Find
Notify
Tools

Leopards, no sense of smell ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted
I have talked to several PH:s and people that have hunted spots alot and it seems to be alot different views about leopards and smell ?!

Some PH:s claim that you can take a piss on the leopard bait and the cat wont bother, (actually seen pictures of that and the cat taken some days later from the same bait) some people/ph:s smoke in blinds 30 meters away - no problem...

And other would say this is a BIG NO NO.

Next question is for leopard hunters that have taken a cat with the help of dogs.
If a cat is bayed, do/did you calculate how the wind was blowing ? Ive seen some movies and all hunters seem to just take the shortest route to where the cat is ?

Thanks

AD

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
James Corbett, who grew up in the forest and brush of 1890-1940 India, and who hunted many man-eaters, was of the opinion that leopards could not smell much at all. However, smoking a cigarette involves light and motion, and frequently sound, all of which a leopard would pick up on even if he couldn't smell.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they can't smell, why do dragging?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They smell....they just don't care. Food is foremost. But make any tiny little sound that isn't in their normal enviorment....bye bye spots.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cats have an incredible sense of smell, period!! How in the world do you think they find the baits, most of their prey, etc, etc. Things that affect them or don't, are simply each individual cat's own personality and likely, prior experience.

I have no doubt you could piss on or near some baits, and a leopard would still feed. But, certainly all of them are not going to do so, thus I simply wouldn't take the chance. Obviously the cat can smell human scent at the bait site. Human scent is always on the bait, guys are climbing in the tree, etc. So for any cat to feed, he always has some tolerance of human scent.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

I have no doubt you could piss on or near some baits, and a leopard would still feed. But, certainly all of them are not going to do so, thus I simply wouldn't take the chance. QUOTE]

I agree with you Aaron.

Did you take caution to the wind direction on your doghunt ?

@Larry

On your leopard hunts through the years, did you do alot of dragging ? I have never done that if I remember correct.

Thanks

AD

One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Leopards have a great sense of smell and I wouldn't make a habit out of pissing near the bait site.

Tobacco, however, is almost never a problem with any beast -- burning tobacco is a natural smell that only seems to bother those with leftist political ideology, an affliction seldom suffered by the Leopard.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the dogs are keeping the cat busy enough wind does not seem to be a problem in a bay up. I always approach down wind anyways and quietly.
As some cats tend to spook at the sight of a human. But what do I know as cougar may be different.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Cats smell up to 4x better than dogs. They just dont care about certain smells, one of the reason that I let my staff only work with the bait is they are more used to their smell, and not our more "washed" smell. I do not believe that a human's piss is any different smelling than most other animals, so urine I do not see as a problem. If it can smell the tabacco in the blind, it can smell you, so check the wind for that anyways. Its pretty hard to smell a cigarrette downwind from more than 30 yards by ANYTHING.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
With dog hunts, the direction of the wind was necver a problem, because when the cat realises that the dogs are after him, they are pretty close, and no leopard will outrun a fit dog over anything longer than 30m.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the dogs often nip the rear ends of cats to bay faster? Bear dogs nip as to make the bear tree faster. Seems like a leopard would decimate a pack within a season.

A good pack of bear dogs have taken a beating by the end of the season. Someone good with stitching material and anti-septics is a must.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:
Cats smell up to 4x better than dogs. They just dont care about certain smells, one of the reason that I let my staff only work with the bait is they are more used to their smell, and not our more "washed" smell. I do not believe that a human's piss is any different smelling than most other animals, so urine I do not see as a problem. If it can smell the tabacco in the blind, it can smell you, so check the wind for that anyways. Its pretty hard to smell a cigarrette downwind from more than 30 yards by ANYTHING.

Spot On Karl!

Wind is definitely the critical factor and once he's on the branch tends to be rather wary until he's satisfied that all is well before he settles down to his feast - during this prelude he is busy scanning his surroundings from his vantage point and will catch the slightest of movement within a blind - be sure therefore that no daylight filters through the back of the blind as this will further reduce detection.

The smoking and piss issues are BS as far as I'm concerned (I have proved it wrong more times than I can remember) - Impala, Warthog, the ass-end of a zebra, etc. do not grow on trees and the Leopard, for the thief that he is, knows it.

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do the dogs often nip the rear ends of cats to bay faster? Bear dogs nip as to make the bear tree faster. Seems like a leopard would decimate a pack within a season.

rhromm, yes, they do. Most leopards we have shot with hounds had some bite marks on their tails. They very seldom really maul the dogs, mostly just slapping them a bit. So normally serious injuries to the dogs are rare, if you ahev good dogs.
Most leopards tend to not want to fight the dogs, if they do, they get injured, and that will also mean death, so they try and avoid a fight. The bigger toms also just continue walking, and bays much more difficult, and are more likely to charge.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

I have no doubt you could piss on or near some baits, and a leopard would still feed. But, certainly all of them are not going to do so, thus I simply wouldn't take the chance. QUOTE]

I agree with you Aaron.

Did you take caution to the wind direction of your doghunt ?

@Larry

On your leopard hunts through the years, did you do alot of dragging ? I have never done that if I remember correct.

Thanks

AD

AD - I think our boy hillbilly said it best. Often the cats is more concerned with the dogs than anything, but if possible I would still certainly try to approach down-wind, quietly and out of sight if possible. Why take the chance if you can help it.

As for dragging, ya most of the time, but not 100% of the time. Again, just depends on the situation, and the PH.

Most importantly as mentioned by Karl. If you are blind hunting, the cat must not know you're there. Wind direction, sight, sound, all must be good, or he will never show himself. Often times, I prefer, and have always seen and killed the biggest leopards on the ground, not in a tree. Even in places with lots of lions. I know that sounds crazy, but honestly, it has been my experience with the biggest cats I have been a part of. Of course, some of that could be the locations, the cat, etc. But JMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I've also been surprised by the nonchalant urinating at or near the blind, but it has not been a problem so far.

I think noise or movement are more detrimental than scent when you are hunting from a blind.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cats smell up to 4x better than dogs.

No disrespect inteded sir...but I don't believe that is a true statement.

Unless...you are comparing maybe a pekingese to a leopard. I do believe cats have a keen sense of smell...just NOT as good as the "large-nosed dog" breeds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not believe that a human's piss is any different smelling than most other animals, so urine I do not see as a problem.

This statement however may very well be true!!! A few studies have shown that white-tail deer bucks are actually attracted to human urine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
My brother has successfully hunted over 100 male leopards with his clients in a hunting career spanning 23 years. He has also taken a few himself. I was his appy on a number of occasions years ago. He has always been adamant regarding smoking and/or pissing anywhere near the blind - it doesn't happen. But that's him, other guys do not stress about it too much....

David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Helgaard van der Vyver
posted Hide Post
Do not be fooled, their smell is exceptional.

My experience with bait leopards are that they know that humans are baiting them, they just get used to your smelly shoes, your diesel Land Cruiser with an oil leak, your client pissing behind a bush etc etc, because you do not disturb them when they feed.
However if it comes in to feed and it all of a sudden walks into your cigarette and old spice smell from your new build blind, he will cough once or even not and then you do not have to wonder why it is not returning to your bait anymore.

Posts: 42 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree they can smell both meat and man at bait sites and meat wins most of the time. I once saw a leopard lounging under the bait early one morning under very quiet conditions where I am sure I, we would have heard even the slightest moan or growl from the lion that was coming in from up wind. The leopard jumped to his feet, faced that direction, lifted his head , sniffed and departed . Two minutes later up strolls up Shumba. That leopard smelled the inbound lion..no question in my mind.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AD

Am sure they can smell pretty well but probably rely more on their hearing and sight. I believe the less scent and human interference with the bait the better. Why would anyone risk peeing next to the bait or smoking in the blind! Anyway you wont face those issues with the dogs. Cheers,

Arjun

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Anyway you won't face those issues with the dogs." One out of two for sure. I have seen dogs peeing but have never seen one that smoked. Big Grin

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
AD

Am sure they can smell pretty well but probably rely more on their hearing and sight. I believe the less scent and human interference with the bait the better. Why would anyone risk peeing next to the bait or smoking in the blind! Anyway you wont face those issues with the dogs. Cheers,

Arjun

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
"Anyway you won't face those issues with the dogs." One out of two for sure. I have seen dogs peeing but have never seen one that smoked. Big Grin

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

jumping