Find
Notify
Tools

AR meeting in Dallas
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have rented a room at the Marriott Market Suites Center for our second annual birthday and meeting bash.

The room is called The Board Room and is available for us to use from 5pm to 8pm on January 28th.

The room is small but is bigger than Judge's was last year. Bring what you would like to drink. Retreever, don't forget the meat!! Frank, bring a camera and Tony, bring a story.

There will not be a refrig so if one or two guys from Dallas could bring coolers, that would be great.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. I think we will have close to twice as many folks as last year!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John
Sounds great.
I think you are correct, there has been much intrest in the DRSS get together.
A good time will be had by all.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
John,
Thanks for getting the room. I look forward to seeing old friends again!
Can I help defray some of the expense?
rkmojo@aol.com

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Count me in, I can provide camera for documentation Cool

thanks for setting it up!

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Is this the JudgeG/Ray party or a different event???????? There are many I would like to meet and a few that I would prefer to be no where near.........

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me in!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to my first Dallas meeting.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Please... let's not get personal about this time for fellowship and btw, wont this 'un be the fourth year?

The party has nothing to do with any kind of name calling, but it's about the amazing spirit of Safari. Competing PH's, gruntled and disgruntled hunters, polite trolls, grumpy old men and clever fabricators will all be welcome. Even me, with all those and other faults, too, I hope?

Everyone who acts as a gentleman will be pleasantly toasted and not roasted. As in the past, if anyone wants to chip in for expenses may do so at the party. Again, I'll tote any freight left over, if required. If you want to chip in, we'll put a glass or something on a table and you, if you wish, can put a buck or two in it. Out town folks, if you can't bring some hooch, I'll have something that you will like that's better than a "bar brand". Let me know of any special request. I'll have light and regular beer, Scotch, bourbon, gin, vodka ... what else? Cokes... tonic.. let me know by P.M.

No one will be accusing anyone of anything or defending past events, especially if I have anything to do with it. In other words, we'd love to have everyone, but if you can't be pleasant, don't come... but how about taking a deep breath and come on by, regardless of any post(s) you may have made.

Maybe we ought to think of it like Christmas on the Western Front in WWI when both Germans and Brits had a drink together and sang Silent Night.

After the party, if anyone wants to "have at it" on the forum or wherever, let that be... but for this one evening, let's have a place we, and our loved ones, can talk about Africa and raise a glass or two.

For goodness sake, don't anyone think that 30ott06, or anyone else, is somehow in a cabal with me or any other person (or even particularly likes me or my opinions). We've just had a blast in the past and some of us just want to see all of you who will be in Dallas and enjoy an evening with each other. It worked before and can work again if we act as our mothers raised us. Let's try it!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'm in. This event is far greater than any personal vendettas, it is an AR party, and all are welcome.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I'll be there, SBT I'm with you. I hope we can move on or at least set some things aside for a few days at least.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
There is about a 80% chance I will be able to make it. I am really hoping to get the chance to meet you all and hear some great safari stories.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Well, the kielbosi is ordered and the horshradish.. thumb

Oh, I forgot the cheese and the orange bread also...

All I have to say is here, here and a good time for all.. beer animal

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Good going Bill now know one is going to show up. Just to let you all know to bring Bill's favorite food Krispy Kreme donuts and MT Dew he prefers Diet. He gets cranky if he doesn't get his fix!

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
Good going Bill now know one is going to show up. Just to let you all know to bring Bill's favorite food Krispy Kreme donuts and MT Dew he prefers Diet. He gets cranky if he doesn't get his fix!

John

I felt I had to give them fair warning. And for your information I like the glazed Krispy Kremes.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanahile:
Is this the JudgeG/Ray party or a different event???????? There are many I would like to meet and a few that I would prefer to be no where near.........

So what if it is a Ray/JudgeG party? Meet and greet the ones you want, skip over the ones you don't. You may make some friends (then again, you may make a few enemies), more than likely after the booze flows freely and food is consumed no one will give a shit anyway.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
bring Bill's favorite food Krispy Kreme donuts and MT Dew he prefers Diet.
John

What a combo, sugar dreanched donuts and a diet soda. bewildered

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Hey, that is just how Bill rolls man! I stopped trying to figure him out when he would go to a deli and order a philly cheese steak sandwich and fried rice.

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wife and I will be there to add a little Southern Hospitality to the party, i.e. George Dickel. See y'all there.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I ama newbie on AR, I would like to meet other TEXANS/people who are much more experienced than me regarding African hunting so we can swap lies and maybe tell the truth on occasion. I do not know now if we can be there on either Sat. or Sun. Let me know if there are AR people whomwould like to meet and consume 1 or 2 adult beverages. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
Just look for people wearing their AR hats.
If you are looking for me check at Champlins or Ray Atkinsons booth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be there along with a couple of buddies.

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bummer!

I'm flying in on Thursday evening and flying out on Saturday. I'll be at the show until about 2:00 that day, but I'll miss the party!

Maybe I can catch up to some of you AR members on the flore of the convention.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is anything still going on Friday night?

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I will be arriving on Friday about noon. This will be her first such experience. I hope we are still married after this. I look forward to seeing everyone that I met last year, and look forward to meeting some new friends. If I happen to be on anyone's list of those they don't like, I'll be nice if they are. JudgeG, I put a check in the mail for $2.00 this morning, to help with expenses. Use it wisely.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Cchunter asked me yesterday if I did not want to come along to Dallas. I can't make it and it is a bit long trip for a hunting convention when not in the business, but I sure as hell would have like to go to meet you all!

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
My wife and I will be there and will be happy to share in the costs.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
quote:
No one will be accusing anyone of anything or defending past events, especially if I have anything to do with it.

Interesting......I wonder why??? Think I shall pass....

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Without trying to get into a big tinkling contest, I certainly don't mean that I think any conversation about anything at Dallas Safari Club should be restrained for any reason. I fully expect folks to ask me questions about sundry stuff and will (with no animosity, I hope) try my best to answer them to whomevers satisfaction. I wouldn't be going if I were afraid of some questions.

But as to the party (and the party, only) ... Let's limit it to lighter stuff, that's all I'm asking.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER
Have no fear we get together Friday AND Saturday night. Big Grin thumb

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
This is a gathering of goodwill not ill will. If you are coming with the latter, stay home.

John

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
But as to the party (and the party, only) ... Let's limit it to lighter stuff, that's all I'm asking.

Judge

I hope that it is not the beer that should be light ??? Smiler

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Yes I was there for the first time last year, and weclomed with open arms and handshakes...friends, husbands, wives, and outdoorsman..
I met AR friends for the first time and am going back for a second year...with my wife this time (so I'll have to behave this year!)
thumb beer

Cordially,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Folks, my wife and I have flight and hotel rooms booked and ready to go and we would dearly love to meet most of you, but I have to be honest here. I am a firm believer in the "you can't unring a bell" philosophy and some here well, I don't want to wind up in jail or the hospital so I haven't decided. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know guys, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this. I personally think that the AR African Hunting forums have been ruined by the whole mess over what was done or not done and by who. I am looking forward to seeing my friends Ray and Pierr'e, but like Jorge I see potential trouble brewing, especially after a few sundowners kick in. I've been a cop too long I guess. I think I'll avoid the usual AR gatherings, and my spouse and I will do our own thing. We are going to Dallas to enjoy ourselves, and not get in the middle of a pissing match. I had a great time with the AR crowd last year, but it appears that the old crowd just ain't the same anymore. Damned shame too.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Jorge- We will expect you to arrive with bells on!
You and your wife will have a great time!

John

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Dale- It wouldn't be the same without you. I have the pictures of you from last year to prove it! Please reconsider. I don't think what you are predicting will occur. Besides, your $2.00 is non -refundable!

John

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
My father and I are flying in on Friday morning and departing Sunday morning. I wuld love to see some hunting buddies from the DRSS and put some faces to the names I've met online.

Judge, you have a PM coming from me.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No matter what. I am going to hear the lion and buff story. We will be there, the missus and I.

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I ain't scared of no ghosts!!! So I'll be there with bells ringing! beer thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ain't scared of no ghosts!!! So I'll be there with bells ringing!

All the AR folks I met last year and the year before are gentlemen and I surely don't anticipate anything less. My bride and I are looking forward to the reunion.

Is the Board Room for Fri & Sat or just Sat?

Doing the limo and dinner each night?

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote