Tools

Dallas convention: AR Hotel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quackgr:
We are interested in coming to Dallas Safari Club convention in 2010. Have been a member of the AR forum for 3-4 years but don't post much. We have been to Africa once and are hoping to go again. We would like more info on the hotel and AR get-together.
Gerald C

This was a post that described the qualifications to attend back several years ago. They are tongue-in-cheek, of course, and everyone is invited.

Here are the rules to come to the AR party:

YOUR OFFICIAL INVITATION

Please consider this your invite to the fourth (or fifth) anal (sic and sick) gathering of Friends of Accurate Reloading and Africaphiles during the Dallas Safari Club Convention, Dallas, TX, USA a/k/a the home of Debbie (great movie, huh?)..

Of course, there will be several other "unofficial" get togethers of AR folks during the long weekend. Retreever and others will dine together on Friday evening. About 4:00 a.m. on Saturday morning following, several folks will meet for a short worship service to the porcelain goddess, size of gathering depending on number beverages consumed the evening before. Rusty, Mac and others will met at Mims' booth and make fun of him several times a day. All of us will go see George at Champlins and drool.

But, this is a fun time to see bunches of folks who post here and talk about plans and memories of hunting AFRICA...

Here's the deal, again, for those who read the thread months ago:

We started these parties several years ago in my suite at the Marriott, but they got touchy about folks jumping out of the third floor windows and shooting a .500 Jeffery at the "charging" luggage carts in the lobby. (Actually, they wanted a "pouring fee" even if we brought our own booze and the room rate went out of sight.) So we moved to the Comfort Inn and found a medium sized banquet room for $125, roaches included, I guess.... It starts at 5:00 p.m. and lingers on until 7:30 A.M.

Qualifications for entrance to party

1. You must have a written or oral invitation unless you didn't get one or lost yours
2. You must be a member of AR or know some one who is not
3. You must comport yourself as a gentleman (citizens of Texas and Arkansas exempted)
4. You must bring something with you? At our ages, clothes are not optional. The more the better unless you are a trophy wife.
5. You must recognize that there might be a place to bitch about personalities on AR, but this party isn't it. Kind of like Christmas Even on the Western Front.
6. Wives are more than welcome. So are girlfriends. Anyone who upsets a lady will take the place of the luggage cart.
7. Tony can't call anyone "Bolt Action Trash"
8. An adequete supply of liquor, wine and beer will be provided, but you are somewhat encouraged to byob. It's a tradition if you have a special single malt or special regional bourbon or naked table dancer to bring it (or her) and share. Retreever will bring some sausage, I reckon??, others, jerky or biltong?? I've already got a guy bring chips, etc.
8. If you want to help, send me a p.m. If you don't want to help, I'll send a b.m. to you.
9. A bucket will be provide to cover costs and either you can contribute or not, but you must do one or the other.
10. Last year we had between 80 and 100 Africaphiles show up. If you are not going to come, please give us no notice of the same so we can plan for your absence. There was only one fight last year and that was when .30/06 went into the ladies room, but I think that's all forgiven now and we don't talk about a police office getting beat up by a 95 lb. lady. If you make fun of him, you, too, become the luggage cart.
11. There will be a short birthday celebration. If you don't know the history, you won't care, and if you do and have a qualm, just grin and bear it. It was just fine last year, btw. Just remember 107 years is a long time to be alive and make up fantastic stuff.

Again, keep this invite because you will not be admitted without it unless you don't have it. There is an exception if you have attended before or this is your first time.

If you have a favorite P.H., invite him or her. You'll find this simple party to be a little different atmosphere and a place where they can get out of the Convention Hall and talk to a client or prospective client one-on-one without fifty folks looking over their shoulders. I think we had about five last year. Let's get 10 this time.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick response. Sounds like fun! Do we have a special rate & contact person at Comfort Inn for room reservations? Thanks,
Gerald C

posted Hide Post
Made our reservations for the hotel and are looking forward to meeting some of you folks and going to the Dallas SCI convention for the first time. Went to Reno once and have been on one safari in South Africa--plains game hunt. Looking forward to going again.
Rosemary C, wife of Gerald C

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
My youngest daughter (student at U of GA) just called and is flying in on Friday after classes for her first Dallas Safari Club convention.

I need a layout of the vendors so I can put the furs and clothes off limits.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
My youngest daughter (student at U of GA) just called and is flying in on Friday after classes for her first Dallas Safari Club convention.

I need a layout of the vendors so I can put the furs and clothes off limits.

Boy Judge, that's sounds very dangerous to me, having a college girl around all those clothes and jewelry? Eeker

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'm really more worried about the young P.H.'s.

BTW, what is the cost of taxidermy for one of those guys if I have to shoot one?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, what is the cost of taxidermy for one of those guys if I have to shoot one?

My taxidermist has daughters, I am sure he would be sympathetic and cut you a very fair deal!

Big Grin

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge, when did the Sat gathering end at 7:30 PM more like 7:30 AM, eh. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
When my daughter decided to come. Big Grin

Thanks for pointing out my typo! I've corrected it above in bold.

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
From; Die Ou Jagter

quote:
Just spoke with the Comfort Inn. I have blocked 15 rooms for our group at $99+ tax. I have the conference room reserved for the 9th so we won't have the problem from last year. When you call for res tell the either Ed Seager or Accurate Reloading. I told them I hoped we would have the res booked within the next couple of weeks so if we need more they will have rooms available. Hopefully we will have the 15 or even more as they are giving us the conference room rent free.

I just double checked my reservations and was told I had several more rooms resevered under my name Eeker I had the extra rooms cancelled as I only need the two rooms for myself and Tom. I suggest somebody check with the Hotel and make sure everything is in order. Also if you are a :ChoicePrivileges" member you get a cheaper rate. Part of this looks to be my fault as I had booked my own rooms, but told the hotel when I did that I was part of the AR Group? Hopefully this can be cleared up so everyone gets a room that needs one Confused

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge

If you do not want to taxidermy someone that you need to deal with that is bothering your daughter let me know....

I still have a some places that we can dispose of a few bodies... diggin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Tony:

Thanks for the offer. I have emasculated lots of eventual steers in my youth when I worked on a cattle operation. I may not need you.

In any event, I look forward to you and your beautiful wife meeting my Africaphile daughter. She will do well to meet a lady like yours who loves to hunt and is an independent woman, regardless if her husband owns a Blaser. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
update, I'll be arriving Thursday rather than Friday. I assume that you purchase admission tickets, for the show, at the door?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes and you can buy more than one day but no discount.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are looking forward to seeing all of you again this year.
Being as the convention has changed locations we are not sure where everyone is located but our booth numbers are 1637 and 1638 which is a corner and appears to be in the middle of the convention floor.
We will be there with Tuffpak toys as per usual.
Happy Turkey to everyone!
Mims

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
We are looking forward to seeing all of you again this year.
Being as the convention has changed locations we are not sure where everyone is located but our booth numbers are 1637 and 1638 which is a corner and appears to be in the middle of the convention floor.
We will be there with Tuffpak toys as per usual.
Happy Turkey to everyone!
Mims

And I will be sure to come by and kid you about selling mine twice!

I hope you'll have some of the take-down models???

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on having AR handles on name tags so we won't pester people by asking who they are?

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite a few of us already have name tags from previous years. Anyone remember who arranged for the tags before ? All I remember is the first year I attended, I reported back to the write-in auction area, asked about where I should pick up my AR name tags, & then someone came up from behind, put his hand on my shoulder, pointed up toward the ceiling at an object about 10 yards away, & began telling me about shooting an elephant in the brain at that distance. It was Retreever, & that was the first time I met him.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Attending the DSC banquet first but would like to attend afterwards ? , 2 PH's and wives
Thanks
Graeme

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbanger:
Any thoughts on having AR handles on name tags so we won't pester people by asking who they are?

Can you order an AR hat with your name monogramed upon it? I know that lots of us have Double Rifle Shooters Society hats with names???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MY AR cap has my handle on the back, but don't wear it any more since Craig put his John Hancock on it and they banned me from this board for 3 months, I won't go there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge G,
I have the take down cases in stock and will make sure I have one at DSC with your name on it.
Happy Turkey!!!

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
This is hardly on subject, Hary, but what is the max length for the take down case? I might be picking up a 22" barrel Ruger 77 at the show and will take it apart and put it in the case if it will fit?????

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge G.. the Takedown Tuffpak is 32" inside height and 11" dia.
See you shortly!

One of Us
Picture of Penetrater
posted Hide Post
OK ,got booked into the Embassy Suites Dallas - Market Center ,7th thru the 10th. looking foward to seeing everyone .

Posts: 132 | Location: oklahoma city ,oklahoma ,usa | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Pam and I are headed to Dallas! We arrive on Thursday night and leave Sunday afternoon. Room reserved at the Comfort Inn. We're in for both the Friday night dinner and the Saturday night party. See y'all there!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really wish I could make it, but I am leaving that same weekend to come back to Guam.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm really more worried about the young P.H.'s.

Judge, That should be the least of your worries! Bal is a single man now and has been on a mission ever since! Watch him VERY closely!!!! shocker

Myself, Bal and Chris Hughes plan to attend the party. See yall soon!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It getting close; I'm more excited about the DSC show than Christmas. Also, if anyone will be needing a ride from the airport while we're in Dallas, send us an E-Mail (joycebeller@msn.com) in the next couple of weeks so Joyce can be ready with a pick-up schedule. We've already heard from butchloc & his wife.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the party and meeting you all, I think.

We will be in booth 2037. Come by and visit.

Wayne

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I booked a room this morning at the Comfort Suite for the convention. There is at least one a smoking king still available for any other procrastinators like me.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I know there are defenite festivities on Fri and Sat, but the National Championship game is on Thursday night. I am coming in Wed evening, and leaving on a 7PM flight after the show on Friday. That only leaves me 2 days at the show. Does anyone have any plans or suggestions for Thursday night and the big game?

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
... Does anyone have any plans or suggestions for Thursday night and the big game?

Though only a fool would not love Texas and Texans, I suggest that you wear no orange unless you wish to sulk and weep!

Roll Tide, Roll!

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Judge...I agree. I am an SEC guy all the way, but I am not crazy enough to voice that in Dallas...especially on that night.

Though I must say...if a non-SEC team has to win, I don't dislike Mack Brown and the horns...

Would like to get together with some of you guys somewhere and watch the game...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I won't get there until Friday morning. Alas! I'd have enjoyed drinking your bought whiskey and quietly enjoying the angst of the Texans...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to uphold my image "Hook'em Horns", truth be told I don't really care as I don't have a dog in this fight, wish I did. See you in Dallas. I am doing something great Thur eve, having dinner at Tim Love's Lonesome Dove Western Bestro with Joyce and some other guys. dancing

One of Us
Picture of infinito
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Judge...I agree. I am an SEC guy all the way, but I am not crazy enough to voice that in Dallas...especially on that night.

Though I must say...if a non-SEC team has to win, I don't dislike Mack Brown and the horns...

Would like to get together with some of you guys somewhere and watch the game...

Tim, I always wanted to watch the game with an American. PM your cellphone number and we'll make a plan to watch it somewhere. I believe there are others that will join as well.

I'm also staying at the Comfort Inn, and still seeing if I will make it to the Dinner....duty comes first, and I do not know what my hosts over there have planned for me!

Charl van Rooyen
Owner
Infinito Travel Group
www.infinito-safaris.com
charl@infinito-safaris.com
Cell: +27 78 444 7661
Tel: +27 13 262 4077
Fax:+27 13 262 3845
Hereford Street 28A
Groblersdal
Limpopo
R.S.A.

"For the Infinite adventure"

Plains Game
Dangerous Game
Bucket List Specialists
Wing-Shooting
In House Taxidermy Studio
In House Dip and Pack Facility
In House Shipping Service
Non-Hunting Tours and Safaris
Flight bookings

"I promise every hunter visiting us our personal attention from the moment we meet you, until your trophies hang on your wall. Our all inclusive service chain means you work with one person (me) taking responsibility during the whole process. Affordable and reputable Hunting Safaris is our game! With a our all inclusive door to door service, who else do you want to have fun with?"

South Africa
Tanzania
Uganda

Posts: 2018 | Location: South Africa,Tanzania & Uganda | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote