Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite safari book
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted
On the heels of T. Carrs post about terrible books on safari, what is your favorite safari book.

My current #1 pick is African Adventures by john Burger.

But followed by a close second is tales of the african frontier by J.A. Hunter

Please feel free to post praise for books written by authors other than the infamous PHC (Peter Hathaway Capstick).

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My absolute favorite is Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob. The best.

TR's African Game Trails is right up there at the very top, too.

Although it's focus is elephant only, I think James Sutherland's The Adventures of an Elephant Hunter is also can't put down good.

I agree about Capstick, BTW. He had a way with words, but was far too melodramatic for my tastes.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:
My absolute favorite is Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark.

-Bob F.

Ditto!!!

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what you think of the man, PHC's "Death in the long grass" was what got my blood running fast.

Glen A. Vaughn

Posts: 23 | Location: Texas, Afghanistan and Iraq | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
White Hunters by Brian Herne is very good as is Selous A Hunters Wanderings in Africa. Most anything by Peter Beard makes a good read.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Nyama by Bror von Blixen Finecke
"Som Officer och storviltsjägare i Turkana" by Eric von Otter

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heart of the Hunter - Edison Marshall ... thumb

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed "Death in the Long Grass." I'm glad to see "Horn of the Hunter" listed in some of the other posts; I bought it yesterday and am going to start reading it next week.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not exactly Safari books but I enjoy anything by Jim Corbett or Kenith Anderson.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toss up:

Horn of the Hunter
Anything by JA Hunter

Another great read is "Shoot Straight, Stay Alive" by Fred Bartlett

+ 150 Posts - Lost password in last switchover

Posts: 42 | Location: KCMO - But always an Okie | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Death In the Long Grass. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although it was Capstick's Death In The Long Grass that helped ignite my passion for everthing African...

and I've probably learned more about African hunting by reading Boddington than anyone else...

my favorite read has to be Horn of the Hunter.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will vote for Horn of the Hunter as well.
Bill

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I also began reading capstick and i really enjoyed most of his books, he has the ability to inspire a lust for the grand safari life. Even though there are some questions over his stories authenticity, they are excellent reads, he could have made some better choices on the books he chose for his reprints.

Bodddington is also another one of my favorites, in rereading Mount Kenya To the Cape and Where Lions Roar, you can see how far his writing has come and how his story telling has improved. I put Safari Rifles as one of his best books, informative without being a trechnical manual and well written.

Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Anyone read Ian Nyschens, Months In The Sun? I highly recomend this book it is very well written, with some excellent stories of life and hunting on the zambezi.

Davy Crockett 1835

one of us
posted Hide Post
Half a vote for John F. Burger - (Horned Death) and the other half for for anything J.A. Hunter

Regards
Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read all of Capstick's books and enjoyed the entertainment to the hilt. However, you guys might consider the following older stories as they are terrific. It speaks of a time on the dark continent that will never return.
Dark Safari by John Bierman - about Stanley's search for Livingstone. One hell of a read.
Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton by Edward Rice - an in depth treatment of the man most remembered for finding the source of the Nile and his rivalry with Speake
The White Nile by Alan Moorehead - a terrific book that really tells the story of the European colonial race into darkest Africa
Wild Beasts and Their Ways by Sir Samual Baker as well as his diaries of African exploration. It makes you want to buy a 4 bore and go git 'em!

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to "Maneaters and Marauders" by John Taylor.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark.

Ol` Bob said it best.

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajcj:
Anyone read Ian Nyschens, Months In The Sun? I highly recomend this book it is very well written, with some excellent stories of life and hunting on the zambezi.

I think "Months of the Sun" may be the most beautifully written hunting book I have ever read, and definitely one of my favorites.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajcj:

I have a signed copy of that book...good story and beautifully bound. Elephant hunting the Zambezi Valley focusing on the years 1947-1958.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Greg R i knew you would chime in on Ian Nyscens book, thanks to greg for loaning it to me, It is truly a well written book. I think that is why capsticks books did so well they were written in an exciting way, many of the old books are just written poorly and are painfully boring to read.

Davy Crockett 1835

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
With A Gun in Good Country / Manning

Through a dazzling series of stories the magic of Africa comes alive. Manning grew up in Africa and was a game cropping ranger, a professional (then known as white) hunter and later a wildlife biologist. He is a bit of a combination of professional hunter and a man who enjoys hunting for himself for the sheer adventure.

The good country through which he hunted, the countries from which the stories in this book emerge include Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Botswana and South Africa. While the way of life described herein has certainly changed, these memorable big game hunting adventures make the magic of Africa come alive again.

"The book provides a look at how (hunting) used to be, how it is, and possibly how it will be. It also gives the reader an insight as to why anyone who has ever hunted in Africa wants to return. ... This is a book any hunter will enjoy. ... For those actually planning (a hunt), it is recommended reading. It provides excellent coverage of the countries discussed and what a hunter can expect of the countries, the game and the people. The coverage of Zambia is particularly good." --Reviewed in Gun Week

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stromberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
Not exactly Safari books but I enjoy anything by Jim Corbett or Kenith Anderson.

Pete,
count me in for Kenneth Andersons.

His 8 Books are blood-chilling tributes to the dying jungles of his homeland

-- Nine Man-Eaters and one Rogue 1954,
-- Man-Eaters and Jungle Killers 1957,
-- Black Panther of Sivanipalli 1959,
-- The Call of the Man-Eater 1961,
-- This is the Jungle 1964,
-- The Tiger Roars 1967,
-- Tales from the Indian Jungle 1970,
-- Jungles Long Ago 1976.

Keep safe and good hunting as always,

Stromberg

,____,
//'___________________________________________________
Thinking without Banisters

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read most of the books mentioned here and have some of the others I haven't gotten to yet. As several above have mentioned "Months of the Sun" is my favorite to date. Another excellent read (not yet mentioned) is "The Hunting Imperative" by Richard Harland (was appointed as an honorary game ranger at age 17). Had the privilege of spending several evenings around the fire with him at Chifuti's camp in '04. What a gentleman and what a hunting career.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.trophyroombooks.com/

check this out if you want rare or hard to get books first editions ect, warning books will range from about a hundred bucks to thousands, let me know what you think thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I loved "Use Enough Gun" by Ruark. Hunting in Africa & India.

But I had always been told to read "Horn of the Hunter". I recently bought it and was a little disappointed.

Not in the writing, It was all fantastic, but that about 1/2 of "Horn of the hunter" had been reprinted in "Use enough Gun".

I read them in the wrong order.

Oh well - I enjoyed it just as much the second time around.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Something of Value" is among my favorites.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too many books, not enough time.
Think I'll go hunt something.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yellowstone:

Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton by Edward Rice - an in depth treatment of the man most remembered for finding the source of the Nile and his rivalry with Speake

Just bought a first edition from Alibris.com for $5.00

Looking forward to reading it

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much anything by Jim Corbett or Sir Samuel Baker. Cool

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read many, if not most of the books mentioned. I would have to say, that my all time favorite was Nyschen's "MONTHS OF THE SUN". I am lucky enough to have a signed copy and to have spent an entire afternoon with Mr. Nyschens four months prior to his passing last year.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Book of the Lion, Sir Alfred Pease. African Game Trails, Theodore Rooselvelt.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't believe you guys. You failed to mention a most recent book authored by some of the finest minds in the universe. The AR book!
Well, maybe Ruark, Hemmingway, Capstick, and even Boddington books would be a close second.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As most of you know, I have been on a binge of reading all types of African hunting related books I can afford.

I have worked up a list and rated them based on how I like them.

Here are a few I rate as 9 or 10 out of 10.

Horn of the Hunter by Ruark
Use Enough Gun by Ruark
Man-eaters of Tsavo by Patterson
African Game Trails by Roosevelt
Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by WMD Bell
Safari- A Chronicle of Adventure by Bull
Tales of a Trophy Hunter in Africa by Flack
A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa by Selous
The Covenant by Michener
All of James Corbett's books on hunting in India
The Last Safari by VanBuskirk
African Epic - the Story of Paul Grobler by Harland
Heat, Thirst and Ivory by Everett
King of the Kikuyu by Boyes
The Ivory Trail by Bulpin
The Company of Adventurers by Boyes
All of John Burger's books - (Horn of the Hunter is the best)
Two Hearts, One Passion by Cabela
Months of the Son by Nyschens
All of J. A. Hunter's books as well.
After Big Game in Central Africa by Foa

For gun advice-
Safari Rifles by Boddington
Rifles for Africa by Woods
Perfect Shot by Roberson

Capstick gets a lot of attention and he is a good writer. I found his books pretty good but not great. Worth reading but not at the top of my list.

This is a mix of new and old but all are very good.

That is my 2 cents worth.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a hard one. I guess I would have to say Death in the Long Grass. That is the one that started it all for me, although I now own quite a few books on African hunting. I remember when I was having drinks with PHC at a DSC convention and told him it was Death in the Long Grass that first sent me to Africa, he laughed and almost choked on his scotch!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try "The Wheel of Life" by Bunny Allen.He guided many of the rich and famous as well as everyone in between.It is written with flair and humour and is thoroughly entertaining.By the way (as he will tell you)many of Bunnys trophies were the two legged variety.Hmmm... sex combined with hunting,heaven will be like that!!

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
Try "The Wheel of Life" by Bunny Allen.He guided many of the rich and famous as well as everyone in between.It is written with flair and humour and is thoroughly entertaining.By the way (as he will tell you)many of Bunnys trophies were the two legged variety.Hmmm... sex combined with hunting,heaven will be like that!!

Sadly,

Bunny's book did not impress me too much.

I have far too many African hunting books to be able to pick one single favourite.

One day I will sit down and make a list of them, but so far I have not gotten the time to catalogue several hundred excellent books.

Some are rare and some are very old. But each comes out with a story of a life one almost feels is living while reading them

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Hunter" by JA Hunter

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote