Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo herd on Google
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted
My friend Jim Haney sent me this info earlier and it may be of value to the guys with access to Google Earth.

Have a look at location S18 39 06.92 E36 00 40.60 It clearly shows a nice Buffalo herd from the air! This is in the Zambezi delta area in Mozambique.

For what it is worth, the Bahati camp is about 35 miles "left" of this location but not visible as it is under trees.

Johan

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
On the free version, all I can tell is there is about 100 balck spots there.
The US picts are higher resolution, and sometimes horses or cattle can be distinguished by their shadows.
One of my sons teaches at Michigan State U, and one can zoom GoogleEarth down to see a guy mowing the End-zone at the MSU stadium.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
that is pretty neat. I dod find an Elephant in the Caprivi once on GE.

What a great waste of time that is! I love it.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Are you sure those aren't ants? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
That Google Earth is simply amazing! Now, if you can keep those buffs in the same spot for about a year I'll book a hunt with you.

Johan, it was a pleasure to meet you in Jo'burg a few weeks ago. I hope those headsets are working alright for you.

Regards,
Enrique (namibiahunter)

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Have a look atall the game in the Ngorogoro crater in Tanz.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some nice ones Big Grin

Posts: 78 | Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Johnny, that is amazing! Is that the upgraded version of GE?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
and thats what you can get as a civilian. just think of the things big brother knows about you

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
That Buffalo Herd is in Kigosi Reserve. I found it based on the coordinates. Thanks Johnny. I never knew they would give one area in such high resolution, when everything around it is low res.

Anyone who wants to take a look, copy this and paste it 4 17 22.5S 31 23 46.75E It will take you there.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Ha nice - thanks - here is another one (may be eles) tho not in such a big res - as Wendell said : copy - paste:

3 09 22.00S 35 32 57.41E

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah Ha!

Not satellite images, aerial photos from Michael Fay's Megaflyover. Several scattered around from Chad to Ngorogoro.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10434 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok gents, how did you get such good res. off GE.

Posts: 146 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 06 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Man, that made a great background for my PC... now I can while away the hours at work studying that herd of buff and daydreaming!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Figured it out.

If you go into "Layers" in the GE sidebar and enable "National Geographic Magazine", then expand that and enable "Africa Megaflyover" you'll get a little red airplane symbol everywhere one of these aerial photos is integrated into Google Earth, there's a bunch of them from Niger and Chad all the way to South Africa, showing everything from villages and burned-over savannah to hippos, elephants and lechwes.

Even a herd (pod?? flock??) of seals at 27 23'50.18"S 15 21'17.56"E

Posts: 10434 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just because it's overhead imagery doesn't mean it's a satellite. Having formerly been privilege to US military satellite imagery, I'll venture a guess to say that most of the imagery available on Google Earth was taken by an air-breather (that's super secret-squirrel talk for "airplane"). In fact, I'm sure that the above buffalo photo is an air-breather.

Either way, sweet pictures!!

Posts: 130 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The little red airplane says it was a aerial shot. Still cool anyway.

Vic Falls is Awesome on Google Earth BTW.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have had fun trying to find the best bull in that photo. It does seem to support the notion that the best ones are in the back.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
Figured it out.

If you go into "Layers" in the GE sidebar and enable "National Geographic Magazine", then expand that and enable "Africa Megaflyover" you'll get a little red airplane symbol everywhere one of these aerial photos is integrated into Google Earth, there's a bunch of them from Niger and Chad all the way to South Africa, showing everything from villages and burned-over savannah to hippos, elephants and lechwes.

Even a herd (pod?? flock??) of seals at 27 23'50.18"S 15 21'17.56"E

You got it Smiler
and it is just a picture from a flyover in the game reserve

Posts: 78 | Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnny,
But now it makes me want that resolution everywhere...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting in on this late but the best you'll get from a commercial satellite is 1/2 meter resolution, about 20 inches. If you can see something smaller it's from an aircraft. The comment concerning a herd looking like a swarm of ants is about right. Still a great photo. Don't ask how I know.
LTC, Military Intelligence (Ret)

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi there,

We are about to initiate a major research programme on buffalo in the Niassa Reserve, and I want to use this photo as an example of one way to track herds and record status/distribution. Could you send me a jpeg copy? Would be greatly appreciated Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Zanni:
Some nice ones Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi Cass

ust right click on the picture and save as....... Wink

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote