Find
Notify
Tools

Frontal Shot Placement on Croc's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted
Does anyone have a photo (or can doctor one) that shows the frontal brain shot on crocodile? I've got the "Perfect Shot" mini-addition and it only shows a side-on shot. Thanks.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
posted Hide Post
GL

The bullet has to go directly between the eyes. If you can get a litte downward angle it can be quite simple. I don't recall seeing a pic of this anywhere.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I would think a photo of a Croc skull if anyone has one would be a handy way of showing the angles, given the small size of the brain.

It would be nice to see the mount to!! Big Grin

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Use Enough Gun - post a pic of your mounted croc! That will be a good demonstration aid.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a full body mount croc in my trophy room. I'll see if I can post a pic in the next day or so.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
on basically any animal the eyes lie directly in front of or slightly below the frontal lobes of the brain. any shot between the eyes will take out the higher brain( cerebrum) or the mid-brain if shooter is essentially level with the target. if the angle is upward, the shot will pass through the cerebrum( upper lobes). if the shot is downward, it will take out the mid-brain or brain stem. barring bullet deviation( which you have no control over anyway), any shot between the eyes is lethal. if you must err, err on the side of a shot slightly below the line between the eyes. this will result in a bullet through the spinal cord as it exits the skull( again, absolutly lethal-animal drops at the shot).

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Croc skulls are very brittle, and are liklely to shatter if hit properly, which of course will kill the croc.

You have to be careful, though, that your shot has a good angle for penetration. If you are not above the croc where you can shoot down on him, I would aim lower and hit him below the eyes.

Years ago, I wounded a croc on Lake Kariba - I shot him in the throat! He went into the water, and we ran down to the shore. As he came up, probably 40 yards from us in the lake, I fired another shot at him and he went down. We all assumed he must be dead, and were discussing how to get him out.

He suddenly appeared on the shore about 150 yards away, and I shot him in the head, killing him.

We found that my second shot just grazed his head, causing absolutely no damage at all. I was using our 375/404 with 300 grains Barnes X bullets, but the angle of the shot was very shallow.

So make sure your bullet has something to bite into.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Here is the head of my big boy...
This was a TSX thru head behind eyes from 110 yds 375 H&H...All is shattered behind eyes...the horns are visible just above the hole

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
This is after the Taxidermist did his thing...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Mike, your croc sure had some impressive teeth.

G L, What SAEED said about glancing off at shallow angles, especially if you're trophy hunting and pulling the trigger is gonna cost you $2-3K.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the help and the reason I even asked was because I lost one to the bottom of the Kafue River in Zambia in 2005. This time I want to do it right.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
forntal shot is only possible if u r at an hight,i have done and shot one a higher alivation,regards

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gordon,

I'm trying for a second croc if I can find a monster next year. I think I will try a solid as a soft point although very effective can blow the top of the head completely off wrecking the skull. If you can take the spine shot from the side a soft would definitely be the trick.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mikes croc was the largest croc I have ever seen killed in Tanzania..Maybe some bigger but not many...Congratulations Mike he is a trophy of a lifetime and as I recall he was about 16 feet, correct?

Mike shot him with Pierre van Tonder on the AR draw hunt that our host so graciously provided to us all, Mike was the lucky winner and he uped the 16 day hunt to a full 21 day Safari..He had a great hunt, and his elephants tusks were long enough to lay down on also! thumb

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are only two good shots on a croc, both from the side. Between the top of the smile and the top of the head (brain shot behind the eye); and directly back 2-4" from the corner of the mouth (spine shot). Anything else you are risking your croc sinking to the bottom of some murky river and no PH is going to go diving in looking for him.

Yes, if you can shoot down you can shoot from the front but that's a very unusual angle not likely to be encountered in the wild.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anything else you are risking your croc sinking to the bottom of some murky river and no PH is going to go diving in looking for him.

I shot a large croc on Lake Kariba, in the throat. He ran off into the water. We ran down to the shore, and as his head popped up, I shot him again. I know I hit him, as there was no bullet contact with the water at all - it is the same one I mentioned above where the bullet just creezed him1

He disappeared under.

Roy said he was going to go in and try to find him. I said I will come along.

Walter said "You two are so CRAZY! We will have to tie both you up, otherwise you are a danger not just to others, but to yourselves too!"

The croc solved the dilema, and popped up on the opposite side of that inlet.

I made sure this bullet was in his brain.

Saved both me and Roy from being hogged tied at camp by Walter!

Walter is in the process of jotting down his notes, he wants to write a book he says.

"About unthinkable things my friends do on safari"

By "friends" he means me, Roy and Alan. He think we are all raving MAD!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Who does he plan on writing the "Forward" to his book? dancing