Tools

AWA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch!!!!!!!! That definately left a mark.

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
Good.

Please expand, "GOOD"

Thanks Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That hadda hurt!

And they say Hartebeeste aren't dangerous game!

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Wow, that Hartebeeste just launched himself, that was amazing. Talk about a one in a million shot...

"SO there I was single-tracking through the veldt when just outta nowhere comes this hartebeeste and knocks me ass over tea-kettle off my bike..."

That's a story he'll be telling well into old age...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
quote:
Good.

Please expand, "GOOD"

Thanks Steve

Too many people view the wilderness as a playground. They're anti-hunting but see nothing wrong with off-roading (bundu-bashing over there ... right?) ... or any of the other stupid things that people-who-have-nothing-better-to-do do to amuse themselves.

Then there's the "Take only photographs; leave only footprints" crowd.

I don't know which is worse ... but I have no use for either.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Yikes! Right to the solar plexus.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
not nice to mess with Mother Nature !

Looks like he tried to race the Hartebeest and lost.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Good.

Please expand, "GOOD"

Thanks Steve

Too many people view the wilderness as a playground. They're anti-hunting but see nothing wrong with off-roading (bundu-bashing over there ... right?) ... or any of the other stupid things that people-who-have-nothing-better-to-do do to amuse themselves.

So if he is not killing things he is misusing the resource? how do you know that is not his private farm? or a nature reserve. There are plenty of narrow minded anti's. Conversely there are plenty of narrow minded fools that call themselves "Sportsman".

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Man, I thought the groundhog that took out my front wheel was bad!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SteveGI,

Further, "the take only pictures leave only footprint s crowd" ??? I can tell its dumbass's like you that give responsible sportsman across the spectrum a bad rap.

That footage could also have been from the grandest mountain bike race in the world as well, Its called the Cape Epic, you basically ride across the southern half of RSA.

www.capeepic.co.za It floors me how closed minded some can be.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Good.

Please expand, "GOOD"

Thanks Steve

this guy was definitely in some sort of competition as the trail was flagged, he was hauling ass and another rider came whizzing by afterward. for all you know he is also a hunter who likes to race mountain bikes. so why is it good that he got flattened?? i have no use for people that draw conclusions without any background info.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dollar,
Thanks, what kind of a ROD, cheers another human hitting the ground with enough force to break a collarbone, separate a shoulder, break a wrist or an arm. No human compassion whatsoever.

I been there done that, he was hurt,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the poor guy was damn lucky he wasn't killed! when a 200 plus lb. animal launches itself at a human, the results can be fatal. busted ribs all too often can puncture a lung or the heart- end of story. of course if he was riding in the bush instead of hunting in the bush, he deserved it. right Steve?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Promise if I were to see a video of SteveGI falling off a cruiser, hitting the ground, ending his safari, like this ended this mans race, I would show a bit of compassion towards him.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Aw, come on now, the guy should just man up and press on- like i am sure Steve would!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too many people view the wilderness as a playground.

Doesn't every person on this site do that in one fashion or another?
Hunting, shooting, hiking, climbing, fishing, biking, boating, skiing, etc, etc, etc..

That is a ridiculous statement.

I view the "wilderness" as my oyster. I derive a great bit of my personal pleasure from it.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8 days, 800 mile stage race. He has NO clue what kind of athletes these guys are. I'm pretty sure this was from the cape epic or www.joberg2c.co.za

These races have waiting list several years long and a lottery system for the lucky few.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
quote:

Hunting, shooting, hiking, climbing, fishing, biking, boating, skiing, etc, etc, etc..

I view the "wilderness" as my oyster. I derive a great bit of my personal pleasure from it.

Maybe we should just skip Kilimanjaro, just a damn playground anyway Eeker

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was one bad-assed hartebeest, and I bet he weighed a lot more than the previously mentioned two hundred pounds. Poor guy. That hurt!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@ SteveGI you need your head read mate! How in any way can that be good?

This guy is an elite athlete taking part in a series of mountain bike races that take place in local game reserves. The money is a great help to the running and maintenance of these reserves. And by the way they also allow a limited number of trophy hunts on the property/s.

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

At 19,341ft, I am very much looking forward to each step upward.
The summit pic will be the highlight of my trophy room and my most treasured African trophy.
Cool

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel no sympathy, nor especially, compassion towards the biker either. After all, he is an extreme athlete and therefore understands the risks out there. Just tough luck to him!

Why does no one feel sympathy towards the hartebeest also who obviously felt the impact too!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That hartebeest didn't even slow down. I doubt if he even noticed it. Looks to me like an attack.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
And people think it is only the Big 6 that will hurt you in "unprovoked" attacks. Wild is wild.

I look at my red hartebeest now with increased admiration.

Love it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SHACK!...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Manyathelo:
@ SteveGI you need your head read mate! How in any way can that be good?

This guy is an elite athlete taking part in a series of mountain bike races that take place in local game reserves. The money is a great help to the running and maintenance of these reserves. And by the way they also allow a limited number of trophy hunts on the property/s.

I’ll reply to this post alone; haven’t time to do more.

Over the years (60 in 2 days!), I've become something of a purist utilitarian; and as one of the consequences of that, my regard for “elite athletes” has diminished considerably. Americans are crazy for them and worship them almost as Gods … even bicycle racers! bewildered

It’s not that I’m anti-sports or anti-competition or anything like that. Hell, I was raised in a football-playing family and spent a couple of decades training with pro-fighters. It’s just gotten out of hand with all the stupid X-sports.

I have much more respect for ranchers and farmers, craftsmen and others (including PHs) whose knowledge and abilities are broader and more connected to real-life and not some contrived competition. I believe they possess great wisdom … (even if they don’t often express it very well). Wink

Let’s celebrate the elite PHs here in the African Hunting forum … and the elite outfitters and game-ranchers without which this forum wouldn’t exist.

F#@k the elite athletes (except for boxers, of course). Big Grin

Besides, according to Natural-Law, the hartebeest had right-of-way. animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It never ceases to amaze me…..the disregard, those in our society give to people who pursue a passion different from their own. SPECIALLY, fat old men past their prime. This forum is replete with guys that cannot get out of there own way, climb a flight of stairs. Walk from hither to yawn without running out of breath.

I would think an elderly gentleman would respect someone who obviously takes care of one’s own temple, his body. Perhaps it’s just a bit of envy?

Drink your single malt, smoke your cigars, and you live with the consequences. If I have a dislocated shoulder, broken wrist, broken collarbone, I will take full responsibility for my actions as well.

Imagine this, you’re a 40 year old fit American, you get off your charter at some remote airstrip in Tanzania, your PH waddles up to shake your hand out of breath, he’s 55 and weighs in somewhere north of 300#. That’s what PH's see in many of us.

BUT…when I’m able to still hunt this planet’s wildest and highest places at 65 and perhaps more, I will enjoy the fruits of my labor, a labor of love. Cycling.

There are no more athletes, dedicated and committed to their sport than cyclist. WE must maintain our conditioning all year, every week up to 30 hours weekly, if we fail to, we loose conditioning. If a fat ol’ range rat miss’s a range day or two, all he’s done is not inhaled the guy’s cigarette next to him for a few hours, probably a health benefit. Oh, yes, you had to walk several hundred yards to check your target.

I’ll readily admit that I am a pariah, I don’t fit in with my hunting demographic because of my cycling and willingness to defend it and my cycling demographic is exceedingly anti hunt, anti gun and I make no apologies to them either.

That bike crash was enough to sustain serious injuries, I’m glad you have enough compassion for your fellow human being to act like the fool that you obviously are.

And worship them as gods? Christ, this forum sucks up to PH’s as bad as or worse than any athlete.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Steve

What is the hartebeeste thinking? Looks like he's making a point (that didn't require horns)?

Cheers

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Upton O. Good:
And people think it is only the Big 6 that will hurt you in "unprovoked" attacks. Wild is wild.

I look at my red hartebeest now with increased admiration.

Love it.

No wild animal will attack un-provoked! How ever each of those animals decides what constitutes provocation!

If you are in the zone he considers to be the fight zone rather than the flight zone, that is provocation as far as he is concerned, whether you know you are there or not. That boy is just lucky that wasn't a lion!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
That boy is just lucky that wasn't a lion!

Or a Brown Bear. We usually have a mountain biker or two popped by Bear every year in the Anchorage Bowl because they ride trails that Bears will frequent at speeds that cause a close encounter. The Bear usually wins temporarily.

There's a trail in Far North Bicentennial Park that gets closed every year now because of this.

That being said I will agree with Steve, having raced bicycles, that elite cyclists may well be the fittest cardio human specimens on Earth.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
It never ceases to amaze me…..the disregard, those in our society give to people who pursue a passion different from their own. SPECIALLY, fat old men past their prime. This forum is replete with guys that cannot get out of there own way, climb a flight of stairs. Walk from hither to yawn without running out of breath.

I would think an elderly gentleman would respect someone who obviously takes care of one’s own temple, his body. Perhaps it’s just a bit of envy?

Drink your single malt, smoke your cigars, and you live with the consequences. If I have a dislocated shoulder, broken wrist, broken collarbone, I will take full responsibility for my actions as well.

Imagine this, you’re a 40 year old fit American, you get off your charter at some remote airstrip in Tanzania, your PH waddles up to shake your hand out of breath, he’s 55 and weighs in somewhere north of 300#. That’s what PH's see in many of us.

BUT…when I’m able to still hunt this planet’s wildest and highest places at 65 and perhaps more, I will enjoy the fruits of my labor, a labor of love. Cycling.

There are no more athletes, dedicated and committed to their sport than cyclist. WE must maintain our conditioning all year, every week up to 30 hours weekly, if we fail to, we loose conditioning. If a fat ol’ range rat miss’s a range day or two, all he’s done is not inhaled the guy’s cigarette next to him for a few hours, probably a health benefit. Oh, yes, you had to walk several hundred yards to check your target.

I’ll readily admit that I am a pariah, I don’t fit in with my hunting demographic because of my cycling and willingness to defend it and my cycling demographic is exceedingly anti hunt, anti gun and I make no apologies to them either.

That bike crash was enough to sustain serious injuries, I’m glad you have enough compassion for your fellow human being to act like the fool that you obviously are.

And worship them as gods? Christ, this forum sucks up to PH’s as bad as or worse than any athlete.

Steve

+1

I treat quite a few cyclists and have also treated a few hit by cars. Kudos to them for persuing their passion and health even at possible expense of bodily harm not of their own fault (flying hartebest or distracted motorists). This is about as ridiculous as the bicyclist thread in the Walter forum........ Roll Eyes

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's what BAB is speaking of, I never could have guessed there are so many Idiots roaming freely amongst us.

I've never ever been a fan of any sort of firearm control but would you want some of these RODS!!! to have guns?

http://forums.accuratereloadin...711065461#1711065461

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

At 19,341ft, I am very much looking forward to each step upward.
The summit pic will be the highlight of my trophy room and my most treasured African trophy.
Cool

Scotty,

You saw my pic in my TR...

It makes a hell of a trophy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
have also treated a few hit by cars. Brett

I've been hit twice on training rides. Once in Pennsylvania when someone made a lefthand turn in front of me at a greenlight when I was on a descent and probably doing 40 MPH. Once in Texas when a pair of well meaning fans deliberately ran their pickup into me to push me into the ditch. I was riding on the shoulder at the time.

Best example of karma in Texas. I was riding from Buffalo Gap to Abilene on a training ride and as I past a rural house someone opened the door and hollered "get him". Two large dogs with ill intent barreled out. I came out of the saddle and started to sprint in order to get out of the "territory". As the two dogs sprinted across the highway to get me a truck hit both.

Cycling can be dangerous (first example) without people that irrationally hate (second and third example) those that ride.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this just falls under the category of "shit happens" for goodness sakes get over it.

Posts: 185 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
??????????? Over?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

I've been hit twice on training rides. Once in Pennsylvania when someone made a lefthand turn in front of me at a greenlight when I was on a descent and probably doing 40 MPH. Once in Texas when a pair of well meaning fans deliberately ran their pickup into me to push me into the ditch. I was riding on the shoulder at the time.

Best example of karma in Texas. I was riding from Buffalo Gap to Abilene on a training ride and as I past a rural house someone opened the door and hollered "get him". Two large dogs with ill intent barreled out. I came out of the saddle and started to sprint in order to get out of the "territory". As the two dogs sprinted across the highway to get me a truck hit both.

Cycling can be dangerous (first example) without people that irrationally hate (second and third example) those that ride.

Frostbit:

Ms AZW got hit on her bike. Some idiot was on a cell phone blabbing and cut a left turn too sharp. She was in the left turn lane waiting for the light. She saw him coming, but couldn't get out of the way. She was on a road bike and her clips only come out to the outside, so when it hit her it smashed her tibia and fibia; the bone was sticking out.

You think modern medicine can do anything, but in this case they nearly amputated her foot. Instead, a surgeon scraped bone from her pelvis and rebuilt the bones (about 2" worth). He then put a rod down her leg with 14 bolts into the most damaged bone. She had a cast on for months after; we even went to Paris with that on her leg.

12 months later she met met me in Moshi TZ to climb Kilimanjaro. She still has that hardware in her leg.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Frostbit:

Ms AZW got hit on her bike. Some idiot was on a cell phone blabbing and cut a left turn too sharp. She was in the left turn lane waiting for the light. She saw him coming, but couldn't get out of the way. She was on a road bike and her clips only come out to the outside, so when it hit her it smashed her tibia and fibia; the bone was sticking out.

You think modern medicine can do anything, but in this case they nearly amputated her foot. Instead, a surgeon scraped bone from her pelvis and rebuilt the bones (about 2" worth). He then put a rod down her leg with 14 bolts into the most damaged bone. She had a cast on for months after; we even went to Paris with that on her leg.

12 months later she met met me in Moshi TZ to climb Kilimanjaro. She still has that hardware in her leg.

Tough woman!! tu2

Glad it worked out well.