THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Lion Burgers $21, from free-range Illinois lions

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion Burgers $21, from free-range Illinois lions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lion Burger World Cup Tribute in Arizona Stirs Ire

Phoenix. Offering up lion burgers as a tribute to the World Cup in South Africa is getting a Phoenix Valley restaurant into controversy.

The Il Vinaio restaurant in downtown Mesa has received a bomb threat and around 250 e-mails from animal rights activists after it announced it would offer lion as a special to honor the soccer tournament.

“We thought that since the World Cup was in Africa ... that the lion burger might be interesting for some of our more adventurous customers,” owner Cameron Selogie told Reuters.

The restaurant is offering the lion burgers at $21, served with spicy homemade chips and roast corn on the cob.

Selogie said that the lion being offered was raised at a U.S. Department of Agriculture regulated free-range farm in Illinois -- a fact that has soothed some protesters.

“Most of them, when we tell them the facts, that this is farm raised and it doesn’t hurt the endangered animals, seem pretty reasonable,” he said.

Reuters

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I bet that in the mane, they'll do a roaring trade to those who are feline peckish.

In fact, business might be so good they might have to have a claws on the menu saying only one per customer.

Gives you paws for thought huh!

animal animal animal animal animal animal animal

Sorry about that folks. I just couldn't resist it! Wink

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Yum Yum, I bet it won't stop my stomach from growling.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I guess they'll advertise it as the PURRRRRRFECT BURGER! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will take two please and put them on Steve's tabby Big Grin soory I just had to say it Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
rotflmo jumping rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
isn't it sleeping time in south africa Roll Eyes

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Rapier like wit NEVER takes time off to sleep!

animal animal animal animal animal animal Wink

One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Selogie said that the lion being offered was raised at a U.S. Department of Agriculture regulated free-range farm in Illinois

Confused
HUH? I had no idea FEA/USDA/Uncle Sam were in the free range lion business and in Illinois!?!

Do we secretly have T-Rex free ranging in Texas or Rhino in Rhode Island?

I was talking to my Uncle in Idaho last night and he is absolutely pissed about the wolf-elk situation. Well, OK, he and thousands of other hunters. Areas he has hunted since 1957 have been decimatedby the Wolf populations and what survives is being taken by the growing Grizzly populations.

Why don't we put Wolf and Grizz on the grill?

The eleven most terrifying words in the English language are..."I'm with the Feceral Government and I'm here to protect you!" bsflag killpc horse

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Are these mountain lion or African lion burgers? I'd be curious to see a place "farming" lions. I guess it would be similar to the tiger farms China has, but I'm surprised to hear someone raises lions in the US for food.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's next? Free range lion hunts in Illinois sofa

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Canned burgers?

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
does it taste like chicken!!!!! or P@#*Y

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Gents

Back in tha late 70's or early 80's I was dining in a very nice restaurant in Great Falls, Va., the Serbian Crown (still in business!).

That was in my (already heavy) D.R. days but before my safari days. They had lion on the menu as a special. After a few vodkas (slushy with fruit) I was served my entre. The lion was nice and "different". It was much like a pot roast. Very interesting. Looking back I'm happy to say that I tried it.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting the lion burger butcher By Annalyn Censky, staff reporter

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A small Arizona restaurant found itself at the center of a nationwide backlash that included a bomb threat after it announced plans to offer lion burgers this week as part of a World Cup promotion.

But following the supply chain back to the mom-and-pop butcher that processed the alleged lion meat turns up an even more bizarre tale.

The story started when Cameron Selogie, owner of Il Vinaio restaurant in Mesa, Ariz., bought about 10 pounds of so-called African lion meat, planning to mix it with ground beef to make burgers honoring the FIFA World Cup's South African location. Selogie sent an e-mail newsletter to his restaurant's patrons advertising the special.

That newsletter -- which was the sole publicity Selogie had planned -- exploded into a media blitz when one of the e-mail recipients turned out to be an animal activist.

She spread word to a local TV station, and the news has since circled the globe, even garnering a brief write-up in the online version of London's Daily Telegraph.

Lion burgers are an attention-grabbing idea, but it raises the question: How, exactly, does an Arizona restaurant manage to get its hands on African lion meat?

Welcome to the mysterious world of back-alley exotic meat purveyance.

Selogie said he bought the meat through a Phoenix distributor, Gourmet Imports-Wild Game -- a one-man operation owned by Rick Worrilow. Selogie says he did his research, and was told that the meat came from a free-range farm in Illinois that is regulated by the United States Department of Agriculture.

Meanwhile, Worrilow, who essentially serves as a middleman between farms, meat processors and restaurants, also said the meat came from a completely legal plant in Illinois. And even though he didn't know the name of that plant, Worrilow said he was confident that the meat was inspected by federal regulators.

So where's this supposed African lion farm in Illinois?

Well, here's one clue: When the meat arrived at Il Vinaio on Tuesday evening, Selogie said it came in packaging with the name "Czimer's Game & Sea Foods."

Czimer isn't a free-range farm. It's a butcher shop located just outside of Chicago in Homer Glen, Ill.

Lions, ligers and bears ...
Czimer's website advertises standard wild game: pheasants, quail, ducks, venison, buffalo and so on. But then, sprinkled through the product list, some wilder offerings pop up. Like llama leg roasts. Or camel cutlets.

And African lion meat. You can snag it in shoulder roast, steak, tenderloin or burger form -- or, for a bargain, try the ribs at $10 a pound.

So where does Richard Czimer, the company's owner, get these lions?

The meat is the byproduct of a skinning operation owned by another man, Czimer said in an interview with CNNMoney.com. He declined to name that gentleman.

"This man buys and sells animals for the skin, and when I need something and he has ability to get it, I will bargain for the meat. It's a byproduct," he said.

And where does that mystery man get the lions? "I wouldn't have any idea," said Czimer, who operates a small retail store in addition to his wholesale business. "He has his sources, and I do not infringe on his business, just as he does not infringe on mine."

He's willing to take a hands-off approach: "Do you question where chickens come from when you go to Brown's Chicken or Boston Market?" he asked.

Czimer's exotic-meat dealings have landed him in hot water before. Back in 2003, Chicago newspapers covered his conviction and six-month prison sentence for selling meat from federally protected tigers and leopards. Czimer admitted to purchasing the carcasses of 16 tigers, four lions, two mountain lions and one liger -- a tiger-lion hybrid -- which were skinned, butchered and sold as "lion meat," for a profit of more than $38,000.

His supply chain may be murky, but like the Arizona restaurateur and the meat salesman, he expressed total certainty that his lion meat is USDA-approved and thoroughly inspected by regulators before it reaches his processing plant.

But here's a twist: The USDA says it doesn't inspect lions bred for meat. That's the job of the Food and Drug Administration.

Is it legal to eat lions? Yes, according to the FDA's communications team. The African lion isn't currently a federally protected endangered species and it qualifies as a game meat, FDA spokesman Michael Herndon said in an e-mail.

While the African lion is not considered endangered by U.S. regulators, it is classified as "threatened" by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, an international protection agreement.

As for Czimer, his shop is officially registered with the FDA and has been inspected by state regulators, Heardon said.

Meanwhile, back in Arizona, Selogie is taking the protests in stride. He plans to have bins of ice water outside for picketers who brave Arizona's 100-degree heat to protest as he serves up the burgers on Wednesday and Thursday night.

"I do feel bad that people are so concerned about this. But for most people, this is the king of the jungle and that's the only reason they can give me for their concern," he said. "We're not doing anything to endanger the species."

Place your orders HERE.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wildfowl
posted Hide Post
This is a humorous read on the subject:
http://www.care2.com/news/memb...+(Care2+News+Network)

Posts: 88 | Location: STL | Registered: 28 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
As long as it's not canned.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I eat most anything including Rocky Mountain oysters (bull nuts) and caterpillars (Mopane worms). Moose, bear, crocodile, alligator, wart hog, squirrel, eel, rattlesnake, sea urchin, yep, all those.

I’ve eaten in enough Korean and Chinese restaurants in my life that I feel pretty comfortable saying that I’ve likely eaten dog.

But for some reason the thought of eating any kind of cat just leaves me cold.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember back in the 70's there was a restraurant in New Orleans that served lion among other exotic meats. T Pateries (sp) Wild Game room. The walls were covered with mounts. As I recall when I ate there I had a "game skillet" which had bear, mule deer, elk, whitetail, and mixed wildgame sausage. By the way Lion is very good be it African or NA Mt Lion.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cougar, or mountain lion, is one of the best tasting game animals out there. So why not lion? I'm surprised by pen raised lion in the US. Zoo surplus for their stock?

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
You guys need to go to Fuddruckers. I went in last week to get an ostrich burger. I was a bit sad to find that there is a shortage of ostrich meat and they were out, but the good news is they expanded their wild game meats so I got an elk burger instead. They have some great food and you can get a burger made from beef, elk, bison, wild boar, or ostrich.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess these green weenies think that while it is OK to raise a cow for the purpose of rendering burger but a lion is simply above all that and should be allowed to grow old and die only to be buried or left out for scavengers to eat. Why do they have to place some animals arbitrarily above others?

Excuse me now because I have some porpoise steaks grilling and want to make sure they are not getting over-cooked.I like my dolphin like my bald eagle, just a bit rare.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I've eaten meat from the mountain lion, African lion and bobcats I've killed and I agree with nopride2. Cat meat is good to eat. In fact, I liked cat a lot more than my desert bighorn. It's 1,000 times better than javelina or bear.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So how come you can't get eland steaks, medallion of gemsbok, backstrap of wildebeast or (my favorite) springbok ribs????????

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Of course you know where "downed cows", those found dead in the pasture, and those that might have Mad-Cow disease go, right? Just recycle that abnormal protein thru a lion or a tiger, and viola! An exotic entre' rather than a wasted carcase! Big Grin

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You think maybe these 'Lion Burgers' are made of a kind of Domestic Lion....like a friggn cat. Sorry couldn't help it. homer

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the movie "The Freshman" with Brando and Broderick. Big money people buying tickets thinking that they are getting a chance to eat an endangered species. Turns out the animals are let go and the people are eating chicken. I wonder if Lion tastes like chicken? Wink And no I'm not saying they are'nt serving Lion, just reminds me of the movie.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:
I guess these green weenies think that while it is OK to raise a cow for the purpose of rendering burger but a lion is simply above all that and should be allowed to grow old and die only to be buried or left out for scavengers to eat. Why do they have to place some animals arbitrarily above others?

It's a mental disorder called N.A.S. Noble Animal Syndrome. There is also a similar affliction called C.A.S. Cute Animal Syndrome.

Kinda like how some greenies make a big deal about dolphin getting caught in tuna nets. How the dolphins suffocate and die because they are unable to breathe.

Of course I've always wondered why the tuna themselves get so little attention, seeing as how they're the ones being caught by the ton - hauled out of the water where they suffucate - and gutted alive...

N.A.S. is also prolific with sportsmen as well.

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Meat is meat. Eat what you want. I am still trying to rap my head around a "free range lion" in Illinois. Somehow that statement in and of itself makes the whole thing suspect.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildfowl:
This is a humorous read on the subject:
http://www.care2.com/news/memb...+(Care2+News+Network)

I just wonder. Where do these hypocrites think the meat they eat every day comes from?

Oh yea, I forgot.

It comes from the "supermarket where no animals are harmed"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68653 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The locals ate every bit of the cattle-killing, problem lion I killed in Namibia, north of Etosha.

Not for my plate, however! Nothing stinks like a lion being butchered.

Truly disgusting.

I'm pretty sure it's the meat in the lion's belly and digestive tract that generates the stench.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You sure it wasn't a free-range TITANIUM lion burger?

There are certain buzz-words that advertisers use to supposedly make it impossible for us not to buy their product. "Titanium" and "Free Range" are two. "Free-Range" irritates me most.

Everything related to a chicken/egg used to be free-range in my grand-mothers era. That went out of favor. Now "free range" is a way I guess of making an $6 burger sound like a $21 burger; or add a few bucks to the cost of eggs.

Free-range/Illinois/Lion is an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Posts: 13859 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have known lots of people who hunted and ate rabbits. I can't think of anyone I ever knew who ate a cat - small or large. I guess it's just me and my preferences -and the people I associated with. Smiler (I did read that the lions were raised on some kind of "farm" which I suppose is better -although I don't know how much "better" -the whole thing just disgusts me however it was - and we have people complaining about "mystery meat" on airplane flights? The airlines would love these customers!

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally don't much care where the lion meat came from but I will tell you that cats are another tasty animal right next to the mash potatoes. Lion, leopard and cougar are all fine and as Bill Quimby said far better than some other game meat.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote