New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shenzi?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone tell me about the word "shenzi?" I just read William Buckley's book, and the forward referred to him as "that crazy shenzi Buckley." In the text he referred to his black safari crew as "the shenzis." The Shona pediatrician at my hospital didn't know the word, it's apparantly not Shona. Anyone?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It might have other meanings but in Ki-Swahili it means mongrel or native dog etc.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What?

(I am assuming that you addressed this thread to me, obviously. Big Grin)

Loosely translated, shenzi is a Swahili word meaning crazy or wild man.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I just checked. Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africanis

FWIW, I've also heard people refer to African wild dog as shenzi but don't think it was really correct/accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
What?

(I am assuming that you addressed this thread to me, obviously. Big Grin)

Loosely translated, shenzi is a Swahili word meaning crazy or wild man.

That's correct. basically means an uncivilized person.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The Ki-Swahili words I've heard for crazy/loopy etc is majanuni (Sp?) or a bit crazy would be kitcha (again, sp?)

Not always an easy language as the same word can often have different meanings depending on context. A good example is moja ka moja which can mean straight on, dead right or I agree etc. Roll Eyes

And that coming from an Englishman! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I've seen it quite a bit in literature refering to "heathens".

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Haven't read Buckley for a fair while but seem to remember he may well have used the word in reference to the Africans...... So perhaps he meant a combination of all of the meanings mentioned..... as in of unknown parentage. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll now be trying to work it into conversation, I suppose. It looks like a good general purpose word.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in SA last year my PH had a dog with that name. He said it meant "Trouble".

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the word yzumu used for crazy as In yzumu muzungu or at least Thats what I was told it meant

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
I have the word yzumu used for crazy as In yzumu muzungu or at least Thats what I was told it meant

Hook,
Now who would they have been referring to??

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Having spent time in Kenya, and with long time friends in East Africa, let me attempt the intended use of "shenzi".

It implies a bit of the following:

shiftless, untrustworthy, backwards yet still a part of the mix / community vs. unwanted, outcast

Reference Ruark's writing where a PWH describes himself deprecatingly to his client as himself being "simply shenzi shanty Irish" (instead of proper British colonial planter / sahib /etc.) Perhaps as Brian Dermot or Peter Mackenzie (Uhuru, Something of Value).

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being considerably well-versed with a language that I acquired during my early childhood from my nanny and mastered in the later years of my life, can confirm that the word "shenzi" is more inclined to mean 'bastard' in a derogatory way - whilst it may be used in a descriptive way to portray the uselessness of something, one should be a little cautious before addressing an indigenous Swahili speaking African as a "Mshenzi" - it does not mean 'trouble' it invites trouble Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOC,
I'll give you two guesses but I know you will only need one jumping jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
Being considerably well-versed with a language that I acquired during my early childhood from my nanny and mastered in the later years of my life, can confirm that the word "shenzi" is more inclined to mean 'bastard' in a derogatory way - whilst it may be used in a descriptive way to portray the uselessness of something, one should be a little cautious before addressing an indigenous Swahili speaking African as a "Mshenzi" - it does not mean 'trouble' it invites trouble Big Grin

With a handle like fujotupu...I would take his word on the meaning and use of the word "shenzi". Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
"With a handle like fujotupu...I would take his word on the meaning and use of the word "shenzi". Wink"

yuck

+ 1

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Is there a word, name, title etc, in Sindebele, or Mashona or Shangaani which sounds something like "godzilla"?

(obviously not the Japanese 'godzilla" just sounded like it)

Might also be the name of a terrorist during the bush war.

I believe it meant something like terrorist when applied to the individual.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote