THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    which bolt action is best for big bore?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which bolt action is best for big bore?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to know your choice.

Question:
Which do you think is best (accuracy,feeding,extracting,safety)?

Choices:
starlee
winchester mod 70 CRF
waffenbeik hein
sako
remington push feed
weatherby
the one martini and hagn use
other (please specify)
dakota

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M70 Push feed. (For the quick and simple feeding when operated correctly and right way up/not running with the action open.)

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger Magnum in 416 Rigby. Send it off for a recoil pad, trigger and stouter ejector spring and you have the best DG game rifle period.................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
M 98 magnum lenth, or its clones.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Karl S, said it all !

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
By Starlee do you mean Satterlee? I don't know which of the CNC made actions can be considered clones as I think most have some form of modification from the original Magnum Mauser, and sometimes they are considered improvements. But the Prechtl (Golmatic)actions, the Granite Mountain actions, the Satterlee actions, and the announced Waffenfabrik Hein 98 action all have their acolytes.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:

Echo clap

Cheers beer
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I meant to spell Satterlee.Thanks Wink.That Satterlee looks like a mean action!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJ_Miller:
Ruger Magnum in 416 Rigby. Send it off for a recoil pad, trigger and stouter ejector spring and you have the best DG game rifle period.................JJ
JJ,i just visited their site and saw that they make rifles for big bores.Hey,they look alot like Winchesters.Fairly priced too by the look of the wood and barrel ramp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't beat good old mauser 98. And that's a fact. There was an article about thhat in African Hunter some time ago.

Posts: 94 | Location: North-Eastern Europe, Estonia | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jal,i just tested my remington push feed upside down and it ejects them perfectly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a very personal take, but I'll go with the M98 / clone camp. I just LOVE my Mausers!

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Granite Arms so öther for my vote.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the commercial FN Supreme action. However, when you talk about accuracy that would mean to me truing the action. I would think modern metalurgy favors action truing over the older actions. When I think big bore I think dangerous game and that leads me to CRF. Therefore, I would prefer the new Winchester M70 Classic for .375 H&H length case big bores. If I were considering a .416 Rigby size case I would investigate "opening" the M70 action compared to what other actions are available.

For the survey, I voted Winchester M70 CRF.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I voted Other,since you didn't include double rifles! Razzer

For an off the shelf rifle the Ruger Safari, the CZ 550, or the Mod 70 Win.

For actions to build a rifle, Mauser Magnum action, or the 98

All need to be slicked up to be completely reliable with the cartridge they will be barreled for! That is a given, you don't go the race track with an "out of the box" engine in your car, and expect to win, why would do the same with a rifle you will be depending on for your life?

NO PUSH FEED ACTION IS SUITABLE TO BUILD A DGR PERIOD!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:

VZ 24

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The 98 Mauser or a close derivative.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M98 Magnum Mauser... Cool

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
M98
Pre-64 M70

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
what makes a 98 better than a M70? I thought they were basically the same design.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
mauser m98. most bolt actions use it as foundation for a reason. CZ 550 are a good version of it at a better price, original mausers (new) could be expensive.

anticipation of fear is worse than fear itself

Posts: 62 | Location: Krugersdorp, Gauteng South Africa | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
what makes a 98 better than a M70? I thought they were basically the same design.

Basicly , but not exactly!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see there are a few Winchester fans.I was wondering,not haveing owned a custom Winchester are the actions on the customs any better than the out of the box? There was a photo on their catalogue of an action on a vice with a file.Does that suggest anything?

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have one custom Winchester .375 H&H that I have never had any custom work done on prior to using it on dangerous and other African game. I have killed elephant, cape buffalo and lion with it. My other Winchesters that I have used for dangerous and other African game, have all had some work done on them by my gunsmiths prior to using them. Most of those have been customized.

one of us
posted Hide Post
UEG,what kind of work did your gunsmith do to them?

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone already mentioned it and I missed it but I've sure heard good things about Reimer Johannsen Inc.

They're out of my budget, but I've looked at them and they're pretty impressive.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Reworked the trigger, bedded the actions, did some chamber polishing. Most of my african guns have also been restocked and reblued, etc, with some of them having the recoil pad replaced with a better one as well. On one, he had to replace the extractor because it seemed to have a problem right off of the bat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best actions for big bores are made by Granite Mountain Arms of Prescott, Arizona and Karl Heinz-Ritterbusch of Germany. The Satterlee action may be in that league too.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgive me for this shameless plug but I have a M70 CRF in 338 Win Mag listed in the classified section of www.go-on-safari.com

Does Waffenbeik hein have a website?

Thanks

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Altho not known as a dangerous game action, I think the BAT actions are easily some of the best actions produced anywhere. And they meet all the critiera you mentioned.

"No one is on my ignore list. Hell I can do that myself."

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, although your Remington push feed extracts perfectly while upside down, betcha it won't feed well in that position.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog thanks for the link

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SGrave155,I just tried it out with my Sendero 300WM and to my surprise it worked perfectly! I'll have to try that with my other rifles!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I know that when a lion has me upside-down by the feet, I can still shoot him with a Remington!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just had to try it. My Rem 700 chambers and extracts perfectly while upside down. I don't plan to shoot standing on my head but it amazing what some of the cranks come up with to try and bash Remington. Why don't they grow up?

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Jal,i just tested my remington push feed upside down and it ejects them perfectly.

Sure, but the weight of my 500gr .458s does a self-eject BEFORE getting to the chamber, when upside down. Eeker

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAL,are you feeding with one firm uninterupted motion?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By design: M98 without a skeric of doubt.
By quality of manufacture: Hartmann&Weiss MagnumMauser. ...got $6k?
Gerry Fisher,Hagn/Martini,Echols,Blackburn give HW the Thumbs up as the supremeM98. I have not asked them all what they think of Satterlee.Only spoke with the Hagn lads recently,but they had not seen a Satterlee to be able to give a valued Judgement.

posted Hide Post
CZ 550 in 458 Lott and 375 H&H
Best priced Mauser action on the planet and tough as nails.

Posts: 4 | Location: Colorado USA | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote