Find
Notify
Tools

Jim Green boots - opinions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
I searched the forums and found a couple of mentions which were positive. But looking for anymore info that might be available. Thoughts and experiences?

Would particularly be interested in the "African Ranger" boots, but generally on the whole range.

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana_500, Jim Green is about the only shoes in my cupboard.

The Ramblers are my daily wear to work and I spend a lot of time on my feet.

My hunting I mostly do with the African Ranger, they are lightweight and comfortable and are very quiet.
The only negative is the soles are a bit slippery on wet rocks.

Mountain hunting and the 4 hiking trips I do a year in the Afro Montane forest I use my Monsters. They will be constantly wet for days with up to 20 river crossings a day. Heavy when wet but lots of boot brands will last only 1 trip like that. Their soles are also quiet.

The Razorback is a good mid weight boot, but I don't use mine a lot. They have soles which is fairly noisy albeit with excellent grip on everything.
My needs are either something to hunt with or something super rugged for the mountains with a backpack.

The quality is top notch and they simply last forever and are quite cheap.

My last elephant hunt I did with the Ramblers.

Posts: 403 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balule:
Bwana_500, Jim Green is about the only shoes in my cupboard.

The Ramblers are my daily wear to work and I spend a lot of time on my feet.

My hunting I mostly do with the African Ranger, they are lightweight and comfortable and are very quiet.
The only negative is the soles are a bit slippery on wet rocks.

Mountain hunting and the 4 hiking trips I do a year in the Afro Montane forest I use my Monsters. They will be constantly wet for days with up to 20 river crossings a day. Heavy when wet but lots of boot brands will last only 1 trip like that. Their soles are also quiet.

The Razorback is a good mid weight boot, but I don't use mine a lot. They have soles which is fairly noisy albeit with excellent grip on everything.
My needs are either something to hunt with or something super rugged for the mountains with a backpack.

The quality is top notch and they simply last forever and are quite cheap.

My last elephant hunt I did with the Ramblers.

Hey mate. Thanks to the info. Thats exactly the sort of real world experience I was looking for. Sounds very positive.

That also confirms my thoughts on the African Ranger soles. I think they will be too slippery for where I do the majority of my hunting. I will take a look at some of the other models though. tu2 tu2 tu2

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of them. I've generally hunted in Courtney's, Russell's, or Merrill's, but did a bit of internet research and definitely need a pair of the Jim Green Ranger's to try. They look good and are relatively cheap, which doesn't mean they aren't good, just that there is little to lose.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I'd never heard of them. I've generally hunted in Courtney's, Russell's, or Merrill's, but did a bit of internet research and definitely need a pair of the Jim Green Ranger's to try. They look good and are relatively cheap, which doesn't mean they aren't good, just that there is little to lose.

Hey mate. Please report back on how you find them tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
Been hunting in Jim Greens for years specifically the razorbacks. They’re very durable and will quite literally last almost forever. But they’re also quite heavy and I rotate them with a pair of Courtney boots which I use for lighter hunting

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 405 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Victor Watson:
Been hunting in Jim Greens for years specifically the razorbacks. They’re very durable and will quite literally last almost forever. But they’re also quite heavy and I rotate them with a pair of Courtney boots which I use for lighter hunting

Thanks mate tu2 tu2 tu2

Seems like they have a good following in South Africa, which seems like a good sign

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got some in the mail from Amazon. So far so good but only city use so far, but will test in the field shortly.
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
I searched the forums and found a couple of mentions which were positive. But looking for anymore info that might be available. Thoughts and experiences?

Would particularly be interested in the "African Ranger" boots, but generally on the whole range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ordered a pair and they seem like great boots. Similar to Courtney's but a lot cheaper in price. Sole will be a lot quieter. Problem is I wear a size 11 Courtney, so that's what I ordered. They sent a boot that was Size 11 US and size 10 UK, so it's one size two small.

Looks like a good boot and I want to try it, but watch your sizes if you order. I'm going to return and get an 11 UK. Will keep you posted.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Ordered a pair and they seem like great boots. Similar to Courtney's but a lot cheaper in price. Sole will be a lot quieter. Problem is I wear a size 11 Courtney, so that's what I ordered. They sent a boot that was Size 11 US and size 10 UK, so it's one size two small.

Looks like a good boot and I want to try it, but watch your sizes if you order. I'm going to return and get an 11 UK. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the update. Seems like a good start aside from the sizing issue. Hopefully they will work well for you. Looking forward to hearing more as you get some use out of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well they make a good boot. The next step is how they are on customer service. t

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, I do hope that they get you sorted.
If you click on the size guide right hand bottom of the page I linked they give a guideline to UK and US sizes for your foot length. They seem to have missed adding that link on some of the model pages.

https://jimgreenfootwear.co.za...221018-3e29dc11-33a4

Dad added a set of Jim Green Highlanders to his own Christmas stocking for 2022.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hadn't heard of these either. They look great and the prices are really competitive. Will try a pair of Ramblers to start. Do they have a US warehouse or are they shipping from RSA?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Hadn't heard of these either. They look great and the prices are really competitive. Will try a pair of Ramblers to start. Do they have a US warehouse or are they shipping from RSA?

Both are options, but the people selling outside of SA tend to inflate the price and dont always carry the full range. Pretty sure they are for sale on Amazon and other sellers. I will probably order this year direct from SA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Both are options, but the people selling outside of SA tend to inflate the price and dont always carry the full range. Pretty sure they are for sale on Amazon and other sellers. I will probably order this year direct from SA.

I got mine on Amazon for $129. I replaced the original insoles with Dr. Scholls. They make the African Ranger using cape buffalo leather now- just FYI.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Jim Green Boots is at the DSC show at Booth 235. The African Game Rangers Association booth. Gareth Crouch, the managing director and 3rd generation in the business,made me a good deal on a pair of African game Ranger boots, in exchange for a donation to the African game Rangers Association. Pay them a visit if you're interested.

Posts: 717 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a safari reminds me of a fashion show..especially the newbie, the old timers wear tennis shoes, wranglers, and ball caps, the African PH wears boat shoes and many go barefooted!!the black African wears dress patton leather with toes cut out or irrigation boots or barefooted..Courtneys have no arch support, none.

I like tennis shoes because the dry out fast after you cross the many swamps and rivers..I like wranglers as they are almost tetsi proof.

jumping rotflmo

Just a little humor to entertain..wear whatcha want..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hannay:
FWIW, Jim Green Boots is at the DSC show at Booth 235. The African Game Rangers Association booth. Gareth Crouch, the managing director and 3rd generation in the business,made me a good deal on a pair of African game Ranger boots, in exchange for a donation to the African game Rangers Association. Pay them a visit if you're interested.

Glad to hear they are at the show. Seems like more people are getting to know about the boots tu2

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
My pair of Jim Green Vellies arrived just days after I ordered -- from a warehouse in the Carolinas I think (I have recycled the packaging). I was impressed with the overall quality, and on day three they are just about broken in. Real pleased so far. To me, they run true to size or just the tiniest bit larger.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hannay Lucked into a pair of the Ranger boots here at DSC for a donation. Nice boot. A little more room in the toe box than the Courteney. Close in every other way. They are definitely worth a try.

Posts: 118 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote