THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The Romance versus Reality of Old Africa
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Romance versus Reality of Old Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Chobe, don’t fool yourself, the old timers used what was modern at the time. Unless you are prepared to do the following Shut The hell up.

1. Travel by ship to Africa.
2. Travel to hunting area by primitive means (on foot, horse, wagon, ect).
3. Do not use modern weapons.
4. Do not use modern ammo.
5. Do not get immunizations.
6. Do not take anti malaria medication.
7. Ect, ect…

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted this on one of the other fourms as well. Is it just me or do Chobe Bushbuck and Scottyboy have a lot in common with the duo of Chipolopolo and Adrook. If not two and the same, cut from the same cloth for sure.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Seeing as how Selous had hemorrhoids the size of grapes for most of his middle hunting career how should an ardent admirer of hunting the right way go about simulating this additionally character building aspect in the modern safari?

Sit on an ant hill the night before or dust with sand in place of talc?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've spent a lot of time in deer and high country elk camps. Good hot food, ice cold drinks, a hot shower and a warm bed in a safari camp is something I really enjoy. If CB wants to rough it in Africa, knock yourself out. I've paid my dues in cold camps, I'll go for the safari camps any day. Fly camp on tracks for a day or so, no problem. But sure like to get back to the cold drinks and shower. That is what we pay for, isn't it?

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
they were hot as hell during the day, cold at night and in the mornings, dirty and smelly most of the time, bathed infrequently, drank fetid water, ate what they killed along with some mealy meal, were sick a lot,

Join the army when you are done gagging.

Ski

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Larry, but no Chipololo and Adrook, from my end at least.. I just get REALLY sick of ISS and his drivle and when Chobe hit the nail on the head ,IMO, about him I piled it on.

No matter, he's gone onto the ignore list and won't be read by me any longer.

As for you ISS, it sure wasn't me who PM'd you wanting to be buddy-buddy. I'll see you at the show in 2011, in case you forgot.

Apologies to the rest of you.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This string provided me with some much needed laughter. Can't wait for the 2011 Smack Down.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will result in a bigger turnout at the Giraffe Bar on Friday at SCI Reno??

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
Sorry Larry, but no Chipololo and Adrook, from my end at least.. I just get REALLY sick of ISS and his drivle and when Chobe hit the nail on the head ,IMO, about him I piled it on.

As for you ISS, it sure wasn't me who PM'd you wanting to be buddy-buddy. I'll see you at the show in 2011, in case you forgot.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:

+1

Sharpshitter chose to come after me with his ridiculous bullshit about "old timers" and their PMing back and forth. So what?

I've been on modern hunts just like the rest of you but the next time I'm doing it differently. What I get sick of is the jerkfest of guys crowing about how brave they are to go to Africa, and all the dangers they face, how tough they are, etc etc etc when I know that is utter and complete horseshit. A hunt like Scruffy did is the exception to that. Too many people try to pretend that an African hunt is something that it isn't. African hunting, by and large, is one of the least physically demanding forms of hunting that I can think of, with the exception of perhaps sitting in a tree stand for whitetails, and requires less skill, as far as the client is concerned, than anything I can think of, about all that is required is the ability to shoot competently and it seems many can't even manage that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chobe,

Do not let the forum beat you up. Keep going....speak your mind.

You are making excellent points in your recent posts. These are some of my favorites:

1. Chiropractors are con men and practice snake oil medicine.

2. Hunters pull the trigger and get all the bragging rights, but the reality is the PH and tracker actually are true hunters and receive little or no praise.

3. Most hunters are so obese they cannot even tie their own shoes and they shoot animals out of the safari truck every chance they get. Do not forget the deserving high-fives during the ride back to camp for that steady bulls eye shot out of the truck. (It is challenging holding on target while the truck is moving).

4. The Safari has lost its true meaning. Lost in time because of the above points.

dale

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there is a good reason why more guys don't have a strong desire to go to Africa and "rough it" on a hunt. Think about it - most men are in their physical "prime" when they are in their 20s and early 30s. These are the guys who would most likely be able to tolerate the conditions on a do-it-yourself camp safari for more than just a few days. But most guys that age don't have the money to go to Africa, or if they do go to Africa they are doing it on someone else's dime, usually their father. And their father is the guy with the mortgage payment, college payments, car payments, etc., and is starting to get some middle-age spread. Lets face it, most American guys can't afford to go hunting in Africa until they are in their 40s or 50s, and no longer in their physical prime. Until that time, if they're like me, they go deer or elk hunting on public land, out of a tented camp, where it gets below freezing at night, and where you cook your own meals and wash your own dishes before and after you go hunting every day. Sorry, but I've had enough "roughing it" type hunts here in the States. I guess I wouldn't mind doing it in Africa if there was enough game in the area to make it interesting, but I'd still want a few creature comforts waiting for me back in camp.

As for Idaho Sharpshooter, I respect any man who served our country. I can look at a photo of him today and easily picture what he looked like when he was in his physical prime. And what was he doing then? He was in the U.S. military in a foriegn land fighting for our country - something I've never had to do. So thank you, ISS, for your service to our country. And anyone who doesn't understand the sacrifices a man makes for his country or his family, and the resulting toll it takes on his mind and body, is just not looking at the big picture.

Just one more thing. If someone wants to go to Africa and do a two-week walking safari in a primitive area - go for it! But just remember, back when Selous hunted, he wasn't trying to emulate someone who came 100 or more years before him (hunting with spears?). He was just hunting the way guys hunted back then. I'm pretty sure he would have used a Toyota truck if it had been available to him. I think every American hunter who sets foot on African soil with a rifle in his hand knows he is doing something special. When you hunt there you are climbing kopjes that looked exactly the same way 100,000 years ago, and picking thorns out of your boots and clothes just like the guys did 100 or more years ago. That's what I love about Africa - certain things never change.

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said!!!!!

+1000

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Molepole is quite right, the jeep is todays "horse" but I think the analogy with selous is a bit misleading, Selous was a pro, where as, I think the majority on this forum (other than PHs) go to Africa as part of a hobby. I am in my twenties and no I was not born with a silver spoon stuck up my arse, but I prioritise my outgoings and have hunted aborad a number of years including africa several times. i still think the best hunts are those where you have to work really hard to make the shot, and the more basic the accommodaton the better, but in saying that I still require cold beer etc. even on a tented hunt.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think there is a good reason why more guys don't have a strong desire to go to Africa and "rough it" on a hunt. Think about it - most men are in their physical "prime" when they are in their 20s and early 30s. These are the guys who would most likely be able to tolerate the conditions on a do-it-yourself camp safari for more than just a few days. But most guys that age don't have the money to go to Africa, or if they do go to Africa they are doing it on someone else's dime, usually their father. And their father is the guy with the mortgage payment, college payments, car payments, etc., and is starting to get some middle-age spread. Lets face it, most American guys can't afford to go hunting in Africa until they are in their 40s or 50s, and no longer in their physical prime. Until that time, if they're like me, they go deer or elk hunting on public land, out of a tented camp, where it gets below freezing at night, and where you cook your own meals and wash your own dishes before and after you go hunting every day. Sorry, but I've had enough "roughing it" type hunts here in the States. I guess I wouldn't mind doing it in Africa if there was enough game in the area to make it interesting, but I'd still want a few creature comforts waiting for me back in camp.

As for Idaho Sharpshooter, I respect any man who served our country. I can look at a photo of him today and easily picture what he looked like when he was in his physical prime. And what was he doing then? He was in the U.S. military in a foriegn land fighting for our country - something I've never had to do. So thank you, ISS, for your service to our country. And anyone who doesn't understand the sacrifices a man makes for his country or his family, and the resulting toll it takes on his mind and body, is just not looking at the big picture.

Just one more thing. If someone wants to go to Africa and do a two-week walking safari in a primitive area - go for it! But just remember, back when Selous hunted, he wasn't trying to emulate someone who came 100 or more years before him (hunting with spears?). He was just hunting the way guys hunted back then. I'm pretty sure he would have used a Toyota truck if it had been available to him. I think every American hunter who sets foot on African soil with a rifle in his hand knows he is doing something special. When you hunt there you are climbing kopjes that looked exactly the same way 100,000 years ago, and picking thorns out of your boots and clothes just like the guys did 100 or more years ago. That's what I love about Africa - certain things never change.

Glen

I don't think anybody could have put it better....Welcome to the forum! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if everyones gonna get after it in reno, where at? Sounds like something I'd enjoy gettin in the middle of. Don't know anyone here personally I don't think but I wouldn't mind givin Chode a run for his money.

All the bigguns line up and all the little ones pair up !

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm...The Romance versus Reality of Old Africa
I read all the books. From Green Hills to Horn, to Something of Value, to Under Kilimanjaro, and soaked up all the articles and DVD's I could- including Saeeds! I guess that's the "romance" in a way. But I intend to make my next hunt as close to modern as I can - just like the figures in those books did.

I don't intend to wear the clothing of 100 years ago, travel by the modes they used then, risk my health as they did, nor hunt with 4 bore black powder and 4 ounce ball.
(BTW, Selous had a nice double rifle (state of the art?) when he started, but he was robbed of it...that'll teach him to try to make it easy!) I am not trying to reproduce some ancient trip - Selous would think you're nuts for doing such a thing. I noticed the title "Romance vs. Reality" and REALITY is a modern Toyota Rifle Hunt with lodges and ice and anti-malarials. The "romance"(?) is the mud and disease and deprivation...who says love is dead? Common sense might be in the ICU though...

While there has been some bad manners shown in this thread, no advice for manners will be offered, it would not be heeded anyway. And those that might heed it, don't need it.

Hey Rich - nice pic man! Nice of Chobe to publish it. I didn't catch his photo though...
Wink

54 days to wait for me, and I like the fact that there is enough enjoyment to anticipate it, to count the days...life is a journey, not a destination and all that...

Don't sweat the small stuff...

Steve H
NRA Benefactor Member
"Most of my money I spent on reloading, hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted."

Posts: 43 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SteveH,

he just didn't want to embarrass me by comparing chubby old ISS at the fire to his buff/trim self with his 100lbs a side Elephant or 54 inch Cape Buffalo, or Black maned Kalahari Lion, or one of his 200+lb nine foot leopards or his Black Rhino.

Us old geezers appreciate the generosity of people like him. I am looking forward to visiting with him next SCI Reno so we can compare "Close Order Drill" from my days at Ranger School to this "New Wave" stuff he trains with.

Thanks for the support.

Rich

Do you think the Cardinals T-shirt makes me look like I'm retaining water?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
i have guided a number of these and they usually lose their romance by about day three !!

'Um, check, please...!'

Nice. rotflmo

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Water? Not retaining water, wine maybe, but defintely not water!
Big Grin
The wine glass in the bush is a civilized touch, you old softie..now wonder you rub CB the wrong way! Imagine trying to enjoy yourself on a hunting trip! Why your expression just shouts "I wonder what the peasants are doing today?"

Steve H
NRA Benefactor Member
"Most of my money I spent on reloading, hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted."

Posts: 43 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chobe
Did I miss this, or did you forget to say who the outfitter is, what country, what "your friend the PH's name is, when you are going and what species you will be hunting (other than hunting for responses to this thread?)?

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
SteveH,

he just didn't want to embarrass me by comparing chubby old ISS at the fire to his buff/trim self with his 100lbs a side Elephant or 54 inch Cape Buffalo, or Black maned Kalahari Lion, or one of his 200+lb nine foot leopards or his Black Rhino.

Us old geezers appreciate the generosity of people like him. I am looking forward to visiting with him next SCI Reno so we can compare "Close Order Drill" from my days at Ranger School to this "New Wave" stuff he trains with.

Thanks for the support.

Rich

Do you think the Cardinals T-shirt makes me look like I'm retaining water?

patriot

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for the record,
How many Buff & whipped AR butts can I.S.S. actually lay claim to?...... popcorn

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
Just for the record,
How many Buff & whipped AR butts can I.S.S. actually lay claim to?...... popcorn

LOL I am sure ISS has kicked many a non AR ass not to mention killed a stack of commie North Vietnamese about two stories high.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry not interested in old war stories,
Just whats riveted to his AR title belt.

Im betting there will be three big hits in Reno next year,
1. SB hitting ISS,
2. ISS hiting the ground,
3. ThE ambulance hitting 100mph taking ISS to hospital.

Dont go to Reno next year, cause you too might just wind up in hospital,... bringing your friend I.S.S. flowers..... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I have a real name and real location here, you can call me Rich if you want. The answer is One, and nobody has called me out yet.
People have actually seen me, the first Hoot-n-Shoot for instance, and two SCI Reno's for example. Shot with me at HnH-I. Heck, one guy even bunked me at his house. I got Boomie in the SHOT Show two years ago, lots of people can vouch for my existence and sterling character.

Perhaps you would care to enlighten us with some lurid tales of your wartime exploits, or your real name or what time zone you actually reside in...? Gives you a lot more credibility when you get feisty here.

Don't think of them as old war stories, perhaps just a few of the stops I made going thru life. Y'see, when you get in somebody here's face that people have actually met and visited with. People tend to ask you "who the f--k are you, butting into grown folk's conversations?".

So, just post locations and a few of the names and dates in your own cemeteries; just so we know you are the real deal. I don't suppose you want to make a friendly little wager on how long somebody can breathe with both my hands around their windpipe would you?

regards,

Rich

Guys, am I turning into a lightning rod for fruitcakes?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry to keep correcting you; but it's spelled "Drivel".

Just stay focused on showing me up at SCI Reno. I think there are enough pro-ISS folks here to pony up to rent a gym in Reno and sell tickets.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Perhaps you would care to enlighten us with some lurid tales of your wartime exploits, or your real name or what time zone you actually reside in...?[endquote]

Last I checked this was the AHF, not a war story forum.
If you know anything about spending alot of time in aircraft, then youll know what timezone I can often be found in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A few things in this thread I thought I'd throw my opinion in on, since of course it's largely all opinion anyways.

first, on fat guys and tying their shoes. advice from one obese guy to another, tie them first, then use a shoe horn to put them on every day, almost never have to re-tie.

second, it's childish, and frankly unlikely, that two grown men are going to get into a fight, for one usually by the time you're mature, which I know ISS is, you have to get really hot to actually take the energy to fight, knowing very well that it could be better spent drinking. Also, their friends are probably the kind that would step in and break it up.

HOWEVER, because I know that once a gauntlet is thrown something has to be done, I'd like to propose this. Each man in the fight picks a select group of team mates, and they see who can really throw back the most. I vote whisky, bourbon or scotch. team with the last man standing wins. I volunteer for ISS team! Big Grin

third, the largest HARDSHIP in a hunt, for most guys, is before and after the actual trip, in dealing with the wife! In comparison to that the rest of the trip, iced drinks or not, is a relative vacation!!!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I just read this post...Wow, this really is silly from top to bottom.

As far as this other ridiculousness about Reno. Thats just what it is ridiculous. I tell the 20 something year old cowboys that work for me they are too old to get into fights over BS (not that they all listen) so I'm confident everyone here is too.

FWIW, when I was new here I wasn't crazy about ISS (I just don't think I knew how to take him). My wife and I met Rich at SCI and had a few drinks with him at a social. I can honestly say that he was pleasant, personable and a fun guy to have a few drinks and talk shop with. I would be proud to have a few cocktails with him again this year at SCI.

The CB posts seem simple enough to me. They mostly aren't what I'm into so I mostly just skim them and move on. Alot of folks like to "take the bait" and that is good for them I guess.

I just like to talk about hunting and shooting with like minded folks so as much as possible I just try to stick to that. I just happened to meet Rich and thought he was a good guy and figured that if the role were reversed he would say something similar on my behalf. Agree or disagree, it doesn't matter to me I just wanted to say my bit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chobe Bushbuck:
I will even go so far as to say that the type of modern hunt I have described should not even be dignified by the term "safari" it should be called "tourism", anything less is an insult to the true meaning of the word "safari".

safari noun 9/10

journey, expedition, trip

CB, you are soo full of bsflag that you have no idea what you are talking about. nilly

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
Just for the record,

probably more than you callahan.

- Mark Twain

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
So, for you Pro-ISS guys.

I was contacted by ISS just yesterday for a post I made a few days ago containing the following:
quote:

Originally posted by graybird:

quote:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Ok! Now is it my foggy over 60 brain or was there some other Idaho elderly gentleman that often threatened to kick some guys ass over a perceived slight on the forums? I just can't get a clear rememberance. Heck! I'm just going to get bourbon. Maybe it will come back to me.

Mark

Man, I was thinking the same thing. Good thing when I visit Idaho, which was just last week and I've been there 3 times since the New Year, I don't step on anyone's tail feathers, or I might just get my ass kicked on a repeated basis!

His contact stated the following:

quote:
quote:
Come by the house in town, or out to the ranch if you're ever in the Boise area. Come on a Friday or Saturday and I'll invite you to a dance in some of rowdy joints I been in. You just step up to the bar front and announce that you are the bad boy in the building. Somebody will take that as an invitation to show you that just ain't true.

regards,

Rich

Apparently my post above upset ISS for whatever reason and he told me exactly which town he lived in as the title of the PM, which isn't too far from Boise.

After one or two non-heated exchanges he posted the following:

quote:
quote:
The difference is that this "asshole", as you so eloquently phrased it, would just as soon kill you as not if you crossed him.
It's Life and death, and my only concern would be to disable you quickly before you had the opportunity to touch me. I don't think you can quite wrap your brain around that fact, that your life would have no value to me; or that ending it would be about as traumatic an episode for me as squashing a bug on the sidewalk.

and my following response:

quote:

Rich,

You're correct we're getting no where.

My question, is why did you even contact me in the first place? I agreed with Mark and you stated I needed to come to some of your old stomping grounds and determine if I was the big boy in the bar. What the hell and why?

Also, just to be fair. Your talk of killing me could also be read as threats and people go to jail for conspiracy to commit murder for these very same threats. I'd tread lightly henceforth with this line of conversation, you might find yourself in hot water, which is dependent upon who you say these things to.

Graybird

Funny! After I posted this to him about his threats and killing me he deleted the post. I wish I could post the entire conversation, however, when he deleted his orginal post contacting me, he deleted the entire PM. I only have the above because I was in discussion about ISS with other members. Also, funny how certain members of our local authorities and FBI take the above threats seriously. You can find out exactly who I am and where I live based upon some of my posts within this site. I'll look out for #1 and my family and do what I think in necessary to protect myself and my family from idiots like this.

I've been on this site since 2004, which is longer than ISS, but with about 8000 less things to say. So for you Pro-ISS guys who want to label me a troll along with Scottyboy and CB, go ahead. However, you might want to back up and think about who the true troll is for a minute. For you true pro-ISS guys who want to continue to stroke his larger-than-life ego, it is fine by me as well. But as I said to ISS in the PM he deleted, I'll call a spade a spade any day of the week.

Cheers,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
The difference is that this "asshole", as you so eloquently phrased it, would just as soon kill you as not if you crossed him.
It's Life and death, and my only concern would be to disable you quickly before you had the opportunity to touch me. I don't think you can quite wrap your brain around that fact, that your life would have no value to me; or that ending it would be about as traumatic an episode for me as squashing a bug on the sidewalk.

This is my first post here but if this type of thing is what I can expect it may be my last. What kind of person threatens to murder someone because they think they were insulted on an internet forum? If I were graybird I would contact the authorities at once to have them make sure this person isn't mentally ill and a threat to him or his family.

Posts: 179 | Location: Andromeda Galaxy | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert Wilde,

Please don't let this kind of thing keep you from reading or posting on this forum. I've been reading this forum for over two years, and I know that the vast majority of guys on here are very good guys. Of course, every once in a while you'll get someone who over-steps their bounds, starts saying very stupid things or speaking badly of others, and that person is called out for it and sometimes dealt with by Saeed, as has been done several times in the past.

Most guys come here to gather information on African hunting, and to share their experiences on that wonderful continent. There truly is a wealth of information and knowledge here. I WOULD like to say that anyone who has limited African hunting experience, yet has enough time to write over two thousand posts a year surely has a lot more time on their hands than I do. Most people come to this forum to expand their knowledge and post their comments if they have something to offer, even if it's only to be a little silly and make this a fun place to read. But if a member starts making threats toward another member's life, I have to withdraw my support for that person, no matter what their past military affiliations might have been.

Anyway, Robert Wilde, I hope you decide to stick around.

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Wilde:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is my first post here but if this type of thing is what I can expect it may be my last. What kind of person threatens to murder someone because they think they were insulted on an internet forum? If I were graybird I would contact the authorities at once to have them make sure this person isn't mentally ill and a threat to him or his family.

It appears that someone has delusions of grandeur.

Good grief! Who in their right mind would PM something so ridiculous? Especially given that his picture is posted on this thread and it looks like he would be doing good just to get up out of his chair.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I know for a fact he threatened to "TAKE OUT" a friend of mine on here a while back.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is someone really going to get whacked. CRYBABY

Say it ain't so. shame

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Robert,

Please don't let this one unfortunate individual push you away from this website. He is certainly the exception rather than the rule regarding the members.

You'll find a wealth of knowledge about this great sport we all enjoy. In time, you may just find members near you who share some of your same pleasures. I've done just that and have since shared a couple camp fires and dinners with those people I've met here on AR, who I now call friends.

Welcome to AR!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any and all PMs sent to me from ISS disappeared this morning as well.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Please don't leave Wild Thing.

I'll be your friend.

Just ignore the crap and you may learn something. I know it looks like along shot but you may get lucky. wave