Find
Notify
Tools

A good Plains game book for my son
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a plains game book or 2 for my son before we head to Namibia this June. He has watched ever Tracks across Africa TV show till he has them memorized and his Youtube skills are on point but there is just something about reading about the Dark Continent. It is easy to give him Big 5 books but the plains game books are a bit harder to find. Any of your favorites would be helpful.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Perfect Shot has good information on each species, in addition to correct shot placement of course.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a book with interviews of various Namibian PH's. I planned to buy it but didn't get around to it. It had an interview with Alan Cilliers who I've hunted with. I think that book whatever it is called would be a good read. And if you figure out what the title is, remind me so I can buy a copy.

Posts: 10318 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 715 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The above referenced book would be excellent for a first time plains game hunter

Posts: 1018 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Trouthunterdj: There is a perfect book for your son entitled “Africa” by Sporting Classics. It’s a collection of 41 short stories, all dealing with African hunting. Of particular interest is a short story entitled “Kopjes and Shallow Graves”. It’s about a father and son hunting with Jan du Plessis at his Sebra Hunting Safari ranch. There’s another short story entitled “The Road to Kamanjab “. It’s about a hunt with Jan’s neighbor and fellow PH Danie Jansen van Vuuren. I shot a trophy Black Wildebeest and Springbok on Danie’s ranch in 2013 and a Blue Wildebeest on Danie’s ranch in 2017.
I highly recommend this book. Jan has a copy at his guest chalet, which is where I first read it. Then I ordered a copy for my home library.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hannay,

That's the book I was thinking of. Thanks. With respect to Alan, he's had a lot of success on nice elephant. But twenty years ago at least he was dead set against a brain shot for clients.

Posts: 10318 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trouthunterdj,

21 Days in Africa by Donald J. Donarski Jr. a really good plainsgame book. Send me a PM where you want the book sent, your son can keep the book to add to his collection.

Best of luck to you and your son on the hunt.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

I am humbled by your offer and by this group.

Thank you,

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I might also suggest some general guide books. Given the variety of animals one runs across, beefing up on all kinds of animals (to me) will only add to the experience.

Two books I really like for general knowledge are:

The Safari Companion by Estes

The Kingdon Field Guide to African Mammals by Kingdon

These books are great for understanding habits and social behavior of African animals.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
"AFRICAN GAME ANIMALS"
This is a free book offered with subscriptions to AFRICAN HUNTING GAZETTE.
I consider AHG to be the premier, if not premium magazine covering all things hunting in Africa. This would be a great primer for your Son's reading prior to your adventure!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trouthunter,

One other thing you might want to check out is some books on flora and fauna. I have books on birds and trees and shrubs that I review in advance of every trip. They are too bulky to take with, but it's nice to recognize a bird or a tree and not have to ask the PH.

one of us
posted Hide Post
THDJ, see if you can get some of these books on kindle to reduce bulk in carry-ons/suitcases. Of those I have read, Estes, Safari Companion, is compelling as it tells you why the animal is doing what it's doing, e.g. nuzzling another animal.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Yep, the Safari Companion is excellent.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13393 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Overland:
The Perfect Shot has good information on each species, in addition to correct shot placement of course.

I agree,.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. The thing to be careful about is to shoot too high on many of the antelopes.