THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Peaceful crocodiles not to blame for 19 deaths

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peaceful crocodiles not to blame for 19 deaths
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Africa News
'Peaceful' crocodiles not to blame for 19 deaths in Ugandan village

Dec 6, 2007, 11:30 GMT

Nairobi/Kampala - Ugandan wildlife officials have termed crocodiles 'peaceful' animals and will not act to protect a village where 19 people have been killed by the creatures this year, reports said Thursday.

The officials had camped by the shores of Lake Victoria, where the latest attack occurred last week, but concluded that the animals were not harmful, unless provoked.

'They said it was the residents who provoke the 'peaceful' animals,' Uganda's state-run New Vision quoted a local politician, Richard Naika, as saying.

Edward Gwebayanga, 20, was the latest victim in Bukizibu village, when he was eaten by a crocodile while bathing in the lake.

Crocodile attacks are not uncommon in their habitats in Africa and Asia and are the cause of hundreds of deaths annually.

© 2007 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pdpdad
posted Hide Post
You have to wonder if PITA has a branch in Uganda? Frowner
Pat

Posts: 48 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdpdad:
You have to wonder if PITA has a branch in Uganda? Frowner
Pat

They just send a check. Mad

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
free birth control.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've never met a peaceful crocodile that I didn't like!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can imagine that most of the crocs are probably somewhat 'peaceful', but I dont think peaceful is the correct word here, they probably meant 'man-eaters'. There are probably only a couple of man-eaters at most in the area. I know that smaller crocs (sub ten foot)can get quite aggressive around the breeding season, but they are usually not killers, not to say that they can't do a lot of damage if you are caught short.

Any croc that is large enough, say 12 foot or more is a potential man-eater and give them the right opportunies, such as swimming, washing, collecting water or wading in to fish and they will see you as food I am afraid. It is best to try and avoid these activities in croc waters if at all possible. Unfortunately the crocs involved probably realise that humans are easy meals and know where to lay in wait.

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
We are tasty and delicious food for them. so....dont get near

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote