New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tipping the Learner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If your outfitter sets you up with a learner PH do you tip him, as well as the main PH? Having been faced with this, here are some thoughts.

Does the learner carry a gun? It's been hashed out many times before that a PH should get a good tip due to the dangerousness of the job. If true wouldn't the extra gun absorb at least a portion of the danger reducing the appropriate tip? Could be the extra gun in a learner hands would elevate the level of danger? Is it fair for the main PH to have to share a portion of his tip with the learner? Is it fair that I'm out more than my intended upper limit? After all the learner could be a real crackerjack and prove to be very useful. Then again he could hinder the safari in a negative way. I know there's not a cut and dried answer just looking for some input.

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of "learners" ask the guy's family that was shot in the back of the head an killed by a "learner" guide on an Alaska brown bear hunt last year how much to tip him.

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By learner I assume you mean appie or apprentice and that the "real" PH is along for the full monty as well. If I assume correct I think it best to handle it as I've found best/easiest/less mentally painful-- give the tip to the main dude, and have him disperse as he sees fit.

Now, if said appie, or anyone on the staff for that matter goes over and above, whacks the mamba or whathaveyou, then I tip them a bit more personally.

So, does a learner/appie get a tip? Yes, sure does, if he deserves it deemed by prying eyes.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The "GIVE IT TO THE PH" thing is a good easy way to do your tipping, but it isn't always the best way!

I use a combination of that method, and personal tipping as well. There are three people in a safari camp that I usually tip personally, the amount depending on their performance. These people are the PH, the tracker, and the cook! The rest of the staff I ask for input from the PH as to the top amount for them. I bring a zippered bank bag, and envelopes with me, and when I get to camp, I ask for a list of the camp staff by name, and possition. I write each name on an envelope, and as the safari goes along I add to each envelope, as I see their work ethic, with the top amount, from the PH, in mind. At the end of the safari, I seal the envelopes, and hand them out personally. The bank bag lets me keep these envelopes in order, in my locked gun case.

The reason for the PH's input on the top limit is, he has to live with these staff members after I leave, and he knows these people better than I do, and what they will do once they get a certain amount of money in their pockets! Give them too much, and the PH may not see them the next day, because they go home! The envelopes for the PH,(and appie, if there is one) cook, and tracker, I hand out last after the staff is tipped, and the tea boy is handed his at the last meal table.

You just ask the PH, for the top limit for each member of the staff, and work from there! That way nobody is left out, and the amount, from 0 up to a point is left up to you, but you don't spoil anyone for the PH after you leave!

When you return next year, you will be greeted well on your arrival! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I've had an apprentice along on three safaris. In each case I have found them to be very helpful in many ways and more than eager to be of service. I have always given them a small tip as I think they deserve it as well as any of the other crew members that are taking care of me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Ray,

I've had an apprentice along on three safaris. In each case I have found them to be very helpful in many ways and more than eager to be of service. I have always given them a small tip as I think they deserve it as well as any of the other crew members that are taking care of me.

Mark

My opinion too. I had an Appy along once and he was a great guy and always helpful.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALP#4:
Speaking of "learners" ask the guy's family that was shot in the back of the head an killed by a "learner" guide on an Alaska brown bear hunt last year how much to tip him.

Oh this is an intelligent answer!!

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
guess you're a "learner"

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I've never asked for the names up front, but i will be from now on. If i can't spell them then at least their position-- thanks for the tip, er advice. I leave a week from tomorrow and it will come in handy.

Maybe I've been lucky. The PHs have always taken me by the hand after dividing the tips as he saw fit, told me the whys and wherefores, and he handed the cash/chits to the staff with me right there, saying it was from me. I added, a bit here and there as i saw fit (before we made our rounds), and told the ph why.

At any rate, I like your idea.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
quote:

Oh this is an intelligent answer!!

Roll Eyes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
guess you're a "learner"

Another highly intelligent answer!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The Apprentice PHs I have met have been hard working and good blokes so why not?!

They are under-paid, over worked, sleep in crap quarters, but are eager to do the job.

If they are not eager, then no ....

I know from Apprentice PHs that even though they join the clients at the dinner table and bar, often they get criticised afterwards by the "boss" if they drink a Coke, or a Beer or eat too much ...... Must cut "heavily" into the profits when they can pay these dudes as littles as $25 a day less expenses.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

Must cut "heavily" into the profits when they can pay these dudes as littles as $25 a day less expenses.

Big Grin

Tip the appy if you want. Or don't. Includes the PH.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Alp do you not think that more or less everyone is a learner at some point. Even ph's and guides. Who would a thunk it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod I haven't the slightest problem with you. Why try making more of my comment than it was? Sure bet everyone starts off somewhere...hell we all did too.
Allow me a second to explain my original comment: A hunter from near Boyertown, Pa was shot in the head by an apprentice guide while brown bear hunting in the not so distance past. He had wounded a brown bear and while attempting to finish it an apprentice guide shot from behind him and hit him thru the head killing him on impact. His loss was tragic to his family and friends.
I will admit my original post did ring of sarcasm. One of the troubles with posting on a message board is the readers of that post never see the poster face to face and can misinterpet a tounge in cheek comment . Al

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jarrod I haven't the slightest problem with you. Why try making more of my comment than it was? Sure bet everyone starts off somewhere...hell we all did too.
Allow me a second to explain my original comment: A hunter from near Boyertown, Pa was shot in the head by an apprentice guide while brown bear hunting in the not so distance past. He had wounded a brown bear and while attempting to finish it an apprentice guide shot from behind him and hit him thru the head killing him on impact. His loss was tragic to his family and friends.
I will admit my original post did ring of sarcasm. One of the troubles with posting on a message board is the readers of that post never see the poster face to face and can misinterpet a tounge in cheek comment . Al

Alp my apologies!! I misinterperted your post and thought that you were trying to insinuiate that was the norm with learner guides. Yes I agree it is easy to misinterpet such comments on a forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
beer

beer

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
The most dangerous person on safari is the young game scout. Keep track of where his rifle is pointed. The appys can be, but not always, deserving of tips.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote