New
Find
Notify
Tools

How old is this Shumba?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is why I said 6+ rather than 6 years old.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
That is why I said 6+ rather than 6 years old.

465H&H

Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37855 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
All this guesstimation from photos shot in B&W with a trail camera does is show how damned hard it is.

I hate trail cameras in hunting, BTW. Might as well have your own damned satellite. Too bloody much technology, IMHO.

Does that make it harder? So what? Tough.

The answer to the "How old?" question in this case is that he's on the edge and should be left alone.

Don't shoot unless it's a sure thing should be the rule.

But money talks and guesstimates on the edge will be pushed over unless there's a high and hard price to pay.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13639 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
the best part of this debate is that readers get the chance to see the reasoning behind ageing, for to long many a hunter to africa was hoodwinked with regards to lion hunting - by this I mean age , canned not canned , what is a good trophy , size of head versus size of mane ,further sadly many outfitters got away with all kinds of rubbish because the hunter simply did not know better , this forum makes all hunters better informed
Graeme Pollock

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:
the best part of this debate is that readers get the chance to see the reasoning behind ageing, for to long many a hunter to africa was hoodwinked with regards to lion hunting - by this I mean age , canned not canned , what is a good trophy , size of head versus size of mane ,further sadly many outfitters got away with all kinds of rubbish because the hunter simply did not know better , this forum makes all hunters better informed
Graeme Pollock

Good point Graeme, and certainly the hope for us all. The lion can have more benefit if we are all better informed, and so can the guy paying for the hunt.

Its likely gonna get alot harder for the PH to use the "bush cat" excuse Cool

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Eleven months later, Professor Labat and I have done some additional field research and we have reached some very unscientific conclusions.

More photos soon.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Similar angles, 11 months apart.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang It Man!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! You're killing me... Can't wait to the there! Only 4 more weeks!

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Will,
What conclusions did you and Prof. Labat come to on maturity of this lion? His mane filled in a bit over his shoulder.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37855 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Will,
What conclusions did you and Prof. Labat come to on maturity of this lion? His mane filled in a bit over his shoulder.

He stopped aging on 6-7-12 at 5:03am Zim time.
Cool

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Cool. Now send me one of his upper PM2's (first little tooth on either side of upper jaw) to X-ray and this study will be complete! tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
A morning lion - awesome!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote