Find
Notify
Tools

Leatherman or Gerber?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys,

I need some input from anyone that knows multi tools. My Leatherman Wave has been lost, and I need to replace it with something appropriate. I’m leaning towards the Leatherman Charge XTI or TI, but have also been advised to look at the Gerber MP 8000. Do any of you have experience with these products?

I use a multi-tool rather frequently, but not very abusively. So although strength and durability is definitely appreciated, ease, comfort of use and multi capability receives an even higher priority.

Thanks you your input.

Riaan

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Riaan,

I carried a Leatherman Wave everyday for 7 years and on two trips to Africa and found it to be a good tool. HOWEVER, after learning that Tim Leatherman came out and publicly endorsed John Kerry in 2004 I took the Leatherman off and haven't used it since. I tried the Gerber and just wasn't satisfied. Recently I purchased the Swiss Victorinox Multitool and found it to be a very well made, well designed tool. I use it all the time.

Tom

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
You like it better then the leatherman or are you just being stuborn because of politics?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I personally like the Gerber better than the Leatherman. The Gerber is better made and finished. It makes the Leatherman look and feel crude by comparison.

Now that I know Leatherman supported Kerry, I have yet another reason to prefer Gerber. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leatherman is the only tool I carry on the duty belt,, we tried the Gerber but the tools broke and or snapped in half,, have never had a leatherman fail.

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I have always been a huge fan of leathermans, gerbers are junk IMO, leathermans have gotten me out of so many bad situations its not even funny.

Leatherman has just come out with the ultimate refined and beefed up unit to date, its called the Core, its tight and very heavy duty, The Core is the best tool to date, IMO the wave has too many gadgets, I also don't like the way the blades open.

as for leatherman supporting Kerry, that is very disturbing, guess he feels like doing something like that because of all the rednecks who use them

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've had two Gerber's and the only problems I've had was they don't float. Mad

I dropped the first one while surf fishing at Cape Hatteras...

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have a Victorinox multitool..I can tell you the steel on the knives is super very sharp..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I've got a leatherman wave and uses it everyday.
Best thing it's got a life long guarentee. Once a year at the Aim Shot show at Kyalami, I hand it in for a service. All broken parts are replaced free of charge. Nothing on my wave has ever broken and I sometimes do abuse it a little bit. I got a lot of respect for this rugged hard working tool.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started out with Gerbers and then graduated to a Leatherman Wave that I carried for a few years.
My latest favorite is the Leatherman Charge. I like the charge for it's interchangable screwdriver blades that lock into place. I barked my knuckles a few times using the non-locking blades on the older Gerber and Wave.

For hunts I bought the accessory blades kits and made sure than in my side pouch I had blades to fit all the screws on my gun including Hex and Torx bits. They have since retrofited the interchangable tips to the new Waves so they might again be a good option though I don't know if they lock into place like they do on the Charge..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Most of the Gerber products are made in China, so, even if you don't like his politics, Leatherman is an American. I'll bet he has a few Republicans working for him! I'd rather give my money to an American, than send it to China!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Victorinox Swiss tool.

I have used all three makes over the years. I started out with a Leatherman. It wasn't the strongest thing in the world, but was great for repairing camp stoves, fly reels and rafts in the middle of the Alaskan bush. I still have it around the house.

My Gerber has these little tool heads that fit into a socket on the tool. Those are nice. The pliers on my Gerber are coarser than those on my Leatherman so the Gerber has been better for working on machinery. It resides in the glove box of my pickup.

The Swiss tool is better than the other two by a small, but significant margin. Better quality steel and tighter tolerances. It is a bit heavier, but eveerything in life is a compromise.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swiss Tool is a very fine piece of kit. It's contruction, mechanics, and steel scream quality. You can access all the tools except for the pliers without unfolding the tool which I could not do with the Wave. The tools lock in the open position while the tools on the Wave did not.

Now, having experience with both I would prefer the Swiss Tool over the Leatherman even if Tim Leatherman was not a liberal Democrat.

Tom

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used both the Leatherman and the Gerber. Did like the original 'supertool' with the locking blades. Now the Gerbers, with the locking blades and better pliers (than the original gerbers) fit my requirements better than the newer Leatherman offerings.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Execpt for the 'juice' series, the one with the corkscrew comes in real handy, if there is a bottle of wine to be opened, and everyone has forgotten the proper corkscrew!

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I like the Leatherman Super Tool. No corkscrew but I have not found a bottle of wine that I could not get into if I really wanted some. Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both I like the leatherman better when ever I use the Gerber pliers I am always pinching my hand with them.

Posts: 19580 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Most of the Gerber products are made in China, so, even if you don't like his politics, Leatherman is an American. I'll bet he has a few Republicans working for him! I'd rather give my money to an American, than send it to China!

Some of them might be but not all. I am looking at mine and it is definetly made in the US. It is one of the locking blade models. I believe the only ones made in Chine is the old style non locking blade. When my old one broke I sent it back to Gerber and they replied back that the same model was now made "off shore". So I upgraded to a better model and it is made in the US.

As a side note one reason I like Gerbers is their warranty. Mine will brake a blade once in a while (gotta learn to not be so rough - can't use the blade as a pry bar). They have always replaced them at no charge. The last time I sent it in without the case and the replaced that too. Hardly ever a day goes by that I don't wear or use it.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, good point! I have had a couple of things break on Gerbers (usually I stuff up the screwdrivers) and they have always replaced them without quibbling. Last one was the old style black (non locking) needlenose pliers. sent it back, got a new model with locking blades as a replacement, along with a note apologising that they did not make the non locking needlenose model in black anymore.

Got to be happy with that!

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
I'll bet he has a few Republicans working for him!

Being that both compainies are here in the Portland Metro Area, I bet the odds are that the ratio of Republicans to Democrats at both compaines is even at best.

Riaan, When I suggested that you post the question here I knew you'd get opinions, but I didn't suspect that they'd be political!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leatherman original from 1993-2001, Leatherman wave 01- present.

+ 150 Posts - Lost password in last switchover

Posts: 42 | Location: KCMO - But always an Okie | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´ve used a Leatherman Pulse for a few years and it is very useful.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have the Buck tool which is also good.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know the Gerber tools. I had two Leatherman tools and they used to go blunt quickly, screwdriver blades twisted and electrical wire cutting was a joke. Now I have a Schrade multi tool and it has outlasted the combined time of the Leatherman tools and still functions flawlessly. I do stuff with it that made the Leatherman tools lie down and cry. My only complaint is that the pouch wore out and the only pouch I could get hold of was a Leatherman pouch.
thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
none of the above - take a look at the SOG tool.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
swisstool..
the rest aren't up to snuff

seriously

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39590 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leatherman is out due to its support to a political philosophy that seeks to destroy private firearms ownership.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Schrade. Don't like all the tools upright on the squeezing ends on the Leatherman.

A nation with dogs and whiskey beats Nazis. A nation with cats and spritzers is asking to be shoved around.

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After I posted I went looking for a source for a pouch for my Schrade and found that the company went bankrupt in the middle of 2004. I found one reference that someone has taken over the lines and are manufacturing the Schrade products but could not find a source. Pity.

One of Us
Picture of Zingeli_Safaris
posted Hide Post
I will also vote #1 for the Swiss Tool and then the Leatherman. I have both but the Swiss tool is very hard, I use mine every day during the hunting season.

The Gerber is too flimsy for me. I don't get the feeling of a strong tool.

Posts: 53 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Leatherman that is like the Vise Grip, I don't even know it's name. If I go it goes, no matter if it is the shootig bench, hunt, or gardening. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the Gerber products are made in China

Mine has "Gerber USA" all over it. beer clap

Works quite well.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the SOG. I really appreciate the coupound leverage on the pliers, and the blades seem to be superior. Just my two cents worth.

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i have taken a gerber multi around the world a few times...a little rust problem when kyaking in the ocean but it was my fault for not spraying wd40 before the trip and rinsing right afterwards...the mid size ones are the best and plyers are a must for me. i would go for a polished steel vs bead blast finish. the best test is how it feels in your hand and how easy is it to use...go to a store and handle all of them first

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27607 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I use evryday a gerber and i never has any problenm ,and im a lot in the water hunting ducks ,capibaras and water buffalos .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote