New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 Mauser
 Login/Join

<333-OKH>
posted
LE270: I would put faith in the blow up test if they had specified that the chamber dimensions were exactly the same. Weatherbys have long throats, did the mauser? It isn't apples to apples unless all the dimensions match. Course we will never know. As to blow up tests in general, I have always endeavored not to blow up my guns as they never work right after a successful test. I find that a fully functional gun is the most satisfying kind.

------------------
If Elmer didn't say it, it probably ain't true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norbert, I remember reading about blow up tests several years ago. As I remember they were done by Julian Hatcher and/or P O Ackley. If memory serves me the Jap 7.7 action was the strongest tested. He didn't blow it up. All others failed eventually. These tests were done after WWII.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
<333-OKH>
posted
It's Ackley, volume two, chapter one. Hatcher has a chapter on strength but concentrates on Springfields, Enfields, Krags. Ackley could not get the Japanese recievers to fail even when the barrel blew out of the receiver. Ugly as a mud fence but plenty good for strong.

------------------
If Elmer didn't say it, it probably ain't true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I get 2520 FPS with 58grs of RL-15 with a 286 gr. bullet....2450 FPS with a 300 gr. swift and just a tad under 2400 with the 320 Woodleigh according to my chronograph...

Dear Ray,

would you mind sharing the pressure data with us, which these reloads gave in CIP or SAAMI measurement barrels ?

Many thanks,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
All the mauser actions, up to their disolvement were made to exactly the same manufacturing standard with exacting attention to detaille in manufacture. the only exception being the rifles built from 44 to 45 where machining marks were not polished off.

If we speak of Mauser Oberndorf, this statement is most definitely wrong, and glaringly so. I suggest to take recourse to the existing literature (Law, Wacker, Graf), which will rapidly disabuse one of this comfortingly simple but erroneous notion.

quote:
The reasoning that these were chambered in moderate pressure producing calibers is not, and should not be a reason to believe that they cannot handle pressure.

You have not understood about different steels and methods of hardening. I am sorry to state this.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
To All:
I personally think the 9.3X62 is one of the truly great calibers of the worls, probably more so outside the USA where it is not as well known and perhaps a bit lage in some folks opinion. Unfortunately, I don't own one at present. I do enjoy reading posts such as this one where we share inputs and ideas. I also have a copy of an article about the old 9.3X62, written by the late Finn Aagard and if anyone had an opinion I would value, it would be Finn Aagard, right along up there with Elmer Keith. Would be glad to share a copy of the article with anyone desiring if you would email me your address.
"Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot!"
Regards,

------------------
'Trapper'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carcano,
I have volumes of tried powders and bullet combonations that I tested for accuracy and chronographed...It all boils down to two...

58 to 59 grs. of RL-15 with 286,300 gr. bullets, 210 Fed primers..2700 plus FPS

56 to 57 grs. of RL-15 with 320 gr. Woodleighs. 2350 FPS

60 grs. of H414 with 250 gr. bullets for about 2800 plus FPS.

All velocities are taken at 10 Ft. with a 26" Lothar Walther barrel...

Start low and work up as these are max in my barrel and they run about 100 FPS or more over book max, but the 26" seems to be the reason and perhaps walthers are fast barrel, they are very smooth and seem to be ...My 22" 9.3x62 loses about 100 FPS or so over the above max loads so it seems to all come together..

I have noticed the 9.3x62 caliber dotes on long barrels more so than most calibers. Strangly enough the 9.3x64 does not seem to posses this quality..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote