THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    WHY THE WEALTHY CAN'T HELP THE AFRICAN SAFARI
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHY THE WEALTHY CAN'T HELP THE AFRICAN SAFARI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted
First of all let me start by saying I donot begrudge a man for having wealth...I (we)wish we did as well. But in the last several years the African Safari (especially DG) has gotten further out of reach for the average hunter. Governments see a cash cow and raise fees that Outfitters have to pass on and (wealthy)people seem willing to pay. So what you say. Well here's the problem. When hunting becomes the sport of the well heeled it looses support of the masses and when hunting is threatened there is little support for something that the average Joe will never be able to afford. Look at countries where hunting has been the privlege of the well to do. They have for the most part, lost their hunting tradition all together. Kenya Botswana and followed soon by others will see more value in wildlife "viewing" than hunting because where will be more support for viewing and little for hunting. Lion hunting will soon be a thing of the past ...of that there is little doubt because 20 tourists taking pictures has more value than one trophy hunter. The answer....I don't know but I certainly applaude those who try to keep the prices realistic and affordable. I have been blessed by being able to go on an splendid African Hunting Safari after many years of saving and it makes me sad that those who truely love the Hunt may never get the chance of this greatest of expreiences.

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
And what has the increase in the prices of hunting got to do with the wealthy?

The price of any commodity is governed by demand. Obviously there many people who do go on safari to Africa.

If there wasn't, the price would come down, or there will be no hunting at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
IMHO, there have been more reasonable hunts offered by more top outfits in the last couple of years because of economic conditions then I have seen in the last decade. African hunts are relatively good deals compared to some North American hunts... the big difference is the costs (travel, dip & pack, shipping and gratuities) that are associated with hunting overseas.

I have found that if a man of reasonable means wants to hunt Africa, he can find an economical way to do so... I am living proof.

And don't forget the outfitter is not a 501(c)9 charity, he has to pay bills and make a living for his family and the families of those who work for him. Outside of Tanzania and some of the specialty hunts like LDE, bongo, mountain nyala, lion, most hunts aren't as expensive as you make it sound. Heck, elephant are as cheap as they have ever been in my memory.

So look around, comparison shop and wait to hunt later in the season, there are deals to be had... I hope you find the right one for you. The African itch always has to be scratched!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You Missed the point ...prices affect support. No universal support means no hunting in the long term. As long as people continue to pay, prices will go up. Compared to wildlife viewing and the income it generates, hunting is just a drop in the bucket. Can the wealthy hunt tigers? No matter how much money you have when it can't be hunted it CAN'T be hunted. Iam NOT trying to offend the wealthy. And like I said I don't have the answer it just saddens me.

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I think that if you analysed the overall costs of an early safari of the 20s/30s/40s etc in relation to now and then compared both to average incomes, you'd probably find that the costs have in fact got cheaper rather than more expensive. Certainly far more working Joes can afford Africa now than they could then.

In the old days a hunter would be away from work & home for months at a time. His journey would start with a cruise to Africa that would take weeks and then he'd spend months rather than days or weeks hunting before he boarded his ship to go home.

Nowadays, we have an aircraft that will whizz you across the world in hours instead of days or weeks and for a lot less money (percentage of income wise) and hunts start from a couple of hundred dollars a day and the majority of hunters nowadays probably shoot far more on a per day basis than many shot in a per week basis in the old days.

The fact is that any luxury product costs money and also that any safari company has to turn a profit to stay in business but I'd bet that profit margins for safari companies, esp those that operate at the lower, aforementioned end of the scale are far lower than most other businesses, esp most other businesses in the western world.

Unfortunately the recent(ish) financial crash has meant there's a lot less fun money around for most people but we need to blame that on our politicians and bankers rather than anyone else.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Chris,

I agree the more hunters we have the better.

I do not understand if you are trying to say the wealthy should pay more or the outfitters should charge less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
... the big difference is the costs (travel, dip & pack, shipping and gratuities) that are associated with hunting overseas.

Since the Hunt can not be done without those things they are in fact part of the cost of the hunt. Airfare is going to cost you $2,000, dip and pack $700, Shipping home $2,000, and tip of $1,200 and up.

Right there ALONE you are looking at $5,900 not including any of the "hunt" costs. You can go on a very nice mule deer, bear, whitetail, or elk hunt for the $6,000. So no, Africa does not cost a similiar amount to what you can hunt in North America. All said and done a regular plains game hunt in Africa costs a hell of a lot more then pretty much any hunt in North America.

Africa is a magical place and worth a premium but cheaper then North American hunting it CERTAINLY is not.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the approximate numbers might be (perhaps some African countries have reliable statistics) but my guess is that more people now travel and hunt in Africa than ever before. I don't think we should regret that. In fact, it's the only thing that makes African governments pay attention to hunting as a conservation measure.

I think the notion that fewer people hunt in Africa because of current costs is erroneous, the figment of someone's imagination or perhaps just ignorance.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
All said and done a regular plains game hunt in Africa costs a hell of a lot more then pretty much any hunt in North America.

Africa is a magical place and worth a premium but cheaper then North American hunting it CERTAINLY is not.

That has not been my experience. Comparing total costs, my plains game hunt in Namibia was almost exactly as much as my elk hunt in Colorado. The African hunt was 2x as long and included 4 animals instead of one.

To me, it was a much better deal.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris E Nelson:
First of all let me start by saying I donot begrudge a man for having wealth...I (we)wish we did as well. But in the last several years the African Safari (especially DG) has gotten further out of reach for the average hunter. Governments see a cash cow and raise fees that Outfitters have to pass on and (wealthy)people seem willing to pay. So what you say. Well here's the problem. When hunting becomes the sport of the well heeled it looses support of the masses and when hunting is threatened there is little support for something that the average Joe will never be able to afford. Look at countries where hunting has been the privlege of the well to do. They have for the most part, lost their hunting tradition all together. Kenya Botswana and followed soon by others will see more value in wildlife "viewing" than hunting because where will be more support for viewing and little for hunting. Lion hunting will soon be a thing of the past ...of that there is little doubt because 20 tourists taking pictures has more value than one trophy hunter. The answer....I don't know but I certainly applaude those who try to keep the prices realistic and affordable. I have been blessed by being able to go on an splendid African Hunting Safari after many years of saving and it makes me sad that those who truely love the Hunt may never get the chance of this greatest of expreiences.

One of the negatives of special interest sites on the interent is that it is populated by lots of what I call 1%ers. 1%ers are the most extreme and passionate people in a particular hoobby sport etc. In reality the vast majority of the people in the world won't travel to Africa. Most Hunters won't pay more then $1,000 to hunt ANYTHING. You come to a site like this and you see guys who go every year or more and you think that is normal, it isn't.

In reality most people can't afford to ever go to Africa. I couldn't name one person, NOT ONE, in my town that has hunted in Africa and has some Afircan mounts hanging in their house. Hell I was asked to do a talk on my trip by a local public TV station because one of my clients thought it was so rare and unique.

I will be back to Africa and hopefully more then just a couple of more times but I realize that it is not normal and it is a luxury purchase in the extreme.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla69:
quote:
All said and done a regular plains game hunt in Africa costs a hell of a lot more then pretty much any hunt in North America.

That has not been my experience. Comparing total costs, my plains game hunt in Namibia was almost exactly as much as my elk hunt in Colorado. The African hunt was 2x as long and included 4 animals instead of one.

To me, it was a much better deal.

Elk Hunt

Flight:$500
Tag:$800
Camp just North of Yellowstone: $5,500
Flying meat home $300
Taxidermy of Elk and shipping home: $1,725
Tips: $600
All in about $8,900

Namibia Hunt
Flight: $2,000
Daily rate: $400 per day x 10 days
Trophy fee for 4 animals: $3,000
Dip and pack: $500
Shipping home: $2,000
Taxidermy of 4 African Animals: $3,500
Tips: $800
Total cost today: $15,750

That ain't cheaper. Sure your per animal cost comes in cheaper but the whole hunt costs a lot more.

If you could drive to your NA hunt it knocks off more then a $1,000 and if you are in state hunting that could save you $500 more.

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:

That ain't cheaper. Sure your per animal cost comes in cheaper but the whole hunt costs a lot more.

Your elk hunt was cheaper than mine.

Your Namibian trip was much more expensive than mine.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on guys. Really? Any of you remember Micro or Macro Econ 101?

SUPPLY AND DEMAND!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as there is a high demand for hunting the Big 4-5-6 (classify as you wish) and as long as there is limited quota's the prices will go up.

If the demand drops the price will also drop as now there will be a surplus.

It works for houses, cars etc. The Big 5 demands a premium because there is not as many lions as there is Impala. If there was everyone would have a Lion on there wall instead of a impala.

So what everyone has to do is stop booking hunts so the prices drop.

Then I will book more (so I can take advantage of the savings!)

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, you guys are getting ripped off on your elk hunts.

My past elk hunts.

Gas - $60

Elk Tag - $20

One Cartridge - $2

Freezer Paper - $20

Total - $102

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

posted Hide Post
You can't compare Elk with Eland in Africa for plains game. It just doesn't get better than Africa, ask anyone who wants to hunt, they would love to hunt Africa. Demand makes the price, and Africa is at the top for al hunters. I’m not saying that any other country does not need to be hunted but everyone does want to hunt Africa at some stage.

Posts: 6 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:
Come on guys. Really? Any of you remember Micro or Macro Econ 101?

SUPPLY AND DEMAND!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as there is a high demand for hunting the Big 4-5-6 (classify as you wish) and as long as there is limited quota's the prices will go up.

If the demand drops the price will also drop as now there will be a surplus.

It works for houses, cars etc. The Big 5 demands a premium because there is not as many lions as there is Impala. If there was everyone would have a Lion on there wall instead of a impala.

So what everyone has to do is stop booking hunts so the prices drop.

Then I will book more (so I can take advantage of the savings!)

Yes and no.

African hunts could be done for less with the PH and safari company making just as much money. I'll even be niave enough to think some hunters might prefer what I'm about to suggest.

Hunts could easily have their luxuries reduced, less tents, no extra buildings, 1 tracker, 1 PH and 1 skinner. Do it in more of a exploring Africa method then a Teddy Roosevelt traveling hotel hunts. Less gear, less maintance, less upfront capital, less labor costs, lower food costs all lead to a less expensive Safari and a more rugged adventure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going, you want to do it right.

The issue I have is the difference on the Per Diem between Dangerous and non-dangerous Game hunts, and the minimum days for them. What happens if you shoot your buff or ele on the second day?

It's still the grandest adventure on earth. I hope to return two more times...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never said it was cheaper. But have you priced a grizzly/moose combo in Alaska? Or Bighorn in the Canadian Rockies. Elk on White Mountain? If you compare apples to apples, and admittedly it is hard to do so, you can favorably compare a $5000 mule deer hunt in the West to a $5000 plains game hunt... differences include cost of travel associated with Africa but are negated by the number of animals you can hunt in the $5000 PG package (usually 4 to 5). I am not taking one side or the other and I hunt more days in N.A. than I do in Africa... but I find most African hunting to be just as reasonable as hunting in North America.

In your example of the elk hunt vs. Namibian plains game hunt if you divided the four animals taken on the hunt to the one animal (elk) shot on the Wyoming hunt, you could take the tact that each animal only cost you approximately $4000 to "shoot and stuff". And on most African hunts you only pay for what you shoot... there are few arrangements like that in N.A. But we can split hairs all day. In the end, I disagree with the generalization that all African hunters are wealthy. In my small community of 65,000 I can name a couple of dozen folks who have hunted Africa. It gets back to how bad you really want to go and the sacrifices you make to get there...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Point completely lost here on what Chris was trying to say. He was merely stating that "WHEN" not "IF", and it will happen, that the total number of hunters will be so reduced by this economic fact that there will be insuffcient numbers to ward off the antis. End result, little or no hunting for "ANYONE" including the wealthy.

Don't think this thread was intended to be a comparison of NA vs Africa hunting and cost/value of each? Simply put, when only the wealthy can afford to hunt, there won't be any hunting left.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I think that if you analysed the overall costs of an early safari of the 20s/30s/40s etc in relation to now and then compared both to average incomes, you'd probably find that the costs have in fact got cheaper rather than more expensive. Certainly far more working Joes can afford Africa now than they could then.

In the old days a hunter would be away from work & home for months at a time. His journey would start with a cruise to Africa that would take weeks and then he'd spend months rather than days or weeks hunting before he boarded his ship to go home.

Nowadays, we have an aircraft that will whizz you across the world in hours instead of days or weeks and for a lot less money (percentage of income wise) and hunts start from a couple of hundred dollars a day and the majority of hunters nowadays probably shoot far more on a per day basis than many shot in a per week basis in the old days.

The fact is that any luxury product costs money and also that any safari company has to turn a profit to stay in business but I'd bet that profit margins for safari companies, esp those that operate at the lower, aforementioned end of the scale are far lower than most other businesses, esp most other businesses in the western world.

Unfortunately the recent(ish) financial crash has meant there's a lot less fun money around for most people but we need to blame that on our politicians and bankers rather than anyone else.

Steve,

What you say is true for the time periods you use. However, compare it to the '60's and early '70's when the safari boom really started with air travel and it is a different story. I know because I hunted Tanzania, Kenya, Sudan, and the CAE in the early '70's and Zambia later 1/2 of '70's. No comparison with today's inflated costs. Disagree if you want,but that's where I stand.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you're talking dollar for dollar I'd agree with you but if you allow for inflation etc and work it on a percentage of income, I'd have thought it would be cheaper now than it was then...... I haven't done the maths though, so I could be wrong. Wink

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have got to agree with bwanamrm on this one. Dangerous game is expensive, but my last african hunt, I went on was a plains game hunt--

Cost:
Plane ticket: used miles-- I pay all my bills every month with a American Express/ Delta card
Cost: $35

Day Rate: $200 a day-- I got a late season deal from a great outfitter. Last year was slow for there operation and I went late in Sept--Cost $ 1800

I took-- Impala $400, Tessebee $ 850( I shot a old worn down bull--a trophy for me but not a book bull for shure) Zebra $1300, Tip of $700 for staff, PH and Cook.

My trip all together was about $5100. I had a great time was treated like a king and saw another part of the world. I will do it again. I'll be back June 25th- July 4th to hunt with http://www.spiralhorn.co.za/ again. My hunt will cost quite a bit more but I see value in it.

I just got thru doing a nice Nilgai hunt. $2200 for a one day hunt--and killed a great bull. I get the meat and like it, but compared to my Africa trip-- I'd do Africa everytime!

Shop around, but dont cheap out either, just like my Tessebee bull, they are usually around 1500-2500 dollars-- but every now and again they need to take somthing off and you get to be the right place at the right time!

I know there are alot of guys that make Alot more money than I do every year saying they cannot afford it. If you want to go-- find a way!

By null at 2010-09-13

By null at 2010-09-13

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari hunting is feasible for more people now than in past generations, due to rapid transport and economic growth. That being said, safari hunting is now forced to compete with game viewing for the same shrinking resource. There is a risk. If we could predict the future we'd all be rich.
I'd never thought of myself as a "one percenter" before. I guess we are that. It makes a fellow proud....

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Nelson:

What is it you propose? This matter is complex and includes such variables as African governments attitudes. For example , ever priced a vehicle in the US and priced the same vehicle in Africa? Another is concession fees and trophy fees charged by the government.

Africa can be far less exensive than North America . For example , I took an elephant, a buff and a few plains game animals in Zim in October for about half what I paid for a desert big horn hunt in Utah.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As others have said, it is simple economics. I do not believe the fact that there are "haves" and "have nots" is going to damage hunting. The fact that I cannot afford to drive a Ferrari is not the death knell of the automotive industry.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Mr Nelson:

What is it you propose? This matter is complex and includes such variables as African governments attitudes. For example , ever priced a vehicle in the US and priced the same vehicle in Africa? Another is concession fees and trophy fees charged by the government.

This is the most insightful comment on this thread.
My $.02 - Mr. Nelson seems to be saying "the sky is blue (obviously). For pure value, today's African Safaris provide more bang for the buck than any guided American hunt - the quantities of available game, the variety of available game, the facilities, and even the quality of the guides far surpass "most" North American outfitters. I do not say this to denigrate N.A. outfitters. There are many fine ones. But they pale in comparison to the sheer numbers of high-quality Central and Southern Africa outfitters.
One can have a fantastic multi-species hunt in either RSA or Namibia for less than $7K including air.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
If you're talking dollar for dollar I'd agree with you but if you allow for inflation etc and work it on a percentage of income, I'd have thought it would be cheaper now than it was then...... I haven't done the maths though, so I could be wrong. Wink

Do the math on approx. $2450.00, Tanzania, 1972,including air fare and trophy fees, elephant, lion, 3 buff, kudu, eland,sable, 3 impala, reedbuck, 3 w hogs and whatnot in addition, Or the Sudan, $180.00,/day, 21 days,
3 elephant,roan,reedbucks, w-hogs,miss. stuff such as Mongalia gazzella, ostrich, turned down leopards and a black momba, all in with air fare approx $5000.00.
No taxidermy included, packing included, freight extra, but cheap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Point completely lost here on what Chris was trying to say. He was merely stating that "WHEN" not "IF", and it will happen, that the total number of hunters will be so reduced by this economic fact that there will be insuffcient numbers to ward off the antis. End result, little or no hunting for "ANYONE" including the wealthy.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

I have to agree with you, large numbers carry weight, small numbers, very little impact on gov't rules.

As I see it a lot of the "up push" in prices is demand and greedy African Gov'ts.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Saeed is correct.

The laws of supply and demand dictate the cost of an African safari, as they do most things that can be bought with money.

It's a fact of life that, because demand exceeds supply for many such things, including the best African safaris, the price of such things goes up, and the pool of potential purchasers is limited to those with substantial means.

But that's how it's always been. African safaris are no exception.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congradulations Larry Sellers you got the point!!!!!Who do you think Botswana will listen to...a few hundred hunters or several thousand "wildlife viewers"(who also spend alot of money) when it closes down hunting. People like Jeff Rann Johann Cowlitz just move on to the next place (like Mozembque)but soon there could be no more places to move to. It's all about numbers money and the pressure put to bear on the powers that be and like it or not we hunters have less and less influence as years go by

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
I have got to agree with bwanamrm on this one. Dangerous game is expensive, but my last african hunt, I went on was a plains game hunt--

Cost:
Plane ticket: used miles-- I pay all my bills every month with a American Express/ Delta card
Cost: $35

Day Rate: $200 a day-- I got a late season deal from a great outfitter. Last year was slow for there operation and I went late in Sept--Cost $ 1800

I took-- Impala $400, Tessebee $ 850( I shot a old worn down bull--a trophy for me but not a book bull for shure) Zebra $1300, Tip of $700 for staff, PH and Cook.

My trip all together was about $5100. I had a great time was treated like a king and saw another part of the world. I will do it again. I'll be back June 25th- July 4th to hunt with http://www.spiralhorn.co.za/ again. My hunt will cost quite a bit more but I see value in it.

I just got thru doing a nice Nilgai hunt. $2200 for a one day hunt--and killed a great bull. I get the meat and like it, but compared to my Africa trip-- I'd do Africa everytime!

Shop around, but dont cheap out either, just like my Tessebee bull, they are usually around 1500-2500 dollars-- but every now and again they need to take somthing off and you get to be the right place at the right time!

I know there are alot of guys that make Alot more money than I do every year saying they cannot afford it. If you want to go-- find a way!

By null at 2010-09-13

By null at 2010-09-13

Your ticket did not cost you $35 dollars, while you chose to use your Amex points for African Airfare you could have used them for something else. 100,000 Amex points needed for airfare has a cash value of roughly $1,000 so your flight actually cost $1,035. Sometimes you need 150,000 points.

Did you shoot and leave your animals? Did you ship anything back? Did you have any taxidermy done? Did you get a day room or stay overnight anywhere on the way? Buy any meals on the way? Rifle or ammo permit or tax? Rifle transfer help in South Africa?

People are very selective in adding up their Safari costs and never seem to consider opportunity costs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my own benefit, who establishes trophy fees in the various African countries? Is this a function of the country or is it established by the professional hunters in that country? Are some of the monies remitted to landowner as a percentage? How does this work?

I have no problem with daily fees. They have always seemed reasonable. Frankly, excepting fees on dangerous game, most African fees are fairly reasonable.

I think we can point blame regarding costs on other issues such as inflated airfares which was evidenced by increased costs during the World Cup last June in South Africa. I raised my own costs simply by getting almost everything mounted that I shot. Eliminate excessive taxidermy costs and expenses drop.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of stuff in this post, but my first thought is that I agree with Chris, and I have said it over and over. However, my concern is not with Africa but with hunting in the US. It blows my mind that famous outdoor writers still support US Outfitters, a group that sued our state to overturn a limit on non-resident licenses. What was in it for USO? Money, and lots of it. If successful, AZ would have simply raised their non-resident license tags (and licenses, reqd to get a preference point) to the stratosphere, similar to your home state, Chris Nelson. That would have left only wealthy hunters applying for non-res AZ licenses. When Joe the Plumber in Ohio stops dreaming of elk hunting in the West, he stops buying .338 bullets, reloading supplies, etc. Eventually, when the population of hunters dwindles to a few of us, voter initiatives brought on by PETA and others will make it illegal to hunt.

On the other hand, the high price of African hunting (I am talking DG here) does mean high revenue for the ecological impact. Hunting takes place in areas where photo safarist are not inclined to visit. They want a zoo-like atmosphere, not a teste fly infested camp in the middle of nowhere. Many members of AR have gone on photo safaris, but how many have done so in remote areas?

And the post about elk vs eland was spot on: you can't compare them. A big 6 point bull elk is by far more difficult to hunt and by far a more stunning trophy, LDE excepted.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one more thing about you guys using the lame "supply and demand"excuse. I know of not a single Safari Company that books every available day it has...so the "demand" ain't there fellas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris E Nelson:
Just one more thing about you guys using the lame "supply and demand"excuse. I know of not a single Safari Company that books every available day it has...so the "demand" ain't there fellas

I was struggling to try to figure out where you were going with your post until you made this one, now I see you are one of the "poor me" crowd who has every right to hunt Africa if only those evil greedy outfitters didn't charge so much. Good luck with your quest to short circuit the "lame supply and demand model" on which all capitalistic societies are based.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
And what has the increase in the prices of hunting got to do with the wealthy?

The price of any commodity is governed by demand. Obviously there many people who do go on safari to Africa.

If there wasn't, the price would come down, or there will be no hunting at all.

Yes the demand is there and there are enough wealthy people to create that demand, simple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While its really easy for anyone to say that a price of anything is outrageous they have no idea of what is behind the cost. Being in business for myself and having a 60% overhead while people think i'm just raking it in really pisses me off. If you want to try it go it alone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, in theory it's the POOREST (or stingiest) hunter that buys the last animal on quota that sets the price, not the richest one who buys the first one on his terms. The outfitters have to set the price to sell out. To the extent that there are an overwhelming number of rich hunters, the averaage guy is going to get crowded out, but I don't think we are there yet, not by a long shot. Plains game hunting is a screaming deal, and even buff and some elephant hunts are very affordable.

Anyone who drinks beer or wine daily, or quaffs Starbucks, and or smokes cigarettes or cigars can afford a trip to Africa. Just quit these expensive habits for a couple of years and off you go.

In the past, I have offered some screaming deals on this forum and via other media, admittedly late season, and the silence has generally been deafening. So I think there is a big difference between the guys who would go if the price were right, and the guys who talk about it but don't have the initiative to grab the brass ring when it's hanging right in front of their noses.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:

In the past, I have offered some screaming deals on this forum and via other media, admittedly late season, and the silence has generally been deafening. So I think there is a big difference between the guys who would go if the price were right, and the guys who talk about it but don't have the initiative to grab the brass ring when it's hanging right in front of their noses.

I think this is spot on. I do a DIY moose hunt here in Ontario every year which, of necessity, involves hunting with at least 5 or 6 other hunters. These guys will never spend a dollar on any hunt that might involve a guide, an airplane flight, or a passport. Some of them like to maunder on about how they want to do it all themselves, have no interest in Africa, etc. The simple truth is that, almost to a man, they are nothing but talk. Many of them won't hunt alone, won't stay out until dusk, and certainly won't raise a finger to write to a newspaper or a Member of Parliament to defend the hunting lifestyle.

It is this all-too-common lack of passion or commitment, rather than any imagined price gouging, which will sound the death knell of hunting in a world where far too much passion is devoted to its abolition.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote