New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eureka...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greek for "I have found it...". For those of you who went to public schools.

This issue (MS) and the tempest in a teapot it has created have left me puzzled a bit. I am more at a loss than when it started. But I have this notion...

Some of you prefer not to hear me discuss my work in Vietnam. Perhaps the thought of deliberately causing the death of other human beings, even those trying to kill you first is upsetting. There was a popular saying there" "to those who have fought, and nearly died for it, Freedom has a taste the protected can never know...". The Airborne Ranger Companies were the pure combat elite of the US Army in Vietnam. Less than forty-percent of those who qualified for Ranger School and began the "Seventy-seven Days of Hell" graduated. There were forty-two Rangers in the entire 30,000 plus soldiers assigned to the Americal (23rd Infantry) Division when I got there in 1969. I did three tours of duty there, and only one enemy soldier ever got a bullet in me. He died a few minutes later. So yes, I was a lot better than any of you who did not make the grade, or chose not to serve your country in the military. I am better now for the experience. It takes a man to do what I did. As a friend who was in Force Recon, First Mar Div there told some wanna-be at the VFW two weeks ago; "you weren't there, you can't even talk to me about serving your country like Kyz and I did. We killed for our country".
Note: it ain't bragging if you been there, and done it. If this bothers you, you need to look inside yourself and see what is missing.

So, that preliminary qualification aside; here's what really bothers me about Mark Sullivan and his videos. And those of you who think that's how a DG Safari is run; or that he is some sort of hero.

Mark Sullivan steals your (most likely only) chance to face danger and show you are a man.

There are likely well over a thousand posters here who have hunted Africa. Many of them saved for years (I did) to make a Dangerous Game Safari. Most likely, Cape Buffalo. You get close to Dangerous Game, and your adrenaline machine kicks into a gear you never knew you had.
You KNOW, that that animal will kill you if you screw up and it gets a chance. That "fight or flight syndrome" is all that's in your head. For perhaps the first time in your life, you are in a spot where that American Express Card is NOT what you didn't leave home without. Bill Gates or the average homeless person, makes no difference. What you are all about is here and now.
Your PH pays you the ultimate compliment if a Buff, or others of the Big Six get wounded and into the jess when he looks at you and says "let's you and me and the tracker go in and dig him out...". A professional, in a business you dream about being in, has faith enough in you to let you face death with him. There's this little voice inside your head or your gut that says "What in God's name are you doing?".
You give the PH that kinda shitty grin, and say "let's go.". And you check your rifle to make sure both barrels, or the magazine are charged and there's a round in the chamber.

So, you walk behind and a bit off to one side of the PH and the tracker, and you go after your own dark avatar. And your guts are churning inside you like the wringer cycle on the washing machine. Something in that jess wants to kill you, and it won't be a pretty death. So, the three of you wade the bush, and you stop and listen and look. And a few minutes, or a few hours later you find that animal. It snorts or growls, or doesn't make a sound; but it comes for you. And your PH says "Shoot!". And you do, and shoot again, and he does too if need be. And your worst nightmare, or grandest dream is laying there a couple feet in front of you, and he's dead. All of a sudden you are (as those Southern Boys say) shaking like a dog trying to shit a peach seed, and sweating like a hooker in Church.
And you don't smoke, but the PH has lit three cigarettes and handed one to you and one to the tracker, and you have taken one long puff and burned it down to the filter. All that in ten seconds. And now, you are shaking hands, and embracing as men do when they have faced death together; and you have passed the most important test in your life.

And Mark Sullivan will steal that opportunity from you if he can, and you may never know if you would have passed the test or not. Every animal in any of his videos was stolen from a client, unless that person knew, deep down inside he couldn't pass The Test, and had Mark take it for him.

And that is the basis of my discord. Primarily with Mark Sullivan, but to a lesser degree with those of you who will not or cannot see that.

Good night,

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iss,

If you did 3 combat tours in Vietnam (when I has on my momma's tit!) you have my ultimate respect.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...stick to yours, it belongs to you!
You have balls to speak your mind on this one.

Take Care,

Frank

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Spoken like an 11B!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Greek for "I have found it...". For those of you who went to public schools.

Guess I better stop there since I am a product of public schools...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody hell, ISS.

Get off your cross, we need the wood. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
11F4P.

How about you John? REMF!

Now it turns out that DSC banned MS eight years ago for video content.

I am smilin', smilin', smilin'.

Rich
DRSS

LeopardTrack and Teathound; it was my privilege and an honor to serve my country.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I guess part of the same reason to climb everest is the same to hunt DG without the D removed. We live mostly in an easy to survive modern world where the main challenge is to put in your shift at work and love your family. We feel the need to test ourselves by putting ourselves in dangerous situations to conquer and quell the savage spirit inside that is inate in us from thousands of years of instinct to fight to survive. When we have slayed the giants we feel strong and at peace knowing we can deal with anything that comes our way. The more we do ourselves of the hunt the better we feel. Does any of this ring true? Rich has seen a lot of danger and has put his ass on the line and I salute him. To live a long happy life and to test yourself by hunting dangerous game where you put yourself on his turf then smoke some killer stogies is a great and worthy adventure for a citizen warrior albeit a cranky one at times. I think the sport here on AR is to have the guts to put yourself out there to learn new things, to be a target and become wiser and make friends. I have made new friends here, learned so much and been humbled a few times too. It is good to see Mark post here so we can all learn things good and bad from eachother. Aint life great. patriot beer

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
11F4P.

How about you John? REMF!

Now it turns out that DSC banned MS eight years ago for video content.

I am smilin', smilin', smilin'.

Rich
DRSS

LeopardTrack and Teathound; it was my privilege and an honor to serve my country.

Ditto. 11B1P for me (got the pins in th spine to prove it), and I know your likes! Amen brother.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Airborne Ranger Companies were the pure combat elite of the US Army in Vietnam. Less than forty-percent of those who qualified for Ranger School and began the "Seventy-seven Days of Hell" graduated. There were forty-two Rangers in the entire 30,000 plus soldiers assigned to the Americal (23rd Infantry) Division when I got there in 1969. I did three tours of duty there, and only one enemy soldier ever got a bullet in me. He died a few minutes later. So yes, I was a lot better than any of you who did not make the grade, or chose not to serve your country in the military.

Are you saying or implying that you're a Ranger?

quote:
11F4P.

MOS skill identifier of "V" denotes Airborne Ranger. "P" is just for Airborne/Parachutist...

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee coffee coffee coffee

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Next thing you know he'll be saying he was LERPS in 'Nam. Wink

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS,

Interesting and insightful. You have rekindled a nagging regret from one of my hunts. I am in Chapter 25 of CM Safaris DVD Zambezi Extreme. MY PH was Alan Shearing and we were stalking a breeding herd of about 13 elephants looking to pick off a large tuskless in the back. I made a clean side brain shot and then all hell broke loose with the entire herd charging us. Alan told me to get back and I did as told making careful half circle retreats. Alan barely moved and then dropped the lead charging cow at about seven yards. It was the first time we hunted together and I followed his orders like a good soldier should, but looking back I wish I would have ignored his instructions and stood shoulder to shoulder and made the same shot. Most PHs out there probably would not like hearing that, but how many chances does a man get in his life to test himself that way? Standing your ground against a whole breeding herd of charging elephants is something that would never be forgotten and it's on video for the whole world to see. As most people here know Alan was badly injured by a Cape Buffalo and decided to give up PHing for a mining job. I have had contact with them and they do talk about how they put that video in every once in awhile to watch the charge.
I leave Sept. 2nd for a ten day double tuskless hunt in Makuti with CM Safaris again. I think before we leave on the first day I am going to have a little talk with my PH and let him know there will no tactical retreats on my part this time in case a similar event happens.
BTW, I was 95B 76-78 too late for Vietnam, but not too late to be abused by cantankerous old bastard NCOs like you.

Cheers,

Mike Core

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fosteology,

you need to read up on the war. When the 23rd waded ashore in Chu Lai in mid-1966, there were no Ranger Companies. The LRRP's, who preceded them; were created and assigned to Division later that same year. The 196th Bde. had their own LRPs, Echo 51st Recon Company; established the next year, in 1967.

It was about a year before I got there (summer of 1969) that the Army (in 1968) re-established the Ranger Companies, and assigned one to each division. E 51st and the division LRRPs were melted into G/C0 75th Inf (Abn). Prior to that time, they were not Ranger Qualified, because the Rangers did not exist per se. They were in Burma during WWII, but were folded up a year or two after the Korean War ended.
Check out www.lrrpranger.org. The MOS designation did not change until many years later, when three Ranger Battalions were created. The three exist today, I go to the reunions and get to meet the young guns every year. Makes me feel old, especially when I can remember running the Darby Queen in record time.

Sua Sponte...

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was privileged and honored to serve. I do not regret a day...

Rich
DRSS

Good hunting, you will do well if need be.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I appreciate your service. That said please find a hobby.....or something other than MS to obsess about!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since when did hunting Buffalo become the proving ground for being a man? Granted they can be very dangerous at times but i think this is all getting a bit melodramatic.

Some of us who live in Africa have been shooting buffalo since our early 20's and a fortunate few started in their teens. We live here, hunt here and whether you have shot 1 buffalo or 20 you are not going to get any more or less respect or status amongst your peers. We hunt cause that is what we love to do; it is certainly not a proving ground. There are many other far more challenging and permanent ways of trying to prove your manhood if that is what life is all about

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ISS/Rich I know two Rangers who served in Vietnam. I knew both men for about 6 years before I found out. The first post of yours, not to mention all subsequent posts, have been telling me all about your Vietnam experience. You were not there alone. Plenty of others served and died there. War is not glorious. Neither of these men described their actions over there. Neither claimed that they were better for what they did. In fact one man said he would probably go to hell for what he did over there.

"only one enemy soldier ever got a bullet in me. He died a few minutes later. So yes, I was a lot better than any of you who did not make the grade, or chose not to serve your country in the military. I am better now for the experience. It takes a man to do what I did".

Just my two cents.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by ISS:

"I did three tours of duty there, and only one enemy soldier ever got a bullet in me. He died a few minutes later. So yes, I was a lot better than any of you who did not make the grade, or chose not to serve your country in the military."

Originally posted by Peter:

"ISS/Rich I know two Rangers who served in Vietnam. I knew both men for about 6 years before I found out. The first post of yours, not to mention all subsequent posts, have been telling me all about your Vietnam experience. You were not there alone. Plenty of others served and died there. War is not glorious. Neither of these men described their actions over there. Neither claimed that they were better for what they did."

The above two posts put a lot in context for me.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I do NOT always agree with you but many times I do. I appreciate your willingness to speak your mind and your fortitude to stick to your guns.

As to your service in vietnam... patriot...I am forever beholding to you sir!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37771 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
ISS/Rich I know two Rangers who served in Vietnam. I knew both men for about 6 years before I found out. The first post of yours, not to mention all subsequent posts, have been telling me all about your Vietnam experience. You were not there alone. Plenty of others served and died there. War is not glorious. Neither of these men described their actions over there. Neither claimed that they were better for what they did. In fact one man said he would probably go to hell for what he did over there.

Vietnam strikes different emotions from different soldiers. Some choose to talk about it...others choose to keep quiet. I have known serval as well. I let the man who has been there decide how it is best for them to handle what is inside of them.

War is War...it is not pretty...many in the states do not have the stomach for what it takes to fight a war...Hence...what UBL was banking on.

When you fight a war to win...you kill the enemy...and you kill them whenever and however you can. The quicker you kill the enemy...the quicker the war is over...hence...compare WWII to our present day conflicts.

As to going to hell for what one did during the war...ALL...one has to do to keep from going to hell...is ASK for forgiveness...so...if those guys go to hell...it is their own falt...NOT... the falt of the US Military.

Again Rich... patriot

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37771 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graduated from High School in 75; Got a draft card in 74 I believe and was 1H but the war was over when I was off to college.
My father served in the Phillipines in WW II (Army infantry) for two tours, contracted Hepatitus and Malaria.
He never spoke much about it. He had a good friend that was awareded the Silver Star in Europe during the Battle of the Bulge, he never spoke of it.
About a year prior to his death, I began asking a few questions but not to pry to much. He said it was tough, a lot of bad stuff.
It was interesting that two things he mentioned. Small arms fire never was that effective. Artillery hitting trees was their main cause of casualities also, he always hated mashed potatoes and Monkeys. I found out why. Too many mashed potatoes and monkeys always gave away positions in the jungle.
He was a medic so I guess he had to deal with a lot of people near death.
I did have the opportunity to read quite a few of the letters he sent home during his tenure and he always spoke of getting back to the States but never mentioned the day to day issues of war.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Rich, but I have a story a lot like Peter's

I have a very good friend who has been to Afghanistan several times as a Green Beret Master seargent, and has acted as a sniper in multiple covert things that he won't go into specifics on.

I remember going to see him after his first tour to Afghanistan, and he was in a big way. We talked for literally hours about it, and he never once mentioned anything that he himself did

I saw him multiple times , but about a year later I was in his office, and in small unobtrusive frames on the wall, were a purple heart and a bronze star. I didn't know he was wounded, much less had an award for valor.

Bake

Posts: 112 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
!!!!!!Walter Alert!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I just say let the man who has been there...handle his feelings however he wishes.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
!!!!!!Walter Alert!!!!!!!

A funny comparison but one that demeans Walter Sobchek a little.

Rich if you are brave, if you have been tested and stood your ground, why do you continue to try to convince the WWW?

I just don't believe you. No I'm not going to investigate, no I'm not going to go look at some other website, my bullshit meter just rings at 100 decibles everytime I read anything you post. Maybe you have done everything you claim, maybe you really do believe all you remember is true. It is unfortunate that so much of your daily personal satisfaction is based on the acceptance of the world wide members of AR.

Have you considered fishing? There are still big ones out there to be caught. Real personal satisfaction for many is landing a really big one and stopping by the local tackle shop on their way home with the fish for show and tell. Just a thought.

Posts: 9435 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So how does one go from being a war hero to being an annoying twit? That's quite a tumble.

I'm just curious. No offense intended. popcorn

: : :

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rich if you are brave, if you have been tested and stood your ground, why do you continue to try to convince the WWW?

I just don't believe you. No I'm not going to investigate, no I'm not going to go look at some other website, my bullshit meter just rings at 100 decibles everytime I read anything you post. Maybe you have done everything you claim, maybe you really do believe all you remember is true. It is unfortunate that so much of your daily personal satisfaction is based on the acceptance of the world wide members of AR.

tu2

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
So how does one go from being a war hero to being an annoying twit? That's quite a tumble.

I'm just curious. No offense intended. popcorn

: : :

+1

Pretty simple really - some people just have an unhealthy need for the attention and approval of others. See the iterations of the fancy cars boasts, inane twitter, etc. Not to mention THE most annoying "signature" block, ever.

Best way to deal with it is to pay no attention. JDB Ignore List - Pop. 1

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never claimed to be a hero of any sort, although I did rescue a kitten from a storm drain once.

I went and served my country, and I was awfully good at my job.
If you all applied the same standards to my posts of service in the war, which I greatly enjoyed; it's why I stayed more than two years: then nobody here could post hunt reports. Hunting game, even dangerous game; pales in comparison to hunting men. It just makes a lot of people uncomfortable to be faced with the fact that they sleep soundly in their own beds at night, because people like me, and the soldiers today stood/stand ready to die for them. Not all of us keep our stories to ourselves, some of us are f--king proud of our service. You should come to one of our VFW meeting some Monday night.

It's easy for you to stand back, in the anonymity of the forum and talk trash. I'd just challenge you all to post your service records like I have. Oh, didn't serve? Hmmmmmmmmm, what's up with that? Y'all only carp at me and say "bragging", etc or question me because you can't find a single miserable event in your entire life to match up to what I did. Combat service is the ultimate challenge in life, to be willing to place your life on the line in service to your country. I did go and fought the war for you. Find some response for that.

Rich
G/Co 75th INf Abn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got anything in your resume to compare to mine?

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
No need to defend yourself regarding your service...

Shooting a stupid buffalo is a joke compared to combat...if you've done that it speaks for itself.

Don't respond any further.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I commend you for your time served, I really do, but get over yourself already. You weren't the only one there, others were and lost their lives, thats more than you did.

"Combat service is the ultimate challenge in life"
My best friends boy battled cancer every day for 3 years before finally losing his life. I hardly think your time in the military compares.
Time for you to quit cyber-jerking yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rich: I want to see a pic of your jag!

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
In '69 I was at the University of Texas taking graduate classes in anthropology under the first of my four student deferments. Mostly I was smoking grass and banging the coeds. I had my Eureka moment at a young age, I knew enough not to join up with the baby killers and get my head permanently f___'ed up. It can be a slippery slope and before you know it forty years has flown by and you're nothing but a sad and pathetic internet clown.

I'll bet my "tour of duty' in Austin and LA was much more fun and interesting than yours but you did have better weed.

UT BA Anthropology '68
UT MA Anthropology '70
USC Flim School MSc '72

Sorry you never learned to work the system.

Here I am (far left) "on long range patrol" in Huntington Beach, summer of '69.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, I think you just painted a huge target on your back with the "baby killer" remark.
That was totally out of line!

EZ
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
In '69 I was at the University of Texas taking graduate classes in anthropology under the first of my four student deferments. Mostly I was smoking grass and banging the coeds. I had my Eureka moment at a young age, I knew enough not to join up with the baby killers and get my head permanently f___'ed up. It can be a slippery slope and before you know it forty years has flown by and you're nothing but a sad and pathetic internet clown.

I'll bet my "tour of duty' in Austin and LA was much more fun and interesting than yours but you did have better weed.

UT BA Anthropology '68
UT MA Anthropology '70
USC Flim School MSc '72

Sorry you never learned to work the system.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry I did not die for you. If I had only known that surviving more than two years there was such a paltry thing...

My sympathies to your friend and his family. He did not go looking for it.

I was good and lucky enough that nobody ever got me. I am proud all to hell and gone that I did make it.

Looking an armed man in the face and coming out on top is the ultimate challenge. You kill him, or he kills you. Nothing else ever compares.

What have you experienced in your life that compares to that? I do not expect you to answer this. I already know. Nothing.
That's the attraction of MS videos. You get a little thrill without the danger.
I'm way past the vicarious side of life.

regards,

Rich
Warrior in the ultimate connotation

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking an armed man in the face and coming out on top is the ultimate challenge

Since I'm a newbie here and you've probably told the masses here many times before, how many did you kill? Any of them not looking at you when you pulled the trigger? Just curious whether they died on your terms or theirs.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 09 August 2010 22:03 Hide Post

quote:
Looking an armed man in the face and coming out on top is the ultimate challenge

Since I'm a newbie here and you've probably told the masses here many times before, how many did you kill? Any of them not looking at you when you pulled the trigger? Just curious whether they died on your terms or theirs.

Haysoo Kreesto...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iss,
Electris shock therapy,
Ace,
Romp n stomp,
Frontal lobatomy,

Relaxers listed in order of effectivness, pick one or four.
You will not find what you seek, professionals dont brag.
Gunner

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did three tours of duty there, and only one enemy soldier ever got a bullet in me. He died a few minutes later.

patriot

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote