Find
Notify
Tools

The Perfect First Time Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted
What is the perfect FIRST TIME SAFARI.I have been onAR for a couple of years now and there are some lucky sods that can go to Africa once or twice a year or every other year and hunt buff and Elephant etc.Im sure this intimidates the rest of us that dont have such resources.

So to the MAJORITY - The average man that has to save up for that once in a life time safari.I want to here from you FIRST timers. What is the perfect safari?? Practically.

1. No. of days
2. Animals to take etc
3. price range.

We can call it the AR FIRST TIMERS PACKAGE.
Smiler

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My perfect first time Safari was 2 weeks of bowhunting plains game in South Africa. I got Zebra, Kudu, Eland, Nyala, Impala, and Red Hartebeest. I never really planned for it to be a once in a lifetime thing but I have had to adjust my timeline for a follow up trip since getting married and starting a family. My wife likes to hunt as much as I do and she wants to shoot a Leopard. I am not sure when we will be able to go but I am sure there will be at least one trip in my future.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what you want. Do you only want to hear from people that have only done one safari or some one that has done more than one and looking back what they think would be a good first time safari, not a once in a life time safari.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
No such thing. First is first (and NOT last). Take a week, spend what you'd equate to "a nice car" and...

... get busy!

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I am not sure what you want. Do you only want to hear from people that have only done one safari or some one that has done more than one and looking back what they think would be a good first time safari, not a once in a life time safari.

+ 1 thats perfect.
I just think that a lot of people are intimidated by the heavy hitters that have the ULTIMATE Safaris. There are so many guys that want to go on the Budget Safari. Want to experience Africa shoot some animals, but cant do it on a grand scale.
So to the guys saving and planning for that Once in a life time trip, what are the suggestions for that perfectlow cost Safari, when there is a realistic Finacial cap on it.

Maybe we can arrange a AR hunt with all this info for some first timers. Wink

Dave Davenport
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JMO, Safari on a budget to me would be 7 or 10 days in RSA probably in the eastern cape (more selection) and say a half dozen animials. Impala, Zebra, Cape Kudu, Cape Bushbuck, Springbok and Eland. Most people want "big" but a Blue Duiker or Cape Grysbok would be great. The latter are super trophies not seen in many "small" trophy rooms. the big thing about the above is "Budget", this could be done for less than 10K with air and an observer. Don't know about taxidermy, i e European or American and shoulder vs full body. I guess you could call this a starting point for discussion. tu2

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Having been fortunate enough to go a few times...here is one thing missing from my first trip, and I think would make a huge difference for anyone's first trip. To me a great first or only trip for a tighter budget would be a 10 day PG hunt somewhere for a package of 5-6 animals including kudu, impala, warthog, and 2-3 others BUT in an area where they can encounter some dangerous game. It is a whole different world hunting anything when you may run into elephant, buff, or you may sit in camp at night and hear a lion roar. I think that would add a lot to a first or only hunt personally. I know this isn't the norm, but we are talking about "perfect". I also agree with DOG that $10k with air and observer would be excellent as far as price. One last thing...I think accommodations in an African feeling camp would add a lot as well. I just mean chalets or whatever with thatch roof or permanent tents instead of farm house type lodging. That just has more of a feel of being there.

I have been working on a 1st trip for my wife and twin sons with Charl for next year. I don't think we are going to be able to pull off the hunt around DG deal (but there are 4 of us, so I have to give up something). We are going to hunt close to Kruger, so we will take a couple days before hunting to go see the park and animals, hunt a few days, take a break for a day to go to another reserve, and hunt a few more days. I want to break it up as the boys will only be 12. Then they will come home, and I will go to Mozambique for a DG hunt. So maybe if folks can't hunt around DG, they may at least be able to be close enough to go for some viewing, although I don't consider park animals the same as "real" animals. Hope some of that makes sense...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
I've only been one time on safari (2009) although I have scheduled a return trip to Africa for this year. My first trip was to RSA for plains game. It was 7 days and I ended up taking 4 animals. Time was too short and the weather in the beginning of July was colder than I would have thought with bad winds on some days. Other than that, I thought RSA for plains game made the perfect first trip. Just wish I had booked 10 days instead.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm a one-timer (so far) and experienced the absolutely perfect first-time African hunt (if you go around calling it a "safari" most people will think you're talking about touring with a camera, which is the way the word has come to be used most commonly in Africa).

First, a hunt enjoyed by yourself alone is only half enjoyed. Go when you can go with a great hunting companion or companions, whether that is a spouse, father, son, or friend(s). Hunting 2 on 1 is always less expensive than being guided by yourself, so in addition to making your trip more enjoyable, having at least one hunting companion also makes it less expensive.

Second, there is plenty of adrenaline rush when hunting new species (and seeing abundant game) without those species being the allegedly "dangerous" type. Hunting plains game costs a fraction of what hunting any of the "big five" would cost. Also, don't obsess over "record book measurments". You'll be delighted with your first kudu, gemsbok, hartebeest, etc. so long as it is representative, and not necessarily the granddaddy of its species.

The less time you have to take away from your work the better, but there is no sense in rushing. If you can get in four to five days of good hunting you should have an opportunity at one to three kills per day, meaning that you could take from four to ten animals. That's A LOT for American or European hunters who most typically take one or two whitetails or a boar or fallow per year. Allowing a minimum of two of days of travel on each end, you need to allocate at least 10 days to your African trip. Having the flexibility to add a couple of days would be good, but time is money, so if your budget stretches only so far you'll have to economize on days.

Taxidermy and especially the shipping of taxidermy is outrageously expensive. However, returning from a great hunting trip "empty handed" is a bummer. I recommend having hides tanned in Africa, where the service is both good and inexpensive. Have the hides and dried skulls/horns shipped to you, and allocate plenty of money for this unavoidably expensive piece of your trip (at least you have a few months to recover financially before your trophies arrive.) Instead of looking for a place which probably doesn't exist in your home for a bunch of expensive mounted trophies, simply display them as European mounts. It takes less room and looks quintessentially "African".

Either South Africa or Namibia offers excellent first time (and second, third, forth, etc. time) hunting experiences that are reasonbly economical. Namibia has less red tape and costs may average a little bit less than S.A., but S.A. is a much larger, more diverse country. The most important thing is that you go with a hunting guide who has access to excellent and not over-hunted areas. You'll also want to check to see how large the hunting blocks you'll be hunting are and whether you'll have to travel from one hunting area to another for different species of game. We hunted a very large private "farm" (didn't find any hay balers or combines there Smiler) and had our choice of twice as many as the nine species that were taken among three hunters without leaving the 100,000 acres where we stayed. Also, do yourself a favor and enjoy the relative luxury of hot, running water and clean sheets -- forget the expense and presumed romance of a "tented safari" in "the bush". That's a fantasy that still exists only for the very well-heeled, and to a large extent it is nowadays a somewhat contrived way to hunt.

You can do a great plains game hunt on a budget of $10,000 per hunter, but remember, you can absolutely kill yourself with taxidermy and shipping costs if you don't excercise some restraint. If you don't actually want to have any part of your trophies shipped home (wife won't let them in the house, anyway), then you can save a couple of thousand off of that figure to apply toward your next "safari".

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Well, let's go with a real life example of my first African "safari" in RSA, which will also likely be my last.

In 2003, I booked a 10-day package hunt for the East Cape with John X Safaris. The cost was $4,995 ALL INCUSIVE for the daily rate, licenses, 1x1 PH and tracker, ground transportation, lodging, alcohol, food, laundry, trophy preparation (not dip/pack!). The staff, food and accommodations were all first rate.

John X supposedly has access to about 3,000,000 acres of private land. We hunted in at least five different locations, some of which were based at other lodges from one to 4 hours from the main John X lodge. None of the ranches were the put-&-take variety. Yes, most were fenced properties, but for the most part, the only time I actually saw the fences was going through the gates to enter or leave the ranches. Most of them were huge. The game species were populuous and included males (both trophy and non-trophy), females and young ones, i.e. naturally reproducing herds.

The package price included up to 5 or 6 critters, depending on the ones chosen from the basic list. My choices were kudu, gemsbok, impala, blesbok and springbok. I could have opted for two of the smaller deer like steenbok, reedbuck, duiker, etc. in place of either the sprinbok, impala or blesbok. I then added blue and black wildebeests, zebra, bushbuck, warthog and nyala. Total for the additional trophy fees: $5,000! The PH threw in a second springbok at no charge because I wanted a full hide for a rug. Even though John X advertises that each head will make the SCI books, I don't concern myself with record books like some. And I told that to my PH. Each animal I killed was a good representative trophy for the species, however.

So, right there you've got $10,000 at 2003 prices. Adding on airfare of about $2,200 for ONE person from AZ (probably higher now), tips for guide & staff, dip & pack, shipping of trophies to the U.S. and I was pushing $15,000 BEFORE any taxidermist touched the critters. Minus, the added $5,000 in trophy fees, $10K for the hunt and other expenses for the original five or six animals.

The taxidermy for my 12 animals, done by my guy here in the states, cost me over $7,000, though I stretched it out over 4 years. So that's about $22K for the hunt and associated expenses. I won't include the cost of adding on a 14'X35' room to display the the tropies. LOL

And yes, as far as the promises, etc., it was the "perfect safari." Other than my partner and I missing our plane connection from Jo'burg to Pt. Liz, there were no glitches. In fact, our airport PU folks waited for us to arrive on a later flight.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Tony is right on with total costs for the average plains game safari.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Given the great variety of terrain, species, lodging, etc. available its virtually impossible to define the ultimate first safari. The good news is that it is possible to define the ideal first safari for you. Decide what species and terrain that you prefer, what type of lodging fits you and how much time and expense you can afford, and then research only outfitters that can provide that experience. Voila: an ideal first safari.
Mine was a 10 day tented hunt in the Okavango Delta for Buffalo and plains game and it was magical., so much so that I returned 3 times. In your case it might be a ranch hunt in SA for some of the steenbuck, duiker and other tiny antelope with luxury accommodations in a Lodge with spa treatments available, or a desert hunt in Namibia for Kudu, Zebra and Gemsbuck. Maybe you want tuskless elephant with Chifuti that may end up on TV. All are options and all are fine choices, but not fine choices for everyone.
Verbalize your dream, define your limits and someone can provide it. Except for that Buffalo/plains game hunt in the Delta, it's closed. Still Zim is open and I will be there in May.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you seriously think your 1st African hunt will be a once in a life time hunt then you should include a cape buffalo in that hunt; many experienced hunters on this forum have indicated a cow cape buff hunt is just as exciting as a bull cape hunt (& supposedly cheaper.

Consider hunting representative (non trophy) plains game; the hunt can be just as challenging as trophy hunts.

As has been mentioned taxidermy is expensive. Invest in a good camera and take lots of quality photos.

I've found that less than 6 days of hunting is rushing things. Give yourself time to relax & acclimate yourself after two days of airports & jets.

MY LAST BIT OF ADVISE IS DON'T THINK FOR A MINUTE THAT YOU ARE GOING TO GO TO AFRICA HUNTING ONLY ONE TIME - IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
MY LAST BIT OF ADVISE IS DON'T THINK FOR A MINUTE THAT YOU ARE GOING TO GO TO AFRICA HUNTING ONLY ONE TIME - IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

Wanna bet??? Cool

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope to be going on a perfect first time safari in 2014. I have the hunt booked, so the hard part is out of the way. Its 14 days for sable and buffalo. Other than that, I hope to take what the day gives me.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a normal working guy but went fairly big on my first safari, hunting (and taking) leopard, sable, and sitatunga in Zambia. It was very expensive (for me, at least), and the taxidermy was expensive, too, but I've never regretted any of it. It was important to me to hunt in wild Africa, and I decided that I'd rather spend more to hunt premium animals, just in case I never went back. A hunting budget is a very personal thing, and it's important to be fully aware of all of the costs (airfare, taxidermy, tips, shipping, all of the stupid gear you think you have to have, etc.) before you head over, but once you are fully informed, it's worth stretching a bit to make sure the experience is everything you want it to be. People often end up spending more in the long run by going cheap in the first place. Either they ultimately decide that they want a bigger, more authentic experience than they had on their first plains game hunt in RSA or Namibia (even if that hunt was, as it typically is, wonderful), or they have to redo a cheap hunt a few times to get their desired quarry ($12,000 leopard hunts come to mind).

Tony makes an important point about taxidermy expenses. Any hunt can get significntly more expensive after you get home. Because of this, I think it's particularly important for first time hunters to include taxidermy in their budgets and to also consider European mounts for some of the trophies. At least for me, the experience was much more important than the trophies on the wall--even though I ended up with some very nice trophies.

To answer the specific questions posed by the original poster:

1) For days, I'd look at 12-14 as a sound minimum, just to make sure the hunt truly feels like a full escape.

2) For animals, I'd look to include at least one premium or semi-premium animal in its original, native habitat. That doesn't have to be dangerous game (for example, sable and sitatunga fill this role nicely, and a free range kudu could do the same on a smaller budget), but a buffalo seems a pretty perfect candidate for this spot. It's also nice to take a zebra for a rug and some other native plains game.

3) Price is a very personal thing, so I'll just say again that it's important to know all of the costs and then stretch a bit, but don't do anything that will end your marriage or keep your kids from going to college. If you don't care about taxidermy, you can probably have a wonderful hunt for well under $10K, inclusive of travel, tips, etc. From there, the sky is the limit.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
To me, the perfect first safari is in a wild part of Africa, in a tented or thatched chalet camp overlooking a river and would include buffalo, zebra and a few other plains game. Target cost would be $10,000 to include daily fees, trophy fees, trans to from airport or motel and dip/pack.

My first safari was with Bundu Safaris and fell within those parameters.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

The first timers have nothing to compare their "perfect safari" to. Unless they go again the safari that they thought was "perfect" may turn out to be average in comparison.

I think a better question would be "for those who have been to Africa more than once what do you think would be a perfect safari for the first timer?"

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
To me, the perfect first safari is in a wild part of Africa, in a tented or thatched chalet camp overlooking a river and would include buffalo, zebra and a few other plains game. Target cost would be $10,000 to include daily fees, trophy fees, trans to from airport or motel and dip/pack.

My first safari was with Bundu Safaris and fell within those parameters.

Where are you going to get this hunt for $10,000?

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
You'll have to find a hunt where the 50% deposit was forfeited; or, try to negotiate a deal with SSG Safaris although you'll stay in a roundaval.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony notwithstanding, it's not likely to be a once in a lifetime trip. Most people will go back.

The "perfect" safari is going to be very individual, but I agree with the "wild" Africa comments even on a plains game hunt. I'd have a hard time staying in a lodge and not seeing or hearing any big game. However, if I went with my wife, who thinks roughing it is a five star hotel that doesn't have 24 hour roomservice, then a lodge with chalets might be the ticket.

A whole lot of folks take their first plains game safari in RSA -- I've never hunted there. But don't forget Namibia. For plains game, it's reasonable, travel is easy, and I've found the people to be friendly (and English-speaking).

Your plains game choices in Namibia are likely to be somewhat more limited than RSA, but where I've hunted in the north-east, east of Grootfontein, kudu, gemsbok and eland were plentiful. There were also some springbok, decent numbers of hartebeest, wildebeest and zebra, as well as steinbok and duikers. While there was no big game, leopard and wild dogs were seen and cheetah were reportedly in residence. There were also plenty of giraffe, but they were not hunted.

I haven't done that in a number of years so I really can't estimate cost, but not counting taxidermy, I doubt you'd spend "as much as a nice car" as some have suggested. Now once taxidermy comes into the mix, the sky's the limit.

But I'd recommend that you don't mount everything, maybe just skull mounts and a couple of rugs, except for something particularly nice -- (because -- you'll be back).

Good luck.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always said if you can only afford to do something once, you should never go. If you like it, you will be disappointed you can't go again. If you don't like it, you will be disappointed you saved so hard to make a "dream" trip.

I do like hunting plains game, but a ranch hunt in SA is not even close to my idea of Africa. I think sandyhunter offers good advice on many fronts, not the least of which is don't mortgage the house to go hunting.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I think the perfect first safari is the one that allows the most fun without causing a great deal of angst about the budget. Having said that I think the longer you can stay and the more hunitng you can do the more you will enjoy it. Give yourself enough time to relax and absorb the experience. There is so much more to safari than just the shooting.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Having been fortunate enough to go a few times...here is one thing missing from my first trip, and I think would make a huge difference for anyone's first trip. To me a great first or only trip for a tighter budget would be a 10 day PG hunt somewhere for a package of 5-6 animals including kudu, impala, warthog, and 2-3 others BUT in an area where they can encounter some dangerous game . It is a whole different world hunting anything when you may run into elephant, buff, or you may sit in camp at night and hear a lion roar. I think that would add a lot to a first or only hunt personally. I know this isn't the norm, but we are talking about "perfect". I also agree with DOG that $10k with air and observer would be excellent as far as price. One last thing...I think accommodations in an African feeling camp would add a lot as well. I just mean chalets or whatever with thatch roof or permanent tents instead of farm house type lodging. That just has more of a feel of being there.

I have been working on a 1st trip for my wife and twin sons with Charl for next year. I don't think we are going to be able to pull off the hunt around DG deal (but there are 4 of us, so I have to give up something). We are going to hunt close to Kruger, so we will take a couple days before hunting to go see the park and animals, hunt a few days, take a break for a day to go to another reserve, and hunt a few more days. I want to break it up as the boys will only be 12. Then they will come home, and I will go to Mozambique for a DG hunt. So maybe if folks can't hunt around DG, they may at least be able to be close enough to go for some viewing, although I don't consider park animals the same as "real" animals. Hope some of that makes sense...

For me that would be the key. Our first trip to Africa included, 7 days self guided sightseeing in Namibia, a 6 day low fenced ranch hunt in Namibia, followed by 7 days hunting in the Luangwa Valley of Zambia.

I think if you read the two hunt reports in my signature line it is pretty obvious what we liked best.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
Dave,

The first timers have nothing to compare their "perfect safari" to. Unless they go again the safari that they thought was "perfect" may turn out to be average in comparison.

I think a better question would be "for those who have been to Africa more than once what do you think would be a perfect safari for the first timer?"

Good point, but I suppose they have an idea from DVD`s a little research etc, but again gaining experience from the experienced is also important Smiler

Dave Davenport
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I've got to say that the OP is a very good post to gain market knowledge. I think as an outfitter or operator you have to be very flexible in what you can offer. There are many reasons people hunt in Africa.

Trophy collection
Hunt different animals to what is available at home (not just the USA)
Romance
Ethical fair chase hunting
On a bucket list
Return client

I don't know how you guys do it. It certainly is an art replying to that first email. I think the very first element of a successful first safari is honesty, from both client and supplier. The client needs to be honest about what they want and the supplier has to be honest enought to say, I can't do that or, this is what i can supply.

Failure occurs when there is an expectation that is not met. This is where the client has a responsibility. If they have been honest and the outfitter has not, failure occurs. Vica versa.

(written after five rather nice Merlots)

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Romance? bewildered

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Romance is what alot of these posters are talking about. It has to be tented, in the wilds of dark Africa, see DG. High fenced 100,000 acre property doesn't count, lodges don't count and as one poster said "camp over looking a river". Those are the romantical views of Africa. Hell you don't get into the "real Africa" unles you are in the CAR, Uganda etc. Gee I thought my first safari (if I can call it that) at a lodge in Zululand (right the Zulu's aren't the real Africa) was pretty damn cool. So far I have hunted Zululand 6 times along with Zim, Moz and Namabia. Of course I am a bit different I like hunting those little guys and the Spiral horned not bovine. holycow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Romance is what alot of these posters are talking about.
I know I was just kidding around...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like you are catering to someone looking for a vacation or a "shoot" and there are plenty of those out there, thats OK. I have been planning my first hunt for a while. I will typically research areas and outfitters for some time. Probably depends on what I want to hunt, then look for an area where I can legitimately take good represenatatives of the species. Then Look for a operator that matches your personality and knows his business. If you have any questions about them then this board is a good place to ask.
If you are a seasoned hunter and you want to go to Africa for the first time and hunt mountain Nyala or Lord Derby Eland, then do it and do not let someone tell you that is not a good "first hunt". I know a lot of domestic hunters that are better hunters than most that have trecked to Africa (personally). I think most issues with off shore hunts can be logistics. You might want to ask yourself, does heat, dust or insects bother you? Is your wife or significant other going with you, would these issues bother them? This might play into your decision.
I have Targeted Mozimbique and the SAVE. Includes the game species, safari companies, logistics and what is reasonable in cost for my budget.
My first question is what is my quarry?

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The PERFECT first time safari should be a 21-day full bag safari.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Well I have a conference I should be going to in Joburg every year, never gone, so this year I will go and arrange a 5 day plains game safari in RSA. I plan to bring no trophys home except for photos (and maybe some artwork for my wife). My plane trip and hotel stay in Joburg are paid for so it should be very reasonable. I am bringing the 500 Jeffery of course lol ...

My other plan is to take my two sons to Africa hunting with me, right now top of my list is Buzz Charlton in the Save. This won't be cheap, with maybe my two sons each getting a tuskless and some plains game and myself getting a buffalo. No idea what that will cost yet, just getting started on it. Saeed, I also talked to Alan Vincent at SCI Vegas, so I'll be talking to him too. I'm looking a year from this summer.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The PERFECT first time safari should be a 21-day full bag safari.

I agree, if you can afford it! However no matter how long the safari, IMO no safari sholud be taken if it did not include at least one member of the big five and maybe one member of the dangerous eight.

With that said there are many places where even a seven day safari can include cape buffalo, and maybe a hippo, with three or four plains game.

Personally the shortest I consider to be worth the airfare, is fourteen days, in some countries that can include Leopard. With that, if you never get back again you will have a nice small trophy collection!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
It's interesting how some would interpret "first time" which includes "once in a lifetime" as having to be something on the cheap or on a game farm. With no other constraints given, if I was looking for the perfect hunt and I was only given one shot at pulling it off, I'd go for the gusto and try to pull off best I could find, which would include at a minimum wild Africa and as many of the Big 5 as was affordable. That may only be a buff or it may be the whole works.
I'd make every effort to be in a spot where I could hear a wild lion roar at night, experience the talents of great trackers, enjoy the feasts that can come from a remote camp kitchen, and wonder each evening when around the campfire what kind of truly fair chase adventures will show up the next day.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
You can do a great plains game hunt on a budget of $10,000 per hunter, but remember, you can absolutely kill yourself with taxidermy and shipping costs if you don't excercise some restraint. If you don't actually want to have any part of your trophies shipped home (wife won't let them in the house, anyway), then you can save a couple of thousand off of that figure to apply toward your next "safari".

If my wife told me I couldn't put my trophies in the home I bought, the trophies would be in the home, and I think she would be living someplace else!
.......................................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spring:
It's interesting how some would interpret "first time" which includes "once in a lifetime" as having to be something on the cheap or on a game farm. With no other constraints given, if I was looking for the perfect hunt and I was only given one shot at pulling it off, I'd go for the gusto and try to pull off best I could find, which would include at a minimum wild Africa and as many of the Big 5 as was affordable. That may only be a buff or it may be the whole works.
I'd make every effort to be in a spot where I could hear a wild lion roar at night, experience the talents of great trackers, enjoy the feasts that can come from a remote camp kitchen, and wonder each evening when around the campfire what kind of truly fair chase adventures will show up the next day.

Spring:

Your comment makes think that I have never heard anyone who has been on a classic tented safari ever say, "Well, it wasn't as good as that RSA high fenced hunt I went on last year."

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

If my wife told me I couldn't put my trophies in the home I bought, the trophies would be in the home, and I think she would be living someplace else!
.......................................................................................... old

Totally agree.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spring:

+1 tu2

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

+1 The deal with my wife is I purchased the home she wanted. Way more than we need, but it is what she wanted. The return consideration is that I get to buy guns, go on hunts, and put my trophies in the house.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As usual this string has taken on a life of it own, the HELL with the original premis. Average man save up for that once in a life time safari. I seriously doubt the average man saving for the once in a lifetime will do 21 days in Tans or a 15 day Mt Nyala hunt in Ethopia or even a 10 day Royal Antelope in Ghana.