THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    good hunting knives - any suggestions?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

good hunting knives - any suggestions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "white Hunter" was issue to some Rhodesian units. Still have mine and love it. Long since replaced the grips with hippo hide and the blade has been sharpened so often that the serations by the grip have totally disapeared, but it does everything I cannot do with a Leatherman Super tool Wink

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's a "white Hunter", and who makes it?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the last few years I've been using Blackjack knives. They have a guide series knife that really fits the bill for me. Stout blades of about 4" and a full tang design. I dressed out three elk this year with mine and never touched the sharpening steel. Still shaves the hair on my arm. With the Blackjack knives my No. 1 Randall stayes in the safe.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the replies, its great to see this response and to read all the different views and opinions. thanks again

anticipation of fear is worse than fear itself

Posts: 62 | Location: Krugersdorp, Gauteng South Africa | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I own a variety of knives, the ones that really get a work-out are a pair of Buck folders. Great steel. I also usually carry a Gerber folder - much softer steel, so it doesn't hold an edge very long, but very easy to sharpen. Between a Buck and a Gerber in my pack, I feel well equiped.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WPN,

Believe Ganyana refers to Puma's White Hunter. It was my first serious hunting knife and the blade shape is terrific although I find the knife (which has horn or bone handles can't recall) does not really have enough heft for a good general camp knife.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes is it a puma " White Hunter". Handles were artificial stag horn on mine - yuk, but that blade shape makes it useful for skinning as well as cutting biltong, opening tin cans - and it is a fair stabing knife if push comes to shove.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, if we are throwing stabing into the mix a Camillus USA M3 is tough to beat. But, I learned a long time ago that if I am close enough to stab someone, I am close enough to shoot them.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll weigh in on this one for the simple reason that my skinner used my knife to skin one of my animals on my recent safari and then pretty much asked if he could use it on most of the rest...including the buff. A Benchmade (Model 190) drop point hunter. Great knife that I've had for some time. I used it a few years ago to help skin out a pronghorn and mule deer in Wyoming...I liked it, but the skinner's repeated requests were what impressed me the most. And he had a few knives of his own.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a fixed blade store bought knife it is hard to beat the Cold Steel Master Hunter. Just a plain working knife in a straight forward design.
I use more often than not the Swiss Army Hunter, It has a sharp blade that locks, a super saw that I have cut down stuff you wouldn't believe and the gut blade will slice thru Superman I think, The tweezers have save my "attitude" a number of times too. A customer got me onto this knife.
I must have 3 dozen custom made knives and love them all but I still carry and use the Swiss Army more than any of them. Go figure!

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blade tech pro hunter lite. most excellent knife. used for impala, zebra and black wildebeest. i have 2 black and orange both really good with plain edge.

i also have two basic 4" gerbers with a drop point and clip point blade shape. fixed blades they are pretty good, but less useful than the folders.i rate kershaw, buck(i loved my scoutlite which i had for years) and CRKT, but the blade techs have really been great.buy the prohunter lite and don't cry when you lose one, in fact buy 3 you'll not regret it.

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Well, I may as well wade in here, too. My favorite, and admired by PH, apprentice PH, skinners and trackers alike, is a Bark River Knife and Tool "Gameskeeper". 4 1/4", 7/32" thick A2 blade. And, it was used to dispatch my Nyassa Wildebeest. So much for splinters and dinner tables! Razzer
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Get ready for the Guffaws-- in Africa, I got good use out of a Linder Dagger. Don't even know if they might be illegal. Better for poking holes in things like thick-skinned bait or wherever holes need to be poked. Wouldn't choose it for a working knife or for anywhere else, but if willing Skinners and their skinning knives are gonna be in constant attendence, why take a knife that is primarily made for skinning?
Also, I always take my Leatherman.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
For a working knife you are going to be able to use the rest of your life and will not cost you and arm and leg like a Randall-buy a Dozier in a style you like, a Reeves or an Ingram.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i go hunting to use my knife.i own a puma skinner for 25 yrs and know nothing about knives.I manage to get a little better with its use every year,and i feel satisfied.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote