carried my rangefinding binos in the field with this method for at least 100 days of hunting over the past 4 years. Having them protected, being able to belly crawl or stalk with them at the ready, all weighed into my decision. (I use a full size 10x bino so the side carry option isn't a comfortable one, only the little binoculars stay put on that technique ala Mark Sullivan)

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
I carry Swarovski 8x20 binoculars with the cord around my neck and the binoculars in my shirt pocket. I keep a larger set of binoculars in my backpack in the cruiser for use while riding around looking for spoor, but I rarely require anything bigger than the 8x20s while actually hunting.

My system also except Mrs Blacktailer carries the larger binos and the light rifle. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Damn, Todd, that's FUNNY! tu2 You even managed to "one up" Saeed!! rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Strap around right shoulder, binos under left armpit. Harnesses are too hot, don’t allow shirt vents to work well.

Yup!! We want those Tsetse getting in any way possible. Big Grin

I use the Cal approved "sissy bra" but get a pass for cooking at the double shoot.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did I leave anything out?

stir

jumping

The current mileage on your Cummins diesel. sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote