THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Top 10 safari/hunting books you wish were on audiobook

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top 10 safari/hunting books you wish were on audiobook
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
Mostly thinking Africa/safari..but any GOOD ones I’d also like to hear about.

Thanks.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I read a lot of books, but I have never been able to listen to audio books!

I download books to my iPad and read them there.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68589 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I better like the Real Books.
E Books I never tryed

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
How did I know I’d ask for a steak house and be referred to a pizza joint?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bodington: Where Lions Roar is/was available on audio book.

There is an audio book on the Zulu-Anglo War called Day of the Dead Moon. It is more of a college professor lecture series.

Both were available from Safari Press.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

^^^ This. I was ecstatic when Kindle came out. I used to carry 10 lbs of books for long international trips.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I think, with a skilled narrator, that some of the classic hunting and African Hunting books would be great as audiobooks. Imagine James Earl Jones narrating Death in the Long Grass. Also, some of Ruark’s classics like Horn of the Hunter, The Old Man & The Boy, or Something of Value.

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
Last winter, I listened to White Hunters: The Golden Age of African Safaris by Brian Herne and thought it was excellent as an audio book.

Regarding physical books/ ebooks / audio books - they all have their place. My opinion, for what it's worth:

• Audio books are great when you're driving, particularly for novels or narrative history. Though I don't do much driving and recently when I have been driving, I've been listening to podcasts instead of audio books.
  • Electronic books are great when traveling - my iPad weighs about the same as one book, and I can I have a whole library on it. Also, many of the classic African hunting books are available for free in PDF form from Google books or archive.org. However, for books where you want to flip back and forth, I'd rather have them in paper form.
  • Paper books are the most pleasant to read, and still hard to beat for convenience if you don't have to lug them around. Also, my collection of about 5000 books takes up a lot of space!

Posts: 713 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Yes, the narrator can make or break a book - but even that’s personal. A great voice doesn’t always fit the material, especially if the narrators voice is well known or the writers voice is well known - it’s tricky.

White Hunters is a GREAT audiobook. Here’s a little secret: the narrator is listed as Robert Whitfield. In point of fact, it’s is not Robert Whitfield but the very popular Simon Vance. Whitfield is a nom de plume he often uses. He would be my choice for certain books.

I’ve had conversations regarding Death in the Long Grass. For various reasons I do not know if it will come to fruition - only time will tell.

Keep your favorites coming!

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I listen to a lot of Books on DVD while traveling.

I have probably over 100 that I have listen to in the past few years, many different authors.

I have Boddington book, Wilber Smith in African theme.

If you put in a search you will find various African books on DVD to listen to. And some are a free down load.

This year, I Listened to one book driving to Dallas for the convention in January and another one while driving home. In late January I listened to one driving to Flagstaff and we finished it driving home. Another one book while driving to Phoenix and second one driving home. Usually I will do a dozen or more books while driving to various point around the country in a year. So I try to find books that are different length so that I can do one or more books each way.

That is something I enjoy while traveling. Find your self a great author and the trip goes better.

At home I like the hard copy and enjoy reading a few different authors.

Saeed, you may want to check out Mark Sullivan special he has on his two books. I am thinking you could get a signed copy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I would think that one of Ruark's books, like Horn of the Hunter or Use Enough Gun, would make a good audio book. Seems like good prose would make for good audio.

Mike

Posts: 21643 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed, you may want to check out Mark Sullivan special he has on his two books. I am thinking you could get a signed copy.

archer popcorn popcorn popcorn Saeed?

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I remember the first time I had ever seen Boddington on video and heard his voice, I was shocked that his voice did not sound like what I thought I had imagined after so many years of reading his books and articles.

It was a long time ago when Weatherby made the Affordable Africa videos.

Since then I don't mind his voice on TV and his audio books. I wish his book was a little less edited.

The Finn Aagaard audio book is excellent.

I remember hear something from Berit about how this came to be. Interesting story.

He was a master story teller.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by WDM Bell is another wonderful audio book.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have never listened to an audio book. But the idea is not a bad one, I think.

Saeed, does it make sense to somehow, maybe in a sticky or separate forum, let folks post along the lines about which BaxterB is enquiring?

I might listen on my frequent long drives. When this pestilence passes and I can take long drives again.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Moneypenny
posted Hide Post
i certainly recommend Brian Herne White Hunters on audio. A good listen.

Ive been recommended the following books on audio but haven' got round to them yet.

Never Cry Wolf, Farley Mowat

American Serengeti, Dan Flores

The Hounds of Heaven, Stephen J. Bodio

American Buffalo, Steven Rinella

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the finest, most well written book on African hunting of all time. The Accurate Reloading Africa Book. I would like each chapter read by the author with an in to by Saeed and Walter.
I often listen to audio books while carving or tying flies. Ive listened to a lot of Wilbur Smith. A couple of Hemmingway's are on audio, they are even more dark that when you read them. Big Two Hearted River would be the exception.
I'd like to listen to Ruark, Horn of the Hunter and Uhuru. Capstick' s earlier books would be good. Taylor and Bell would be on my list. Of newer guys, Boddington would make my list. Corbett's Maneatets and Johnson's I Married Adventure would be a good listen, as well.
Some books just wouldn't listen well, The Perfect Shot, Safari Rifles, and Shooting the British Double come to mind.

Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moneypenny:
i certainly recommend Brian Herne White Hunters on audio. A good listen.

Ive been recommended the following books on audio but haven' got round to them yet.

Never Cry Wolf, Farley Mowat

American Serengeti, Dan Flores

The Hounds of Heaven, Stephen J. Bodio

American Buffalo, Steven Rinella

Be sure you get the American Buffalo version that Steve reads himself - the earlier version is unlistenable.

Any books NOT on audio you think would make a good one??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian Herne's White Hunters is fantastic on audiobook. It's also available on Youtube.
Our family loves audiobooks on road trips, especially during our annual 28 hour trek to Dallas.
Horn of the Hunter would be handy to have on Audiobook. I haven't seen it available.

Posts: 589 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Interesting that my book cases already have all of the top books mentioned and I have read them at least once.

I even have a signed copy of "Fear no Death" by the popular and revered M Sullivan. After the first couple of chapters, it was actually good reading.
Actually having some books for reference makes good sense; these include books like the Double Rifle Primer by Cal Pappas, Pet Loads by Ken Waters, and the Complete Guide to Hand Loading by Sharpe (plus many more).

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting. I’m all in with audiobooks (and podcasts). I give audible a chunk of change monthly.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zebrazapper:
quote:

Interesting. I’m all in with audiobooks (and podcasts). I give audible a chunk of change monthly.

I read a ton of books and listen to as many. I find that many books I am able to listen to at 1.25x to 1.5x speed without it sounding too bad and can digest a book pretty quickly. Same goes for podcasts.

__

One thing about audiobooks on YouTube is most are bootleg and no royalty is paid to the author/publisher even though the rights are still held. Books/audiobooks are not inexpensive endeavors.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never actually listened to one and don't think I'd be a fan. My wife likes them.

What I'd really like to get is a loop of African night sounds, the hyenas, bushbabies, lions, frogs, a leopard sawing, etc. It would help me sleep. Maybe leave out the lion kills I've heard or attempts and elephants screaming.

Posts: 10304 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:

^^^ This. I was ecstatic when Kindle came out. I used to carry 10 lbs of books for long international trips.

tu2

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am able to listen to at 1.25x to 1.5x speed without it sounding too bad and can digest a book pretty quickly. Same goes for podcasts.

I enjoy listening to books while I walk or exercise. 1.5 speed is great as well.

One of the problems with audio books is when a narrator does not know pronunciations of places and names. Today I started "We Dared to Win" by Hannes Wessels. The narrator completely butchered the pronunciation of the Matopo Hills.

I am looking forward to this thread to see what else may be available that I would be interested in. Good thread Baxter!

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One not to bother with: "Hunting with Hemingway" written by his niece and her husband. Mostly claptrap, attempting to capitalize on her uncle's fame. Ever seen a Mannlicher 505 Gibbs? Cannibal dogs? How about a charging Komodo Dragon?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
One not to bother with: "Hunting with Hemingway" written by his niece and her husband. Mostly claptrap, attempting to capitalize on her uncle's fame. Ever seen a Mannlicher 505 Gibbs? Cannibal dogs? How about a charging Komodo Dragon?

Yes, Hillary is the worst kind of hanger-on...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jock of the Bushveld is a must read in anyone's library, audio or not. As is Cry the Beloved Country.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I am glad that someone is still enjoying the AR Africa Book.

Hemingway's The Green Hills of Africa
Any of Lauren Van Der Post's stories
Any of Theodore Roosevelt's hunting books
Anything written by Roy Chapman Andrews

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3831 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few more greats that I would recommend
-Pondoro
-anything by Jim Corbett (Maneaters of Kumon)
-months of the sun

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Uhuru when I was a teenager ... don't know how it would read as an adult. I think Wilbur Smith's stuff reads better when you are young.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kambaku by Harry Manners

Posts: 402 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Audiobooks have been a salvation over the last few years--my commute to the office is 3:30 round trip on a good day--4 hours is at least a weekly occurrence. Of course not recently!

I really wish Roosevelt's African Game Trails was available on Audio. Several of his books are.

Herne's book was terrific.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 251 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SC-Sportsman
posted Hide Post
"The Old Man and the Boy" has been recorded as an audiobook twice. The latest version of it is available on Audible, and is fairly well done. The narrator uses too much of a monotone, and mispronounces some words ("menhaden", "Kure Beach", and a few others), but it's still nice to have this book on audio.

Posts: 100 | Location: Clover, SC | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SC-Sportsman:
"The Old Man and the Boy" has been recorded as an audiobook twice. The latest version of it is available on Audible, and is fairly well done. The narrator uses too much of a monotone, and mispronounces some words ("menhaden", "Kure Beach", and a few others), but it's still nice to have this book on audio.

This is one I’d love to re-do. I honestly do not like the 2017 version at all. And for a publisher to not verify the pronunciation of local words is a cardinal sin, in my book.

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Below is a FB page that has a good amount of information about Robert Ruark. University of North Carolina also has an informative page about him.

https://www.facebook.com/Rober...ark-118085341664037/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
Below is a FB page that has a good amount of information about Robert Ruark. University of North Carolina also has an informative page about him.

https://www.facebook.com/Rober...ark-118085341664037/

Ruark has led me to meet some very cool people. Ive spent about 60 hours going through his papers at UNC. Fun stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Story like the wind and a far off place - van derPost

Hunters Wanderings in Africa- Selous

Hemingway

Hold my hand I’m Dying - John Gordon Davis

Power of One and Tandia - Bryce Courtney

A Game Rangers Handbook

The Complete works Of Wilbur Smith

Anything by Capstick

Boddington’s Safari Rifles

Man of Bees.

Put all in a trunk and will happily survive any lock down.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd just actually like to hear Ginny say the words, "Buffalo again. Idiots!" Have heard it, or something very similar before, but I'd still like to hear it as opposed to read it.

For anyone whose wondering, it's from Horn of the Hunter.

Posts: 10304 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
African Game Trails by Teddy Roosevelt the best safari ever .
Osa Johnson and Martin Johnson's Africa books .
John Taylor's Pondoro
Elmer Keith Safari an awesome book
Sir Samuel Baker Wild Beast and their ways
Steward Edward White African camp fires
Any of the pre1930 safari books those were the real adventure days!

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote