Find
Notify
Tools

shadow shield use?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All

have a look at the link, what is your opinion on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ocsM&feature=related

my 2c is that i would not use it, what next a tablet that makes you melt into your surroundings so that you can kill the elephant with a pocket knife undetected.

my vote is obvious

Question:
would you use the shadow shield?

Choices:
yes
no

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Jim Shockey were dying of thirst I wouldn't walk across the street to piss down his throat. I see him as less entertaining than Mark Sullivan and not much better in terms of redeeming social value.

But,

that's just me.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Other than that what do you think of him? rotflmo

Aubs,

It's actually nothing new mate. The traditional version is an umbrella and even before that, just a cut bush.... magic guarry was always a good one because they're so dense. In fact, that's probably where the old Zulu belief comes from that when you point a piece if it at an animal you're hunting, it weakens their senses and makes it easier to get close to them.

Would I use such a thing? ........ hmmm depends on the circumstance.

Have I used that method in the past? - yes I have. I've used both umbrellas and magic guarry at different times and they both work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen umbrellas used. I have used them myself turkey hunting here in FL.

Would I use that device? NO!

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the next new thing Shockey " Trusts his life to" along with every other sponsor on his show.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not in Africa but anything is fair game to get into range of chuckars.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
umbrella, bit of bush. thats improvising - this is different in my books

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Nothing but a moving blind. Umbrellas have been used for that for years and years.

We have used a portable screen of camouflage similar to that, at least in concept, on stalks after Cape buffalo, where no cover was available.

We got inside 10 yards of an entire herd of 300 or so buffalo once in the Selous doing that - no shot, but we took some incredible video of the buff at very close range.

And as far as Jim Shockey goes, I have always liked him and enjoyed his programs. To compare him to Sullivan is ludicrous, IMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like a way to charge big money for nothing more than a new slant on an old idea.

Still, nothing wrong with capitalism I guess. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
If Jim Shockey were dying of thirst I wouldn't walk across the street to piss down his throat. I see him as less entertaining than Mark Sullivan and not much better in terms of redeeming social value.

But,

that's just me.

Rich
DRSS

Be sure and let us know if you develop a strong opinion on the matter. Big Grin

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
I will have to admit, that is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen....

Scratch that, I live in Tanzania, that's pretty dumb but I've seen a lot dumber here in TZ Eeker

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
From the looks of it, it's basically a giant mirror? I would be worried about the sun reflecting off of it and spooking game. No, I wouldn't use it.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW another useless item for some memebrs here to take with them rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo will it fit in my useless backpack rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to change the subject BUT Aurbrey have you become emotionaly attached to the croc skull yet????????? jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
Welcome to the next new thing Shockey " Trusts his life to" along with every other sponsor on his show.

Dave,

So you know Jim well and that makes two of us? Not sure what you are insinuating?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy Shockey's shows for the most part. I really enjoy those with his old father ot his good looking daughter. But when he holds up his TC muzzle loader after a buff, eleohant or leopard hunt and say's "I trust my life to mo TC Muzzleloader and you should too!" I nearly barf.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aubrey,
I charge extra if you become emotionaly involved with the skull I have bronzed rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's fair to say I TRUST MY LIFE to some products we take into the bush like guns, bullets,and that kind of stuff, I do to. But he wears that out weekly as clothes, hearing protectors,sleeping bags, bows, scopes, sleeping bags and more all fall into that category and straight from his mouth. More funny then anything to me. I think he needs a new tag line though.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DAVE,
It would be a good tag line for you since you stand behind a camera without a gun bullets etc. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Why is Shockey dressed like he should be playing lead in the Broadway version of "Brokeback Mountain" at the start of the video?

Terrible video. All they show is the back of the product.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that's stupid, I wouldn't carry something like that around. an umbrella for whatever reason at least collapses and is easy to carry, but this monstrosity?

I don't watch many hunting shows, and the few times I do if there are a lot of commercials or it is overly endorsed I turn it off.

and I never watch anything at all that is black powder/muzzle loader. I have absolutely no use for them and therefore no interest whatsoever.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Strictly a money maker only. I can see camo or an umbrella when hunting buf.

Leupold should use Shockey for how to use a rifle scope and get the "Leupold loop" over your eye. I have seen Jim get cracked at least 4 times.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just more crap to carry around...but Jim probably needs to put food on a table like all of us. We just don't have to buy into it. And honestly if your hair is out of place you can turn it around to make adjustments!!! Nothing like a well dressed bwana in the bush.

Posts: 98 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 26 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I have seen photos of goose hunting blinds made out of mirrors. Look very effective. I wouldn't carry one to Africa, but I'd darn sure use one in North America for hunting pronghorns.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

But,

that's just me.

Rich
DRSS

ISS - Have you actually met Jim and spent time with him to form such an opinion?? That seems a little harsh!

Jim can definitely be a bit over the top, but overall he's a pretty good guy. I have hunted with Jim a time or two, and I have booked numerous safaris for Jim, including his very first African safari a few years back to Namibia.

He's a very good hunter, a fabulous shot with his muzzleloader, in very good shape, and extremely tough. He takes his hunting very seriously, sometimes too seriously, but he's always good fun to share a camp fire with at the end of the day. Just like all of us, he's trying to make a living. Not sure about this product, as I have not tried it. But as for Jim personally. Get to know the man, and you'll likely think he's an all-right dude.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did he actually pay a dime for any of those hunts? He admitted, under pressure at SCI one year that at least a few of them were "provided in exchange for the TV footage".

I am a traditional BP hunter/shooter. They should never have allowed any of the substitute powders,etc in primitive seasons. Idaho corrected that mistake, which is why you will never see him hunt here. Black Powder is just and only that.

In every phase of primitive weapon seasons the past thirty years the initiative has been to somehow prostitute the link to American Heritage. Inlines, primer ignition, sabot jacketed bullets, etc. It's supposed to be more of a challenge, and the built in handicaps are the reason why there are special seasons for muzzleloaders. You are at zero handicap except reloading time with my M94 30-30. The new garbage is just to try and "steal" an animal from the people who got these special seasons started with flintlocks. Think of it as poaching. The new stuff disappears when ever states require you to hunt only one season with one type of weapon. Those once a year guys go back to their 30-06's in a New York minute when they have to choose.

Let me know when he makes a hunt/video using a 1770's era Lancaster flinter with a patched roundball.

Don't take it too personally, I think the world would be a better place if the population were about three hundred million or a bit less; and I got to do the culling...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did he actually pay a dime for any of those hunts? He admitted, under pressure at SCI one year that at least a few of them were "provided in exchange for the TV footage".Rich
DRSS

Rich - Not ONLY DID JIM PAY for all of the hunts, he paid full price!!! I will guarantee you, SCI has never pressured Jim into anything, much less admitting something that never happened. Whoever told you that is WRONG, and certainly doesn't know Jim at all!! Its amazing to me some of the things people say, with absolutely no knowledge regarding the facts. Jim always pays his way, PERIOD!!! But, if he didn't, what the hell does that matter, and what the hell does that have to do with anything?? And frankly, why would you care??

I'll tell ya this Rich, regardless of the powder/gun/roundaball blah, blah, blah. Jim would get er done, trust me, I've watched him do it!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
But, if he didn't, what the hell does that matter, and what the hell does that have to do with anything?? And frankly, why would you care??
QUOTE]

+1 . ISS Dont hate player hate the game.
I enjoy Shockeys shows the few ive seen anyway, he does what all we guys talk about...He hunts all year everyday in the most beautiful places on this earth - Please, keep doing that.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Schaefer
posted Hide Post
Don't some people hunt Pronghorns like that?, with a mirror on the front side. Does that product have a mirror on it's front side?

I personally like watching some of his shows since he does a lot of unique and remote hunts around the world. Like above, don't hate the player, hate the game. It is like that on almost every show. Look at Michael Wadell (don't get me started on him), I doubt he could even remember all the products he endorses. Its another product to endorse that he gets a fat check for. I'd do it if I was in his place, why not? More money = more hunting. To each their own.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..."
Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Posts: 52 | Location: Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The place I would really be interested in using it would be for predator hunting.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't take it too personally, I think the world would be a better place if the population were about three hundred million or a bit less; and I got to do the culling...

Rich
DRSS
i wondered how long it would be before the REAL ISS put in an appearance. he has been much to reserved since his last major dust up.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Rich, I've already thrown my hat in the ring for worldwide depopulator. I'd start with every single person that drove under the speed limit or held up the fast lane on the freeway, that'd probably clear out about 70% of the US population right there. Follow up with guys that think 45/70's are dangerous game rifles Wink

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Not to change the subject BUT Aurbrey have you become emotionaly attached to the croc skull yet????????? jumping

ha ha ha steve can kiss it goodbye.... rotflmo trying to make a plan to get it to him one way or another

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Aubs,

I might have a plan and will give you a call today. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Sorry Rich, I've already thrown my hat in the ring for worldwide depopulator. I'd start with every single person that drove under the speed limit or held up the fast lane on the freeway, that'd probably clear out about 70% of the US population right there. Follow up with guys that think 45/70's are dangerous game rifles Wink

Red

Dago Red,

I could sign on to your plan.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did he actually pay a dime for any of those hunts? He admitted, under pressure at SCI one year that at least a few of them were "provided in exchange for the TV footage".

I am a traditional BP hunter/shooter. They should never have allowed any of the substitute powders,etc in primitive seasons. Idaho corrected that mistake, which is why you will never see him hunt here. Black Powder is just and only that.

In every phase of primitive weapon seasons the past thirty years the initiative has been to somehow prostitute the link to American Heritage. Inlines, primer ignition, sabot jacketed bullets, etc. It's supposed to be more of a challenge, and the built in handicaps are the reason why there are special seasons for muzzleloaders. You are at zero handicap except reloading time with my M94 30-30. The new garbage is just to try and "steal" an animal from the people who got these special seasons started with flintlocks. Think of it as poaching. The new stuff disappears when ever states require you to hunt only one season with one type of weapon. Those once a year guys go back to their 30-06's in a New York minute when they have to choose.

Let me know when he makes a hunt/video using a 1770's era Lancaster flinter with a patched roundball.

Rich
DRSS

Well Rich, at least we now know why you feel like you do! Wink

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Fjold said, the videography only shows the back of the product. It never shows the front of it. What the heck does it look like in the front? Since the video doesn't answer that question, it's an ineffective video. I'm a fan of Jim. ISS, ease up brother. That's rough what you said about Jim.

I hope you never get mad at me, so yes next year in Reno your chair will be there in my booth, with a little sumthin' sumthin' chilling in the cooler for you.

The variety of hunting shows is good for the industry. They can't all look the same. All the hosts can't have the same schtick. Shockey hunts hard, but needs sponsorship and you shouldn't fault a man for that. Whether he pays or not should not be an issue. How the content gets on the air is not the issue, as long as no laws were broken. It's the presentation of the aired content that should be critiqued.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SableTrail:
Like Fjold said, the videography only shows the back of the product. It never shows the front of it. What the heck does it look like in the front? Since the video doesn't answer that question, it's an ineffective video. I'm a fan of Jim. ISS, ease up brother. That's rough what you said about Jim.

The variety of hunting shows is good for the industry. They can't all look the same. All the hosts can't have the same schtick. Shockey hunts hard, but needs sponsorship and you shouldn't fault a man for that. Whether he pays or not should not be an issue. How the content gets on the air is not the issue, as long as no laws were broken. It's the presentation of the aired content that should be critiqued.

What Moja said.

Some of what Shockey says is pretty over the top (I got tired of his "World Record this" and "World Record that" articles, and am not a fan of the "No guff" or "I trust my life to" stuff), but he just trying to make a living, and I assume he's just going by the seat of his pants on this stuff for the most part.

Cheers
Chris

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to start some rage with this one, but since when has it been a crime to use CAMO or something that conceals the human form to hunt with....

Seriously, some of you spend all your time looking for things to stone people with, it is pretty nuts.

Jim's show is his, and lots of people enjoy watching, he is one of the few, that goes the distance to the wild places...

Get over yourselves...

Posts: 729 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this post has nothing to do with Jim, i met him at Reno two years back and he was extremely polite and a real gentleman.

this post has to do with taking the above shield into the field to hunt with, to me it is the same as shooting off of the back of a truck, not much to it.