Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes for a Leopard Gun?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted
OK Boys- I'm building my Chui rifle for a couple years down the road. The gun is a 1959 Colt Coltsman, chambered for 300 H&H Magnum. The hunt will most likely be during "daylight" hours, over bait. It will be the light rifle for all future safaris (and a great mate to my Model 70's in 375 & 416). What scope would you recommend? Money is not unlimited, but I'm not cheap either. Illuminated reticle? 30mm tube? Or is a traditional 1" tube Leupold enough?

BN

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would use something like a Zeiss 3x-9x or Leupold 2.5x-8x. These scopes are simple, pretty rugged and transmit light well. They also have sufficient eye relief to avoid your joining the 'half-moon club'.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I'd go with either of the following

3-12 x 50 Swaro with IR (which I use on my 308)

OR

Z6 2-12 x 50 IR (which I wish I had!!)

The clarity through these scopes at low light conditions is second to none, and with the cost of a safari being what it is, and the fact that you wil put a good scope on anyway you only need to find the extra dollars. Mine works a treat on my deer rifle and I can shoot confidently in very low light conditions with that rifle.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Zeiss 1.5x5.5....but it's on a 404. The 300 would have more range so the high mag would probably be better.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Zeiss 3-12x56 T* with IR. It's second to none.

On top of my Sauer 202 in 9,3x62 or on my Blaser K95 in 7x65R, it accounts for dozens of wild boar taken by moonlight.

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
At the advice of my PH, I purchased a Leupold 3.5X10X50 (ill reticle). I first tried the leupold 1.5X5X20 (30mm tube and ill reticle) but it was about as worthless as tits on a boar hog in low light.(I took them both on a hog hunt where the animals tend to only come out at dawn or dusk and in dark swamp) I would have preferred a 1.75X6X42 (ill) Swaro, but I just don't think it was THAT much better for 2.5X the price. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BN

I honestly think for your 300 H&H any premium mid range variable will be perfect for leopard/plains game. If you have the budget a 30 mm euro scope might give you a slight advantage but if not don't worry just buy a Leupold and kill a big tom.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12923 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Do you guys feel the extra money for the illuminated reticle is worth the price? How about the Trijicon type reticle? I've heard they're good, but I've never hunted with one.
I agree with the 3x9, or thereabouts, so it makes a good long range PG rifle. I know my luck, and that cat will come in the worst light available. Trying to hedge my bets!!! BN

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Nderobo:
Do you guys feel the extra money for the illuminated reticle is worth the price?

Bwana - absolutely! Having an illuminated reticle can mean the difference between being able to shoot, or deciding not to risk it.

Leopard have a habit of coming to the bait only when shooting light is on the slim side of marginal.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13479 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've used micro-dots in 1-4 and 2-7 with the illuminated dot. micro-dot only illuminated a 1 minute dot so it doesn't blind you. and yes i do use the dot

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SBP
posted Hide Post
I have put the Schmidt Bender 3-12x50 IR on my Blaser R93 375 H&H for leopard/lion in Zim. for June.
I have used this scope on my 340 Wby for US big game. I have Swarovski, Zeiss and several others but I have to say I like the SB the best especially when it comes to sighting in. When you click for a 1/2 inch or 2 inches(actually centimeters) it is right on the money. No go past and come back stuff crisp clicks with visual gauges on the adjusment dial. It is exceptionally clear and I like the variable dot intensity.
I would not have purchased one had I not been going for the big cats though.
Good luck!

Posts: 41 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
(Honest, but maybe dumb question)

I notice you fellas are seeming to choose higher magnification scopes. Why is that desirable for leopard?

Thanks,

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SBP
posted Hide Post
http://www.schmidtbender.com/choosingascope.shtml

This link might help. I wanted a 50mm objective with an L3 reticle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of hooey is printed about scopes and Leopards...Leopards are shot at reasonable ranges, mostly at about 40 yards. Any good quality scope will work just fine even at night.

I have always used a 3X, 1x4x or 1.5x5 Leupold with a standard duplex crosshair and never had any sort of problem. In fact those are the scopes I have used for 90 percent of all my hunting. I tried all the European scopes and the 30 MM and found no advantage whatsoever for myself...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40 yards? The heck do you need a scope for??

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't used it on leopard, but I have a 3.5x10 Leupold VXL (the 50mm with the offset so it can be mounted low) on a Kimber 300 win. On low magnification, it sure seems to gather a lot of light after sundown.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
I would consider an IR for leopard, but I've not used one for leopard. If its getting dark, and spot lights are taboo, you'll appreciate it.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Is one type of Illuminated Reticle better than others? I was concerned about having the battery die at the wrong time (things in my life just seem to go that way), so thats why I thought the Trijicon (without battery) was a good idea. Anyone used one? BN

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

One of Us
Picture of SBP
posted Hide Post
I tried several. I like the small dot much better than the circle or crosshair effect. The battery in the SB is supposed to be good for 100 hrs of use and has a cap that holds a spare battery so you have a new one wherever you go. It has standard crosshairs so in the event that the unexpected happens you are not SOL. I am not familiar with the Trij. if you can vary the intensity of the light. I would assume not. It would be a big concern of mine in the twilight that if to intense you would lose vision.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana

The illuminated reticle is worth every penny.

I have made several shots in low light and even some shots in the middle of the day when the animal was standing in shadow where the illuminated reticle really helped.

If your rifle was a 375 then I would recommend a Swarovski or a S&B in the 1-6x42 range.

But you might want more maginfication on a 300 mag, I know I would.

The Swaros that Fallow Buck recommended are the way to go.

Also I like using the reticle illuminated when shooting running game on low power.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Being that the 300H&H can be used for longer shots on plains game as well as for the Leopard.
I would recommend a 2.5-10x50 Zeiss, 3-9x42 Swarovski or Khales or the 3-12x42 S&B.
A Illuminated reticle would be great.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Kahles scopes one of which is a CL 3-10x50 which I would have to think would be a pretty good choice. CDNN is having a sale on them right now if you're interested in European glass.

Cheers,
Andy

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I prefer the S&B Flashdot scopes.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13479 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy a Schmidt & Bender illuminated reticle Zenith scope. Magnification and reticle style would be what appeals to you. It's expensive but so are leopard hunts!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with LJS and Mr Lexma, S&B 13/4 X 6 Zenith flashdot. I don"t own one but wish I did as I'm leaving for a leopard hunt in Zim on the 24th. Sometimes the choice is between buying all the goodies and going hunting. If you can do both you can't go wrong. Good Luck!

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6 with the Firefly reticle. You charge the reticle with a flash light and it glows for several hours. No batteries or electronic malfunctions. Very bright quality scope. I originally ordered a Schmidt Bender but it had very short eye relief and did not outperform the Elite 4200 in the backyard at night tests. It worked great shooting a hyena in the dark, but I got lucky and shot my leopard in daylight.

Scott

Posts: 414 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just put a Bushnell 4200 series 2.5 x 10 with the firefly reticle on my .300 Winchester Magnum with the intent of using it on a leopard some day. Bushnell's description of the firefly reticle was too generous. It takes more ten seconds with a flashlight to give you several hours of illumination. It works well, without added contraptions.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My leopard gun sports a Leupold VX III 3.5x10 50mm illuminated recticle, same as jorge's. Cool

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Nderobo:
Is one type of Illuminated Reticle better than others? I was concerned about having the battery die at the wrong time (things in my life just seem to go that way), so thats why I thought the Trijicon (without battery) was a good idea. Anyone used one? BN

The Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 has my vote for this purpose. An illuminated reticle that does not have batteries or an on/off switch, and which automatically adjusts the intensity for the light conditions, has got to be the best option for leopard. I have several Accupoints and one on my Merkel 9.3 double for my next foray into the Dark Continent (and for leopard I am hoping).

I love the illuminated post reticle but for those who don't like the post, Trijicon now have illuminated duplex, mildot and German #4 reticles, as well.

I am amazed that you Yanks aren't more attuned to Trijicon seeing as it is US company and the US Army and Marine Corp are now buying the ACOG (same technology as the Accupoint) and these combat sights are in service in Iraq and Afganistan.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bluefin,
You need a scope for Leopard because you hunt them at night. A Leopard blind is usually 50 yards or under from the bait, and a proper leopard blind will silowet the Leopard..

I see no reason for all these high powered scopes for a 40 yard shot...I have always seen the Leopard very clearly in a 3X Leupold and I am then better equiped for a follow up. this hockey gets started with someones imagination and just grows like a cancer. bsflag

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
In 8 safaris to Zimbabwe taking almost everthing there some including Leopard several times I have only used 3 scopes. Leupold VariX-III 1.5x5, Swarovski 1.5x4.5 and a Leupold VariX-III 3.5x10. The 3.5x10 was used on my 06 once and on my 7x57 once and all the other game has been shot with the low powered scopes and I did not feel penalized in any way. My first Leopard was on my first Safari and was shot over lights with a 375 using a Leupold VariX-III 1.5x5 and it was more than enough to pick which spot to shoot at. I have never really needed more power or light in any real way. Actually most of my game has been shot with one caliber with handloads that were not even maximum loads using Nosler Partition bulletes. The calibre 375H&H the scope Leupold VariX-III 1.5x5. The 375 rifles varied from Custom Model 70's to Brno ZKK602 to Heym 88B double. I feel so confident with 375's that I have carried 2 over several times. I did have a problem in So.Africa last time with the Heym and a Mdl 70 but they finally granted me an overnite permit and said don't do it again. I would be happy to hunt Africa with the 375 as my sole rifle for whatever game though I would not DELIBERATELY hunt Elephant with it again as I DO think it is marginal on Elephant.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
My leopard gun sports a Leupold VX III 3.5x10 50mm illuminated recticle, same as jorge's. Cool

What can I say? Great minds think alike...Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Although not Hunting Leopard, a friend was hunting Boar last weekend with his 308 Sako fullwood fitted with a 1.5-6x42 Swar.
On two evenings in a row he spotted (with Leica 10x40s)the same Big pig come out on last light but on bringing the rife up he could not see the animal with the scope.
This situation can happen on an expensive Leopard hunt so I would think its advisable to use the best light gathering scope available.
Imo this is a European brand with x42 minimum and better still a scope with a x50 objective bell.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I do not like the IR of the firefly type scopes.
1) at some point, you have to shine a bright light into the tube to get it to fluoresce. At the wrong time or place, turning on a flashlight could be very problematic.
2) the greenish fluorescence tends to hamper night vision of one's eyes.
I got my leopard with a 4200firefly when it was very dark in the morning. If I closed my eyes for a few moments, then looked thru the scope, I could see for a second or so. Once I could tell the bait was moving, next see the leopard standing on his hind legs feeding, next standing broadside with crosshairs(un-illuminated) behind shoulder.
I understand that the red-dots do not hamper night vision, but have not tried them.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great information Steve. Thank you.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why take any chances?
I use a Swar 2.5-10x56 for all those situations
when you need all light you can get. Of course
the crosshair is illuminated!

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Here's one more question: Can you see an appreciable difference in light transmission between 1" tube scopes and 30mm tube scopes?
I've never owned a 30mm tube, and was wondering if it was worth the additional investment...

Thanks to all who offered advice-- BN

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 30 mm tube offers no light transmission advantages over a 1 inch tube. The following is from the Leupold website "Q&A" section:

The Leupold Answer Guide

Advantages of a 30mm Maintube
Does a 30mm main tube give you more light? The principal advantages of the 30mm tube are added strength and increased adjustment range for windage and elevation. For example, the M8-12X (1" main tube) has a total elevation adjustment of 51 minutes. The Mark-4 M1-10X (30mm main tube) has 90 minutes. The percentage of light passing through a scope is a function of lens coating and optical design, and has nothing to do with tube diameter.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure I understand what Leupold is saying - looking through an opening that is 17% larger (1" vs. 30mm) does not help with brightness? In other words, if I am looking through a peep hole and then opened the peep hole by 17%, I would see no difference? The relationship may not be exponential but it would at least be linear.

THat does not make sense to me....

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,
Your logic is great...if the lenses were made bigger to fit the 30mm body. They aren't. The space is used for the mechanicals to increase the adjustment range.
Personally, I'd like to see them increase the lens size and keep the standard adjustment range. Now that would help, especially in the straight-tubed scopes.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote