Notify
Tools

Zebra question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Fairly straight forward.

Considering a hunt for a Burchells zebra in the near future and a future hunt for a mountain zebra, what do you do with the Burchells zebra?

I've heard others say to shoulder mount the Burchells and rug the mountain zebra because of the prominent dewlap.

What have you done or intend on doing?

Question:
Do you rug it or shoulder mount it?

Choices:
Rug
Shoulder mount
Something else

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a rug, the Mtn zebra (no shadow stripes) is very striking

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Something else.

Shag it?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9953 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
yuck

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graybird,

I have both rugs and shoulder mounts of zebra. The shoulder mount will best show the prominent dewlap on the Hartemann's. A rug is very nice and quite big but it does not show off the dewlap. The Burchell's looks great regardless of how you mount it. Remember when you are having them mounted that the Hartemann's has a little different shaped head than the Burchell as well as differnt striping, very different feet plus the dewlap.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Rugs all around.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have both rugs and shoulder mounts of zebra. The shoulder mount will best show the prominent dewlap on the Hartemann's. A rug is very nice and quite big but it does not show off the dewlap. The Burchell's looks great regardless of how you mount it. Remember when you are having them mounted that the Hartemann's has a little different shaped head than the Burchell as well as differnt striping, very different feet plus the dewlap.

Mark hit the nail on the head IMO, +2!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Photos and shoot five for the price of taxidermy.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.animalartistry.com/pb/af_sm/21_af_sm.php

Graybird,

I had him done as a pedestal by Animal Artistry (that is mine in the link). Good luck with your hunt.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both a pedestal mount made of a Burchells stallion & on another a rug.
Had a Hartmans mare, very old & barren, made into a rug.
My favorite is the Burchells on the pedestal.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like a zebra shoulder mount but if its your first I feel every trophy room needs a zebra rug.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I would do both as pedestal mounts.

I have a Hartmann's done in a pedestal and like it very much. If we shoot two Boheme Zebra for leopard bait in 2014 I will rug one and do the other in the mirror image pedestal mount of the Hartmann's. I think they would look good in opposite corners of a room.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I did rugs..they just make a trophy room

Here is my burchells

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I think they are both amazing so I shot two Burchell's. One for a pedestal shoulder mount and the other for the rug.

I will do the same thing when I go to Namibia, one for a shoulder mount and the other for a rug. I think it would be great to have both to compare.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
Pedestal mount. You can then move it to fit into the decor of your room.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post

Thanks to Brian and Dakota Taxidermy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't do either - i just tan them and toss them on the floor - looks great. Why spend the money to put a felt lining on it?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. It is expensive.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the felt lining, it's a dust magnet. If you're going to rug it them go with the leather bound trim or none at all. It will lay much better if you back it and leather trim by an "expert".

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing looks better than a pedestal mount looking like a chess piece

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Zebras were made to be rugs. Their furred hides are incredibly durable. And if and when they ever wear out (and none of mine are even close after many years of daily use), you can just shoot another one. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpet backed, leather trimmed, they make great rugs. You can only use so many though. I've got friends who don't hunt in Africa, who want me to bring home hides so they can have a rug made. I'll probably do it if I need a zebra for bait.

If I shot an old stallion with a lot of scars, I might consider a pedestal.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I have shot 4 Burchells and would gladly take a couple more if given the chance.

I want to hunt a Mtn so bad I can taste it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the guys who say start with a rug and take it from there.

I do quite like the shoulder mounts, but I am moving away from them generally anyway.

If you shoot plenty zebra you can also do some furniture, ottomans etc.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Pedestal of each so you can see the differences between the two up close. On the next hunt you can look at rugs.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a Burchells last August and will have a pedestal mount made from it. Going back this July for the rug.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I did a pedestal mount of my mountain zebra and rug out of the burchells. The pedestal is one of my most stunning mounts and the dewlap adds character. Hunters and non-hunters alike are astounded by that one mount. I'm not sure why some say don't do a shoulder mount because of the dewlap.

As for the rug, It's a simple pressed flatskin done in Namibia at a fraction of the cost here in the states. It does not have a felt back and it does not hang on the wall. It lies in the foyer of my house and gets walked on multiple times a day and shows no wear other than a spot on the mane where my basenji chewed on it one time before he learned his lesson. Hell, I wish it would wear out so I would have an excuse to go shoot another one.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Just shoot two and you can have both dancing

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just shoot two and you can have both

I'm with Jerry on this one.
Besides, zebra hunting is downright fun!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only a relatively few people (speaking of the general population) find shoulder mounts attractive. But I've found that even dyed-in-the-wool anti-hunters appreciate the exotic beauty of a zebra rug and tend to be circumspect in their criticism. You're doing this to please yourself, so you may not care what visitors to your home think, but a zebra rug is much more versatile, and attractive to more eyes. As well as MUCH less expensive.

The tannery in Namibia (don't know their name because our guide took care of arrangements) did a splended job on our Hartmanns rugs. They lay flat without backing and cost a pittance to tan and ship compared to a shoulder mount.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
Just shoot two and you can have both dancing

I was wondering when this comment was going to rise to the surface! tu2

Thanks everyone for your comments and pictures. Always interesting to listen to others ideas/thoughts.

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have done two as rugs, one with felt backing and one without. My wife and I agree (for once!), that the plain, natural tanned skin is far nicer. The felt-backed one kind of looks like it was poured out of a bucket onto the floor and just lays there. It has no "life".

Hugh

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
My daughters grumbled when I put a kudu shoulder mount in the stairwell leading up to their bedrooms. But when my mountain zebra rug got delivered they argued over who got to put it in their room.

Rugs are appreciated, even by queasy young girls. Besides, how many of us still have any space left on their walls?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I have a rug from a Hartmann's and really wish I had a shoulder mount to go along with it. Their facial strips and orange-colored snout are amazing.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please allow me a little side track on this thread!

What is the expected life (years) of a zebra rug (unlined) used in a trophy room/man cave (room used daily by the hunter, not in a high traffic area, with an occasional beer spill)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 9 years on a Burchell's rug that gets daily traffic on it by kids, grandkids, and dogs. Still looks good and no deterioration. If it gets too ratty, I'll shoot another. Smiler

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
To me, a zebra rug just screams Africa. And July 2014 will find me shooting the makings.

And there is no room for many wall or pedestal mounts in our little hovel as much as I admire those.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Flat skin. That's a rug without any backing, edging or other frills - head on. Mine is of my Hartmann's Mountain Zebra from Namibia in 2000. It drapes over a bannister, rather than resting on the floor. No wear and looks good. It may end up on the floor someday.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of my Mt as a rug, only leather trim no backing and if you go with a falt skin have them take the legs as long as they can without the hoofs. I also have a Burchells as a pedistal drinking from a pond it is the nicest I have seen. My other Mt is the chess piece mount type, he was an old battered stallion and looks cool with all the scars on the one side and the other is clear of any scaring. This tells me he was right dominate with his right side scared from many fights.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Something else.

Shag it?

Not much happening in the summer heat, hhuummnn!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote