Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yes, a 100 pounder taken in Namibia again
in Nyae-Nyae Conservancy again
Kai-Uwe Denker the ph again
101 and 105 lbs

Congratulations to the hunter and Kai-Uwe

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
If you know all this, when can we expect the pics?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!details!!!!!!!!!!!!! info!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
My God!!!! They still exist.......on both sides!!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
excellent

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PHOTO'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And Allan Cilliers has taken a 91x81, a 80x75 and a 83x79 pound elephant this season.

This keeps up, that corner of Namibia is going to get a reputation! Big Grin

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Vaughn how about a picture please.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Who does Denker and Cillers hunt with, Safari company?

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS to Mr. Denker (again)

Mike,
Here is a link.

http://www.huntingreport.com/t...s_details.cfm?id=533

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Mr. Denker's link

http://www.huntingreport.com/t...s_details.cfm?id=280

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know where Allan is hunting this year? I heard he lost his place on the Kwando.

Allan has always maintained a pretty good average, but he also says there are a lot bigger bulls out there, but most hunters either settle or aren't willing to work hard enough. Guess he's right.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a grand bull,congratulations to all involved.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of ingwe007
posted Hide Post
Well done to all involed how about some photos

Posts: 5 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello folks,

I have mailed Kai-Uwe for pics and permission to post and await his reply.
quote:
Anyone know where Allan is hunting this year? I heard he lost his place on the Kwando.

Allan has hunted East Kavango the last two years and has 1 more year (2011) left. This is also an excellent area as tusk weights mentioned by McCray prove.

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=550

Link to photo and story.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "would" have judged the ivory under a hundred pounds with confidence.

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bewildered

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a 100lbs Bull??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
As Denker tells us, "Thomas turned 45 during his safari, and we had a really great hunt. On the seventh hunting day we took up a huge track and eventually caught up with a very thick-tusked bull with a huge head. We circled and positioned ourselves in front of the oncoming elephant, which advanced to within 10 paces when he became aware of us and faced us with head held high and outstretched ears. Thomas brought him down with a frontal brain shot from his 10.75x68 double rifle. The tusks were officially weighed by MET game ranger Dries Alberts. The longer right tusk has a length of 1.96 meters (6.4 feet) and a circumference of 55 cm (21.7 inches) at the lip."

At nearly 22" in circumference, I would think it adds up pretty quickly.

I recall corrrectly, Ivan mentioned that a big Bots bull is about 18" at the lip, but he can speak to that directly.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That's what I mean about ivory and why I want to know the dimensions and weight of every tusk I see!

I agree that this one does not seem so big, at least not at first glance. Tricky, isn't it?

This bull's head is immense, which makes the tusks look smaller. There's a lot of room in that big head for huge, hidden tusks.

Plus you can tell by the deep indentations in his skull that he's very old, which generally indicates smaller nerves.

And look how his tusks carry their heavy mass nearly all the way out to their tips.

How did I do, Vaughan? Big Grin

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this information, and these photos, Vaughan and Kathi.

What a beast.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vaughn,

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Wow, could (and did) fool me. Congratualtions to the hunter nevertheless!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The longer right tusk has a length of 1.96 meters (6.4 feet)

This bulls must be massive. The 6.4 feet put them into perspective.

Here is Zambezi Valley bull that weighed ~ 45 lbs. You can see they are ~ 4' & 5' long.

But they looked bigger in the ele on the hoof than those do in that pic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That 55 in circumfrence makes a hell of a difference in weight. Consider that that guy in the picture is probably 44 in. chest.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, the picture does NOT look like a 100# bull. I am guessing that the nerve inside the tusks were quite small and thin in order to allow for denser ivory and increase the weight. Also, compare the clients leg or the barrels of the DR to the length of the tusk outside the lip. The client has "skinny" legs so that doesn't help estimate the circumference however.

I never would have guessed this bull at 100#s and doubt anyone would, including a qualified PH. Most of the Eles length had to be inside.
I still suggest the ivory be dried and weighed on a certified accurate scale.

No comments on bullet placement? "10 paces with head held high"?? Very interesting. Not trying to spoil what is a great Ele bull, no matter the size/weight of the tusks, just curious about the claims.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two lessons to take out of this;

1) Trust your PH...especially when his name is Kai-Uwe Denker
2) Length is important, but so is girth!

I all seriousness...I would not have guessed him over 80, but look at the thickness of those tusks. He would almost definitely have had small nerve cavities within the tusks as well, which helps.

Either way, a spectacular trophy!

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
That 55 in circumfrence makes a hell of a difference in weight. Consider that that guy in the picture is probably 44 in. chest.

Thats 55cm, not 55in.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm really glad I don't judge ivory for a living!

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One point to note there is virtually no taper to the tusks, that is big +! Congratulations to the hunter and Denker. It's no doubt a most amazing trophy.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not being an expert, I happen to be reading Will's book right now about shot placement for frontal brain shots on elephant.

From the photo of this 100 pounder, and the statement that it was holding its head high, it seems to me that the shot placement was a bit high as shown by the blood in the photo.

Anyone care to comment? I'm going again in May and my only ele so far was a body shot.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:
Not being an expert, I happen to be reading Will's book right now about shot placement for frontal brain shots on elephant.

From the photo of this 100 pounder, and the statement that it was holding its head high, it seems to me that the shot placement was a bit high as shown by the blood in the photo.

Anyone care to comment? I'm going again in May and my only ele so far was a body shot.

My thoughts exactly, if the head was held high, then to me, the bullet entry hole appears high. bewildered

The again, the ele is dead.

Maybe that was not the only shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Denker was quoted as saying his client, "..made a frontal brain shot." This might indicate that it was not too high a shot. Maybe.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Yeah, doubt that the shot was at a downward angle.
The tusks look like they're 18" just 8 inches from the tip.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thomas brought him down with a frontal brain shot from his 10.75x68 double rifle.

This might be one of those multiple party shots. That blood is placed way too high for on the forehead for a successful brain shot unless the guy is 20 feet tall. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
As Denker tells us, "Thomas turned 45 during his safari, and we had a really great hunt. On the seventh hunting day we took up a huge track and eventually caught up with a very thick-tusked bull with a huge head. We circled and positioned ourselves in front of the oncoming elephant, which advanced to within 10 paces when he became aware of us and faced us with head held high and outstretched ears. Thomas brought him down with a frontal brain shot from his 10.75x68 double rifle.

Regardless of the size or weight of these tusks, you can tell this fellow must have had a wonderful hunt just by Denker's description of how it ended up. Anyone who's faced a big bull at this distance, in this manner, will never forget what it was like, whether his tusks were 100 pounds, or half that.

Posts: 3915 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It certainly doesn't look to be in the same league as the one killed in Mozambique. It just goes to show how much thickness and density of ivory effect weight.

If I had to bet my last dollar on whether that elephant weighed 100 pounds, I would be broke.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
We would both be broke.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote