THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    TGTS shutting down client hunting???

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TGTS shutting down client hunting???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard through the grapevine that TGTS has suspended its hunting operation and is no longer booking hunting clients. Is this true or has anyone else heard this?

Posts: 175 | Location: Somewhere in a sale-barn | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First heard rumor regarding TGTS prior to the minister's statements.

Posts: 175 | Location: Somewhere in a sale-barn | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it is more than TGT.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing would surprise me- There are many Tanzanians who believe they should be compensated regardless of the laws and policies in place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After the 2006 and 2007 debacles, I said I was never going back. I had started to waiver. This reminds me.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
After all the shit the Tz government has pulled over the last decade, why would anyone risk time and money with a bunch of greedy buffoons? I wasn’t overly impressed when I hunted the Selous in 2002 and this crap only reinforces the impression.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13388 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I presume this article is saying that hunters who are booked from now to the end of the year just got screwed, along with the outfitters and all who rely on the hunting industry for a livelihood.

If the article is true, this has to be the fifth or sixth thing Tanzania has done during or right before the season in the last 12 years. TIA!

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
I presume this article is saying that hunters who are booked from now to the end of the year just got screwed, along with the outfitters and all who rely on the hunting industry for a livelihood.

If the article is true, this has to be the fifth or sixth thing Tanzania has done during or right before the season in the last 12 years. TIA!

I am not sure this is what the article says.

Hunting season for 2017 is almost over - actually over for most outfitters in the Selous anyway.

I think it refers to concession holders who have been given permits in 2017 need to re apply by an auction.

Whatever it is, it does not sound very good.

That is Africa for you!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68609 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The exact meaning and implications of the announcement are still very unclear. This was done by a newly appointed minister who has, from what I have read, dramatically overstepped his powers (See below). The announcement came as a total surprise to the industry and other government bodies. Hopefully we see clarification in the next few days.

Section 38(12) of the Act read together with Regulation 17(1) of the Regulations allows the Minister for Tourism to cancel the allocation of a hunting block before the expiration of the period term.

However, such powers cannot be exercised unless the following happens:

(a)  The person to whom the hunting block was allocated has failed to satisfy any or a combination of matters required by the Minister;

(b)  Has given false or incorrect information on the application for a hunting block;

(c)  Has been convicted of an offence under the Act;

(d)  Has failed to pay the necessary fees or any other debt due to him in relation to his hunting block; and

(e)  Has sublet a hunting block allocated to him without the consent of the Minister.

Further, the Minister cannot cancel the hunting block permit without ensuring that the person concerned has been given an opportunity to be heard (see section 38(13) of the Act).In fact Regulation 17(2) (b) of the Regulations stipulates clearly that the Minister shall ensure that a person so concerned is granted a right or an opportunity to be heard in relation to his conduct of the hunting activities.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification. I completely misread the news clipping.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cow-trader:
I have heard through the grapevine that TGTS has suspended its hunting operation and is no longer booking hunting clients. Is this true or has anyone else heard this?

While everything in the link posted by Anton is true, you've heard correctly. A reliable source told me that even if they get the blocks for the next 5 years, TGTS will no longer be accepting hunting clients. It will just be for the Friedkin family from here on out.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
quote:

While everything in the link posted by Anton is true, you've heard correctly. A reliable source told me that even if they get the blocks for the next 5 years, TGTS will no longer be accepting hunting clients. It will just be for the Friedkin family from here on out.

Interesting...Thomas Friedkin died in March. Very impressive guy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Damn, i wish i had my own private hunting block in Tz. where is winning lottery ticket when you need it??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13388 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
The exact meaning and implications of the announcement are still very unclear. This was done by a newly appointed minister who has, from what I have read, dramatically overstepped his powers (See below). The announcement came as a total surprise to the industry and other government bodies. Hopefully we see clarification in the next few days.

Section 38(12) of the Act read together with Regulation 17(1) of the Regulations allows the Minister for Tourism to cancel the allocation of a hunting block before the expiration of the period term.

However, such powers cannot be exercised unless the following happens:

(a)  The person to whom the hunting block was allocated has failed to satisfy any or a combination of matters required by the Minister;

(b)  Has given false or incorrect information on the application for a hunting block;

(c)  Has been convicted of an offence under the Act;

(d)  Has failed to pay the necessary fees or any other debt due to him in relation to his hunting block; and

(e)  Has sublet a hunting block allocated to him without the consent of the Minister.

Further, the Minister cannot cancel the hunting block permit without ensuring that the person concerned has been given an opportunity to be heard (see section 38(13) of the Act).In fact Regulation 17(2) (b) of the Regulations stipulates clearly that the Minister shall ensure that a person so concerned is granted a right or an opportunity to be heard in relation to his conduct of the hunting activities.

The Tanzanian Government just ignored the law and their legal agreements with the Acacia Gold Mine, so no reason to think this is any different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
quote:

Just as I was told.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Interesting...Thomas Friedkin died in March. Very impressive guy.Quote.

Might have something to do with estate settlement.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly understand the Friedkin family reserving the hunting for themselves. I'd guess that the difference between the money they loose each year and keeping hunting for themselves isn't a big number- at least for them anyway! Kudos to the Friedkins for their commitment to conservation in Tanzania. To my knowledge, they have always managed their areas very well.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
So for those of us just following long, the Friedkin family owns TGTS and leases x number of blocks on a 5-year lease. They can (if they want) allow hunting, but they've just chosen to lease the blocks for their own use?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Interesting...Thomas Friedkin died in March. Very impressive guy.Quote.

Might have something to do with estate settlement.

Tom Friedkin had to nothing to do with TGTS. TGTS is owned by Dan Friedkin who is alive and well. Tom had been uninvolved for quite a while.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dahav:
To my knowledge, they have always managed their areas very well.

True that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe circa 1988 that Tom Friedkin originally purchased TGT from Robin Hurt and Hurt continued to manage it. At the time, Friedkin also owned Safari South in Botswana.

When Mr. Friedkin and Mr. Hurt fell out (1990?), Hurt then started his own company (RHS) and Friedkin hired PHs and retained the TGTS areas and name.

I certainly could be wrong about all this as my memory is a bit shaky these days!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
So for those of us just following long, the Friedkin family owns TGTS and leases x number of blocks on a 5-year lease. They can (if they want) allow hunting, but they've just chosen to lease the blocks for their own use?

Yes, that looks like the case.

As long as TGT pay the yearly block fees and pay 40% of their area quotas, they should be ok and would be operating correctly under TZ laws.

Well, at least operating under the old laws that is until the new director arrived on the scene...

I do believe that TGT had arranged for a longer term lease on one or more of their blocks due to the amount of $$$ they have contributed to community development, so not sure how the recent action by the director effects the status of that agreement.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

Yes, that looks like the case.

As long as TGT pays the yearly block fees and pay 40% of their area quotas, they should be ok and would be operating correctly under TZ laws.

Well, at least operating under the old laws that is until the new director arrived on the scene...

I do believe that TGT had arranged for a longer term lease on one or more of their blocks due to the amount of $$$ they have contributed to community development, so not sure how the recent action by the director effects the status of that agreement.

Very interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe circa 1988 that Tom Friedkin originally purchased TGT from Robin Hurt and Hurt continued to manage it. At the time, Friedkin also owned Safari South in Botswana.

When Mr. Friedkin and Mr. Hurt fell out (1990?), Hurt then started his own company (RHS) and Friedkin hired PHs and retained the TGTS areas and name.

I certainly could be wrong about all this as my memory is a bit shaky these days!

True...but Tom has been out of the management for years...maybe a decade now. Dan Friedkin runs TGTS and has for a long time. Tom's death plays no role in this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is TGTS done offering hunting to third parties (non-family)?

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Nothing good lasts forever, or even very long. Especially when government, and in particular any Tanzanian government, is involved.

And anything money can save, money can ruin. See above re: government, and Tanzanian governments, in particular.

Not to mention the USFWS.

Sorry for the aphorisms, but they are economical, and I am very sick and tired of this steady downfall of what I have known and loved.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some things never change, welcome to Africa a third world country plus 10..Africa in time will be owned an controlled lock stock and barrel by a black tribal government, and become a truly "mordida' state of mind. Tanzania has sitting and watching Zimbabwe and others for longer than I thought they would. It,s destiny is easy to read and written in the stars. My witch doctor told me so...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote