New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR meeting in Dallas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put me down for two. My "date" is a hunting buddy who has never been to Africa but is teetering on going with me to Zim next year.

Ya'll help me push him over the edge, ok?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in for both nights. Arriving Friday morning and staying 'till Sunday. Wanna make sure I see everythingSmiler Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Should we all bring cash for the dinner so we don't have to worry about breaking up the checks (which can be a real pain in the ba!!s with large parties)?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy HuntingSafaris, Batman! Lotsa folks decided to join our little dinner party! To date:

Friday Night at Javier's:
1 PostDriver
1 CChunter
2 577NitroExpress
2 Dulcinea
1 Dougaboy
2 Retreever
4 N E 450 No 2
2 Lhook7 (please confirm asap)
2 Rich Elliot
1 Rusty
2 Mighty Joe
1 CFA
2 30ott6
2 SBT
1 Hog Killer
1 MacD37
2 George S
3 Mike B
2 GAHunter
1 VFR1

That's 32 at this point and I expect to hear from a few more soon.

577NitroExpress has a great idea. Please plan on bringing cash to this thing. You'll need money for dinner (plan ~$25 or so, plus tip) and for drinks (plan ~$6-7 ea.). Having cash there will expedite matters considerably. I'm sure we can all tell tales...

There will be no big hurry getting to the restaurant. Count on 7:30ish for cocktails and an 8 o'clock seating for dinner. I spoke with Javier last week. His largest private room holds 25, so we've outgrown that already. He said the other alternative is to split up into tables of 6 and all sit together in the same dining room (his restaurant is split up into several dining rooms in an old house). If y'all would rather, I'll see if we can book two private rooms instead.

Several of us, I'm sure, will plan on staying awhile after dinner for another drink or two and optional cigar in the cigar bar. Charles was right, though, the cigar bar is just that, and it's kinda smokey, although they do have smoke handling equipment. It's a great place with dark wood, comfy seating, etc., and its own bar. Feel free to bring your own smokes if you wish, or you can pick one up there at their humidor (pricey, but pretty dang good selection). If any of you are true cigar conniosseurs, drop me a PM and we'll see what I can find in my private humis to bring along.

We'll work out some mass transit from the Marriott Suites to dinner, with the same vehicles handling immediate return after dinner. For those who wish to stay, we'll work that out with the other folks with cars to deliver you wherever.

I can only imagine the lies that will be told ...

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PostDriver:

Thanks for handling ALL of the logistics of this get together.

What you propose sounds GREAT! You can count on my father and I sticking around after dinner for a smoke in the cigar bar.

Should we have a suspense date for RSVPs? This way we will let the restaurant know in advance (a week or two beforehand) how many are attending? Just an idea...

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll speak with Javier in the next day or two to see what he wants to do about seating, and I'll get back with y'all. I really would like to be able to leave this open until a few days before the dinner, but might not be able to based on his requirements, transportation, etc.

An update on cut-off will follow. At this point, keep those RSVP's coming in !

BTW, does anyone have a .jpg or .bmp of the AR Logo? I might be able to talk someone into doing name tags for the dinner with our AR handle and first name on them. Volunteers???

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Postdriver,

One more for Javier's on Friday.

Dakota 45056

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PostDriver:
BTW! Does anyone have a .jpg or .bmp of the AR Logo? I might be able to talk someone into doing name tags for the dinner with our AR handle and first name on them. Volunteers???

I have

send me an email and I reply with the logo, also the name tags I can make them, just send me a list!

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cchunter:

YOU DA MAN!

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Add one more to retreever's amount

3 instead of 2 ...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what time is the meet?

1 for jeffe, 90% likely

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39557 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Latest update on Friday's dinner at Javier's:

1 PostDriver
1 CChunter
2 577NitroExpress
2 Dulcinea
1 Dougaboy
3 Retreever
4 N E 450 No 2
2 Lhook7 (please confirm asap)
2 Rich Elliot
1 Rusty
2 Mighty Joe
1 CFA
2 30ott6
2 SBT
1 Hog Killer
1 MacD37
2 George S
3 Mike B
2 GAHunter
1 VFR1
1 Dakota45056
1 Jeffeosso

That's 38 total to this point !

Christer, thanks for stepping up for the name tags. I'll get you an email today.

Jeffe, the dinner is scheduled for 8pm, but we'll be leaving en masse from the Marriott Suites about 7:00, allowing time for cocktails, visiting, etc., before dinner. For those who can't/don't want to meet at the Marriott, just show up at Javier's sometime between 7:30-8:00.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Add bobc for Friday nite

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First Javier's, then Dallas Safari, then....who knows where this will all end, but AR rules!!! Hope to meet at least some of you during the days there...Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where are we going to go Saturday Night??? homer

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Where are we going to go Saturday Night??? homer

YOUR place. jumping

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer
I am staying at the Hotel. I do not think I have a stove.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30ott6:
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have rented a room at the Marriott Market Suites Center for our second annual birthday and meeting bash.

The room is called The Board Room and is available for us to use from 5pm to 8pm on January 28th.

The room is small but is bigger than Judge's was last year. Bring what you would like to drink. Retreever, don't forget the meat!! Frank, bring a camera and Tony, bring a story.

There will not be a refrig so if one or two guys from Dallas could bring coolers, that would be great.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. I think we will have close to twice as many folks as last year!

John

John, I will bring some homemade Eland Summer Sausage. Just got through smoking it on the pit.

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer,

Where did you get the eland meat that you used to make the sausage? Is there a domestic source. I was unable to take an eland during my safari last year, but I hear that eland meat is as good as it gets. I didn't think that you could bring game meat back. Needless to say, I am looking forward to meeeting you next month.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Ok... I'm gonna come up for Friday and Saturday also.. count me in for 1... maybe 2, I'll post when I know for sure on #2

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dougaboy:
Hog Killer,

Where did you get the eland meat that you used to make the sausage? Is there a domestic source. I was unable to take an eland during my safari last year, but I hear that eland meat is as good as it gets.

I'm thinking someone shot it at Camp Cooley.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put me down for the Friday evening gathering, Frank Beller

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, AND my wife = 2.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Confirm me for one. The other is a maybe, he may have to be in Florida for a meeting.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Eland meat and Amarula, near perfection!!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Update as of today:

1 PostDriver
1 CChunter
2 577NitroExpress
2 Dulcinea
1 Dougaboy
3 Retreever
4 N E 450 No 2
1 Lhook7
2 Rich Elliot
1 Rusty
2 Mighty Joe
1 CFA
2 30ott6
2 SBT
1 Hog Killer
1 MacD37
2 George S
3 Mike B
2 GAHunter
1 VFR1
1 Dakota45056
1 Jeffeosso
1 Bobc
1 470CapstickA2
1 Frank Beller

That's 40 even up!

ArthurOlds ... are you coming to this dinner? I don't have you down yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be working for the Security Committee Thursday thru Sun. Not sure of my schedule yet but will look forward to meeting all of you that I can at the various booths, maybe the Friday nite dinner and Sat. nite get together. Mike

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife will be with me ...... that's 41. FRANK BELLER

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We will not make the dinner...I'll be with relatives in the evening...and it is our 36th anniver. so what I want to do is out....Arthur

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do want to meet you all and will do my best on Friday in the day and on Saturday...I hang out at Ray's etc.....sorry to miss the trip to Javier's...Arthur

one of us
posted Hide Post
This topic has lain around a few days, so maybe everyone's shown up who's going to show up! As of today:

1 PostDriver
1 CChunter
2 577NitroExpress
2 Dulcinea
1 Dougaboy
3 Retreever
4 N E 450 No 2
1 Lhook7
2 Rich Elliot
1 Rusty
2 Mighty Joe
1 CFA
2 30ott6
2 SBT
1 Hog Killer
1 MacD37
2 George S
3 Mike B
2 GAHunter
1 VFR1
1 Dakota45056
1 Jeffeosso
1 Bobc
1 470CapstickA2
2 Frank Beller

That totals 41 folks. I'll get in touch with Javier today and tell him what we've got. If there is any problem with the number of people I'll get back with y'all asap.

I'm going to cut the reservations off this Friday, Jan. 6. However, please, if you'd like to attend, post or PM me your interest. I'm sure there will be a few cancellations, and Javier might give me a few more spaces anyway.

I'll post the details of pickup/delivery as soon as that's ironed out.

Also, if you're confirmed above and need to cancel, please let me know asap; there might be a few people waiting to get on the list.

By the way, are there any companies or individuals here on AR that would like to donate a couple of appropriate door prizes to our little get-together??? Nothing extravagant, just a momemto or two. Please PM me if you can help.

This should be a lot of fun; a low-pressure place to meet other AR'ers and have a great meal in the process!

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Postdriver- Just wanted to extend my thanks to you for doing what you are doing!!

Let's hear it for Postdriver!! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Postdriver:

Thanks for all of the hard work and logistics you are doing for all of us.

Just a thought to help ease the evenings festivities, does Javiers offer a buffet type spread that we could order for the group? (I.e., like five main courses and a number of sides?)

Just a thought - it might be easier logistically for the group?

Thoughts?

577NitroExpress

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Postdriver,

As an educator I would give you an A+..
All kidding aside, job well done and looking forward to meeting you..

Mike cheers beer

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's just hope that the DSC Silent Auction goes as well Smiler . But then, with a great buncha guys like y'all, there's no contest!

I'll ask Javier about the buffet thingie, but I've never seen him set one up. Doesn't mean he can't, of course, but let's leave that part up to him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Postdriver:

Please add two more people to the list. Butch Searcy and his daughter, Myndee, will be attending with us.

Sending you a PM too.

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your PM received and duly noted. It will be good to have Butch and his daughter in our midst.

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

The actual name of our meeting room for the 28th is the Austin Room. We have use of the room from 5pm to 8pm.

John

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30ott6:
UPDATE:

The actual name of our meeting room for the 28th is the Austin Room. We have use of the room from 5pm to 8pm.

John

For Saturday at the Marriot, right?

Hog Killer

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Hogkiller- yes that is correct. It is the Marriot Suites Market Center.

John