Find
Notify
Tools

The Perfect First Time Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
For me, the 'perfect' first safari was my own. I hunted 24 days in the Deka Safari Area with Roy Vincent. I managed to take a 58 lb. elephant, a leopard over 7 feet that weighed right at 170 pounds, a pair of buffalo over 41" and 42" with heavy bosses, a big kudu, a 45" sable a very big waterbuck as well as a bunch of other stuff including a klipspringer over 5". To date, it is still the very finest hunt I've ever enjoyed in my life. Of animals not on license, we saw a fabulous, full maned lion at 25 yards the first day, and were chased down the road by a big old black rhino bull one night. We found leopard tracks between our tents many mornings.

The whole safari, inclusive of daily rate and trophy fees, was under $30,000... Big Grin

Of course, it took place back in 1983 Wink

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Sounds wonderful

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
As usual this string has taken on a life of it own, the HELL with the original premis. Average man save up for that once in a life time safari. I seriously doubt the average man saving for the once in a lifetime will do 21 days in Tans or a 15 day Mt Nyala hunt in Ethopia or even a 10 day Royal Antelope in Ghana.

Not if he spends all his money on expensive double rifles that are less effective than a cheap bolt gun...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
For me, the 'perfect' first safari was my own. I hunted 24 days in the Deka Safari Area with Roy Vincent. I managed to take a 58 lb. elephant, a leopard over 7 feet that weighed right at 170 pounds, a pair of buffalo over 41" and 42" with heavy bosses, a big kudu, a 45" sable a very big waterbuck as well as a bunch of other stuff including a klipspringer over 5". To date, it is still the very finest hunt I've ever enjoyed in my life. Of animals not on license, we saw a fabulous, full maned lion at 25 yards the first day, and were chased down the road by a big old black rhino bull one night. We found leopard tracks between our tents many mornings.

The whole safari, inclusive of daily rate and trophy fees, was under $30,000... Big Grin

Spectacular safari. But if you had taken that 30K and invested in the stock market, it would be worth 300K today. With that, you could go on perhaps three 24 day hunts.

But you made a good choice.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Spectacular safari. But if you had taken that 30K and invested in the stock market, it would be worth 300K today. With that, you could go on perhaps three 24 day hunts.

Yes, it was a very good choice. I doubt the money would be 10x what is was 29 years ago, and it's hard to put a price on the memories that I've enjoyed all these years from that fabulous hunt. The cost was actually quite a lot less than I posted, so it was a fantastic deal.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first (ten safaris ago) was very near perfect. A close friend and I hunted with Fanie Steyn, Thaba Mmoyo Safaris in Limpopo Province. I chose him based on meeting him at SCI and judged that I could spend a week happily with this gentleman. We had a great hunt, he took wonderful care of us, and at the end we all (Fanie, his wife, son Pietre, daughter Elizy, and baby Zania) and us two hunters spent three wonderful days in Kruger. (Fanie was reluctant to leave his family alone due to security concerns.)

Since then Fanie and I have hunted together several times and in several different countries. I would not trade a million dollars for the friendship of this man.

Today Elizy is a married lady and a licensed PH. Pietre is a competent videographer, and little Zanie is my favorite hunting companion. She is a crack shot, too.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, it was a very good choice. I doubt the money would be 10x what is was 29 years ago, and it's hard to put a price on the memories that I've enjoyed all these years from that fabulous hunt. The cost was actually quite a lot less than I posted, so it was a fantastic deal.

...not to mention there was no guarantee you'd live another 29 years...Who wants to die with regrets?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is what I tell my wife every year as I leave for Africa!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the planning stages for my perfect first time safari and have been for like 20 years now. Took only around 15 years or so to get the wife on board to ok such an extravagance, and now a few years of wrestling with this exact question.... The more I read, research and watch video, the more difficult this question becomes. Do I do 10 days plains game and take a few nice trophies, do I wait a few more years and maybe try for a buff or leopard. Or do I keep waiting for the day I can do the full blown 21 day full bag. Every time a hunt offer comes up on the board, it becomes part of my dreaming and planning. I know the wife will not go for me selling the house to do the 21 day full bag as suggested by Saeed, but oh if only I could...
As it sits today, I would love to do a minimum 10 days in as wild and remote location as possible, with an eland, kudu, warthog, impala and zebra (with very limited shadow lines, love the looks of the mtn, zebra), with the outside possibility of gemsbok or fringe eared ornyx, would be incredible, throw in a buff or leopard and I would be in la la land. Now stumble onto one of the PAC permits for an ele or lion, and keep it for around 10 grand and I would be “in like Flynn”. Oh to dream....
After reading so many of the awesome hunt reports supplied to AR by some of the members, I have also thought it would be really neat to use my money to pay observer rates to accompany Saeed, R. Jolly, Bawanamrm, Safarilawyer, Scottyboy, Larryshores or others on one of their adventures, that way I could experience the wild, dangerous game safari and all its thrills without having to sell the house to do so. Anyone taking that 21 day full bag safari and need a beer drinkin partner or maybe someone to pack that water or rifle for you so the trackers can really concentrate on their job?? Heck, I can even help out with some skinning or act as bait for mopane bees  Maybe Buzz needs someone to ward off the ladies with his new swimming attire???  he he...
I am very lucky in the fact I live in British Columbia so am able to hunt some great animals and also do some guiding which allows me to hunt more and get paid to do so. But this is also a bit of a holdback as well, as I also think that I could sure use a quad for a lot of my hunting here, and the money I spend on safari would get me a real nice quad.
I have had some financial setbacks as well, my awesome best friend Charlie (A Dog Named Africa) and other financial setbacks that eat up my budgets happen and I just try and stay positive and keep the dream alive. But this gives me way more time to think, what ifs... and now my perfect first time safari plans change yet again. Maybe Aaron Neilson, Anne, Adam Clements or Mark Young have an operation they need checked out and have no time, I will do it for you..... 
So for me, the perfect first time safari would be all of the big 5, 21 days minimum including plains game, all for 10 grand including taxidermy,.................... but alas, we all know this is a fantasy, not just a dream.

Keepin the dream alive!!!

Cheers
Chris

It sucks to have champagne dreams on a beer budget... he he he...

Posts: 40 | Location: British Columbia.... | Registered: 05 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leopards valley safaris:
What is the perfect FIRST TIME SAFARI.I have been onAR for a couple of years now and there are some lucky sods that can go to Africa once or twice a year or every other year and hunt buff and Elephant etc.Im sure this intimidates the rest of us that dont have such resources.

So to the MAJORITY - The average man that has to save up for that once in a life time safari.I want to here from you FIRST timers. What is the perfect safari?? Practically.

1. No. of days
2. Animals to take etc
3. price range.

We can call it the AR FIRST TIMERS PACKAGE.
Smiler

Back on track with the OP. I have no doubt the average man cannot afford a 21 day DG Safari first time. Some on here no doubt like to beat their chests over their own accomplishments, but to answer the OP.

7-10 days. Maybe two locations.
PG Kudu, Zebra, Impala, Blue Wildebeast and 2 or 3 more.
$10-15K Including Taxidermy of one or two shoulder mounts, a rug or two and euro mounts.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spring:
quote:
quote:
quote:

...not to mention there was no guarantee you'd live another 29 years...Who wants to die with regrets?

Since my father died at 46 years of age, you have no idea how strong that concept is with me. Go while you can, and go as grand as you can.