THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Buff hunting shot placement and penetration question

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buff hunting shot placement and penetration question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You are hunting buffalo with a 458 Lott using the 500gr Hornady DGS.You've hunted hard for a number of days and have not yet been able to get a good bull in your sights.You finally find a nice bull but the only shot you have is in the rear.Do you take the shot? Will the solid make it to the vitals?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where I am from,, we call it the Texas heart shot. I would not take a "texas heart shot" on my first shot,, my second one if it is running directly away,,, you bet. As we say here,, you got to go through lots of crap to get to anything good from that direction,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO
Maybe

Bob

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
.You finally find a nice bull

If the nice was NICE enough (like 45" or better)...yes! But...I would be shooting NF FPS's. If just a good bull...probably not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36856 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

If the nice was NICE enough (like 45" or better)...yes! But...I would be shooting NF FPS's. If just a good bull...probably not.
Are your sure the NF's will penetrate further than the DGS solids?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be patient. More than likely you will get a better shot.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
quote:

Are your sure the NF's will penetrate further than the DGS solids?

Not sure of your question above...no. But...if it can get there...a NF FNS will. And Yes...I am confident that they would penetrate that far. It might even exit.

Like Smartman said though...I would only shoot if I was sure that it would be my only chance and it was a good'un.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36856 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't using my .458 Lott, but last month a Barnes Banded Solid from my .416 Rigby went the other way -front to back- and exited from my buffalo. Second shot into the chest exited about 3" below the root of the tail and a bit off center.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2821 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
No.

I've shot three buff with what looked to be stone dead killing shots only to follow them up and finish them as they ran away (twice) or charged (once). Maybe I've had bad luck, but I believe a buff it too tough and too dangerous for marginal FIRST shots.

After the first, however, all bets are off. See black, shoot black.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no - not as first shot. But it will for sure reach the vitals and most likely exit if shot with a muzzlevel of 2200-2300 fps at typical buff hunting distance. I have shot ellies in the hip from behind with the DGS and the Barnes BS, both reached the vitals.. And went even further..

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Buff can be hard enough to kill with a good shot, so no, I have never and would never take that shot as the first shot. Be patient; he will move. I have seen Buff take an incredible number of shots before giving up the ghost.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not on a buffalo. I did shoot a going away buffalo in the butt on the first shot but I don't think it was wise. It turned out fine and the one shot killed the buffalo but I don't think I'd do it again only because we are talking a buffalo which could kill you. I think they deserve a litte more cautious approach than say a kudu or elend.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12918 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
No, I would not take such a shot as my first shot on any game animal. If the animal were wounded, then it would be a different story.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13476 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I don't think I'd do it again only because we are talking a buffalo which could kill you. I think they deserve a litte more cautious approach than say a kudu or elend.

I did not say I would recommend it to others...but...If I had a Lott in my hands with good solids (preferably NF FPS's)...and this was likely to be my ONLY chance...AND...it was a really good old mature bull of 45" or greater...I would pull the trigger.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are hunting buffalo with a 458 Lott using the 500gr Hornady DGS.You've hunted hard for a number of days and have not yet been able to get a good bull in your sights.You finally find a nice bull but the only shot you have is in the rear.Do you take the shot? Will the solid make it to the vitals?

No. I forget who that was in the video that just spent a box of ammo shooting that damn bull in Zim.

If they can't get that done with good shot presentation, how in the hell are they going to get that done shooting a buff in the ass?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Levdm,

Think about this, from the rear you would have to hit the heart or aorta (a small target at this angle) to kill the buff assuming you don't brain or spine it. If you only hit one lung which is most likely with that shot, be prepared to repel boarders.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
The first shot a Texas heart shot on a buffalo?

Sounds like a good way to have a long day of tracking.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Levdm,

Think about this, from the rear you would have to hit the heart or aorta (a small target at this angle) to kill the buff assuming you don't brain or spine it. If you only hit one lung which is most likely with that shot, be prepared to repel boarders.

465H&H

I said each to his own. John Rosenfels used to recommend that shot to clients.

Personally...as I said before...I would NOT use it except in the instance I stated. And...I have shot a couple of buff myself. Wink

But if I had that shot of a very nice buff and it was likely to be my only shot...In the words of John Rosenfels...I would "clap him up the arse".

I have actually seen a couple shot that way...as Mark has stated as well.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
P.S. I am the one being honest here!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
P.S. I am the one being honest here!
Good stuff,ledvm!

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted buffalo, so pardon me if this is a stupid question. Is it possible to go for the neck from behind? Do they raise their heads high enough or is it just too risky?
I dream of hunting Africa and this forum has really gotten my interest up.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The 'posterior shot' is also recommended among the perfect shots.
It is however unlikely that the bullet will produce an immediate killing shot given the likelihood that the bullet will hit bone first, slow down, deviate, etc. unless you score a 'hole in one' and even so the bullet has to travel through the entire intestinal mass before reaching the vital areas.
If no other more acceptable shot is available, smacking it in the rear with the primary intention of hitting the spine, breaking the pelvis and immobilizing the animal then finishing it with a follow up shot is the only other option.
A buffalo with a disabled rear end is going nowhere, much less so will it be able to offer any counter resistance.

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
NO! Not unless you like long follow ups in thick brush, blood transfusions, etc.

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are hunting buffalo with a 458 Lott using the 500gr Hornady DGS.You've hunted hard for a number of days and have not yet been able to get a good bull in your sights.You finally find a nice bull but the only shot you have is in the rear

Direct reference is being made to a 458 Lott not a 375, 416 etc.
In a 'make or break situation' with the bull 'finally in the sights' - the distance presumably not further than 60 yards and assuming a scope is part of the hardware,

A high shot on the pelvis or spine will put that buffalo down for keeps and the shooter is expected to score from that distance - if he can't he has no business being there!

It is a shot that has been performed many times by many hunters with the desired end results - however, a botched shot from any angle is a botched shot.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Armchair Bwana here!.....Let us say it is a wounded buffalo (not mortally wounded but just killing mad wounded) - that I get to see before he sees me. I would have thought that a shot into the base of the tail would drop him.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Armchair Bwana here!.....Let us say it is a wounded buffalo (not mortally wounded but just killing mad wounded) - that I get to see before he sees me. I would have thought that a shot into the base of the tail would drop him.

A shot from a 458 Lott at the base of the tail or designated pelvic area will take the legs from under and 'peg it' to the spot regardless it being wounded or not.

Whether you want to take this shot is of a personal choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking that shot as a first shot would just show a total lack of respect and consideration for the poor sods that would probably have to risk their necks on the follow up.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
Taking that shot as a first shot would just show a total lack of respect and consideration for the poor sods that would probably have to risk their necks on the follow up.

Just goes to show how much some people know about a buffalo's anatomy and shot placement.
Bust his rear end and you won't be following him anywhere because he's flat on the deck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 400-inch Elk in the timber at 300yds with my Elk rifle, yes!
A 45-inch Buffalo in the Jess with my DG rifle or the Lott --NO!
Aint arguing shot placement that could put him on the ground stone cold dead....arguing about how many "clients" excited by the PH saying "SHOOT! SHOOT! He's 45-inches" and then expecting a good shot especially from firt time Buffalo hunter!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
I don't think anyone would choose to take that as a first shot.Things do not always play out easy and perfect.I feel there may be times where you just got to take a chance.If you always want to play things safe you might not shoot when there is a bush or branch in the way.It would be nice to hear from someone who has shot plenty of buff and who might have tried this shot as a first shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off hand while Buffalo was running full bore away.....at 30, no wait 40 no wait 50 , no wait at 60 yds before client finds him, gets on him and jerks the trigger....in the Jess...RW and SCI record mind you...

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Had a .458win wide-meplatt solid to go in right hip and exit left point of shoulder on a buffalo that had been heart shot and was leaving in a hurry. That worked like a charm. If it was near the end of the safari (but not the evening of the last day), and the buff was leaving in a hurry, I might take the shot.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote