Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of animal is this??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I'm not sure if it is African or not, but I know I've seen one before. Problem is......I can't remember what the damn things are called. Can someone please tell me what the name of this animal is??

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the long tailed jackalope doe. It seems to be crossing the road by the photoshop.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It is a mara (a South American mammal).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
An Argentine rodent that looks like a small deer. It's about the same size as the brocket deer in Argentina.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted Hide Post
it looks african.. could be a lost klipspringer

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
It is a MARA, from Argentina. Go to GOOGLE , and put in the search window ANIMAL CALLED A MARA it will take you to a bbc web-site with pictures of the animal!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
It's a mara... Back feet three claws and front 4 claws... Full grown around 25 lbs. and sits like a dog...

Took it all from encyclopedia on line...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
thanks guys........that's what I needed

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland, Old friend of mine that works at TDA emailed me that same photo today. I thought it was a muntjac at first but do not think so anymore. He said the photo was taken in the hill country somewhere, thinks around Johnson City. Where did you get the photo? just curious.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Damn ugly critter cross between deer and a small yapping dog jumping

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
Thank all the hunting gods that it's not African. Damn, but we've got finer looking stuff than that here.... Smiler

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Its the evidence and the result of a drunk party where a steenbuck and a rabbit was the only party animals.

If 6 beer can make a woman pretty. this is what 6 beers can do to a rabbit

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was on a hunting trip to South America once and I asked for one of these beasts to be served up.... I like trying such things as long as I don't have to eat no damn mushrooms. The young cook cooked it up with some onions and I asked the guide if he was going to have some ??? He snarled that he didn't eat anything that looked like it came from Chenobyl!. rotflmo It was O.K. but I don't much like dining alone in a small room of people.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote