THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The species you most want to pursue, what you dream about
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The species you most want to pursue, what you dream about
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
I am curious about what species you have not hunted and is at the top of your list. North America, Africa, anywhere. What you dream about?

Without question mine is the Cape Buffalo. I have dreamed about hunting a buff for years and years. I have been on two fabulous plains game hunts but $$$$ did not allow for buff at that time.

As for North America, I would love to hunt a sheep but my knees are not great and most likely won't allow for it. A brown bear a close second.

Not Africa or North America would have to be a trip to NZ for a Stag; a Water Buffalo in Australia a close second.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a difficult question because my list is so long Big Grin

- Lord Derby Eland
- Bongo
- Polar Bear
- Forestelephant
- Elephant
- Jaguar (not legal)

(+ all kinds of sheep, Ibex and whatsoever...) Big Grin

NZ or AUS? not interested

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa-Bongo and Lord Derby Eland

North America-Polar Bear

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Been working on scratching a few off my list (sable, buff, leopard, Ele this June) but here's my up to date list:

Lion (this one is probably not in the cards for me, unfortunately)
Lord Derby Eland
Bongo
Marco Polo sheep
Water buff in Australia
Tahr in NZ
Mountain Caribou in BC or the Yukon
Stone sheep
desert sheep
bighorn sheep(30 years of drawings, no tags)

A guy can dream, right? Big Grin

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Transcapian urial turkmenistan or iran
Altai argali mongolia
Lion africa
Desert bighorn baja
Big horn cadomin alberta

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishN4Eyes:

A guy can dream, right? Big Grin

Yup! A blonde of about 5'6"! With a figure like a spanner! Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin,

I think at this point in my hunting career I'm looking for new experiences more than specific species. I have incomplete plans to hunt some new areas to me in Nambia, a hunt in Agentina plus a real foggy plan to hunt coastal blacktail in California none of which I have done before.

If there is one species I'd really like to have it's a big whitetail. I've made 3 serious attempts and no joy. I have to get this one done.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Justin,

I think at this point in my hunting career I'm looking for new experiences more than specific species. I have incomplete plans to hunt some new areas to me in Nambia, a hunt in Agentina plus a real foggy plan to hunt coastal blacktail in California none of which I have done before.

If there is one species I'd really like to have it's a big whitetail. I've made 3 serious attempts and no joy. I have to get this one done.

Mark

I think you are the only guy I have ever met that has shot everything except for a big whitetail under fair chase conditions. What is your problem? Big Grin

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

I'm not even that fussy. 150 plus and I'd be happy as a clam. One of my problems Is that I just don't want to do the treestand thing. I just hate it. We might get it done this year here in Wyoming spot and stalk. I've enlisted some good local intelligence for this one. I also have a business contact in Alberta that says he can make it happen so all is not lost.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Country/area

Tanz/Masailand
Libera/Forest
C.A.R./Cawas area
Canada/Nunavut
USA/Kodiak

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa....Sable
USA.......Monster Muley and Elk
NZ........Red Stag

All under fair chase conditions Wink

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
or you could come back to the Motherland, Mark and find a big ole Maine ridge runner or swamp buck.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Africa - East African plains game; Bongo; Giant Lord Derby's Eland and Sable.

North America - Desert Big Horn Sheep; 150" plus Whitetail.

Europe - Chinese Water Deer, Roe Deer and Muntjac.

Asia - Ibex

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
John,

I'm not even that fussy. 150 plus and I'd be happy as a clam. One of my problems Is that I just don't want to do the treestand thing. I just hate it. We might get it done this year here in Wyoming spot and stalk. I've enlisted some good local intelligence for this one. I also have a business contact in Alberta that says he can make it happen so all is not lost.

Mark

I can relate to your problem, although I don't mind a treestand. I go every year to MN thinking i will somehow get lucky.

A few fellow hunters have stated that i have a hell of a nice Coues deer in my TR. I have to gulp hard and tell them it is just run of the mill MN deer. Sort of like admitting I wet the bed...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Warthog.

So big we have to import a scale to weigh the tusks. And an olympic meausuring tape to measure the tusks.

That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bluefish,

your right in that the big bucks are there in Maine but in such low densities you might never ever see one let alone be able to let a 140 go to look for a bigger one. I still call Maine home but it's not even on my radar as a deer hunting state.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me I look at 3 factors:

1. The geography. An interesting place I have not seen before.
2. The Animal. I study the animals of the place and pick one.
3. The method of hunting. It's got to be some method I will be proud to try.

Example: One year ago I went to Tanzania to hunt the mountains of Maasailand and the Rift Valley. I hunted Buffalo and Bushbuck on the mountain without ever stepping into a motor vehicle.

I've seen the general bush of southern Africa, the rainforest of Cameroon, the Sahel of Northern Cameroon, the Mountains of Maasailand and the Rift Valley, the Zambezi at Victoria Falls.

I do not have any new place picked out as of yet.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:I think you are the only guy I have ever met that has shot everything except for a big whitetail under fair chase conditions. What is your problem? Big Grin
I haven’t either. I have been to Alberta, NWT, BC and Alaska, but have hunted "out West" just once, managed to take a 5x5 elk w/an inline in the Gila, but it was not a true wilderness experience and the guides were a bit goofy, and frankly it paled into comparison to the experiences available in Africa. However, I am starting to think that a backcountry elk hunt would be tremendous fun, ditto on a good mule deer and/or whitetail hunt. I was looking at Aaron’s hunt offer for a mule deer real hard. My reservation has been finding an honest and reputable outfitter with decent guides in a good area. For me, it is much harder to “buy” one of these hunts than it is Africa, where I am most comfortable. I have spending limits, and I am afraid to drop ~$8K all-in on a trip that is “just ok” when I know that this amount would have gotten me more than half-way to Africa where I know I would have a wonderful time.

Despite the economy, the issues in Africa, challanges flying with firearms, etc etc....I am working hard every day to keep my glass half-full! Big Grin

Africa – YES! (dream hunt CAR jungle, but it ain't going to happen!)
Western US – backcountry Elk, quality Whitetail & Mule Deer (where to start? points? who? anybody need a hunting buddy?)
Alaska – Brown Bear in the streams or Grizzly out of a tent (but with who, and where to put it?)
Canada – Another Dall (hip permitting) (dream animal a bighorn, but it ain't going to happen!)
South America – Hunting/camping in the jungle, wingshooting & fishing w/Juan
Europe – France or Austria for Roe deer & vacationing; Scotland (Campbell Clan!) for red stag & vacationing
New Zealand – Tar and Chamois & vacationing

SG Olds - tu2

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Simple . . . a hundred pound elephant . . . ivory that is, each side . . . .

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
For me it's Elephant. I bagged two on mgm't non exportable bull hunts, but unfortunately these seem to be a thing of the past. I'd love to do a trophy hunt and bring home a set of ivory to put next to my fireplace, but those hunts are just too expensive for me. As my Dad used to say "champagne tastes with a beer pocketbook."

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
In descending order of desire....

Wisent - Poland
Walrus - Canada
Polar bear - Canada
Lion - Burkina Faso
Sika stag - Ireland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu, always kudu.

Also bushbuck, nyala, impala, giraffe, zebra, blue wildebeest, gemsbok, warthog. And duiker.

And elephant.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what is a wisent?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised no one has said Mugabe.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
what is a wisent?

European Bison.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Dreams are free ... & the list is long ... but for Africa

1. Buffalo - an old dugga boy with broomed horns, scars and red eyes at 30 yards.
2. Leopard, while stalking klipspringer in the rocks - quick fast action at close range (yes I saw his nuts and I have a quota)!
3. Following up a bull elephant wounded by someone else. I hear him over my right shoulder & have to turn to my shooting side & brain him at 6 yards!

YES, I have the money for all this and more! I'll keep dreaming!

I could actually write a book on this! Big Grin

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

But just check on the last one on your list - free range, fair chase will get you an average stag but not the monsters from the "velvet / breeding herd" high fence ranches.

quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
Africa....Sable
USA.......Monster Muley and Elk
NZ........Red Stag

All under fair chase conditions Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Mark, I agree. The scenery and place means just as much. One day I want to hunt Tanzania and specifically the Masailand. I would give anything for a Tommy and a Grant's but want to see the culture and area just as much.

I am addicted to Lord of the Rings and want to see NZ really bad. That is a trip my wife wants to go on. She has zero desire for the Dark Continent even if it was a 15 star lodge on a scale of 10.

I would never pass a big muley but took a monster with Aaron Nielsen and Sean a couple of years ago.

Someone mentioned Mtn Caribou. I was lucky and took a 400+ bull a few years back with the Lancaster's. He is a stud. Great trophy.

One of my most cherised that I thought would never come off the list was a mtn goat. Bad knees and mtn goat do not usually go together.

I would really like to hunt a Lord Derby and Bongo but $$$$ dictates that won't happen unless I win the lottery that I don't play.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BIGBOOBEDBLONDENYMPHOMANIACOILBARRONSDAUGHTER
Boy I hope my wife doesn't see this.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa = Elephant ( hope it works out 15 days to go )

North America = Big Bull Elk

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to say,

Africa- Buffalo and Kudu
Australia- Water Buffalo feral cattle, donkeys or camels.
North America- Big Mulie and Musk Ox just due to their environment.

Posts: 72 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
My "list" might change a bit after tomorrow's drawing permits are announced up here.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Leopard
Bongo
Mountain nyala
Giraffe
Musk ox
Blue duiker
Royal antelope

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buffalo, sable, and whatever other plains game we come across on my first safari.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mountain Nyala

Namibia elephant in the desert

Capercaille in the snow

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lord Derby Eland
BIG Cape Buffalo
Polar Bear
Marco Polo sheep
Jaguar ( did not think of this until I read the post above)
Sable & Roan
Mountain Goat

2 Fat Gaboon Vipers (For a few nice pair of boots)

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
At age 77, I'm content with the memories of past hunts.

The trophies I've already taken -- and I'm surprised how many appear on the bucket lists of others here -- have less value to me as the years pass.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
Mark, I agree. The scenery and place means just as much. One day I want to hunt Tanzania and specifically the Masailand. I would give anything for a Tommy and a Grant's but want to see the culture and area just as much.

I am addicted to Lord of the Rings and want to see NZ really bad. That is a trip my wife wants to go on. She has zero desire for the Dark Continent even if it was a 15 star lodge on a scale of 10.

I would never pass a big muley but took a monster with Aaron Nielsen and Sean a couple of years ago.

Someone mentioned Mtn Caribou. I was lucky and took a 400+ bull a few years back with the Lancaster's. He is a stud. Great trophy.

One of my most cherised that I thought would never come off the list was a mtn goat. Bad knees and mtn goat do not usually go together.

I would really like to hunt a Lord Derby and Bongo but $$$$ dictates that won't happen unless I win the lottery that I don't play.

I can relate to these remarks for sure. Bad knees has me re-evaluating things

1. Nothing else really close for me...desert bighorn sheep is my dream hunt
2. Big mule deer really turn my crank. Been chasing them 41 years now. I've got 4 bombers and looking for more.
3. Got my sights set on a big kudu in May 2013

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Africa, Elephants. And Guiena Foul, they are great to eat.

Lower 48, wild pigs and black bear. And Mountain Grouse, they are great to eat.

Alaska the Big Bears. And Ptarmargin, they are great to eat.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jaguar
Snow leopard
Forest elephant
The first 2 not in this life but the last one maybe!

Posts: 208 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote