Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser R 93
 Login/Join

<Kalle Stolt>
posted
Gentlemen, consider the Blaser R93.

Wouldn't it be a sensible choice for african hunting? Think of it, light, accurate, good irons as well as detachable mounts, fast repetation and you can easily switch barrels from .222 Remington to .375 H&H (or .416 Remington if you got the Safari style stock). You can choose a syntethic or high grade walnut stock and it has a good safety.

I am going to get one with the offroad stock in .222 Remington (for foxes, varmints and roe deer) on thursday. Hope it will work well.

/Kalle

one of us
posted Hide Post
I considered the R93 for a while but backed of due to technical complexity, cost, and some practical issues (ie hurried loading in the field). I do believe it's a good, accurate rifle but not for me.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Jagermeister>
posted
GOd luck with the Blazer, Kalle..seems like a good piece to me.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Kalle Stolt,

I think Blaser R93 has lots of positive points, easy to chage caliber, easy to carry,... the only negative point is the price.

I'll order a Blaser R93 with 2 stocks one Offroad Timber and one wood stock. These in 3 calibers 7X64,.300 Win mag and 9.3X62.

I'm sure it is a good choice for the price, I know more expensive guns with less quality.

You haven't be wrong with Blaser R93.IMHO

Wouldn't it be a sensible choice for african hunting? Think of it, light, accurate, good irons as well as detachable mounts, fast repetation and you can easily switch barrels from .222 Remington to .375 H&H (or .416 Remington if you got the Safari style stock). You can choose a syntethic or high grade walnut stock and it has a good safety.

I am going to get one with the offroad stock in .222 Remington (for foxes, varmints and roe deer) on thursday. Hope it will work well.

/Kalle[/QUOTE]

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Kalle,

Welcome to the forum.

My friend Walter has one, and he thinks it is the very best rifle in the world.

I have a few myself, but would not like to hunt with one, due mainly to what my friend Wachtel has already mentioned.

I just like a good old Mauser style bolt action for my own hunting.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Kalle Stolt>
posted
Thanks for your comments!

Saeed,
For tight spots I�ll rather use my Brno in .416 Rigby and I also have an original Husqvarna in 8x57 Mauser. However, I want to give the R 93 a chance. Not least due to the fact that Sweden won't allow more than 6 rifles or shotguns for hunting regardless of caliber. Because of this, I see real use of the easily exchangeable barrels as you are allowed to own as many barrels you like for one rifle.

/Kalle

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've been extensively using a pair of Blaser R93's since 5 years and, 2000 shots later, have nothing but praise for them. Accuracy, ease of handling, barrel switching, overall finish are tops. The only gripe could be the price but then, you get custom rifle performance right out of the box. However, consider that the total cost of one R93 + a few extra barrels in different calibers is less than so many mass produced rifles in ditto calibers. That's what I told my wife before she shot back with the dumbest answer I ever heard : "...why do you need another 5 rifles..?". Go figure...

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BER007:
I think Blaser R93 has lots of positive points, easy to change caliber, easy to carry,... the only negative point is the price.

The negative points have been incresingly discussed in several German-languagae webboards in the last two years. Some of it was interesting. I shall also take the liberty to avert you of the interview which the then-directors of Blaser gave to Wild & Hund in issue 1/2001, a year ago. W. Osgyan did the interview (he also reported on R 93 problems and failures for the DJZ in the same year).
(Q: "But isn't it true that the bolt will yield, and will no longer be held and engaged by the locking rim of the barrel in case of significant rearward gas escape from a defective cartridge case ?!"
A: "Yes, but that really isn't the point.")

As the Americans say: "Go figure " :->.

quote:
I'm sure it is a good choice for the price,

The Blaser is presently the *most* overpriced gun on the world market, given its technics and manufacture. It is a cheap gun for a FAIRLY expensive price - purposely so -, and VERY MUCH SO in the offered "upgrade" qualities.

Carcano

[This message has been edited by carcano91 (edited 03-03-2002).]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<hornblower>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalle Stolt:

/Kalle

Kalle ,
my husband has a Blaser 93 in cal. .270 Win and barrels in cal. 6,5x68 and 9,3x64 to change for the same rifle . He is very content ! We think the price is not too
high , the quality justifies it !

Administrator
posted Hide Post
hornblower,

Welcome to the forum.

I am glad to see another lady join us.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Kalle Stolt>
posted
Hornblower,
I feel I owe you an appologise for starting the post with "Gentlemen". Ladies should also be included!

/Kalle

<Hunting Max>
posted
@Hornblower, @all

I agree with carcano. No other gun is cheaper built and higher priced than the R93. This is definetely the last gun I ever will own or use. I also do not think that it is a "quality" rifle, for me it is pure junk.

------------------
Guns can save lives - maybe your�s.
Max

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunting Max:
I agree with carcano. No other gun is cheaper built and higher priced than the R93. This is definitely the last gun I ever will own or use. I also do not think that it is a "quality" rifle, for me it is pure junk.

This last statement, as understandable as the feeling may be, is a point where I shall take the liberty to politely express a bit of disagreement with Max.
The Blaser R 93 is a utilitarian tool and nothing more. As such, it has been well proven for 8 years now. It has its flaws, yes, its action is not as safe as any decent military surplus rifle, and is it overpriced, but I would not go as far as to consider it "junk".

Hey, I would even immediately and gladly accept an R 93 as a gift (and then, after having politely thanked the donator, run, not walk, to trade it off gleefully for a fine classic British M 98 chambered for e.g. the .318 W&R or the .333 Jeffery, or an old Miller & Greiss from Munich, in one of their proprietary chamberings) :-).

Weidmannsheil,
Carcano

[This message has been edited by carcano91 (edited 03-03-2002).]

<Kalle Stolt>
posted
Carcano and Max,
I (offcourse) find your oppinion very interesting and am glad that you share your oppinion with me. I got two questions for you:

1. Have any of you been using the R 93, and if so, how much and what was the results?

2. Do you have any suggestion of which take down rifle that gives most gun for the money?

/Kalle

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not least due to the fact that Sweden won't allow more than 6 rifles or shotguns for hunting regardless of caliber. Because of this, I see real use of the easily exchangeable barrels as you are allowed to own as many barrels you like for one rifle.

This may be a serious consideration for you, indeed. If I would lead you to another choice of a modern hunting rifle that also allows a barrel exhange as easy as the Blaser R 93, will you in return help me to find some 8 x 54 Krag-Jorgensen (also known among the neighbours as "Svensk omborrad Mauser") ammo and reloading dies in Sweden ?
:-)

Regards, Carcano

<hornblower>
posted
Hunting Max and Carcano91 ,
it is , as nearlyeverything in life , a matter of personal preference and personal experience . As for me , I nearly exclusively shoot a Blaser Bockb�chsflinte ( one shotgun ,one rifle barrel ) , cal. 7x65R and got almost all my deer with it . It is a very safe and precise tool . I never used my husband�s R93 , but he shot with quite some rifles in his 30 years of hunting and also owns 3 combined rifles made by Fanzoj in Ferlach . HE is content with the Blaser , it never let him down in decisive moments . That�s all WE can say , for us the Blaser is OK , but that�s everyone�s own choice !

<hornblower>
posted
quote:
Hornblower,
I feel I owe you an appologise for starting the post with "Gentlemen". Ladies should also be included!

/Kalle

KALLE ,
you don�t owe me any apology . I was a member of a German hornblowers club and the only woman among 27 men for several years , so I do not worry about being treated like a man , on the contrary , it makes me feel accepted !

<Hunting Max>
posted
@ all,
ok, I agree with carcano, that the description "junk" is not objective for the Blaser R93 and I will apologie myself for that. It is a precise, innovative rifle, with some lack of safety. I do not like rifles, where the bolt opens open due to excessive gas escape from the cartridge case, I do not like rifles, where the cartridge discharges due to a problem on the trigger sear when you close the bolt and I do not like rifles, where the cartridge discharges, when you WANT to close the bolt, before it�s locked. Ok, Blaser sold 100K of that rifles and eventually 50, maybe 100 failed with that or other problems. The second problem I have described, happend to a buddy of mine, three yards near me. Afterwards he gave the rifle to a gunsmith who repaired the sear and than he soldit for less than 40% of the retail price. In the Blaser forum (www.jagd-forum.de)(german posted) there is an actual report of the same problem, where the rifle was sent to Blaser, we will look forward to hear the statement of them. I do not want to retreat anybody buying a Blaser, but I will defenitely never own or use one. It is not only the description of that problems, I saw several Over and Under guns with rust where the barrels are soldered, I do not like plastic on rifles, for me it�s not well balanced, it is overpriced and last but not least it looks ugly.
But this is only my PERSONAL opinion.

------------------
Max

[This message has been edited by Hunting Max (edited 03-03-2002).]

one of us
Picture of HKman
posted Hide Post
I agree with carcano and Max. I hate the Blaser R 93 and think it�s a POS compared to the Sauer 202. Here are the reasons:
- Fast reloading (and I mean really fast!) is terrible inconvenient. You should have good fingernails to pull out the stuck cartridges.
- All the hype about fast reloading is worthless when you get the bolt in your face/nose while cycling the action.
- the so called "safety" is not noiseless. Blaser claimes it is but it is not. Try a Sauer 202 and you�ll know what I mean.

This is not only my opinion. A very experienced PH here in Germany and owner of a hunting school once believed the media hype and bought himself a nice R93. Now he finds no one to sell his rifle because even his students don�t want it after handling and comparing it to good rifles like Sauer or Heym.

Posts: 50 | Location: Nürnberg, Germany | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
quote:
1. Have any of you been using the R 93, and if so, how much and what was the results?

2. Do you have any suggestion of which take down rifle that gives most gun for the money?

/Kalle

Hi Kalle,
Answer 1:
I have shot several times the Blaser Offroad in .30-06 of a friend of mine. It is a fast operating (bolt), precise rifle (1/2 MOA with RWS factory ammo), but is to light and not well balanced, I do not like the "handling" of it.

Answer 2:
Sauer 202 or SHR (Swiss Hunting Rifle) 970

------------------
Max

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting reading on the Blaser.

Hornblower-

You husband has sehr gut taste in rifles to own three Fanzoj rifles. I am going to the gunsmithing school in Ferlach later this year to get the master gunsmith certificate. Should be an interesting 5 years to say the least.

Saeed-

I agree with you on the Mauser styled rifles for afrika. Many positives about using them, compared to most other rifles.

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
<hornblower>
posted
quote:
Hi Kalle,
Answer 1:
I have shot several times the Blaser Offroad in .30-06 of a friend of mine. It is a fast operating (bolt), precise rifle (1/2 MOA with RWS factory ammo), but is to light and not well balanced, I do not like the "handling" of it.

Answer 2:
Sauer 202 or SHR (Swiss Hunting Rifle) 970

Hunting Max ,
I write these comments , because my husband does not speak English . As for me , I do not use the R93 , as I am lefthanded and prefer either the rifle I mentioned in my previous comment or one of my two Browning lever action rifles ( fast and precise enough , but too loud IHMO ).
My husband would like to know , if you ever crawled trough the Scottish highlands in mud and bad weather all day with a good-looking , heavy rifle ? The Blaser is light , he says , but not too light and the offroad version almost looks like wood . OK ,it won�t win a beauty contest , but it is a tool for a certain purpose . I�m just back from a hunt in England ( culling roe does ) under very inconvenient circumstances , heavy rain , gale , mud and flood for one full week , the mud stuck like glue to my clothes , binos , rifle , simply everywhere ! After every stalk it took me at least half an hour to clean my rifle . The Blaser offroad does not rust - unlike my Browning - terrible thing !
Tthe next advantage id the scope : even if you have several barrels , which you can change ,, you only need one scope and it always fits ( at least on our rifle , there are no complaints about anything so far ) .
Regards , hornblower

<Hunting Max>
posted
Hornblower,

when I say the Blaser R93 looks ugly, I do not mean the fiberglass stock. It is the overall look. When I mentioned before, that I do not like plastic on rifles, I also do not mean the stock, because I own several rifles with glass stocks. I do not like cocking pieces, triggers and so on made out of plastic. No, I was never hunting in Scotlans, but I was hunting in the alps and made a long (about 350 miles) floating trip in Alaska on the Nowitna River, most time of it in worst weather. I always used normal weighed rifles with fiberglass stocks and without engraving. When I think the rifle could be lighter for travelling or stalking in the mountains, I prefer reducing weight on the other stuff I am carrying with me. I think there is no need for barrel changing and if you change the barrel on your R93 you have to adjust the scope to the barrel with the other caliber, so where is the benefit of that Blaser mount??? There is no one!

If you are convinced to your R93 it is fine for me. I do not like it, I am near to hate it, but this is my personal thing, like it is your personal thing to like it. If you say you like the Blaser it is no reason for me to say you�re not a fine person and vice versa, because I do not know you personally. But if somebody asks me, whether he should buy a Blaser or not, my answer is "I will not buy it for this and that reason, I nearly hate it, but please make your own choice".

------------------
Max

[This message has been edited by Hunting Max (edited 03-03-2002).]

<Kalle Stolt>
posted
Hornblower,
Great to hear about the bad weather performance. I will start as an appretice hunter at an estate in Denmark next week and I chosed the offroad model (the black one=cheapest) because it will be used a lot in all conditions, stowed in cars etc. I wouldn't like to wory about a wooden stock under such circumstanses.

Max,
Do you know if the Sauer 202 or SHR 970 comes with syntethic stocks. What is the price for these two rifles? In which calibers are they available?

/Kalle

<Hunting Max>
posted
Kalle,
Sauer and SHR are both available with fiberglass stocks. Price for SHR is between 1216,-- and 1370,-- EUR, Barrel 281,-- and 301,-- EUR. Calbers: .270, .308, .30-06, 7x64, 9,3x62, 7mm RemMag and .300WinMag.

Price for Sauer Light All Weather is 1870,--EUR, Barrel is 535,-- EUR, Calibers:.22-250, .243 Win, .308Win, 7x64, .30-06, 9,3x62, 6,5x55, .270Win 8x57IS.

For Comparison: Blaser Offroad is 1389,--EUR, Barrel starts at 487,-- EUR

------------------
Max

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you know if the Sauer 202 or SHR 970 comes with synthetic stocks. What is the price for these two rifles? In which calibers are they available?

May I point you to the Heym SR 21 if you feel you *must* have a "modular" gun with rapidly exchangeable barrels:

http://www.heym-waffenfabrik.de/S_Buechs/S_Repbue/st_Repbu.html

or the Heym SR 30 if you want a high-quality (!) modern straight-pull system.

http://www.heym-waffenfabrik.de/S_Buechs/S_Sr30/st_Sr30.html

Carcano

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I got in late, but I will throw in my two cents.

The Blaser 93 is the best rifle I have ever used, and I have used many. I have not experienced any of the problems that have been mentioned previously, and the performance of BOTH of my weapons has been flawless.

Another consideration that has not been stressed is the ease of travel. I can carry everything I need for African hunting in a case the sized for a takedown shotgun. This important size and weight consideration, coupled with the fast action and excellent accuracy makes the Blaser 93 my choice.

Posts: 192 | Location: Norman, OK USA | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
<hornblower>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by biggametv:
Guess I got in late, but I will throw in my two cents.

The Blaser 93 is the best rifle I have ever used, and I have used many. I have not experienced any of the problems that have been mentioned previously, and the performance of BOTH of my weapons has been flawless.

Another consideration that has not been stressed is the ease of travel. I can carry everything I need for African hunting in a case the sized for a takedown shotgun. This important size and weight consideration, coupled with the fast action and excellent accuracy makes the Blaser 93 my choice.

To put an end to that topic from our side :
Hunting Max , you talked about hunting in the Alps . My husband shot a chamois last September below the Piz Buin and he had to make 2 very quick shots to get the goat and the fawn . No problem with the Blaser .
In that 15.000 hectar estate , the chief hunter and all of his assistants use the Blaser as offroad model , saying it is light , reliable , doesn�t rust and proves to be accurate on long distances .
I admit , all my family are Blaser fans . I do not agree with what you said about the scope and the barrels . We use 1 scope on various barrels , depending on the game we want to hunt . The mount of that one scope fits on all barrels , which saves a lot of money . I had some problems with mounts on the Browning rifle , having to zero my rifle every time after transporting it in an air plane . Not so with the Blaser , I zero it at home and go abroad , take it out of the case and shoot , knowing ,I can rely on it without the usual procedure visiting a shooting range .

<martin f>
posted
Kalle,
I don't own (or ever shot) a Blaser R93, but handled some, and found them too light for my taste. Also I'm not fond of straight-pulls, aluminum and plastic. I agree that the detachable barrels would be handy for travelling. I look forward to hear about your experiences, once you have your .222.
Regarding a .416 for Africa, please consider the following:
- there were some reports about stuck cases (see also HKman above). It appears the camming action or extraction of the R93 is not very strong. This is problematic for a big game rifle
- Magazine capacity is limited, as was said above
- Blaser triggers are factory-adjusted to ca. 400 grams, too light for a big-game rifle
- To add the necessary weight for a .416, Blaser installs a "kickstop" in the butt, adds about 600 grams of weight. I think you can't have a really well balanced rifle that way.

Regards,
Martin

<Hunting Max>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by hornblower:
My husband shot a chamois last September below the Piz Buin and he had to make 2 very quick shots to get the goat and the fawn . No problem with the Blaser .

I do not agree with what you said about the scope and the barrels . We use 1 scope on various barrels , depending on the game we want to hunt . The mount of that one scope fits on all barrels , which saves a lot of money . I had some problems with mounts on the Browning rifle , having to zero my rifle every time after transporting it in an air plane . Not so with the Blaser , I zero it at home and go abroad , take it out of the case and shoot , knowing ,I can rely on it without the usual procedure visiting a shooting range .

Good Morning Hornblower,
my last post to end this discussion,

I never said, that the Blaser is NOT working and I also give a darn about it, where you hunt with the R93, I do not like it for some good reasons. But as I mentioned earlier, it�s your coice to use it and it is my choice not to use it. For me the Blaser 93 is not that rifle, like it is described in the hype media. If you believe that, ok, it�s fine for you.

I never said, that if you remount the scope on the same barrel, that you have to rezero it. The Blaser mount works on that like I expect it from any quality scope mount, nothing more or less. But I do not believe, that no rezeroing from one barrel to another is not necessary. I also do not believe, that the scope which is good for e.g. a .22-250 is also good for using it on a .375 Weatherby and vice versa. That�s the point, there is no, really no benefit to me, to have interchangeable barrels, topped with the same scope and with that to buy any brand of rifle, which has that feature or to buy several rifles with different calibers, topped with the same scope.

This is not a law, just my two cents.

------------------
Max

[This message has been edited by Hunting Max (edited 03-04-2002).]

<350RM>
posted
May I post my comments, as a R93 user:

Two years ago I bought my first remington firestick, direct from the custom shop, a seven in 350RM. I had ordered a 93 offroad and in the end chose to wait for one full year to get my remington. Why ? Well I found the blaser to be made of plastic and alluminium only, it did not inspire me at the time.
The seven costed me 2000 USD and the stock is poorly designed, the floor plate is aluminium, and the barrell is not blued but grossly finished. Overall the finish is an insult, nothing less.

After talking with some fellow hunters who have been using the R93 for years, in all countries, in all conditions, (from Africa to Kazakhstan, Canada, and son on) I bought two R93 4 months ago (one attach�, one special offroad - 50cm 9,3X62 barrel, custom sights and swivel attachments.
Special important features: take down short rifle, extremely accurate, excellent trigger and unique safety.
As for failure under pressure, I figured that this risk could be taken: I use my motorcycle every day in Paris, I am a licenced sky diver and study martial arts, so using the blaser 93 might be the least risky of my leasure activities.

My only concern is the mounting system, way too high for my taste, so I've had the system modified to put the scope closer to the barrel. Now I feel I can begin my rifle collection, as the blaser will do it all...
olivier

<hornblower>
posted
quote:
Good Morning Hornblower,
my last post to end this discussion,

I never said, that the Blaser is NOT working and I also give a darn about it, where you hunt with the R93, I do not like it for some good reasons. But as I mentioned earlier, it�s your coice to use it and it is my choice not to use it. For me the Blaser 93 is not that rifle, like it is described in the hype media. If you believe that, ok, it�s fine for you.

I never said, that if you remount the scope on the same barrel, that you have to rezero it. The Blaser mount works on that like I expect it from any quality scope mount, nothing more or less. But I do not believe, that no rezeroing from one barrel to another is not necessary. I also do not believe, that the scope which is good for e.g. a .22-250 is also good for using it on a .375 Weatherby and vice versa. That�s the point, there is no, really no benefit to me, to have interchangeable barrels, topped with the same scope and with that to buy any brand of rifle, which has that feature or to buy several rifles with different calibers, topped with the same scope.

This is not a law, just my two cents.

Max ,
one short reply : I do not say that one need not rezero , if one uses the same scope on different barrels . What I said was ,that I need not zero my rifle again after a long transport in an airplane . With the Browning , which has a different mount , it happened more than once , that I had to rezero after thre transport . As for using the same scope with different barrels : why not , I like it simple and once being used to one system or one scope , I tend to stay with that . Only my humble opinion !
Enjoy your hunting ! Hornblower

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Kalle,

I just like a good old Mauser style bolt action for my own hunting.

Saeed,
Would that be the same 'old mauser style bolt action' with the remington action, plunger extractor, macmillan stock in those old favourited 375/404 and 270improved?

Anyhow I liked the idea of the R93 but not the execution. Faults for me are

Barrel too short
Only 3 round mag
Clumsey safety
Scope mount too high
243 for 100gr to special order only (so I'm told)

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 03-04-2002).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by hornblower:

Enjoy your hunting ! Hornblower

Hornblower,

yes, thank you, the same to you and your husband, whereever you hunt with whatever shooting stick you�re using!

Waidmannsheil!

------------------
Max

<Kalle Stolt>
posted
I would like to thank all of you for sharing your opinion on the R93 with me. With so different thoughts about it, it seems like the only way to find out if it's worth the money is to buy one and test it. And that's what I'll do as I have allready ordered it. I hope it will do fine for the hunting I intend to do with it (probably NOT hunting dangerous big game) and will come back with a report about how it is working. Thanks again!

Weidmannsheil, Happy hunting or whatever you like!
/Kalle

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

this threat seems to be quite a European discussion - much similar like on the German discussion forums - there are people who love the R93 and then are the ones who hate them...

@Kalle,

good hunting with it - I'm quite sure that you'll like it very much!
I also own one and I'm very satisfied with it (good accuracy, fast reloading (and 4 shots it's enough!!!), take-down possibility, uncocked-bolt safety, reliability (also in the extraction), the length and the balance of the gun etc.) - so far I have used it quite a bit in Africa and Europe.
The R93 Safari is also quite a good gun with a heavy barrel - Blaser therefore put a kick-stop in the back to have the gun balanced again!

Cheers
Erik

[This message has been edited by ErikT (edited 03-04-2002).]

Posts: 175 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Funny thing happening here. On one side we have the R93 owners, whose practical experience results in great satisfaction and in the opposing side, the Blaser haters, dealing with hearsay arguments but without any hands-on experience. Strange, to say the least...

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
Andre,
I really do not want to have the last word on this thread, but as you recognized, I really do not like the Blaser, but it is no hearsay argument, when a cartridge discharges 3yards near you when your buddy closes the bolt, it is no hearsay argument, when several other people had the same problem, it is no hearsay argument, when a customer sent his R93 two weeks ago the second! time back to Blaser with that problem (If you speak german, please check it out on http://www.wo-system.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000418.html and http://www.f23.parsimony.net/forum47504/messages/4331.htm), it is no hearsay argument, that this rifle looks ugly to me, it is no hearsay argument, that I feel it is not well balanced, it is no hearsay argument, that I do not like it�s handling and it�s also no hearsay argument, that I see no benefit in that barrel changing feature and so on and so on. This are my arguments, and they come from several own experiences. When somebody likes the R93, fine, if he hates it, also fine, nothing more or less.

------------------
Max

[This message has been edited by Hunting Max (edited 03-04-2002).]

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Hunting Max,

Up to now, here and in other forums I have seen only happy OWNERS of Blaser R93.

I speak a little german and I will go through your link.

I think Heym rifles are great but Blaser too.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<hornblower>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
Saeed,
Would that be the same 'old mauser style bolt action' with the remington action, plunger extractor, macmillan stock in those old favourited 375/404 and 270improved?

Anyhow I liked the idea of the R93 but not the execution. Faults for me are

Barrel too short
Only 3 round mag
Clumsey safety
Scope mount too high
243 for 100gr to special order only (so I'm told)

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 03-04-2002).]

1894 ,
I really did not want to post any more replies on that topic , but the temptation is too great . You consider it a fault to have a short barrel . Let me tell you : on the contrary , short barrelscan be very useful , e.g. in narrow high-seats or dense vegetation .
Only a 3 round mag :do you want to start a war ? I usually shoot a 1 shot Blaser rifle and one shot will do to , if you aim well enough !
Clumsy safety : Blaser is one of the safest rifles we know , I would not change it for any other !
243 : why not use a different calibre , what�s so desirable about 243 ?
Mounts : well , I cannot make any comment on that .
Good hunting , Hornblower