Find
Notify
Tools

How tough was your hunting partner?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Couldn't resist asking this!

Although I'd love to hear about the ladies I figure we've been with a partner that had toughed it out beyond our expectations.

The ones that didn't will be another thread!

Best regards, D. Nelson

Just to start this off...my husband is legally, and for all purposes blind!! I've dragged him all over hunting.... he is one tough guy!! Trusting his wife to set him up for buffalo.

Just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary! How did that happen!!

I've had some horrible hunting partners but my husband wasn't one of them!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
My wife is the toughest by far. Her very first hunting trip EVER was a bull elephant hunt in the Caprivi. Before we left camp the first morning, Karl told her that if we got charged she wasn’t to run unless and until he said to, even if the trackers and game scout hauled ass. Three hours later we had a double charge from 2 cows. She never moved, even though the other guys did! We shouted them down at 10 yards. The appy got it all on video. Welcome to DG hunting....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
My wife is the toughest by far. Her very first hunting trip EVER was a bull elephant hunt in the Caprivi. Before we left camp the first morning, Karl told her that if we got charged she wasn’t to run unless and until he said to, even if the trackers and game scout hauled ass. Three hours later we had a double charge from 2 cows. She never moved, even though the other guys did! We shouted them down at 10 yards. The appy got it all on video. Welcome to DG hunting....

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Mrs. jdollar! I don't know if I would have done so well. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
This one...my soulmate...is tough as nails.

And fun to be with!

And a pretty fair pistol shot.

This one...my BFF...I’ll match for toughness against any other in his age group!

It’s a tough choice...so usually just take’em both.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Darin,

Congrats on your 50th.

You are a tough cookie in your own right!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
One year post Chemotherapy Joyce walked every mile in search of a Bull Elephant with me in the Zambezi Valley. She was told by Buzz she should stand still unless he said otherwise should a problem occur. When I shot my Bull the other one with it took off in her direction so she froze and it never picked up her presence.

If he reads any of these threads anymore I'll leave it up to Buzz to relate how close that Elephant passed by her.

In Zambia, when we faced off the Lion in the open at 20-30 yards she never budged.

Shot her Leopard at 17 yards.

She's either dumb or fearless. I'm banking on the later.

She's also not shy about packing meat out of Bear country in Alaska.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the 50th Darin!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
This one...my soulmate...is tough as nails.

Now and then she needs to be soft and tender...

Last year I visited Texas - I loved it and want to return asap. Stayed at Fredericksburg and visited places like Loyal Valley, Mason, Fort Parker and others. Now I can understand why countless Germans settled in Texas. If I were younger I would like to do the same. When in the States I feel at home.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, I hope you know how blessed your are! You and your "soul mate" are definitely raising your son right IMHO!

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Frostbit: tu2 tu2 tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
Lane, I hope you know how blessed your are! You and your "soul mate" are definitely raising your son right IMHO!

tu2 tu2 tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
One year post Chemotherapy Joyce walked every mile in search of a Bull Elephant with me in the Zambezi Valley. She was told by Buzz she should stand still unless he said otherwise should a problem occur. When I shot my Bull the other one with it took off in her direction so she froze and it never picked up her presence.

If he reads any of these threads anymore I'll leave it up to Buzz to relate how close that Elephant passed by her.

In Zambia, when we faced off the Lion in the open at 20-30 yards she never budged.

Jim;

You know Joyce and Bob's biggest and toughest accomplishments, are dealing with their wild and crazy spouses!!!

rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ms AZW is a lot tougher than me and probably any of you here. Some of the "vacations" that she invited me on that I took a pass:

Running 100 miles in five days in the Rockies (done this several times)
Running 100 miles in five days in the Himalayas all above 10,000 feet. (WTF??)
Climbing a 16+K peak in Alaska in April; never saw temps above -20
Mt Elbrus (18.5K) in Russia (not sure when she did that but it frostbit her fingers)

One I did go on, but regretted, was down the south rim of the Grand Canyon, up the north, overnight, then go back the next day. My feet were so blistered I had to take the shuttle (in my defense I was born with a club foot and my right ankle cannot bend in an acute angle, so my heel doesn't touch the ground on steep uphill slopes, causing my boot to rub).

Any hunting trip I bring her on is a piece of cake.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Ms AZW is a lot tougher than me and probably any of you here. Some of the "vacations" that she invited me on that I took a pass:

Mt Elbrus (18.5K) in Russia (not sure when she did that but it frostbit her fingers)

One I did go on, but regretted, was down the south rim of the Grand Canyon, up the north, overnight, then go back the next day. My feet were so blistered I had to take the shuttle (in my defense I was born with a club foot and my right ankle cannot bend in an acute angle, so my heel doesn't touch the ground on steep uphill slopes, causing my boot to rub).

OMG!!!! You have an amazing partner!!! She rocks!!! A tough partner for sure!!!

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Renae is one tough cookie
Never seen woman being able to sit in frozen tree stand with me for hours and not complain
You ought to see her riding dirt bike in Saint Anthony dunes
Boy, she gives me run for the money

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Renae is one tough cookie
Never seen woman being able to sit in frozen tree stand with me for hours and not complain

That is a measure of a great partner, the "not complaining" is the proof!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
quote:

Wow, I just found out her ascent of Elbrus was a winter climb. Holy crap...

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow, I just found out her ascent of Elbrus was a winter climb. Holy crap...

I bet the PHs and trackers can't keep up with her! She's got fantastic endurance!!!

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jim;

You know Joyce and Bob's biggest and toughest accomplishments, are dealing with their wild and crazy spouses!!!

rotflmo

Tru Dat

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife is a little 4'11" blonde who dosen't mind hunting by herself. Shes out at her place one day and calls me on the cell phone to tell me she has a poacher on the place ( I was a GW). I ask her where he is...she says right here sitting on the ground waiting for me. Oh Hell!! I fly over there and find a poacher awfully glad to see me. Seems wife slipped up ahead of him, stepped out and told him to drop the rifle and sit down, the GW was on the way....

Another time my brother is hunting my place and has two trespassers shoot the lock off my gate and drive in to where he is and start shooting bottles and such with an AK47. He calls my house and gets my wife...who heads over there with a girlfriend. She drives up to the two grown men and snatches the AK out of the guys hands. Brother reaches me about this time on the cell phone. I haul over there..brother and wife have the guys sitting on the ground waiting for me.

Lord help any poacher on her place. Not much worse than a mad short woman with a rifle....

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with some tough people (including ex-SF), but I find if I tenderize them with a mallet and cook them slow for 2 hours, they get pretty tender.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My toughest hunting partner ever....was my ex-girlfriend, Amy Martin Schaefer. Some might know her as Bryan Martin's sister, others might know her as the owner of "Pro Hunt Concierge"

In 2000 she was the captain of the USA women's, 8 woman Olympic rowing team!! 5' 10" and 185lbs at the time - all muscle. I was really into body-building back then, and taking her to the gym was sometimes not much fun! Wink

I took her elk hunting here in CO once....she shot a good bull roughly 4 miles from the truck one evening, so by 9pm we had it boned and ready to pack out. The 2 of us pack out an entire elk by ourselves in one trip! She easily had 130+ pounds in her pack - and she was the one that kept encouraging me to get up and keep going!! We made it to the truck at 2am. I complained....she never did!

I took her with me on a sheep hunt in the Yukon....her and my guide were always 200 - 300 yards ahead of me. One day as we were climbing a never ending mountain - the guide joked with me about what its like to have my girlfriend out walk me!Smiler On the spot I put up his soon to be tip of $1,500 as a bet. I told him if he can beat her to the top I'll double his tip, if she beats him, she gets his tip....honestly, he refused to take the bet. He knew she would win!!!

She is without question the single toughest woman I have ever seen in my life, both mentally and physically. A great hunter, and a fine person to boot!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jim;

rotflmo

Tru Dat

I hunted with and guided Joyce after her bout with cancer....I was seriously impressed! Not a nicer woman walks the planet, and tough too.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
My toughest hunting partner ever....was my ex-girlfriend, Amy Martin Schaefer. Some might know her as Bryan Martin's sister, others might know her as the owner of "Pro Hunt Concierge"

In 2000 she was the captain of the USA women's, 8 woman Olympic rowing team!! 5' 10" and 185lbs at the time - all muscle. I was really into body-building back then, and taking her to the gym was sometimes not much fun! Wink

I took her elk hunting here in CO once....she shot a good bull roughly 4 miles from the truck one evening, so by 9pm we had it boned and ready to pack out. The 2 of us pack out an entire elk by ourselves in one trip! She easily had 130+ pounds in her pack - and she was the one that kept encouraging me to get up and keep going!! We made it to the truck at 2am. I complained....she never did!

I took her with me on a sheep hunt in the Yukon....her and my guide were always 200 - 300 yards ahead of me. One day as we were climbing a never ending mountain - the guide joked with me about what its like to have my girlfriend out walk me!Smiler On the spot I put up his soon to be tip of $1,500 as a bet. I told him if he can beat her to the top I'll double his tip, if she beats him, she gets his tip....honestly, he refused to take the bet. He knew she would win!!!

She is without question the single toughest woman I have ever seen in my life, both mentally and physically. A great hunter, and a fine person to boot!!!

I don't personally know here, but I have been told by multiple people the same thing. She is legend in the hunting world for being bad ass.

A buddy of mine is a gunsmith in Australia, when we were living there his wife was a hunter and she is also an endurance athlete like Amy.

Both of them are Taekwondo blackbelts, he is a 5th Dan and is one of the highest grand masters in Australia. He told me he is afraid of her, because she doesn't ever quit.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:

Aaron: Do you know the definition of a "tough woman"?? She rolls her own tampons.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted a few times with a body builder and quite a bit with a serious bicyclist and runner. These guys were great partners and fantastic meat packers but I think for shear grit Sadie is as tough as anybody I've ever hunted with. We've hunted and fished together for 37 years and after we both got it how interested Sadie was in hunting and fishing we planned most every adventure for both of us. She's as game helping me break down a moose as to land at 6,500 feet in the Wrangells for a sheep hunt or sleep all night in a machan while lions walk under the tree we're in.

We've worked together in the field hunting and fishing long enough so that we both knew how to do everything making things much easier. The best part of this is that these adventures become OURS and not just mine that Sadie came along on. As MEA has come into its own she's readily stepped in as accountant and when necessary she can talk the talk with the clients as she has the T-shirt from being there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

I don't personally know here, but I have been told by multiple people the same thing. She is legend in the hunting world for being bad ass.

A buddy of mine is a gunsmith in Australia, when we were living there his wife was a hunter and she is also an endurance athlete like Amy.

Both of them are Taekwondo blackbelts, he is a 5th Dan and is one of the highest grand masters in Australia. He told me he is afraid of her, because she doesn't ever quit.

My friend, she's a woman amongst boys!!!

I kinda chuckle now when I see these "extreme huntress" competitions....those girls have NO IDEA!!Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
quote:

Aaron: Do you know the definition of a "tough woman"?? She rolls her own tampons.

Well, I don't know anything about that of course!

But one day we got home from shopping, this was while she was still considering the 2004 Olympic Games, only because the coach kept hounding her to come back. Well, we pulled into the driveway and here's some lady sitting in a vehicle parked at my house. I'm like - who the hell is this? Amy goes, I know exactly who it is - I'll handle it! "OK" I said!Smiler

Turns out she was with the IOC, and was there to randomly drug test Amy - in the event that she did return to the team. Its was awkward, as once they saw each other - the lady would NOT let Amy leave her sight, and Amy had to immediately go into the bathroom with the lady present - and give a urine sample right on the spot. That was a bit weird!! Who likes someone watching them go to the bathroom??

All I know is, I have never seen a person with such mental toughness....ever, guy or girl!!! She was my training partner for 2 yrs, and I am here to tell you - she could honestly make a lot of guys in the gym want to turn and go the other way. Throw a 60lb pack on her and you better lace up your boots, cause its gonna be a long day!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I hunted a few times with a body builder and a quite a bit with a serious bicyclist and runner. These guys were great partners and fantastic meat packers but I think for shear grit Sadie is as tough as anybody I've ever hunted with. We've hunted and fished together for 37 years and after we both got it how interested Sadie was in hunting and fishing we planned most every adventure for both of us. She's as game helping me break down a moose as to land at 6,500 feet in the Wrangells for a sheep hunt or sleep all night in a machan while lions walk under the tree we're in.

We've worked together in the field hunting and fishing long enough so that we both knew how to do everything making things much easier. The best part of this is that these adventures become OURS and not just mine that Sadie came along on. As MEA has come into its own she's readily stepped in as accountant and when necessary she can talk the talk with the clients as she has the T-shirt from being there.

Mark

Women never want to quit!!!! Men quit on me all the time!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

My friend, she's a woman amongst boys!!!

I kinda chuckle now when I see these "extreme huntress" competitions....those girls have NO IDEA!!Smiler

I wish they were active on here, my buddy is computer illiterate, and his wife is either training or working. He is a gunsmith, and she is a PHD pharmacist, I always joke and tell him he's a trophy husband. Though she is honestly one of the best looking women I personally know. Like I said he's a grand master ninja with Tae Kwon Do in Australia, and that's how they met.

Wife was due with our first child, and I backed out of a hunt they took two other blokes on in New Zealand for tahr. She dragged everyone up and down the mountain, and killed 4 tahr because no one else could get up the mountain. Finally the last couple days everyone else got one, but because she got tired of waiting for everyone and went out on her own. Toughest person I know that is not a special operations warrior.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jack steenson
posted Hide Post
In 2013 my wife unarmed faced a multiple elephant charge and was cool the hole time. The Cameraman, another "hunter" took off running and the killing of the charging elephant was lost to one hundered mile per hour grass. My wife should have had the camera!

Posts: 33 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 17 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Darin Nelson broke her leg on a Tanzanian safari and continued with the hunt.

She ain't my partner but a good example of tough.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe they don't want to be around you. Big Grin sofa

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Andrew;

A client and PH ARE partners. I used to be tough, but not so much anymore!!!
I certainly appreciate the ladies mentioned above for being a great example for others!!!
Being tough is more fun than whimpy!!

Best regards, Darin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

AND, her PH had been chewed by a leopard....
Walking wounded for sure.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
quote:

There were two females from the Canadian rowing team working for an outfitter in British Columbia that I was hunting at. Those two gals out worked (wrangled/cooked) all of us in camp. Both had just returned from participating in the 2016 Olympics and were in great shape. Plus they were fun and good cooks.

Posts: 402 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Maybe they don't want to be around you. Big Grin sofa

That's fine bro....I stick with the chicks! rotflmo

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Different type of hunting.

My mate Stash (Stanislaw) and I jumped in from a C-141. He broke his ankle on landing. Fortunately it was not displaced. I strap taped it till hell wouldn't have it. We patrolled for a week. I gave him morphine when it was time to sleep. When we returned to base, He consented to a cast, and crutches. I need to look him up.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ms AZW asked yesterday if I want to go with her for an endurance weekend this weekend. Starts with a wakeup at 4 am Saturday, drive 4 hours to the Grand Canyon, hike to the bottom, hike back up same day, drive to Flagstaff, overnight, then climb Mt. Humphreys (12,633 ft), come down, and drive back to PHX.

I told her I will be watching the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting webcast on Saturday and have to take a rain check.