Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
One never knows how long lion hunting will be open.

Guys - I keep seeing reference to this, and I'm not sure why? Unless all you guys know something I don't? Trust me on this, Lion "Hunting" isn't going away - anytime soon!!
Now, could sometime in the for-seeable future the importation of the Lion into the U.S. for example, be stopped - yep! But hunting of the lion going away, it'll be awhile.

Larry, just using yours as an example - no offense intended.

What about the 2013 CITES meeting? I thought there was a chance for a problem then? No?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just booked a lioness hunt for 2014 in the Bubye. I first tried to book a hunt in the Valley, but lioness is not on guota after this year. As for as 2014 to far away, that was the earliest date I could get with the two or three PHs I wanted to do the hunt. So, if you are serious then go ahead now.The reason I wanted a lioness was, one I could not afford a male, I am not real patient as for as spending long hours in the blind. With a lioness there is some tracking hunts and I will be doing a little of both. As far as age, the Bubye has to many lions for the land. The hunt is for one that is mature and does not have a cub. We will not be hunting for a real old barren female as such. Also, as far as the mount, I felt like you would do the lioness the proper respect with a rug instead of a full body mount. The cost was a factor to me and I even talked to the PHs about giving her the honor she deserves with a rug. Hope this helps, PM me if you need more info.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I would absolutely go for the Lioness

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog's Son:
Ok, so here's a question for mny of you Africa veterans. Leopard or lioness for a big cat hunt? If you you were me, what would interest you more in the big cats, and why?

I"m just curious and thought I would throw this out there. Thanks,

Dan

Dan, I would much rather have a big tom leopard than a lioness if that is the choice and at the same price!

That being said, in this case the price seems to be a deciding factor, and the tom leopard will be the more costly cat over the lioness IMO. So if that is your only deciding factor then it would be the lioness. If the experience is what you are looking for then the Leopard is of a questionable outcome. Many come up dry when hunting leopard, and some make three or four safaris before getting a shot on a good leopard, and at least a 14 day safari has to be booked for Leopard in most places, I don’t know about the lioness. I think your chances of bagging a lioness is much higher on one safari, than the leopard tom.

If you are looking for the DANGER factor on this safari, you might try a tracking on a lioness. This is probably the most dangerous lion hunt you could take. Lioness’ travel in family groups with their young weaned cubs. So when you get close and shoot a dry lioness you stand a chance of getting a charge from one of the other lioness’ or a multiple charge. Exciting for sure!

With bait you will get a choice of the one you want because the lioness will come to a bait as a group, while the female leopard will either come in alone or with one or two half grown cubs, almost never more than one adult female. I’m not sure you can even take a female leopard at all.

With either cat you need to make sure you anchor him/her on the spot, especially the lioness because a follow-up on a wounded lioness will almost surely cause a charge of one or more of the females who will go with a wounded lioness as she leaves the area.

IMO, the tracking of the lioness is not only the more dangerous of the two cats but lion hunting may be stopped all together, and Tom Leopard will be around for the foreseeable future. Some places do not lend it’s self to tracking so you are left to bait or spot and stalk, the bait being the more sure thing on a short safari. Under your circumstances my pick would be a large lioness! You can always go again for leopard but maybe not for the lioness.

……………..Opinions vary, and the above is simply mine, as another look from a different angle on the subject!

....................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
A big Leopard is an amazing animal to see in the flesh. The hunt is awesome, as you are usually up against the King of stealth, cunningness and unpredictability. Lioness is a much bolder animal, so therefore usually easier to get. If I could only ever take one of the two, it would be leopard without a doubt. You will have fun hunting either.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping to be able to afford a buff/leopard hunt by 2014 or 2015. So I guess my vote is for the leopard.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote