THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Expected Announcement From U.S. FWS Will Close Elephant Imports From Zimbabwe, Tanzan
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expected Announcement From U.S. FWS Will Close Elephant Imports From Zimbabwe, Tanzan
 Login/Join

posted
Washington, D.C. – Statement By Safari Club International President Craig Kauffman

“Safari Club International’s advocacy team is alerting the international conservation community that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is expected to soon announce a new policy to reject all elephant ivory imports from Zimbabwe and Tanzania. It is unknown precisely when the decision by the U.S. FWS will occur, but SCI will do everything in its power to fight this reckless decision that has no basis in law, science, or conservation policy.

“International hunters are the first line of defense for conservation, management, and anti-poaching throughout Africa. When wildlife has no value, it will most certainly be slaughtered indiscriminately. In 2003 trophy hunting generated $12 billion Zimbabwe dollars and accounted for approximately 60-90% of all revenues for that country's Department of National Parks and Wildlife Management. SCI’s members have purchased bull elephant tags to benefit the CAMPFIRE Foundation in Zimbabwe who conduct anti-poaching work throughout the communal lands of their country. SCI’s members have paid more than $100,000 to support elephant conservation from 2012-2014, whereas the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has spent only $56,000 to protect Zimbabwe’s elephants from 2011-2013 through the Multinational Species Conservation Grants.

“Safari Club does not know all the details of the upcoming announcement by U.S. FWS to halt importations of elephant ivory from these two countries, but we do know the announcement could come soon. SCI’s Washington team will do everything within our power to fight back against this misguided and baseless policy.”

Posts: 15 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 24 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Interesting and scary thought
F!#.,*ing crazy idea.
I guess we will see...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just went to AR to post it but you beat me to it.

Wow.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a fine how-do-you-do.

I leave in a week for a bull hunt in Zim. Anybody know more about this?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
This is just a catastrophe.

I certainly hope all you gents who have your tusks in process get them.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNe...2BC-DAE08807810E3C6B

Press Release
Service Suspends Import of Elephant Trophies from Tanzania and Zimbabwe
April 4, 2014

Contacts:
Gavin Shire
703-346-9123
gavin_shire@fws.gov

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service today announced a suspension on imports of sport-hunted African elephant trophies taken in Tanzania and Zimbabwe during calendar year 2014. Questionable management practices, a lack of effective law enforcement and weak governance have resulted in uncontrolled poaching and catastrophic population declines of African elephants in Tanzania. In Zimbabwe, available data, though limited, indicate a significant decline in the elephant population. Anecdotal evidence, such as the widely publicized poisoning last year of 300 elephants in Hwange National Park, suggests that Zimbabwe’s elephants are also under siege.

Given the current situation on the ground in both Tanzania and Zimbabwe, the Service is unable to make positive findings required under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and the Endangered Species Act to allow import of elephant trophies from these countries. Additional killing of elephants in these countries, even if legal, is not sustainable and is not currently supporting conservation efforts that contribute towards the recovery of the species.

The decision to suspend the import of sport-hunted trophies from Tanzania and Zimbabwe applies to elephants taken in 2014. The Service will reevaluate this suspension for calendar year 2015 or upon receipt of new information that demonstrates an improved situation for elephants in these countries.

Legal, well-regulated sport hunting, as part of a sound management program, can benefit the conservation of listed species by providing incentives to local communities to conserve the species and by putting much-needed revenue back into conservation. At this time, the Service does not have conservation concerns with African elephant sport hunting in Namibia, South Africa, or Botswana; though it should be noted that Botswana is not currently open to sport hunting.

For more information, please visit www.fws.gov/international/perm...hunted-trophies.html.

The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants, and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a leader and trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for our scientific excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated professionals, and commitment to public service. For more information on our work and the people who make it happen, visit www.fws.gov.

For more information on our work and the people who make it happen, visit http://www.fws.gov/. Connect with our Facebook page, follow our tweets, watch our YouTube Channel and download photos from our Flickr page.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Home Page | Department of the Interior | USA.gov | About the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service | Accessibility | Privacy | Notices | Disclaimer | FOIA

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
And I thought that we were the only ones in shit?

Those toothless females will now be in much demand.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Well, that's a fine how-do-you-do.

I leave in a week for a bull hunt in Zim. Anybody know more about this?

Looks like it is now in place. Looks like you are screwed. What a f&^K job.

It is getting harder and harder to get excited about Africa. My next two hunts are certainly not there.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thing I have my tuskless already booked! I have some skins (no ivory) from a Management hunt in 2013 yet to be imported, but I guess it isn't affected?!

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The decision to suspend the import of sport-hunted trophies from Tanzania and Zimbabwe applies to elephants taken in 2014. The Service will reevaluate this suspension for calendar year 2015 or upon receipt of new information that demonstrates an improved situation for elephants in these countries.

So who's working in this?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I hate to agree with USF&W, but they are right. Poaching is out of control. Elephant numbers have plummeted. After reading it, I agree with them on the findings. Elephant numbers are falling in these two countries.

Importation is based on findings of sustainable take. The numbers are not stable. The population is in serious trouble in both these countries.

They actually did their job in this case and paid attention to a serious crisis.

I don't agree with their decision. It's a ridiculous, knee-jerk reaction to a very serious problem!

They do not take into account hunters are the ones saving the Elephant, funding the conservation, and anti-poaching.

It's a sad day because does anyone really think that the poaching will stop or slow down now? Anyone really believe that they will reverse he decision in '15 or later?

Me either.

I have told people recently that we have 3-5 years left to hunt Elephant. I didn't know that it was 3-5 months.

I never see this turning around in my lifetime. It's a very sad day indeed.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This sucks.I am sure Canada will find an excuse to follow suite.I wonder if the billionaire fellow with the foundation had anything to do with this?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably required by the chinese who are bankrolling the poaching as well as our worthless dead beat government.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I just read this to my 18yr old son. He looked at me and said "why? this will only make the problem worse".

Sad....

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I speculated this was going to happen a couple months ago. As the African elephant counts come in from varying areas, as was done in the Selous, things may just get worse.

RSA and Namibia are going to be the only show in town for US hunters………. assuming the US bureaucrats don't find a reason to close those holes. Assuming this does not get nipped in the butt, hunts for exportable trophies from those countries could bring a big dollar in the future.

I hope this gets overturned but after watching the three ring circus/dog and pony show with the USFWS over polar bear trophies from Canada, I wouldn't hold my breath.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's the way this administration makes all decisions. If we say it will help, then it must be correct because we said it. Facts, logic and rationality, be damned.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is just too much. Whatever happens, it looks like my immediate plans will change. I'm almost ashamed worrying about my plans, knowing what this means to the operators and their workers, much less the elephant.
I just love the way they drop a pronouncement, with no opportunity for discussion.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
This sucks.I am sure Canada will find an excuse to follow suite.I wonder if the billionaire fellow with the foundation had anything to do with this?

Not necessarily George. I believe you will see our government stick with the decisions that come out of CITES. There has not been a history of following the bone headed decisions of the USFWS in the past.

Remember…….. we can import cheetahs and elephant trophies from countries that CITES has assigned a quota, but our friends in the south cannot due to the superior knowledge possessed by the USFWS.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:
Good thing I have my tuskless already booked!...

I think they count skins as trophies as well, so don't think you will be able to bring that back either.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
This is just too much. Whatever happens, it looks like my immediate plans will change. I'm almost ashamed worrying about my plans, knowing what this means to the operators and their workers, much less the elephant.
I just love the way they drop a pronouncement, with no opportunity for discussion.

No need to feel ashamed; I would be pissed. I have always hunted Tanz and to a lesser extent Namibia out of fear the US would impose sanctions on Mugabe. How ironic this happens.

Just glad I don't feel like it is "Africa or bust." There is plenty of good hunting outside of Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

I don't think Canada will, we never banned Mozambique ivory.

This sounds like a dirty belated April fools joke.

".....even if legal, is not sustainable and is not currently supporting conservation efforts that contribute towards the recovery of the species".

Absolute ignorance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will prompt Botswana to get back in the game...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10445 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Man, for someone who is still dreaming of going to Africa in a future things just keep looking worse

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long before the Zim gov raises buffalo trophy fees to $10K? I assume total number of elephant hunts will go down and the gov will look to generate the lost revenue from somewhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow. this will change things dramatically. This really sucks. Maybe that house in Spain will come in handy.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
I hate to agree with USF&W, but they are right. Poaching is out of control. Elephant numbers have plummeted. After reading it, I agree with them on the findings. Elephant numbers are falling in these two countries.

Importation is based on findings of sustainable take. The numbers are not stable. The population is in serious trouble in both these countries.

They actually did their job in this case and paid attention to a serious crisis.

I don't agree with their decision. It's a ridiculous, knee-jerk reaction to a very serious problem!

They do not take into account hunters are the ones saving the Elephant, funding the conservation, and anti-poaching.

It's a sad day because does anyone really think that the poaching will stop or slow down now? Anyone really believe that they will reverse he decision in '15 or later?

Me either.

I have told people recently that we have 3-5 years left to hunt Elephant. I didn't know that it was 3-5 months.

I never see this turning around in my lifetime. It's a very sad day indeed.

+1

It has been pretty clear on this website that there has been hunting and hunts offered in national parks in Zim.

Also members have tired to list "good guys - local Zim operators" from bad guys.

USFW knows there is a problem and its pretty clear that there is a problem.

They just took a blunt approach and restricted everything from Zim instead of trying to sort the good guys from the bad guys like people have tried to do here.

Sad state of events leading to the ban but expected. I don't think it gets turned anytime soon.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see their point with regards to Tanzania..Don't know about Zimbabwe..thought they had a much better handle on the situation.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can lay the blame directly on the current Administration in our Country and the Libtards who whine constantly about these things. Until America wakes up this is only the tip of the iceberg of things to come. The Dems and our current President will not stop until "ALL THINGS" we hold true and dear are gone.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
wow. this will change things dramatically. This really sucks. Maybe that house in Spain will come in handy.

Actually, that is a very good point. I will have to look at EU regulations for imports. I was planning to spend 6 month/year at my place on the Med. coast starting in 2017 anyway.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:
Good thing I have my tuskless already booked!...

I think they count skins as trophies as well, so don't think you will be able to bring that back either.

***Yep, he's screwed too because the edict says elephants, not ivory. That means anything taken over there in those two countries will not be allowed from now on. Bummer all the way around and not much you can do but go and take pictures to bring them home or cancel the hunt.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Situations like this are one reason I tell folks that if you want to go to Africa and hunt, don't wait, go now. So many folks end up postponing with excuses like when I retire, when the kids get out of school, when this and when that. There are just too many variables like health and other issues such as this that can intervene.

The tragedy of this announcement is that elephant herds will suffer more as a result of this policy not less. And while I am sure that many at USW&F understand that, the decision has everything to do with politics and nothing to do with sound conservation policy.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what are you guys that have hunts booked for this year going to do? I have two booked in Zim with my son for Bull Ele with deposits paid and airfare booked. Like most everyone else this hit me by surprise so I have not had a chance to think through what we might do.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Cash will always be king.

And sadly, these days, cash, fueling endemic corruption, is pouring into Africa from China.

And poached ivory and rhino horn are pouring back into Asia.

Until that changes, if ever, elephant and rhino are doomed.

There is absolutely bloody NOTHING that USF&WS can do about it, either.

Taking this kind of action is like blaming the fireman for the fire.

Stupid.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I leave a week from tomorrow, and I haven't sorted it out yet. Yes, it's about the experience, but an "exportable" elephant means you are paying for the additional privilege of bringing home a trophy. I also have a tuskless booked, but I have an eighteen day hunt booked, with daily rates based on both animals.
I just have to let people in Zim wake up and check their morning emails. It won't be a good day over there, for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Came to post this and found a long thread. I've got a bull in Tanz now and a permit in the works. Guess I know why it's taking so long now.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore: I have some skins (no ivory) from a Management hunt in 2013 yet to be imported, but I guess it isn't affected?!

Per the Q&A Website: http://www.fws.gov/internation...-hunted-trophies.pdf
quote:
I hunted an elephant in Tanzania/Zimbabwe prior to 2014, but have not yet imported the trophy. Will I be able to do so?

Yes. The decision to suspend the import of sport-hunted trophies from Tanzania and Zimbabwe applies only to elephants taken in calendar year 2014. If you plan to import an African elephant sport-hunted trophy from either of these countries, you will need to provide documentation that the elephant was taken prior to 2014.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Came to post this and found a long thread. I've got a bull in Tanz now and a permit in the works. Guess I know why it's taking so long now.

When did you kill yours mate?

The decision to suspend the import of sport-hunted trophies from Tanzania and Zimbabwe applies to elephants taken in 2014

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please someone say this is another April fools joke -
I leave in a Month for my (finally) bull elephant in Zim
This fucking blows
It sucks when a bunch of politicians who don't even know what they are talking about make a split second decision slashing hunters rights.
I can understand a decision being made like this - with reasonable notice and reason and a plan to repair the problem, not a drop everything right now decision
If I wasn't so pissed I would be a bit more articulate
I'm with Mike, this is all about Politicking-nothing more

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know who to write, call, email or in any other way bitch and moan about this snap decision and maybe file a lawsuit let me know

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What percentage of hunters in
zim and Tanz are from the US? Does this cheapen hunts for the rest of the worlds hunters?

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote