THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Looking to book my first safari - feedback needed
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to book my first safari - feedback needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted
Hello Accurate Reloading Colleagues,

My wife and I are looking to book our first safari, and I am wondering if you could please provide feedback on the following. We are planning on a straight-forward 5-7 day plains game safari that will provide a good solid foudation as our "first/intro" safari. My wife will be an observer and I will be hunting.

I have found several deals on different guides' websites, all promising a "great deal" and good rates, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Could you please help me with what to look for and to formulate questions to ask?

I see that some offer per-day hunts, with an observer fee and trophy fees added per animal, while others are more "all-inclusive" with a few trophies included in the fee, such as is the case with African Sky Safaris (we looked extensively at their website, which has peeked our interest). Is there a standard preferred way to book (a first) safari, or is it really dependent upon the individual?

We would like to book this for May of this year, which I'm not even sure is possible- is that way too short of a timeframe?

I realize I'm posting in a sub-forum devoted to guides offering safaris, which I did by design (mods: please move if inappropriate). We are open to any solicitations to book with your operation (perhaps a PM is in order, or an email to me at johngalt331 at yahoo dot com). And everyone else, please let me know if you have a favorite outfit in South Africa or the region.

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions!

-John

One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty tight schedule but would seem doable. If I were in your shoes, I'd look at the Africa Reference forum -- some good information there. I'd also scan this forum as there are some promising offerings that seem to fit your needs listed here. Don't know anything about those offering the hunts or about your dates.

You might also check with some of the excellent booking agents who post here. Their input and advice would be invaluable. I won't try to list them at the risk of inadvertently leaving someone out.

Finally, I'd try to do 10 days for a plains game safari, if at all possible. Even that is awfully short. I've lost days/been hampered by weather in the past and if that happens, 5 to 7 days could get pretty much wiped out. Ten days will fly past anyway.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Hi John.
There are so many hunts out there and all are slightly different.Whats in whats not etc.

So the best choice is an ALL INCLUSIVE package that has the animals that you are wanting.This is a lot better on a plains game safari.
Most Outfits will let you add extra animals.

What are the sizes of the hunting areas? are the concessions spread out over large areas?
Ask the outfitter for at least 5 referances.
Hope this was of help.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
10 days is a much better minimum and I would give Namibia a very serious look.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Hi John,
just curious if you are the same John Galt who posts on the DOC forum. if so you have apparently moved from the great white north to Oz since you joined here 4 plus years ago. good luck on your quest- i have a few recommendations if you are interested- drop me a PM. Jerry Dollar

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
All: Thanks very much for the feedback you provided thus far. This has been most helpful. I am strongly considering Namibia.

jdollar: no I'm not him. Funny there's another John Galt on another forum. I thought my random literary reference would be rare enough. I'm in Minneapolis.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Like you, I have never been to Africa. When I started a similar thread, I got a lot of PMs and good suggestions. I finally put all that info into a spreadsheet to get my mind around the huge number of options and variable costs.

If you are looking only for plains game, I found Andrew Maclaren very interesting. Even Zambia, which is more of a DG destination, sound awesome simply because it will be real old wild Africa.

Good luck with your plans.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to do 10 - 14 days. It costs a lot to get there so spend the extra time. Days will fly by in Africa and you won't be sorry. PM me for more info if you like. I have been to Namibia 3 times, RSA times so have some reputable folks you can talk with. You didn't mention bow or rifle, I am assuming rifle. Namibia is a great Country to do some sightseeing as well. Last time there I spent 7 days touring around the Country prior to the hunt. Later.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plan at least 10 days on the ground. It passes quickly and you will regret the long plane ride and not staying longer.

Go to Namibia or RSA. There are dozens of excellent outfits.

Decide what animals you are interested in. I would suggest kudu, zebra, springbok, impala and whatever. Do not hold out for one animal. Hunt whatever they have and enjoy yourself.

This will not be your last trip.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only been on three African hunting trips, all for plainsgame, but I have hunted in three different countries, each with experiences that differed from each other in several respects. As a relative neophyte myself, I would humbly suggest you ask yourself, and your wife, some questions.

First, what is your primary reason/goal for the trip? Do you want to shoot an animal or two each day, or are you more interested in spending a few days-- or more-- for each animal and seeing what else there is to see? What sort of hunting area are you interested in? You can hunt in areas where there are game animals as well as livestock, areas with high fences or three-strand cattle fences. You can hunt where there are no fences and no people to speak of. What sort of accommodations do you want? A lodge with air conditioning and a pool? A ranch house? Tented camp? Chalet with attached private bath? Are you interested primarily in shooting game, or viewing wildlife as well as shooting a couple heads? Will your wife want to follow you around all day as you hunt, or will she want to do some non-hunting thing while you hunt? And of course, what sort of game do you want to hunt?

Regardless of how you answer these questions, I would strongly agree with those who advise that you spend at least ten days in-country, even if you only actually hunt for six or seven. As has been said, for most of us the cost of getting to the African continent is so high that we can only go rarely, and then at the expense of kids not going to college, eating or wearing shoes. Unless you don't face the financial barriers most of us do, you'll want to get the most possible out of each trip you make.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

While it is certainly possible to get a hunt organised for May, I wouldn't suggest doing it unless you've already explicitly answered most of the questions mentioned above. Once you are absolutely clear in your own mind what kind of experience you want you'll be able to quickly sort through the thousands of options and book a hunt you'll both love.

Last fall I was able to get a great hunt in with just 10 days between signing the contract and getting on the plane. However, at times over the last 8-9 years researching possible hunts has a bit of a hobbie. Before I booked my first hunt, it probably took me 6 months to figure out exactly what I wanted (and could afford). After that, finding the right hunt and booking it was fast and easy. With all the options available, there is to my mind just no reason to settle for something less than exactly what you want (within the bounds of time, money and law). There is just too much at stake (time, money, emotional investment) to settle for anything less.

The only person I know who has hunted Africa and not cared to go back decided to get his feet wet with a cheap and easy option. The experience wasn't what he really wanted and not only did he piss away his time and money, he shattered a life long dream.

All the best,
Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

"The only thing better than your first safari is your second!!!!!"

Posts: 43 | Location: Racine, MN | Registered: 30 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7STDUBBERU
posted Hide Post
Contact WadeDerby at Crosshair Consulting

Wade offers an African Safari that my friend and I did a few years back with Andrew Renton. It was a total blast and highly recommened. Many other friends have gone thru Wade for this same deal, do yourself a favor and take the time to contact Wade.

God Bless Our Troops

FU-AC

Posts: 192 | Location: New York | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my son and I had a great hunt a few years ago with Nihan Engelbrecht of huntersgame.co.za

We hunted two properties, one in the Kalahari and the family farm near Kimberley South Africa. Nihan is a very good hunter and a great host, I wouldn't hesitate to bring my wife with Nihan.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
That's a pretty tight schedule but would seem doable.

Finally, I'd try to do 10 days for a plains game safari, if at all possible. Even that is awfully short. I've lost days/been hampered by weather in the past and if that happens, 5 to 7 days could get pretty much wiped out. Ten days will fly past anyway.

Good luck.

Good luck.

+1

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
5-7 days is do-able and will give you a taste (or not) so you can come back later with a better plan and do it properly. As everyone has said, longer is better but a short intro is also good.

African Sky look like a generic operation that has many duplicate business models over southern Africa. They probably sub let hunting areas rather than own specific 'blocks'.

Decide what your priority species is and where you want to hunt that species. ie Springbok in the Kalahari or Nyala in Kwa-Zulu. The rest falls into place. 5-7 days will only give you the chance at 2-3 trophy species with no guarantee if fair chase ( Unless you hunt from the back of a truck ). It's your call so you decide.

I'd send a common email to a number of operators and a few of them will have replys that leap out as being what you want. You can adjust your questions as you go along. Ask everything and bargain hard.

Booking this year is a bit late. If they can 'fit you in' it may be because of a cancellaton or they are not that busy, ie not that good.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The post about what you want out of a safari offered great advice. Some folks want to just focus on the kill, others want to expereince much more of the culture, or maybe even shop. I have done both several times. My favorites have been on the large concessions in Namibia. I enjoy hunting without a fence, just the little
bit of purist left in me. I also enjoy bringing shoes, clothing, med supplies or whatever else I can stuff into a SCI blue bag to donate to local villages. It is an awesome experience to deliver meat you have harvested to a small village and see the kids light up.

i ahev never done less than 10 days. You will be a littel off your first day, sometimes even the second day.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Word of caution: go slowly. Web sites promise you the moon. You don't want to have a bad trip on your first go.First, I think you need to decide what you want to hunt. That will narrow things down alot. Two outfitters in Zimbabwe are CM Safaris in their new area Hammond Conservancy. Also, Roger Whittall in the Save Conservancy. Both are the very top of the line. Their areas are like the garden of Eden. Other than that, I would talk to several booking agents that have been doing it for a long time. A good agent can help walk you through it to find exactly what you want. From the agents that you talk to there will be two or three safari companines that all of them recommend, then pick the agent you feel most comfortable with. Don't go looking for the cheapest deal, money is certainly a factor but you usually pay for what you get. The EXPERIENCE is SO important. Have a great trip, WARNING: it won't be your last .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could go on but here it is:
NAMIBIA FIRST TIME HANDS DOWN
KOWAS IS MY CHOICE.
DANIE STRAUSS THE OWNER

Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR John,

Some members have suggested that you extent your stay to at least 10 days, and I think that is a great idea.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even Zambia, which is more of a DG destination, sound awesome simply because it will be real old wild Africa.

Second that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Not a problem to schedule a May hunt. It's a good time of year to hunt Africa. I would suggest as others 10 days but we offer hunts starting a 5 days but I would at least take a few extra days to visit some of the parks, sightsee or go shopping.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Ha ha! I have not forgotten your advise Andrew. The two Andrews are at the top of MY list when I go alone.

My 2013 plan is to go with an experienced friend.

quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Even Zambia, which is more of a DG destination, sound awesome simply because it will be real old wild Africa.

Second that.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is John Galt?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Second that.

Andrew,

Where is that view from?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 8-10 days vs. 5-7.

Hell of a long way to go for 5 days.

The only problem with this is if you have a very limited trophy fee budget and you get everything you can afford by day 5 of a 10 day hunt. Not that you can't find some great fun/sight seeing to fill the rest of the time but just be prepared for that scenario.

The other option is to do a five day hunt and then go do something else for four or five days, like Kruger park or other sight seeing. You will not regret it.

I would much rather save up a little more and go a year or two later for ten days or more.

I understand some have more available time and some have more available money. For me, extending the stay as long as possible even if spending very little each day or doing things on your own is better than blowing it all in 5 days.

As others have said...IT WILL FLY BY!

Also, depending on what kind of wife you have, you may want to stay away from areas known for their diamonds. Big Grin

In fact, budget a couple of animals for her too...she may not hunt now, but you would be surprised what a few days riding around in Africa will do....No joke!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdirks:
I have only been on three African hunting trips, all for plainsgame, but I have hunted in three different countries, each with experiences that differed from each other in several respects. As a relative neophyte myself, I would humbly suggest you ask yourself, and your wife, some questions.

First, what is your primary reason/goal for the trip? Do you want to shoot an animal or two each day, or are you more interested in spending a few days-- or more-- for each animal and seeing what else there is to see? What sort of hunting area are you interested in? You can hunt in areas where there are game animals as well as livestock, areas with high fences or three-strand cattle fences. You can hunt where there are no fences and no people to speak of. What sort of accommodations do you want? A lodge with air conditioning and a pool? A ranch house? Tented camp? Chalet with attached private bath? Are you interested primarily in shooting game, or viewing wildlife as well as shooting a couple heads? Will your wife want to follow you around all day as you hunt, or will she want to do some non-hunting thing while you hunt? And of course, what sort of game do you want to hunt?

Regardless of how you answer these questions, I would strongly agree with those who advise that you spend at least ten days in-country, even if you only actually hunt for six or seven. As has been said, for most of us the cost of getting to the African continent is so high that we can only go rarely, and then at the expense of kids not going to college, eating or wearing shoes. Unless you don't face the financial barriers most of us do, you'll want to get the most possible out of each trip you make.

In my opinion this is the best advice that has been posted. There will always be "deals" to be had but don't be fooled into false economy. In other words look for "value" not "cheap". Unless there is some important reason to go in May postpone your plans until you have done more research. There is no reason I can see to rush. My own personal standard is I book a year out.

You only get to do your first safari once. Make it a good one. If you do then you will stop at nothing to make sure that you return. If you don't it may sour you on Africa or even worse ruin it for your wife. If your wife loves it then she will understand and support you going again with or without her.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:

Second that.

Andrew,

Where is that view from?

Upstream from camp.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
Everyone,

Thanks again for all of your feedback. This is proving truly invaluable as my wife and I determine what will shape up to be the best safari for us! I really appreciate all the help you're providing.

-John

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
There will always be "deals" to be had but don't be fooled into false economy. In other words look for "value" not "cheap".

+1 compare apples with apples

5 days is a short time when youve spent 2 days getting here and 2 to get home.The flight will cost the same if you spend 10 days.
If you look carefully you can get a value for money 10 day package with a reputable guy, with referances etc

+1 for May in Southern Africa this is when a number of animals are rutting and its nice and cool.
GOOD LUCK tu2

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ANDREW RENTON
posted Hide Post
JOHN ,
for the first time safari i would suggest come to us in the eastern cape,(KEI RIVER HUNTING SAFARIS)so many species and most are low fence,your wife will enjoy the friendship scenery and the food is excellent,for excellent service and hunting contact Wade Derby of crosshair consulting, 925 6798168<
I own Kei river hunting safaris,for the first time hunter to the most experienced its still the place to go to.
REFERENCES ON HUNTING REPORT .COM

quote:
Originally posted by John Galt:
Hello Accurate Reloading Colleagues,

My wife and I are looking to book our first safari, and I am wondering if you could please provide feedback on the following. We are planning on a straight-forward 5-7 day plains game safari that will provide a good solid foudation as our "first/intro" safari. My wife will be an observer and I will be hunting.

I have found several deals on different guides' websites, all promising a "great deal" and good rates, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Could you please help me with what to look for and to formulate questions to ask?

I see that some offer per-day hunts, with an observer fee and trophy fees added per animal, while others are more "all-inclusive" with a few trophies included in the fee, such as is the case with African Sky Safaris (we looked extensively at their website, which has peeked our interest). Is there a standard preferred way to book (a first) safari, or is it really dependent upon the individual?

We would like to book this for May of this year, which I'm not even sure is possible- is that way too short of a timeframe?

I realize I'm posting in a sub-forum devoted to guides offering safaris, which I did by design (mods: please move if inappropriate). We are open to any solicitations to book with your operation (perhaps a PM is in order, or an email to me at johngalt331 at yahoo dot com). And everyone else, please let me know if you have a favorite outfit in South Africa or the region.

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions!

-John

Posts: 51 | Location: eastern cape,south africa | Registered: 17 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Five or seven days may or may not be too short depending upon what is planned. We are doing seven days hunting than spending another ten days seeing other parts af Africa. A lot more to do there than only hunt.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello John;
You are doing the right thing first...by ASKING!! Then once you make a choice, then check, and check and check references...and remember things change in Africa!!

Don't go for less than 10 days, better two weeks and do some sightseeing with your wife to get over jet lag.

I recommend Cam Greig's Bombazi Wilderness on the East Cape, SA. 10,000 acres of heaven and you do have to work for your trophies and he has real good trophies, if you will hunt for them. I spent 10 days there in April last year and had a ball. Most of the hunting is from ATV's up close and friendly with the three different eco-cultures on the farm.

His people are great, food great, accommodations great and best- little hunting so great trophies!

I would also make a second hunt of maybe 5-6 days in Namibia, Jeoff Lamprecht and his family are tops...different trophies and another great experience.

Make sure your Outfitter has good fees/rates for dip, pack and documentation of trophies. You can really get skinned here...then on Air Shipping, then on US clearance...the rates run the gamut and you can clear yourself and save a bundle!!...except for pigs and primates, requires a Vet to clear Dept of Ag. PM me if I can assist in this arena...I have been vocal on this...and just had another go around on the last trip SA/Namibia wrapping up the SCI African 29....all little stuff.
Good Luck.

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard!
My first African hunt was a 7 day Eastern Cape package hunt with JP Kleinhans in 2002. It was a great experience, cost effective, but a bit short. Thing is, RSA daily rates are very cheap, so once you've paid for your transport, extending your stay just a bit will allow you to relax a bit, pursue other trophies, sight-see, or whatever. All at minimal expense. After 18 or so hours in coach and an 8 hour time shift, hitting the ground running won't let you enjoy the trip nearly as much. By the time you start feeling halfway normal, your hunt is half over. The only thing I would change about that trip would be to make it two or three days longer. http://www.jpkleinhanssafaris.com/

After hunting with JP in RSA and later Mozambique, I've gone and gotten bitten by the dangerous game bug, and gotten hooked on elephant hunting. I've been fortunate to get hooked up with CM Safaris. The new Hammond Ranch concession mentioned above would be a fantastic option for plains game.
http://www.cmsafaris.com/
I'd really encourage a 10 day trip. You'll not regret it.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
First, the ten day crowd is right. It is too far to travel to only hunt 5 to 7 days.

Second, if you go to RSA or Namibia, make sure that you shoot the country specific species while you are there. If you're in Nam. be sure to try for Mountain Zebra and Dikdik. If you're in RSA, make sure to hunt Black Wildebeest, blesbok, rhebok, nyala, etc. Both countries would offer gemsbok, springbok, steenbok, and several others that are not available in some of the more northern countries.

Third, there's nothing wrong with getting a deal, but there can be trade offs that go with getting a deal. Sometimes a deal means lesser accommodations, lesser food and drink, smaller parcels of land, smaller animals, green PH, etc, etc, etc. Getting too caught up in the deal can lead to a bad safari. It happens across the board, but I hear more horror stories from hunters that booked a hunt with the lowest bidder. Invariably, they return, pay more, and have a better hunt. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Two bad hunts always cost more than one good one.

Fourth, I'll throw you a curve ball here . . . consider the Save Valley Conservancy in Zimbabwe. 800k acres of big five country and loads of PG. You could book with Roger Whittal Safaris and hunt the HUGE Humani ranch for all manner of plains game. Kudu, eland, wildebeest, bushbuck, waterbuck, duiker, impala, warthog, bushpig, klipspringer, nyala, grysbok, giraffe, night species and small cats to name a few. The benefit I see here is that you can hunt PG and pay PG rates in a wild area that boasts the big five. In fact, you may see all of the big five while you are there. Lions roaring and elephants trumpeting lets you know that you are in Africa.

What really matters is that you go. Seems that you are on the right track there.

My $.02

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Will said almost verbatum what I tell clients requesting info on a first PG safari. RSA, Namibia, Botswana all offer excellent PG hunts, with beautiful accommodations. They are loads of fun and the hunitng can be challenging. On the other hand if your interested in a wilder expereince where you might bump an elephant herd while tracking your kudu Zim and Mozambique can offer that at PG rates. These hunts can be offered on large tracks of unfenced land and there will be no doubt you are in wild Africa.

Like several others have recommended I think 10 days should be your minimum and if you can't afford that wait a year and put a little more money aside. The trip over and back cost the same regardless of how long you stay.

I've personally hunted PG in all these countries and had clients there. If I can provide any information on anything please let me know.

Good luck with your search.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
+1

The experience is more than just the number and types of animals you hunt. The experience is being in Africa. Close your eyes and imagine what being in Africa means for you. If that includes Elephants, Lions, Hyenas singing their songs then heed Mark & Wills advice.

I also echo the suggestion of spending as many days as financially possible. The flight is long and it's worth spending as long as you can where ever you choose to go.

Trust me, when you hit Africa you will never leave thinking I wish I would have left sooner.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Tons of good information above. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have not matter how simple you think they may be.

We have all been in your shoes and planning that first trip over can get overwhelming when you start taking it all in.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 884 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi John, PM sent.
Good luck!
John

Posts: 64 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With Quote