Find
Notify
Tools

The Jimmy campaign
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted
Right, after all that, something positive from Zim...

Ladies and gentlemen, here is a way to assist the good guys in the Save conservancy without spending too much money. I have included my book in this deal because some may be sold - call it my contribution - but the emphasis here is on the 'Jimmy and Family' calendar. Buying a calendar will put $6 into the Save anti poaching unit, whereas a book will only give them $4. Of course, one of each will give them $10.... Since launching this raffle earlier this evening, I have sold 6 calendars. It may not seem like much, but $36 pays a gamescout for a few days...The raffle will be ongoing for more than 3 months so who knows...These calendars are really quite special, most of you know Jimmy's story and I'm sure most of you have young children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews who need Christmas presents....Buy a family calendar, and at the same time do something to help the efforts of the guys defending Zim's pressurized wildlife, thank you, Dave

Some photos from the calendar, info about the raffle below:

It pleases me to announce the launch of the 'Jimmy campaign', an initiative to raise money and awareness for the Save conservancy anti rhino poaching unit. The Save conservancy has an excellent rhino conservation track record, achieved against seemingly insurmountable odds, and they are certainly worthy of support.
As some of you know, a major reason for embarking on the Borderline walk was to promote my plan of kickstarting community development projects in rural areas bordering Zimbabwean wildlife areas - hearts and minds, communities, conservation and coexistence. I believe that the fate of all African wildlife areas is firmly in the hands of the rural communities surrounding them. This community/conservation plan is medium to long term and can only be effectively implemented upon completion of the walk. I will fill everyone in when the time is right, but it involves a series of Borderline talk/slide shows, a Borderline book etc. Numerous setbacks find me way behind time (probably 3 months of walking remaining), and so I have been working on something which I hope will be of benefit to Zimbabwean wildlife in the interim, whilst the grander scheme molds itself – that something is the ‘Jimmy campaign’.

Beginning today, 17/11/2011, a raffle is underway. The cost of a ticket is between $20 and $30, depending on how fast you want your ticket to arrive - they come in the form of either a ‘Jimmy and Family, 2012’ calendar http://www.lulu.com/product/ca...h_shelf%2Fcenter%2F1
or a paperback copy of my book, ‘The Shangaan Song http://www.lulu.com/product/pa...r_spotlight_4349757_

Both book and calendar are priced at $19.99 – the discrepancy in ticket price concerns mailing options. All of the profit from the calendar sales ($6/calendar) will be donated to the Save conservancy anti poaching dept, as well as 50% of book sales ($4/book). This is all being done through Dr Peter Lindsey, representing the Save conservancy fundraising committee. I intend for this exercise to be as transparent as possible. With that in mind, I will be posting the sales record of my Lulu account online when the draw takes place, for all to see. That is, the sales record from this date to 25/02/12, which is the planned date of the draw. I have chosen that date because I hope to have completed the Borderline walk by then, but it may be extended a week or two. It is important for anyone who does purchase a calendar and/or book to email me their Lulu receipt number at hulmour@yahoo.com

The first prize in this raffle is a ten day backpacking adventure for up to 4 people with me, the Borderline walker, commencing on a still to be confirmed date in 2012. Totally free of charge but for travel to Zimbabwe. This safari will take place in the Save conservancy and/or the eastern highlands, depending on which area(s) the winner(s) would prefer to adventure about in. Three runners ups will each receive a signed, hardcover copy of ‘The Shangaan Song’ and a ‘Jimmy the Rhino’ calendar.
Please feel free to ask questions, it will help me to fill in the blank spaces. With this notification of the raffle launch, I am also posting a photo album preview with pictures that feature in the calendar. Either the calendar or book would make a great Christmas present for a family member or friend. I think the calendar is ideal for children – educational as well as fun.

It is my wish that this raffle is successful and that we are able to make it an annual event, with ‘in the pipeline’ books and other calendars.

Thank you for your support of our wildlife, I know the Save valley anti poaching team will appreciate it too.

David Hulme

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put me down David for a calendar and book - where do we send the money.

Thanks

Arjun
www.huntersnetworks.com

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thank you Arjun, much appreciated. Here are links to where you can order the calendar/book. If anyone doesn't want to put their mailing address on this site, contact me personally as someone has already done and I can order calendar/book for you and send on. Remember, only a paperback book or Jimmy calendar buys a ticket. If it's okay with those who do order, I will just acknowledge them by screen name on this thread, to keep everything above board. Cheers, David

http://www.lulu.com/product/ca...r_spotlight_4349757_

http://www.lulu.com/product/eb...r_spotlight_4349757_

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi David. PM sent. I'm fine with screen name on this forum. Jytte

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jytte, got your email, much appreciated. Order receipt number 5819378.

Cheers, David

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Let it be known that JTEX, Marty, UEG and safarilawyer have all bought a ticket for this raffle by ordering hardcover books from me recently. I am putting money into the SVC anti poaching fund for you guys based on those purchases, and will put your names on the list.

Your book is on the way Marty and yours will soon be Will.

David

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mark Young for purchasing 2 calendars, order numbers to follow.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
Let it be known that JTEX, Marty, UEG and safarilawyer have all bought a ticket for this raffle by ordering hardcover books from me recently. I am putting money into the SVC anti poaching fund for you guys based on those purchases, and will put your names on the list.

Your book is on the way Marty and yours will soon be Will.

David

Thanks David, very generous.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Order Number: 5820543

Calendar and ebook

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
David,
PM sent.
I've been meaning to order your book, but had not gotten around to it yet. Thanks for posting this offer as it reminded me. Will take a book and a calender.

Thanks!

Adam

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what a great thing - mine is on order too
a huge thanks you for you david for doing what you are doing

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
PM sent David.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

Just sent $50.00 to Pay Pals.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I agree with Will and with David on this one! David's book, The Shangaan Song is a fantastic read (I already have it on i-books, but I am getting a hard bound signed copy delivered to me at the SCI convention). What better cause to donate to than this one?! Come on everyone, and participate in this worthy project!

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Wow, thank you gentlemen, what a fantastic response from the hunting community in such a short time. To be honest, I expected nothing less. I think I have responded to all PM's. For those who don't want to put their postal addresses on the Lulu site, please contact me directly, alternative arrangements can be made - either mailed via me or hand delivered at SCI/Dallas. Mark, Mike, your books and calendars have been ordered. Saeed, Adam, DAL, butchloc, opus72, Bryce, thank you very much. If you haven't yet please post your order number here, thanks.

Mark Young: 5821860

MJines: 5821940

More on the Jimmy campaign coming up shortly!

Cheers, David

One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
Order # 5821149 for 1 calendar and 1 book

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
David sign me in for a book and calender too tu2 that picture with jimmy and the calf is just amacing.....

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought 3 calenders. One for me and two for my kids.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you David! A very nice unexpected bonus.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the generosity. Donner, ozark, Adam, Bryce - I will post your order numbers here in due course. In basically one day you guys have contributed $300 to the Save conservancy anti poaching coffers - 2 scouts wages for a month.

I have just added ebook and ipad to the equation, meaning that MJines and UEG have another ticket, and nganga also has one. Anyone else I have forgotten? Will just check the records again...

For the ebook and ipad I clear $5 and $4 respectively, and I will donate all profits from sales of these to the cause. For the duration of the raffle. That means that a ticket now comes in 3 forms - Jimmy calendar, ebook/ipad and paperback - and the SVC makes between 4 and 6 dollars with each sale. I don't think I need to tell you that the majority of your money gets gobbled up by publishing/shipping...To give you an idea, a calendar costs $13 just to print...

Currently I am printing another 1000 copies of 'The Shangaan Song' here in Zim. Although no bestseller, it has always been a popular read here and I am sure this next batch will do as well as the others. A healthy percentage of the profits from that printing will also be donated to the campaign. I just need to crunch some figues, but it will probably end up being about $5 a book again...

Also due to enter the equation any moment are a very few, very special A2 size photo prints on canvas. I have printed some of my best photos on canvas and have been encouraged by the response here in Zim, and have therefore decided to include them in the campaign. I am busy choosing what to display now and it is a painful process - I only want to offer real quality for sale. These pictures will be fairly expensive (still figuring with shipping) but will make great gifts for Africa enthusiasts. I will have to figure out how many raffle tickets a canvas purchase equates to, but like the paperback, 50% of profit will go to the SVC.

I hope you are all keeping fit because one of you is likely to win the backpacking safari. And it won't be a doddle around the bush in the cruiser like when you are hunting with ZH/CMS, ha ha ha. Only joking, it will be very relaxed and we will do exactly what the winner would like to do, plenty of options. And we will have a heap of fun, guaranteed.

We appreciate your support friends, cheers David

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Donner - 5824184 A
Adam - 5824184 B
Bryce - 5824184 C

2 raffle tickets each, thank you gents.

Ozark - 11257034, 3 tickets.

For your interest, this is what I posted on my Borderline Facebook profile earlier today:

Here is something that can truly make a difference and I need the support of all Zimbabweans and friends of Zimbabwe who are concerned about the plight of our wildlife. Here is a project which can bring conservationists with different viewpoints together, because no true conservationist can have an issue with the success story that is the Save conservancy black rhino program. But anti poaching personnel there are under huge pressure now with limited resources, a million acres and 100+ rhino to defend. I am going to ask my friend Mark Brightman who heads the conservancy anti poaching team to fill everyone in with some gen on the area's rhino. Also added to the raffle equation now are ebooks - 1 ebook equals 1 ticket and puts $5 (100% of profit) in the conservancy anti poaching coffers. This enables people who would like to get a ticket a much cheaper option than buying a calendar or paperback. And there is more to come - one or two other ways to enter this unique raffle and help the cause. To be announced soon. In 2 days, over $300 has been raised for the Save rhino by the Jimmy campaign. The vast majority of this has come from the hunting community on www.accuratereloading.com, and I have orders for at least another $100 from members of that site. Not much for many, but a great deal for the SVC, in that what has already been raised will pay 2 rhino scouts for a month. This raffle is ongoing for more than 3 months...We can make a difference. Here is something completely transparent and positive coming out of the mess that is the current Zimbabwe wildlife situation. Please support this worthwhile cause and when you do buy either a Jimmy and Family calendar, paperback or ebook, please be sure to send me your order number at hulmour@yahoo.com, so that I may record raffle tickets accordingly. Many thanks and don't be shy to share with anyone and everyone, David Hulme.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Ladies and gentlemen, friends of Zimbabwe and wildlife everywhere. Here is another angle to Jimmy's campaign. I am auctioning an A2 size, HD canvas print of this unique Borderline image, starting now. The auction will run for exactly 2 weeks, closing at 7pm on 4 December, 2011. All profit will be donated to the Save conservancy anti rhino poaching unit. I personally guarantee the top bidder that no other original copy of this photograph will ever be printed without their permission. This picture was a finalist in the recently held Safari Interactive magazine's competition, and I have chosen it based on public response to my entries. Some people have suggested this photograph has been touched up, but that is not the case, the light is at it was, right place right time. It was shot on the Gaerezi River, on the evening of 5 November, 2010, with a little Canon G11 on its last legs. Printing this picture on canvas will cost me $40 and I hereby open the bidding at $100. If I win, that will put $60 into the Save conservancy rhino coffers as there will be no shipping cost involved.....Thank you, David

Administrator
posted Hide Post
David,

That is a fantastic picture.

I have sent you an order for 10 books, and I will bid $300 on the picture.

Good luck with it. It is all for a good cause.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I am speechless, many thanks sir. Your contribution to conservation over the years has been both extremely generous and constant. I know I can speak for the Save conservancy anti poaching team when I extend my utmost appreciation on their behalf.

David

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I will be very pleased if some Zimbabwean operators and or PH's, especially the ones operating in the Save conservancy, turn up at this party. For as long as I can remember I (and you, fellow Zimbabwean hunter) have been preaching 'Zimbabweans must do it for themselves'. Think the food aid issue and where that has got us, in terms of progress. That is why I use books and calendars as raffle tickets - something for something has to be the deal, not something for nothing. It would be gratifying to see Zimbabweans contribute to this, OUR cause, backing OUR horse. Whilst I understand that this is a team effort and many foreign hunters here have strong ties to Zim and the Save, a team cannot win unless all members give it there all. I have bought my calendar and book....

Good day, so far we, through Jimmy's campaign, have raised over $600 for what is arguably the most successful black rhino conservation area in Africa. When I say 'we', I mean hunters. That equates to the wages of 4 rhino scouts for one month.

beer David

Administrator
posted Hide Post
David,

Walter has agreed to give up his cake, ice creams and other dessert for a week.
Which equates to about $200.

So I will add the $200 saved from this to my bid.
So it is $500 now.

This seems to be a win win situation.

It will stop Walter's wife blaming me for feeding her husband sweets, and will add a few bucks to the poaching wallet.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
David, are you going to bring any extra copies to DSC?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David - All of your pictures are absolutely gorgeous, but that one you are auctioning of the Gaerezi River is amazing. One question - will you be at SCI in Las Vegas, and if so, will you have any of your books and calendars with you?

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave

I am in for a book and a callendar. I am away till monday seeing Bill Cambell down in the Valley but maybe we can meet up on Monday and I will give you the boodle. Cheers and well done! Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave

One more question Dave- the Gaerezi is one of my most favourite spots where i have spent many days fly fishing and where I go for my R and R- where excatly was the pic taken, Nat parks waters, the fly fishing camp fire area or below. thanks dave- Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I cannot begin to express my appreciation. The mysterious Mr X is muttering but cannot force himself to part with one more Franklin, let alone two. I'm sure Walter is not very amused by this anti poaching fund and hope he doesn't take it too personally. I hope you are giving him some of your raffle tickets, I may yet get to meet him in person, on the backpacking safari, in the eastern highlands!

Hog Killer, Molepolole, unfortunately, yet again, I will not be in the US for the shows. This is the third time I have put it off and have been disappointed each time, but I am beginning to see reason now. I don't see how anything can prevent me from being there in 2013 and I will be coming prepared. I am sending a couple of calendars over to SCI for Mark Young already, via PH courier, and could send a few more if anyone would like to do it that way...

Cheers Buzz, much appreciated, will make a plan to collect boodle whenever it's convenient, placing your order now.

These pictures of the Gaerezi are on the lower Gaerezi, below the old bridge. I think they consider the lower Gaerezi to begin at the bridge. From the bridge, it runs right along the Moz border for what must be about 80 kms, maybe more, will check...You fish on the upper Gaerezi which I didn't walk on as it veers inland. I have been there a couple of times before though and it is equally as stunning, in a totally different way. The upper Gaerezi is definitely highveld and the lower definitely lowveld. The Gaerezi is an awesome river, rich in history - a gateway to the interior for the Arabs and Portuguese hundreds of years ago, as were the Ruya, Mazowe and Ruenya. There is no game left on the lower Gaerezi but it must have been full of everything at one stage and how I wish I had seen it then. The people are fine, very easy to get on with, like most Zimbos...

Thank you very much friends, the response to this project has been fantastic so far.

If anyone of you want to order anything at all to support the Save anti poaching effort and enter the raffle, please do not hesitate to contact me at hulmour@yahoo.com

David

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
David: Just ordered the calendar, as I already have your wonderful book.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
David: Just ordered the calendar, as I already have your wonderful book.

Thank you Bill, and thank you for reminding me about buying the book, I knew I was one man short. You have 2 tickets to the raffle. Please post your order number here, if you don't mind.

Best wishes, David

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
My pleasure!

Order Receipt #5833811 from www.lulu.com

Those photos are outstanding. I particularly love the shot of the old man with his tattered Bible.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Those photos are outstanding. I particularly love the shot of the old man with his tattered Bible.

Thanks Bill, and thank you all. It was quite a big step for me to display any of my photos for sale online. As stated, I have printed a number on canvas and sold them here in Zim, but this is a little different as it is difficult for potential buyers to appreciate the blown up effect on canvas.

One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
Great cause, I just ordered 3 calenders conf number 5834221.

Regards,
Mario

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Many thanks Mario, you also have 3 raffle tickets.

I am just figuring out how much money we have made for the conservancy so far and will let you all know soon. This is a super effort, thank you good people, David

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thank you BigBoreCore for buying a calendar and book, you have 2 raffle tickets. Thank you too for the $50 over and above donation to the Save anti poaching effort.

David

One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
David

Just ordered the book and calender, order nr. 5836704.

Torbjørn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote