Notify
Tools

Your opinions please?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Folks

Just to let you know that we have just finished launching a new version of our website at www.shakariconnection.com and would like (actually, need) your opinions on our efforts please?

The new version is greatly expanded and is designed to be considerably more user friendly. It now comprises of well over 600 pages of free information on all aspects of hunting 13 African nations. We cover so many subjects, the menu has to be spread over both sides of the site pages.

For those book fans amongst you, the SHAKARI CONNECTION BOOKSHELF icon at the top right of every page will take you a choice of many thousands of Africa and African hunting related (new and used) books and DVDs that are available from booksellers worldwide.

We've done a manual link check and are waiting for an automated one to happen, so if you come across any broken links, please do let us know and we'll rectify them ASAP.

We hope you enjoy the site and find it useful and please let us know what you think of it so that we can make any changes that might be needed.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Steve,

The most comprehensive hunting website that I have come across. This is an invaluable reference to anyone interested in hunting Africa.

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Steve, well bloody done!! Two questions arise.
1 , when do you sleep?

2 , how big is your "acacia?"
Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words chaps and please do let us know if anyone spots any improvements we can make or links that need fixing....... there's something in the region of 15K+ links there and I'm fairly sure that despite our checks, there has to be at least a few that need attention.

Scriptus,

Mate, you wouldn't believe the work, time and effort that went into that site. Eeker

We have a mature acacia (fever trees) forest in the front garden (well, 7 trees anyway) so at least I can sit in the shade to do my bits....... Susan prefers the office!..... but there's plenty of spare shade and cold beer in the fridge if you ever get up this way!

Joking aside, Susan has done the vast majority of the work and ALL of the clever work on the site whilst I do the donkey work, make coffee, write and hunt occasionally. Wink

The bookshelf and the various ads you see help pay for the upkeep of the site. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Unforgetable Hunting
posted Hide Post
Oh my God, this is not a web site, this is a whole encyclopedia. My sincere congratulations!

Posts: 599 | Location: Romania, Europe | Registered: 29 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin The Saint did a wonderful job the site is better than ever and you are right it is a lot more user friendly even Elton can find his way around the site now Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only had a quick look at the site - looks nice.

I say this, though: before my two trips to Africa I used the Shakariconnection website a lot.
I found it to be informative: it's a one-stop-shop for one looking for info when planning a trip.
Especially useful were the airline guides and links regarding weapons transport; as well as the packing list.

Kepp up the good work, Shakari!

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks okay to me, your wife did a first rate chore. I was only in the book section looking for books i would like to have only to find I would still like to have some books.

There is a video by Wallace Tabor in the book section with some interesting tidbits for a fledgling greenhorn, like Buffalo licking men to death, bullets ricocheting off the boss, 300 magnums are powerful Big Grin

I swear he shot that buff in the butt! I like a good vintage book but i'll stick with modern videos. Wink

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Wonderful site. I just ordered a book by Elspeth Huxley.
Thanks

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appears first rate to me. I'm saving it to my favorites for reading on through as I find the time. The best I have seen to date.
Well done!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
first off the site s=design looks great, and thanks for leaving the whole stack of links on the left as you navigate from page to page.

One suggestion, in my opinion putting a section of text to be read on a black background makes for very eye straining reading and when you flip back and forth between a black background and white background, your eyes go all wonky. Keep the backgrounds white on all text meant for reading as opposed to the title stuff (Shakari COnnection) which is OK because you arent staring at it long enough for your eyes to adjust and get used to the black.

Damn nice site, do you have a choice as to where the Google ads insert? They are breaking up the flow of text but if you can;t change that then we'll deal with it.
Look forward to going through it it more detail, especially the books!

...later.... also you may want to make the large logo at the top a way 'back home'. A very common thing is to make that your 'emergency' way back to the front of the page. I know you have a "Shakari COnnection Home" Link, but having the big one at top , to me, is a good thing and one a lot of sites try to do.

Cheers.
_Baxter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superb!! As a newbie to Africa hunting I think you have pulled off something really special. Easy to navigate, clean appearance, and truly a one-stop place for info.

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Nice site. Good job.

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
A vast wealth of info presented in a very user friendly manner. Congratulations to Susan and Steve.

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Folks

............................................. It now comprises of well over 600 pages of free information on all aspects of hunting 13 African nations. ...............................

In one respect there seems to be a small problem? In South Africa alone I can name about 16 "Nations that can be hunted: These include, and with you bieng a Brit I'll start my list in a particular manner; Wink Firstly the Boer nation, then the Xhoza nation, the Zulu nation, the Pedi nation, the Tswana nation, then a whole lot more nations that can, mind you, not "may", but "can" be hunted! It is a good thing that you have covered the hunting of African game animals in 13 different African countries.....jumping
dancing jumping

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only counted 598 pages.....

Smiler

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave up counting the pages after I`d been reading for an hour.
Great site Steve, credit to you and the boss. Smiler

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tremendous site Steve,the information is easy to read. It is without a doubt the most info available anywhere!
Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Looks great. I really appreciate the effort you and your wife put into this site.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Got a chance to page through your site-love the changes and believe it is a super refrence, esp to someone who hasnt hunted Africa at all before-Grins at least I can figure out what questions to ASK.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Good job Steve. Made an excellent site even better.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I can't think of much that is not covered on your site. If you had this up before my first safari, it would have saved a lot of emails between my outfitter, my PH and me! If you publish this whole thing as a book, I'll buy a copy just to read for entertainment/learning.Great job Steve and crew. tu2

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted Hide Post
Very good Steve. Easy to navigate, sharp, clean and packed with well written advice, information and connections.

I enjoyed your book and you clearly put equal effort and attention to detail into he site. Excellent resource for anyone interested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great site but can't save the link to my favorites/

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saved it without problem. What browser are you using?

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:

JD

There's no reason from our end that should cause you to have a problem.

Can you create a shortcut to the site?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great site Steve. You have done a great job of putting all the information that someone would need in one place.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful.

With out doubt this is the best and most exhaustive African web site in the industry. Your wife has done a most admirable work along side you and she and you are to be congratulated.

Be assured that I will recommend your site.

Elton Rambin

WWW.FTWOutfitters.com
SAAM Safari

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by J D:

JD

There's no reason from our end that should cause you to have a problem.

Can you create a shortcut to the site?

I right click and get a pop up that reads

"message from web page"
function disabled!

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
JD

Oh, OK. I see what you mean now.

The right click is disabled to make things more difficult for people who try to steal our content and images and then take credit for the work themselves. Roll Eyes (A VERY common problem on the net!)

You should be able to save to favourites by left clicking tools etc or alternatively save a shortcut to your desktop.

Let me know if you have any problems. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job , buddy!!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
JD,

Did you manage to make it work?

Tom,

Thanks buddy. We're still adding to the site and tweaking it but the main launch is now finished. Smiler